• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade is estimated to have sold over 1 million copies according to Shift Up

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
"The game is a PS5 exclusive, which hasn't seen the same level of penetration and activation as PS4, and the main consumer base for AAA games has been shifting to PCs. We are currently looking at a PC version of Stellar Blade, which we believe would be a great way to monetize the IP once again."

In fact, Shiftup revealed in a securities filing that it is considering a PC version of Stellar Blade and a sequel. However, Shift Up CEO Kim Hyeong-tae said, "We are currently reviewing a PC version of Stellar Blade, and since we are in a contractual relationship, please understand that we cannot tell you about the exact timing or availability."

Interesting. Not likely to see them sign a deal again I'm guessing.

I could have sworn the game had around 1 million preorders or something close to that? 1 million is still impressive imo especially for a rather unique, non-traditional looking game, but I feel it deserved so much more because of how great it is.

Topher

Gold Member
It would of sold great on PC. There is a large souls community on PC who would of purchased this. Especially with the rave reviews from streamers like fighting cowboy. They should of gotten a better deal to allow a PC version day 1.

This isn't a souls like though is it?

Pejo

Gold Member
Interesting. Not likely to see them sign a deal again I'm guessing.
To be fair, we found out quite a bit after release that former Japan Studio devs put in quite a bit of work to make the game look/run better than ShiftUp could have probably done on its own, on their first attempt.

It was probably a net good to partner up with Sony to get the extra marketing/know-how, but yea I could see them looking at a multiplatform launch for their next game. I mean it's basically the way the industry is headed for all devs/publishers anyways.

Topher

Gold Member
Just because the Sony players are extremely vocal about it doesn't mean it is going to sell more than some PC exclusive titles like Manor Lords which sold 2 millions.

Manor Lords isn't PC exclusive. It is on Xbox.

Disregard. I'm wrong.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It is a bit low considering it was evidently selling well in multiple places, sales must of been low on everything during that period then.

Topher

Gold Member
Not yet, but it will be.

lol....I'm thinking of Bounty Manor. Thanks.

Jim Carrey Alrighty Then GIF by Ace Ventura

Roxkis_ii

The parrying is so satisfying. Especially when you parry a bosses full combo.

I only wish the story was more original.

If you played Neir Automata
Stella blade basicly stole their homework and changed a couple of things.

Everything else around the game is so good, I don't mind too much.

I think this game deserves more sales, but Shift Up hitting 1 million sold on their first console game is worth celebrating.

First game I can remember in a while when you can unlock outfits instead of paying for them.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
game selling just 1 million is a lost to every gamer including xbros, because this shows that the wokeness has won.

Remember that.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

It puts numbers in the perspective eh? There are not many titles that go beyond 2m even. Even on Switch. Only big IP games and bundled ones.
Helldivers 2 sold 12+M copies though, but it's day and date on PC as well.

1M for Stellar Blade sounds exactly like what I'd expect for this kind of game though.
Games like this aren't exactly system-sellers of flagship titles. I'd classify them as niche, tbh.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

When I see "waiting for the right price" on what is one of the best games you will play this year, I wonder what sort of games you actually buy.

People value things differently. I paid full price and felt like I got my monies worth, but if you ain't got $70 or don't want to spend that for a game, all you can do is wait for a sale.

Jaybe

Copies sold is interesting and all, but how many women have died because of this game?

Madflavor

game selling just 1 million is a lost to every gamer including xbros, because this shows that the wokeness has won.

Remember that.

You realize character action games don't do gangbuster numbers right? DMC is pretty much the only exception.

For comparison Bayonetta 3 took around 2-3 months to reach 1 million sales. We're talking about an established IP with a bigger fanbase, on a system that has a MUCH bigger installbase than the PS5. Compare that to Stellar Blade, and the game has done very well all things considered. It's not a "victory for woke", it's how it is with this genre.

If you want examples of games that sell a shit ton of copies, and have beautiful sexy ass women in it, just take a look at any Capcom game that has release in the past 5 years.

Killjoy-NL

People value things differently. I paid full price and felt like I got my monies worth, but if you ain't got $70 or don't want to spend that for a game, all you can do is wait for a sale.
Or maybe people don't think Stellar Blade is worth $70.

