• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Diver: Sub Wars |OT| Deep Deep Down

Regiruler

One of my favorite tactics is that when I'm turning 180 degress, I shift into reverse when I am halfway through the turn.

Turn speed is a very important stat, although my current sub, Neptune, isn't very good at it.
I wish more subs were unlocked via single player, but oh well.

So, is anyone else experiencing continuous connection errors when trying to join a match or a rematch? Fortunately I still haven't been disconected in the middle of a battle yet, but it's impossible to have a decent winning streak because of that.

Not that I complain since it's free, but If I'd paid for the premium version I would be really pissed of. Maybe they wasn't expecting the servers to be that populated.

Yeah happened to me a few times. I got error code 018-0502. No disconnects during matches so far.

Regiruler

im enjoying it a lot but

- what does it mean to mark a player as "favorite"?

Go to stat page, you get to see a history list of players you've played with.

EDIT: I'm getting the inclinations that so far, the project has been somewhat of a success for Nintendo. I wonder if they will display numbers of free and premiums after a bit.

NeoRausch

One of my favorite tactics is that when I'm turning 180 degress, I shift into reverse when I am halfway through the turn.

Turn speed is a very important stat, although my current sub, Neptune, isn't very good at it.

ha, I'm doing that all the time. I like how you can practically build you very specialized sub with the crewmembers. somewhat a damm shame that it takes so long to unlock them all.
on the other hand it's always exciting to suddenly see that pink dot on you sonar.

mihon

I wonder how the competitive aspect of the game will develop, if it develops at all.
People tend to find strong combinations, so I'm afraid in the future everybody will be using the same sub / crew combinations.

Also, people online should really stop rushing to the mid everytime, heh.

cacildo

Go to stat page, you get to see a history list of players you've played with.

EDIT: I'm getting the inclinations that so far, the project has been somewhat of a success for Nintendo. I wonder if they will display numbers of free and premiums after a bit.

i know, but on the stats page you can mark a player as "favorite" or something, but i dont know what that means

I think they suceeded at making a very nice game. Dont know if they will sell a lot of premiuns...

Camjo-Z

Holy shit. I was on a team with some guy named Gianni, our first two teammates sucked and went down easily, I managed to help sink one guy and wound another but was caught in an unfortunate position resulting in UNTIMELY DEATH... and then Gianni (with literally a sliver of health left) takes on the remaining three subs in head-to-head combat, sinking them all. *salute*

Regiruler

i know, but on the stats page you can mark a player as "favorite" or something, but i dont know what that means

I think they suceeded at making a very nice game. Dont know if they will sell a lot of premiuns...

Favorites are marked if you show up in a room with them again.

Shiggy

I just tried the first few missions and think that I will enjoy it much more with the Circle Pad Pro. Nice game nonetheless!

Camjo-Z

Lol, two idiots were just blasting missiles at each other's faces point blank at the end of the match and... draw! I didn't even know that was possible in this game.

mihon

Lol, two idiots were just blasting missiles at each other's faces point blank at the end of the match and... draw! I didn't even know that was possible in this game.

There's also a 10 minute time limit for all matches. If both teams have the same number of remaining units, it ends in a draw too.

By the way, had the most amazing game ever. Was the last player alive on my team and manage to win a 3 vs 1. Hit like 3 Long Range hits. Feels good! :)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Kinda curious about this one... not convinced it's going to be good, but I'm willing to give it a shot...

after I finish Bravely Default.

In any case, it's an interesting approach from Nintendo.

Qurupeke

Well, teamwork is everything. You can take out far stronger opponents in a few seconds if the teamates are helpful.

Win Streak: 5.... then disconnect :(

Camjo-Z

Well, teamwork is everything. You can take out far stronger opponents in a few seconds if the teamates are helpful.

For sure. Pretty much every time I die, it's because two guys teamed up and hit me from multiple angles.

Also, people really need to stop using the Mechanic crewman unless they actually know how to fight... I've lost two matches so far because my teammates are just being sitting ducks on the surface trying to heal instead of joining the battle.

Gsnap

Honestly, when I first thought of asymmetrical multiplayer possibilities and a touch screen interface during the Wii U reveal, this is the kind of game I imagined.

