• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Diver: Sub Wars |OT| Deep Deep Down

Camjo-Z

Speaking of crew (which you were doing but I wasn't), I have no clue what their purpose is or what they do. Is there a link to a post or guide that gives an overview?

Check out the crew page, they all show what stat boosts they give. Some might help you turn faster, speed you up, let you see allies on the map, allow you to heal on the surface, etc.

Neiteio

This sounds alot like Pay2Win, premium ships stronger etc. but people are OK with it because Nintendo is doing it. Nintendo can do no wrong!
It's not, though. The "premium" ships have disadvantages to balance out their advantages. For example, one ship might turn faster, but its torpedoes don't travel as far as the free default ship. You don't feel like you're at a disadvantage against premium ships, nor do you feel overpowered using them.

Camjo-Z

So this is a fancy demo thats stacked against you unless you pay the money?

lol, edited a bit too late there. Anyways no, it's not really stacked. People with more subs have more options to choose from, but not to the point where they'd be able to one-shot a team of F2P players. In the end it's all about skill and working well with your team.

moolamb

Some of you should really try the game (because it's freaking free) instead of wondering if it's considered a demo or a pay to win.

Awesome! I knew Masking turned you invisi-bro (because allowing you to not be seen is such a bro thing to do!), but had no idea it affected homing missiles... because, uh, that isn't how it would work in real life :p Dat Nintendo "magic"!

Speaking of crew (which you were doing but I wasn't), I have no clue what their purpose is or what they do. Is there a link to a post or guide that gives an overview?

There's multiple realism compromises in favor of gameplay, including Sonar picking up on moving objects that are behind other objects and the very idea of a fully submerged submarine sinking another fully submerged submarine (in the entire history of submarine warfare, this has only happened once in real life).

Also, when masking, be aware that as long as you're moving, people will still be able to pick you up on sonar (which I personally use to make sure that I'm facing a person just in time for them to de-mask so I can open fire).

Also, as a user of one of the premium shop subs (the I-400), I think my overall favorite method of balancing many of the advanced vehicles against the free vehicles is the fact that the free vehicles can actually shoot from longer ranges than the premium ones: my I-400 is a short-range attack submarine, so its torpedoes blow up relatively close to me. By contrast, the free subs are long-range and can get "long-range hits" that do 1.2 times the damage of closer hits. The trick, then, in the long-ranged vehicles is to be skilled enough with leading your target to be able to hit them from a distance where they're almost just a shadow!

Neiteio

Ha, it was down to me and two enemy subs once. I backed away from one and shot it down... and then... VICTORY. I was confused, until the replay showed I backed up into the other player as I shot at the other. The player I backed up into must've been really weak for that nudge to defeat him. Dumb luck on my part. :)

Bagu

Ha, it was down to me and two enemy subs once. I backed away from one and shot it down... and then... VICTORY. I was confused, until the replay showed I backed up into the other player as I shot at the other. The player I backed up into must've been really weak for that nudge to defeat him. Dumb luck on my part. :)
Reminds me of a game I was in.

Our last remaining teammate had the enemy in front of and behind him. Both fire at him. His response? Dives in reveres, avoiding both, and shooting the one in front, sinking him.

Unfortunately for the dude in back, it seems torpedoes don't despawn when their owners sink, so he gets a face full of friendly-fire and sinks too.

It was a good match.

Neiteio

Reminds me of a game I was in.

Our last remaining teammate had the enemy in front of and behind him. Both fire at him. His response? Dives in reveres, avoiding both, and shooting the one in front, sinking him.

Unfortunately for the dude in back, it seems torpedoes don't despawn when their owners sink, so he gets a face full of friendly-fire and sinks too.

It was a good match.
Wow, that's awesome! This game needs the ability to record matches, ha. I also wish there was an option to just go straight into spectator mode. Sometimes I just like to watch the subs looking for each other.

Wow, that's awesome! This game needs the ability to record matches, ha. I also wish there was an option to just go straight into spectator mode. Sometimes I just like to watch the subs looking for each other.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl had a method of spectating prerecorded online matches. It even let you place bets on who you think would win, and then would pay you out or take game tokens away accordingly!

Neiteio

Super Smash Bros. Brawl had a method of spectating prerecorded online matches. It even let you place bets on who you think would win, and then would pay you out or take game tokens away accordingly!
Yes, I remember that feature -- I'd actually make myself a sandwich and wager on matches, eating while I watched. :)

That feature would be awesome in Sub Wars, actually -- get a group of people together in a lobby and wager in-game currency while spectating. It'd be especially exciting here because you never know how a Sub Wars match will play out, I.E. will the one sub see the enemy behind them in time, etc.

Gsnap

Yes, I remember that feature -- I'd actually make myself a sandwich and wager on matches, eating while I watched. :)

That feature would be awesome in Sub Wars, actually -- get a group of people together in a lobby and wager in-game currency while spectating. It'd be especially exciting here because you never know how a Sub Wars match will play out, I.E. will the one sub see the enemy behind them in time, etc.

It would be really cool if you could do this to make the premium version less expensive if you have a certain win streak with your betting. Or to drop the price of the historical subs. Like how that Rusty's baseball game works (except more interesting sounding. lol)

Hale-XF11

So, what sub is everyone using?

I've been playing with a Megamouth for a while now. It's got mid-range firing, a masker crew member and a sonar crew member on board, both of which are helpful for setting up long distance attacks before my enemies reach me.

My stealthy sub:
zlCfzRgmRtcH_yesPY

AmyS

Oh wow, hadn't even realized it had been that long since the original demo. I remember downloading that during the height of the DS homebrew days and just hoping and praying that a full game would get made. So glad Steel Diver became a real thing and now Sub Wars.

Nice.

It never actually crossed my mind the 2004 DS Submarine demo was out there, mainly because I never got into the DS homebrew scene. However since I badly wanted the demo, I found it, messed around with it for a while using a DS emu on my laptop.
That too, I've never attempted before, as far emulation of DS anyway. Had no idea what emu might work for that, if any. Took some trial & error but I managed to get it running.

Bagu

Given that there are maps like "Swimming Pool" I like to think this is like Smash Bros and it's really just some kids playing with their toys.

Hale-XF11

Nice.

It never actually crossed my mind the 2004 DS Submarine demo was out there, mainly because I never got into the DS homebrew scene. However since I badly wanted the demo, I found it, messed around with it for a while using a DS emu on my laptop.
That too, I've never attempted before, as far emulation of DS anyway. Had no idea what emu might work for that, if any. Took some trial & error but I managed to get it running.

Yeah, I went searching for it since some other early demos had leaked online around the same time. In fact, I probably still have it on my M3 card. Like yourself, I badly wanted to play it. I was pleased to find out that it played so well using the touch screen. That and the air hockey demo were the two demos I played the most and I played them over and over.

Given that there are maps like "Swimming Pool" I like to think this is like Smash Bros and it's really just some kids playing with their toys.

Heh, it really does feel like they're toy ships in these environments, especially in the fish tank map too.

So, what sub is everyone using?

I have my oft-mentioned I-400 class Japanese aircraft carrier submarine! She's in her default camouflage because, as a premium shop ship, the I-400 is a rather rare sight.

She's short range, but she holds 10 torpedoes to compensate for it!

zlCfzRgwS2g7bRAhDq

Elija2

Which of the free subs would you guys consider to be the best? I figured the second one would be the best since it has better or equal stats in everything except range, but then I learned that longer range shots do more damage so that might even things out. I guess it depends on your tactics, huh?

Also, I still haven't gotten any crew members. Those guys are rare. Even if I do the same single-player mission over and over again none of them will ever spawn. I can sort of understand the online crew members being rare since you'll be playing online a bunch of times anyway, but I don't want to keep having to do the same single-player missions over and over again just to get the crew members.

Hale-XF11

I have my oft-mentioned I-400 class Japanese aircraft carrier submarine! She's in her default camouflage because, as a premium shop ship, the I-400 is a rather rare sight.

She's short range, but she holds 10 torpedoes to compensate for it!

zlCfzRgwS2g7bRAhDq

A fine ship you have there. It's got a nice balance of stats with a fairly decent reload speed. Very nice.