Last edited:
Love this game. I'm normally pretty useless at stuff like Parrying etc, but I enjoy this game so much I forced myself to learn how to do it properly, didn't switch to easy mode or any bollocks. Just kept pushing myself on every boss until I beat them. Still haven't finished it as I got stuck at some stupid murder room puzzle thing that annoyed me. Literally more annoying than dying to a boss over and over. But it deserves the sales and good reviews.

Madflavor

Those would probably have sold just as well if the women in there looked like Cris Cyborg

My point is that I think people overestimate how much the fuckability of a female characters affects the sales of a game. Would Street Fighter 6 have sold less copies if Cammy and Chun Li had fridge bodies and man faces? Probably but the difference in copies sold would've been so marginal. Same goes for something like whether or not Horizon would've sold more if they made Aloy sexier.

Helldivers 2 sold 12+M copies though, but it's day and date on PC as well.
As I mentioned there are not many games that reach beyond 2m. HD2 was mainly driven by PC. We can see that with Palworld too. Still it is crazy to think how the games are becoming the breakout hits out of nowhere.

1M for Stellar Blade sounds exactly like what I'd expect for this kind of game though.
Games like this aren't exactly system-sellers of flagship titles. I'd classify them as niche, tbh.
The cool part is that it was much cheaper to make in comparison to western games.

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

The PS5 gamer dichotomy: buy the game to support tits and asses but validating the 80 bucks price tag at the same time? How much would it have sold if it had been 60? How much less if it had had no drama associated with it?

I guess in the end PS5 fans prefer bald muscular men than refined athletic women :V

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
What???

I thought that on its release day, it had sold 1 million copies and that now they would have 2 or 3 million.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Or maybe people don't think Stellar Blade is worth $70.

I agree that people value things differently.

I personally think it's worth the money, but I'm not going to dis anyone who may feel otherwise. I usually wait on sales to buy most of my games anyhow.

I just want to encourage people to try the game at whatever price point works for them in hopes more games like Stella Blade are made.

Topher

Gold Member
Sony spent quite a bit of money marketing this too. Seems low and the ShiftUp guy sounds like wants to push out a PC port ASAP. Probably a 1 year deal.

I think 1 million for what it is on a single platform is ok. Not great, but not bad. But yeah.....he made it incredibly obvious that the PC version is in the works. Not sure how happy Sony will be with those comments. The typical line is "we have nothing to announce about other platforms at this time".

A.Romero

Good results.

It's also proof that the market is not demanding what some gamers think it's important.

I still haven't bought mine, I kind of want to wait for the PC version or at least to get a discounted PS5 disc. It was sold out in my country on release weekend in several stores.

Eiknarf

Banned
Is that supposed to be good? Considering the drama surrounding it i´d have expected more.
Just goes to show that social media drama is usually just a clash between tiny minorities, no matter how "loud".
"The people who are the loudest are usually not the majority"

GymWolf

Gold Member
Doesn't sound like much?

Where are all the people that were about to buy 3 copies because the protagonist doesn't look like the original ridge forrester? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

stn

Excellent game, deserves more. One million is good given its a new IP and hasn't been out for too long. Buy the game if you haven't yet!

Aenima

Is that supposed to be good? Considering the drama surrounding it i´d have expected more.
Just goes to show that social media drama is usually just a clash between tiny minorities, no matter how "loud".
Yes its good. Last month Shift Up said the sales was exceeding expectations, so they should be happy with the 1M. This is a new IP and the 1st AAA game from a studio most ppl dont even knew about.
It took 3 months for Bayonetta 3 to sell 1M, and thats a stablished IP and its available to a bigger install base.

A good amount of GAFers was predicting the game to sell less than 1M in the sales prediction thread and now no one is surprised that the game sold more than that?

Last edited:
I’m loving this game and don’t think people talk about it enough. What I like the most (besides the T&A) is that they nailed the difficulty and the boss fights imo. It’s not overly hard or easy, but you’ll get your ass kicked a few times till you get the timings right or memorize some of the attacks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom