• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STELLAR BLADE |OT| Twitter May Cry

diffusionx

Gold Member
Is this some kind of mental illness to call everything soulslike or fromsoftware inspired? I'm playing it right now and calling this game soulslike is simply idiotic.
I don't know what you call a "soulslike" or "fromsoftware inspired" but it's quite clear that Stellar Blade has design elements from the Souls series.

As always there is a spectrum from "full on clone" (like the first Lords of the Fallen) to "a few elements are taken from it" but Stellar Blade is somewhere in there.

Thief1987

I don't know what you call a "soulslike" or "fromsoftware inspired" but it's quite clear that Stellar Blade has design elements from the Souls series.

As always there is a spectrum from "full on clone" (like the first Lords of the Fallen) to "a few elements are taken from it" but Stellar Blade is somewhere in there.
What elements? Swords and melee combat? Oh then it's soulslike no doubt.

Eiknarf

Banned
EVE’s body model posted another one in the Bunny Suit

6HKeh45.jpeg

miklonus

Any tips for this?

When I'm where she starts the run at the top, as soon as I press jump the first thing she does is the double jump which is wrong, I'm supposed to be able to jump then jump again (and wherever else I am this works) but when I'm trying to jump across at this particular location first time I press X she'll do the second jump animation and fall off.

Around 2:40 on the video. First time in the video its jump then double jump. When I try exactly the same thing its like I've already jumped once and I haven't.

Just cannot do it.

EDIT: not just me then :

Oh so it's not just me. I thought I was pressing X twice, but turns it is a glitch. This is what happens with first timers I guess. Shift Up got more to do.

Aenima

Oh so it's not just me. I thought I was pressing X twice, but turns it is a glitch. This is what happens with first timers I guess. Shift Up got more to do.
Never happened to me in 3 runs i did, reason why i never understood why some ppl complained about the platform segments that i never had a problem with. My guess is thats a glitch that only affects some ppl.

Finally finished the game and got the true ending. Got sidetracked by a lot of shit over the past month but forced myself to finish it today before I jump into Elden Ring DLC, else SB would be doomed to my backlog for months lol

Overall I think it's a great game. The level design was on point so I enjoyed exploring, and the combat was fun and flashy. The only real problem I had with the game was that it was a bit too derivative and therefore predictable (the story in particular - who would have guessed that a guy named Adam would be integral to the story of a woman named Eve?). Some of the voice acting is spotty as well (especially Adam), which is surprising considering how good the voice acting is in their mobile game NIKKE.

All in all, it's a solid 8/10 IMO

But yeah, I think Eve just might be the sexiest character in videogame history. I played with the Midsummer Alice costume for the back end of my playthrough and I'm pretty sure I was pressing the Capture button every 30 seconds. Had to change to short ponytail so it wouldn't cover up her assets, though...

w53VkFJ.jpeg

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Finished it a couple of days ago and :

For being Shift up's 1st "AAA" console game, this was a nice surprise.
It's bug free, it looks nice (some really low geometry and textures on many things though), exploration is on point and it plays really well, thing is, upon completing it, it feels like you've been going through the motions for the 30-40 hours of its duration and after the credits roll, nothing really stays with you since nothing in the game - be it the story, characters and even the gameplay - is memorable enough, it leaves you with a "been there, done that" feeling, there's absolutely nothing original about it...

The characters are some of the emptiest, most vacuous personalities in a video game - you have stoic guy with terribad VA (Adam), typical lolli-girl (Lilly) and as for EVE... she's literally there for the tits and ass eye candy fan service for weeabos that like to play sci-fi action games wearing a swimsuit/bunny suit, she's so devoid of any character that you could swap her for ANY other character and it would have been the same exact thing (minus the Adam and Eve reference), in fact, you could have swapped her with a burly 7-foot dude with ginormous six-packs and none would be the wiser, it's just horrible, fan service shite.
Also : the gore is completely out of place for a game like this.

Music : I don't get the praise, then again, I hate pop music and the UuuUeeeehe oooooOOOaaah Korean shite with "ethereal" female vocals just became grating almost immediately - some background/ ambient electronica during the bunker levels was good though as were 2 tracks of silly K-Rock during boss battles since - at the very least - got the blood pumping during those battles.

The fact that hard mode is locked behind NG+ was also a mistake since the game is ridiculously easy, plus, from the little I played, Hard mode is unbalanced since everything becomes a dmg sponge with you getting 2-3 shot.
Talking about NG+, and this is the difference with games like Nier Automata, is that you have to do EVERYTHING all over again by revisiting every place of the vast maps if you wanna get the new suit variations etc and since there's no POI's in the map (not even for a 2nd playthrough) everything becomes a chore - there's just no way I'm doing the same exact 30-40 hour run AGAIN just to unlock everything, gtfo with that shit.