Still considering whether or not to purchase a sub myself at some point. I'm kinda eyeing the Surcouf. It's very tempting, though the low health is a tad off-putting. Still, it looks so nice. I may hold out though and see if/when they release more ships.

Which of the free subs would you guys consider to be the best?

Seems like it's mostly a matter of personal taste and playing style. Experiment and see which sub works best for you, is what I'd do.

moolamb

PSA: 4649 = 'yoroshiku' (read out in japanese) = nice to meet you.

Edit: I can't stop playing this. It's ridiculously fun. Maybe it's just the novelty of having a slow-paced FPS - and coming from Battlefield this is like growing a plant slow - but the action isn't any less intense. I just had a game where it was down to 1v1, we were circling each other in the underwater caverns, stopping to hide or pinging for each other while running out of air. I'm seriously about to show my cash to this dame. Someone talk me out of it...

This game is really fun, and the morse chat is amazing, just got to lv 7 after 7 wins and 2 loses.

Here is my proud sub.

zojBMM8.jpg

Aquarium stage is really beautiful.

NeoRausch

zlCfzRgoz4kZDMfrT3

HMS X1

it's pretty much a great all-around mid range Sub. Holds 6 Torpedos and reloads in 5 seconds and has an overall awesome speed.

I don't have all the crew members I want to use but for now it's:

-1 surface speed / +1 submerged speed
+1 masker usage
and seeing teammates on the map

raschi

PSA: 4649 = 'yoroshiku' (read out in japanese) = nice to meet you.

Edit: I can't stop playing this. It's ridiculously fun. Maybe it's just the novelty of having a slow-paced FPS - and coming from Battlefield this is like growing a plant slow - but the action isn't any less intense. I just had a game where it was down to 1v1, we were circling each other in the underwater caverns, stopping to hide or pinging for each other while running out of air. I'm seriously about to show my cash to this dame. Someone talk me out of it...
You need to decide for yourself if you want to support this type of f2p game or not.

Camjo-Z

I think people really underestimate the usefulness of surfacing and diving when using masker in this game. So many times I end up destroying someone from behind because they never considered that I'd consider simply going straight up or down and wait for them to turn rather than just trying to circle them.

On a side note, how are you guys grabbing these screenshots? I know it has something to do with Miiverse but I'm not aware of the exact way to do it.

On a side note, how are you guys grabbing these screenshots? I know it has something to do with Miiverse but I'm not aware of the exact way to do it.
Press home, when you want to take a screenshot, go to Miiverse, press post. The button at the top right will allow you to attach the picture.

mihon

I think people really underestimate the usefulness of surfacing and diving when using masker in this game. So many times I end up destroying someone from behind because they never considered that I'd consider simply going straight up or down and wait for them to turn rather than just trying to circle them.

Surfacing and diving are also excellent from dodging topedoes when face-to-face to an enemy. Event better if you are stopped, as it will make you rise and dive faster.

Servers are getting hammered still, specially by Japanese players. Unsurprisingly, I keep finding lots of Japanese and French players, two of Nintendo strongest markets.

Regarding the ships, the last 3 seems very, very strong. 5 crew capacity and even some stats with value 9. I wonder how durable a 10 health sub is.

Camjo-Z

Press home, when you want to take a screenshot, go to Miiverse, press post. The button at the top right will allow you to attach the picture.

Thank you!

zlCfzRg4PrMXPOs8xl

I was using the US flag pattern, but since Neiteio posted that one I decided to use his Bowser pattern! IDK if this was the exact one he was using but it seemed like it fit with the colors.

The crew I'm rocking atm give me health, submerged speed, and masker +1. Great for my generally stealthy playstyle.

Also I finally reached level 22, and Great Manatee is a serious glass cannon if you give him the right crew. Near untouchable, but get into a bad spot and there's pretty much no way out of it.

watershed

Banned
I'm now level 9 with a record of 10 and 4, with an accuracy of 38 percent. What are other people's accuracies? I am just shooting too much?

