• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Diver: Sub Wars |OT| Deep Deep Down

phanphare

Banned
They had good intentions with this game but it´s broken on so many levels. Calling this a f2p game is a shame. Unlocking major parts of the game for money only as well as better subs makes it just a demo and pay2win. I like the immersion of a sub in full 3d under water but whats the point of the periscope? you can´t even stay under water to see above the surface. Morse chat is a nice addition but only nintendo could add it as the only way to communicate. You have a mic and a cam in every defice. Just use it. Graphics are aweful. It´s confusing to see a first party nintendo title with such a lack of polish.

you can play against similarly ranked opponents as opposed to random ones so the "pay-to-win" aspect can be avoided

Raitaro

Nintendo is not one person,
they are a company with many teams,
from 1st to 3rd party.
They chase many ideas, and this one came to fruition.

I mean, I don't really think that's a fair comparison. The budget/man-hours for a title like this is not comparable to a full Metroid/Star-Fox/F-Zero. This is more in line with Sakura Samurai, Dillon's Rolling Western, or Ketzal's Corridors.

You are aware that Vitei, the developer of Steeldiver, has nothing to do with any of your wishes? Sub-Wars doesn't influence anything you listed there even remotely.

Lol. IPS don't make good games. A 10 dollar sub game is cool. You can try it for free! You are being very dramatic here.

All of you make very valid points, and I'm glad that this smaller title - made by just one of Nintendo's many, many teams, apparently is being enjoyed by some people.

Regarding the "being dramatic": I blame that on the post Nintendo Direct-hype at the time of posting. Not really an excuse but hey, I'm only human :)

The stylized historical submarines in the game's premium shop (for those wondering what's in the premium shop, the five historical-based submarines mentioned in the Nintendo Direct are all that's in there). The $1 price point for each is a bargain, as well: as far as I can see, all content currently in the game can be bought for around $16, including tax (premium version unlock for $10, 5 stylized historical submarines at $1 each, plus tax on all of the aforementioned).

For a F2P game, this is rather unheard of!

Something that I find interesting, though, is that the submarines in the shop have their release dates listed (February 14, 2014) and "NEW" designations, which leads me to believe that they might add more in the future.

For those who are using the free version but wonder what the five stylized historical submarines are, here's the in-game designations of each, and links to the Wikipedia article on each class:

Sen Toku I-400
Gato Class
Surcouf
Type VII U-Boat
HMS X1

I got myself an I-400 class, because it, historically, was a submarine aircraft carrier (Disclaimer: the I-400 does not launch planes in Steel Diver: Sub Wars)!

Regiruler

Periscope is good if you're trying to find the supply ship or need a bearing on your surroundings.
If you're skilled you can move while using it without hindrance, although you can't see your sonar.

I just bought premium, I like the single player missions.

I don't really think it's that much of a pay to win, though, considering that if your good the power advantage from the higher class subs isn't too overwhelming. Just get Sub 2 and load up with some crew, and you should be good until people start unlocking some of the really late stuff.
The majority of players are f2pers anyway, with maybe 1 out of 10 having payed. Of course, that one will most likely be very good, but it's not that terrible.

AmyS

Sign me the fuck up for this. I loved Steel Diver, got it at launch with 3DS.

I mistakenly thought the new Steel Diver game was going to be for Wii U a few weeks back so I was thrilled to realize it's for 3DS.

Day fuckin one!

I don't really think it's that much of a pay to win, though, considering that if your good the power advantage from the higher class subs isn't too overwhelming. Just get Sub 2 and load up with some crew, and you should be good until people start unlocking some of the really late stuff.
The majority of players are f2pers anyway, with maybe 1 out of 10 having payed. Of course, that one will most likely be very good, but it's not that terrible.
I agree with everything stated here. In fact, I would say that even the late unlocks in the premium version are balanced against that second free sub: for example, a submarine that I have set as a goal for myself, the Super Cod, which is unlocked at level 31, has more HP than anything else in the game, but it's insanely unmaneuverable (even worse than the starter submarine) and its firepower could be better. The unlocked free sub, or even perhaps the starter sub, could run circles around it, it would just take a while to bring down (especially if the Super Cod has that +1 health crew member and the repair-on-the-surface crew member that I virtually always use). Even then, though, you can dodge its torpedoes, while it's going to have a far harder time dodging yours. And if your allies are wolf packed against that thing? Well, it doesn't stand a chance.

Don't get us wrong: you can by all means get by with just the starter sub, as you can easily end up in games of nothing but it, and, at least currently, anything more is fairly rare. However, all of its stats are rated 4, where as the upgraded free sub and all of the unlocks have stats that add up to be somewhere more.

Tohsaka

Is this worth playing for the single player content? I don't care much for online multiplayer in general, but I thought the original Steel Diver was decent.

Is this worth playing for the single player content? I don't care much for online multiplayer in general, but I thought the original Steel Diver was decent.

I believe someone earlier in this thread, or the Sub Wars thread before this one, commented about how the five paid missions compare to the two free ones. I would recommend getting the free game and then seeing how you like the controls and the second free mission in particular (the first one has you drive through rings to reach the goal, but the second one has you engage in AI combat), and then find those remarks about the other five.

Also worthy of note, I feel, is that there's three difficulties on every mission. Between the three difficulties on the two free missions, if you beat four of them in under 5 minutes, you actually get a new submarine that you can use in any gameplay mode (single player, local multiplayer, online multiplayer) that's superior (granted a bit more specialized) than the starter submarine.

Surprisingly fun once I got the hang of it. Went ahead and bought the premium version since this seems like a nice title to pick up and play for a few minutes now and then.

Bagu

Launching a homing torpedo, leading in a normal one, hitting target at long range, than finishing the job with the homing torpedo and winning the match is the best feeling ever.

Prisoner

Just downloaded the free version, and after trying the tutorial, I'm impressed. It's a lot more fun than I expected. Catchy music too.

Neiteio

OK, I'm going to try this later tonight -- I'll probably just dive straight into the premium version -- but I have to ask: Did they retain any of the simulation aspects from the original? I really liked having to micromanage the forward and reverse momentum, the rate of rising and diving, the pitch and yaw of the ship, etc, all by using levers and dials and switches on the touchscreen. Do they still have any of that, or is it all direct control now with the buttons and Circle Pad? Does it still play like the original Steel Diver, or does it play like... I dunno, Descent?

Anteo

OK, I'm going to try this later tonight -- I'll probably just dive straight into the premium version -- but I have to ask: Did they retain any of the simulation aspects from the original? I really liked having to micromanage the forward and reverse momentum, the rate of rising and diving, the pitch and yaw of the ship, etc, all by using levers and dials and switches on the touchscreen. Do they still have any of that, or is it all direct control now with the buttons and Circle Pad? Does it still play like the original Steel Diver, or does it play like... I dunno, Descent?

It's a first player submarine in 3d space unlike the original that played in 2d from the side. The levers are still there, in fact the pads (or Pad + X and B if you dont use a CPP) are used to change the position of the levers instead of using the touch screen (thouch screen controls are still there) so the levers will stay in whatever position you left them after moving the pads, and you really need to use both levers at the same time to get the best out of your sub, so its not likely you will use the touchscreen

J.W.Crazy

Launching a homing torpedo, leading in a normal one, hitting target at long range, than finishing the job with the homing torpedo and winning the match is the best feeling ever.

It really is. Add in having to dodge a a few torpedoes at the same time and it's just a genuinely rewarding experience. I think part of the reason CoD style games never fully click with me is that losing never feels like my fault and winning feels almost completely random. Here you know when you've been out-played and when you've earned the win.

Hale-XF11

This game is my new addiction. Bought the premium version. My current sub is a Megamouth with +1 turn rate, +1 masking and medium range. I'm at level 15 online and climbing fast with a decent win streak.

Effect

I don't get at all why they put this much effort into this game on the 3DS while the Wii U is languishing for titles and attention.I really don't. The 3DS is not hurting for games. It's not hurting for attention. Yet they have a home console that is and they put this game on the portable. *shakes head*

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I don't get at all why they put this much effort into this game on the 3DS while the Wii U is languishing for titles and attention.I really don't. The 3DS is not hurting for games. It's not hurting for attention. Yet they have a home console that is and they put this game on the portable. *shakes head*

To be honest this game is very petite and looks pretty inexpensive to bring to fruition. With its modest graphics, it doesn't look too out of place on 3DS. Putting it on Wii U would require a much bigger investment for an untested idea.