Oh man!! How cool would it be to play 2 player co-op in a regular multiplayer match. Where, one person is controlling the sub. They can surface and dive, move left and right, go forward/backward, and fire the torpedoes. This person is using the Pro Controller, and the trick is they can only see exactly what's in front of them.

Then a separate person has the Gamepad. They handle the sonar, periscope, and morse code (and maybe the masker, but that doesn't really matter). They can see exactly what's going on, but can't control the ship. So the two players have to work together. The Pro Controller player trusting that the other one will properly find enemies and give proper directions, and the Gamepad player trusting the other one will have the mechanical skill needed to follow those directions.

Oh man. I need a Wii U version of this game yesterday.

So to sum up the errors, everyone, including me, gets Error Code 018-50_ after some matches.

To summarize the game itself, it's a sleeper hit strategy-driven FPS that manages to be F2P without 1) being pay2win/free2wait nor 2) allowing, let alone encouraging, the player to spend anymore than a normal game price on it. There's even a possibility of this game gaining a competitive scene.

As for being in an actual submarine, the closest I've been is walking around U-571 with an (untaken) option to go inside.

Nothing like the sheer look of horror on your face when you're watching a teammate with a sliver of health left unknowingly backing up into some rocks.

Regiruler

I've found the searcher crewman to actually be very useful in quickly determine which sonar blips are enemies by process of elimination.

Meanwhile I timed out on the final boss.

GDGF

Soothsayer

That's kind of like the Fokker Fake from Robotech! But under water instead of in space :)

KthN0A8.jpg

NeoRausch

oh wow! my team won under a minute. took two down. one buy a teammate while the guy he was shooting at was shooting at his own teammate
talk about skill difference...

I had a match not long ago (as in, after-my-previous-here not long ago) where my team won 4-0. Upon looking at the sub movements in the battle results screen (ANOTHER feature that I find cool!), I learned that no one on my team crossed paths. All four of us got into 1v1 matches shortly after match start, and all four members on my team won those 1v1 matches.

Talk about efficiency! Turns out I was the last person on my team to get a kill (the replay was of me), but not by a whole lot!

AmyS

Alright, just added funds so I could get all 5 historical subs.

Added the Repair on Surface Mechanic to my HMS X1. --Now it's time to start seriously leveling up and unlocking as much as I can today.

You know, this is one of those rare times that a game comes out that you instantly just fall in love with.

Regiruler

Sometimes there are scenarios where two people corner themselves so that there really isn't any other option.
If someone gets that close there really isn't any other option, and the person with the higher health wins provided nothing misses.

The scenario can be avoided if you have good surface/dive though.

Anteo

So I was in a match where I was the only one of my team alive and there were 3 enemies left. I managed to take out one before the other 2 catch up and deal enough damage to a second sub so he dies to a rock a little bit later. In the middle of the 1v1 my team started cheering for me on the chat "get em" "go anteo", and I managed to finish him off with red health. So good.

Axass

Ok Nintendo has no clue what FTP is. This is a glorified demo.

That said, I've tried the single player so far, and it's not bad. Not revolutionary or particularly innovative by any means, but ok I guess.

Is the multiplayer much better? Is it greatly restricted in what options you have just like the single player? Will try as soon as I can, before passing final judgement.

SuperSah

Banned
This is actually a very fun game.

I like the replays *killcams* and the ability to spectate when shot down.

It's very fun, and the morse code chat is unique.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Is the multiplayer much better? .

Oh hell yes.

It's a bit restricted (you have a default sub and one more you can unlock, and you can only use a few crew members) but it's great!

Also, this seems to be picking up in popularity, so you may run into a few of these:

xdoauS4.png

Camjo-Z

So apparently you can hold down the A button to zoom in before you fire a torpedo. Very useful for getting those long range kills.

Also I am now officially guilty of accidentally firing on the red team despite being on the red team.

Sometimes there are scenarios where two people corner themselves so that there really isn't any other option.
If someone gets that close there really isn't any other option, and the person with the higher health wins provided nothing misses.

The scenario can be avoided if you have good surface/dive though.