Surfacing and diving are also excellent from dodging topedoes when face-to-face to an enemy. Event better if you are stopped, as it will make you rise and dive faster.
It works really well. Thanks for the idea!

Regiruler

I'll probably drag behind you guys because Primal Origins was just uploaded on DN.

What are your guys' levels? I think mine is 12.

Hale-XF11

Awesome, love waking up this morning and seeing everyone's subs. So much variation between all of us.

What are your guys' levels? I think mine is 12.
Level 22 now. Would be a lot higher if it wasn't for all the disconnect errors, but I guess that goes for everyone.

I'm now level 9 with a record of 10 and 4, with an accuracy of 38 percent. What are other people's accuracies? I am just shooting too much?

My accuracy is 49%. I'm less concerned with that though than I am with shooting often and making sure my enemies are dead or running scared from a barrage of torpedos. Though with that being said, I'm not always the greatest shot. I tend to over or undershoot, but I'm getting better with practice and time.

On a similar note, those level 40+ subs look a little scary.
Yeah, they do! Can't wait to get to that level and try them out. No doubt, whomever levels up that high will have a bit of an advantage and rightfully so since they would have earned their way up there. I wonder now if there's a level cap and what it is.

Rolling with a Sea Bream at the moment, I'm not a huge fan of the short-range subs. Need to start picking up some more crew members.

8NSgRp2.jpg

Gsnap

Man, Underwater Base is a bad rush map. Enemies spawning in adjacent cells doesn't make for very much teamwork.

Don't rush. Wait for the enemy to reveal themselves then get the upper hand.

Anyway, here's my sub. I'm still using the first free one, but I spruced it up a little.

zlCfzRg7HckT92HdRk

Neiteio

Thank you!

zlCfzRg4PrMXPOs8xl

I was using the US flag pattern, but since Neiteio posted that one I decided to use his Bowser pattern! IDK if this was the exact one he was using but it seemed like it fit with the colors.

The crew I'm rocking atm give me health, submerged speed, and masker +1. Great for my generally stealthy playstyle.

Also I finally reached level 22, and Great Manatee is a serious glass cannon if you give him the right crew. Near untouchable, but get into a bad spot and there's pretty much no way out of it.
If you're wondering what my Bowser-themed sub looked like, before I switched to 'MURICA:

zlCfzRg8GOsAQe2Jp6

The red on top is like his hair, followed by his green shell and bright orange skin. :)

Don't rush. Wait for the enemy to reveal themselves then get the upper hand.

Anyway, here's my sub. I'm still using the first free one, but I spruced it up a little.

zlCfzRg7HckT92HdRk
Awesome pattern! The default sub really is a solid vessel. :)

Gsnap

Alright! I did it. I purchased the premium.

This game came out of nowhere and I fell in love with it. It's good and deserves my money.

No to decide which juicy new sub I'm gonna use. : )

Hale-XF11

Alright! I did it. I purchased the premium.

This game came out of nowhere and I fell in love with it. It's good and deserves my money.

No to decide which juicy new sub I'm gonna use. : )

Welcome to the (premium) club!

Rolling with a Sea Bream at the moment, I'm not a huge fan of the short-range subs. Need to start picking up some more crew members.

8NSgRp2.jpg

I like the color scheme on your sub. As much as I like my own color scheme, I may have to roll with a darker color scheme myself in order to obscure my sub more while underwater.

Shigeru Miyamoto once said that he would like to make an FPS. Between that, the fact that Shigeru Miyamoto was the first one to confirm that this game was F2P, the fact that he started this series to begin with, and the way that this game includes some Miyamoyo-esque quirky-yet-working gameplay mechanics (particularly, the Morse code chat; most game designers would opt either for a touch screen keyboard or no chat at all), I feel as though we might be playing that mythical Miyamoto FPS!

Furthermore, depending on how to-the-letter you interpret the remark, this might even be the new Miyamoto franchise (I think he said "franchise," not necessarily "game") that was said to be coming in 2014!

-Horizon-

I just got through the tutorial and a bit of the single player. This is surprisingly fun. I'm imagining this is an Arpeggio of Blue Steel game and no one will convince me otherwise.

Top Bottom