They put a lot of tiny experiments like this on 3DS where the audience is large and the risk minimal. This game seems more like a free to play experiment rather than a multiplayer experiment. Put the same thing on the Wii U and I don't think it would really do any good for the console. Doesn't seem like the game that would convince the hardcore western console player to notice Wii U.

Regiruler

Yeah. This would have been a great timewaster for the Wii U.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
as a huge fan of The Hunt for the Red October I'm pretty much bound to download this

I wish there was voice chat enabled so i could get the Russian Anthem broadcasted to the enemy's radio

Neiteio

So it looks like I have to download the free version in order to then buy the $10 premium version... Right? Because I don't see an option in the eShop to just buy the premium version straight up.

I've only run into one premium sub online so far, and he wrecked our team because he had insane health. Well, that and the last teammate on my side ran away and just kept missing opportunities to fire.

Also, the first day this was out there was a humorously/annoyingly high amount of friendly fire from people who saw a submarine and just started shooting.

bart64

Banned
To add to the previous answer, it feels a lot like the first but some cotrols were switched. You don't pitch the sub, although that happens automatically when you're diving or surfacing. The same spin wheel control is now used to turn the sub left and right. And yes, there is still momentum to everything.

In place of lost controls you have a periscope and sonar. Persiscope allows for left-right camera movement independently from the sub movement--the first uses thumb pad and the other the cross pad--but your maps are obscured. Sonar pings nearby objects, but has a charge period and replaces the area map.

It's a gamer's game, skill skill based but maybe just 10% closer to resembling an ordinary fps due to a common perspective.

Wiz

Not sure what I'm doing wrong or if I missed this in the trainig. How do I lock on with torpedoes? edit: nvm got it

Btw I love this game. Got the premium version.

Anteo

So last time I activated a weird 9 square blue map instead of the sonar, and could not ping anymore, any idea what happened there?

To add to the previous answer, it feels a lot like the first but some cotrols were switched. You don't pitch the sub, although that happens automatically when you're diving or surfacing. The same spin wheel control is now used to turn the sub left and right. And yes, there is still momentum to everything. .

That is how the smaller sub worked in the original btw.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Not sure what I'm doing wrong or if I missed this in the trainig. How do I lock on with torpedoes?

Btw I love this game. Got the premium version.

Just hold the cursor over your enemy and it locks if you have a homing torpedo. It takes a sec. After that just fire with your homing torpedo button.

So last time I activated a weird 9 square blue map instead of the sonar, and could not ping anymore, any idea what happened there?

That's the area map. I think it changes color if an enemy sub is in the same area. Keeps you from constantly pinging (since too many pings can help an enemy to home into your location)

Neiteio

To add to the previous answer, it feels a lot like the first but some cotrols were switched. You don't pitch the sub, although that happens automatically when you're diving or surfacing. The same spin wheel control is now used to turn the sub left and right. And yes, there is still momentum to everything.

In place of lost controls you have a periscope and sonar. Persiscope allows for left-right camera movement independently from the sub movement--the first uses thumb pad and the other the cross pad--but your maps are obscured. Sonar pings nearby objects, but has a charge period and replaces the area map.

It's a gamer's game, skill skill based but maybe just 10% closer to resembling an ordinary fps due to a common perspective.
Excellent analysis. I'm downloading it now. :)

Amir0x

Banned
game to me seems better than Steel Diver mechanically, and the morse code chat thing is brilliant. Not really clicking with me beyond that, and the graphics are too rough for me.

Neiteio

I haven't started playing the actual game yet, but the menus look really slick in 3D. The inside of the sub (on the screen where you pick the game mode) seems to stretch really deep into the screen, and all of the individual instruments look super-solid. Nice sense of "place," and nice music so far.

danielcw

as a huge fan of The Hunt for the Red October I'm pretty much bound to download this

I hope Nintendo adds a "Typhoon"/"Shark" class submarine as DLC.
And if they want to keep it close to the movie they should balance it for cloak gameplay :)

Also, the first day this was out there was a humorously/annoyingly high amount of friendly fire from people who saw a submarine and just started shooting.

Let me guess: red team

Top Bottom