I would normally agree, but they were in open water literally just standing still blasting at each other. You'd think they'd at least move up and down to juke the other person or something.

Maxrunner

Oh hell yes.

It's a bit restricted (you have a default sub and one more you can unlock, and you can only use a few crew members) but it's great!

Also, this seems to be picking up in popularity, so you may run into a few of these:

xdoauS4.png

My router doesn't like nintendo consoles for playing online on the 3ds i have the 018-0512 errors and on the wiiu i think its identical

SuperSah

Banned
Okay, this game is SO good.

I'm really liking the online mode.

Lots to do. I hope it gets real big and receives a bunch of updates.

If you reverse while holding one direction, you head in the opposite direction of how a vehicle would maneuver in any other game. It works here, though, because you can quickly change from forwards to backwards while holding a single direction and still go in the direction you mean to, without needing to concern yourself about switching your rudder direction when you stop!

Glass Joe

Ok Nintendo has no clue what FTP is. This is a glorified demo.

That said, I've tried the single player so far, and it's not bad. Not revolutionary or particularly innovative by any means, but ok I guess.

Is the multiplayer much better? Is it greatly restricted in what options you have just like the single player? Will try as soon as I can, before passing final judgement.

What's the proper way to do f2p? Google ads continually popping in and obscuring the gameplay? A prompt telling you that you must pay to continue during a game? Having to pay 99 cents for a three pack of homing missiles?

I think you're approaching the game from the wrong angle. It's an online multiplayer game, which is offered free with no distraction. Everything else is just ignorable fluff, for people who are really into it.

My router doesn't like nintendo consoles for playing online on the 3ds i have the 018-0512 errors and on the wiiu i think its identical

I'm glad I'm not alone. Totally confused because I've never had issues connecting to the eShop, doing downloads, or watching stuff like Netflix and youtube. But when there's an online multiplayer game I get that stuff a lot. I dunno if it's my router or its settings (Belkin) but I've tried a lot of stuff to no avail (both Wii U and 3DS). Heck, I have a LAN adapter for Wii U and still will get it for Wii Sports Club.

Axass

What's the proper way to do f2p? Google ads continually popping in and obscuring the gameplay? A prompt telling you that you must pay to continue during a game? Having to pay 99 cents for a three pack of homing missiles?

I think you're approaching the game from the wrong angle. It's an online multiplayer game, which is offered free with no distraction. Everything else is just ignorable fluff, for people who are really into it.

No what I bolded are horrible ideas, not just for a ftp game, but for any game.

A ftp game is a free game where you can play and complete the game without having to spend a cent, but where you're able to spend money IF you want.

Here almost everything is behind a paywall. You can use only 2 subs out of 18, you can only do 2 missions out of 7.

That's the definition of a demo, a fraction of the game you can play to see if you like it; than you can buy the game for the full price. Exactly this situation.

For example Fat Princess on PS3 has a demo where you can play as many online matches as you want, it's just that much of the options and stuff are blocked until you buy the game.

No what I bolded are horrible ideas, not just for a ftp game, but for any game.

A ftp game is a free game where you can play and complete the game without having to spend a cent, but where you're able to spend money IF you want.

Here almost everything is behind a paywall. You can use only 2 subs out of 18, you can only do 2 missions out of 7.

That's the definition of a demo, a fraction of the game you can play to see if you like it; than you can buy the game for the full price. Exactly this situation.

For example Fat Princess on PS3 has a demo where you can play as many online matches as you want, it's just that much of the options and stuff are blocked until you buy the game.

The subs you get for free are balanced against the premium ones, though: you don't get any competitive advantage for paying, just specialization. Furthermore, most people play this game for the online component, where the game is virtually unobstructed for free users aside from the aforementioned specialized and stylized historical submarines; in fact, even all of the customization options (in my several-hour experience with the free version, at least) are unobstructed. The starter submarine is a jack-of-all-trades long-range sub. The long-range part even puts it at an advantage against quite a few of the premium ones!

Camjo-Z

>almost about to win a match for our team

>teammate who killed another teammate earlier proceeds to destroy me with a homing missile and lose us the match

isthisreallife.jpg

Top Bottom