When everything is said and done, and after the initial 8, 8.5/10 impression, the game becomes a 7, 7.5/10 one since there's not one original bone in it, everything is just extremely derivative.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good game just not an exceptional or memorable one.

Unfortunately, don't feel any need to replay it whatsoever.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I found the last camp so got that trophy now. Can I be arsed to do the fishing? If so, then I've just got the other ending for the platinum.

Roufianos

Game was decent until the first major boss. Now I'm bombarded with shitty side quests, pointless open world sections and awful unskippable cutscenes with dreadful dialogue. Who the hell thought Lily was a good idea.

Pimpbaa

I just finished this on NG+ and now I feel empty. Not just because I finished a game I really liked but because I know that the only other games we are gonna get like this (design of female characters) is until Shift Up releases DLC or a new game for ps5. Enough with the uggos, I want more characters like Eve!

Finished it a couple of days ago and :

For being Shift up's 1st "AAA" console game, this was a nice surprise.
It's bug free, it looks nice (some really low geometry and textures on many things though), exploration is on point and it plays really well, thing is, upon completing it, it feels like you've been going through the motions for the 30-40 hours of its duration and after the credits roll, nothing really stays with you since nothing in the game - be it the story, characters and even the gameplay - is memorable enough, it leaves you with a "been there, done that" feeling, there's absolutely nothing original about it...

The characters are some of the emptiest, most vacuous personalities in a video game - you have stoic guy with terribad VA (Adam), typical lolli-girl (Lilly) and as for EVE... she's literally there for the tits and ass eye candy fan service for weeabos that like to play sci-fi action games wearing a swimsuit/bunny suit, she's so devoid of any character that you could swap her for ANY other character and it would have been the same exact thing (minus the Adam and Eve reference), in fact, you could have swapped her with a burly 7-foot dude with ginormous six-packs and none would be the wiser, it's just horrible, fan service shite.
Also : the gore is completely out of place for a game like this...
just found this. belated thanks. confirms a few things i've always suspected. still waiting on a sale...

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
just found this. belated thanks. confirms a few things i've always suspected. still waiting on a sale...
Everyone is entitled to different opinions, I’m halfway through it for example and it’s already my goty runner. This game takes more than a decade of mechanics from different games and mash up them together better than anyone else trying to do the same. It’s a great character action game, a great platformer and a great shooter. I don’t even know how they managed to make everything feel so tight and polished without prior experience in any of the genre they have covered here. Add to it the best OST in years and awesome art direction + graphics and you know why I’m enjoying it so much. From nowhere I became a fan of a studio I never heard before and a character like Eve, finally a queen successor of my prior waifu Lightning 🔥
Can’t wait to go back playing it…

I just finished this on NG+ and now I feel empty. Not just because I finished a game I really liked but because I know that the only other games we are gonna get like this (design of female characters) is until Shift Up releases DLC or a new game for ps5. Enough with the uggos, I want more characters like Eve!
Pretty much all games of Asian origin will have attractive female character designs though. The only thing that SB really goes above and beyond is the jiggle

R6Rider

Gold Member
Everyone is entitled to different opinions, I’m halfway through it for example and it’s already my goty runner. This game takes more than a decade of mechanics from different games and mash up them together better than anyone else trying to do the same. It’s a great character action game, a great platformer and a great shooter. I don’t even know how they managed to make everything feel so tight and polished without prior experience in any of the genre they have covered here. Add to it the best OST in years and awesome art direction + graphics and you know why I’m enjoying it so much. From nowhere I became a fan of a studio I never heard before and a character like Eve, finally a queen successor of my prior waifu Lightning 🔥
Can’t wait to go back playing it…
It's my GotY so far for sure. Taking a break after beating it before going back in for NG+.

Opinions are opinions, but some things are factually incorrect.

- Combat, OST, and bosses are peak, among the best in the genre. The difficulty is as well-balanced as in DMC 3.

- The exploration is rewarding (level design is much better than in Nier, with a good variety of situations)

- Lily is not a loli. This shouts bias.

The game excels in its core elements. The last third is awesome. The story is not as good as Nier's? No shit. No other game comes close to that.

• Fire
Reactions: Isa

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Mortal apparently deleted all of the OT files from his image hosts across every official thread he posted. I've recovered the images and optimized them for >80% reduced file size.

Stellar Blade OT fixed. Onto the next one.

Novaex

Neo Member
So I bought a playstation 5 and a 86 zoll TV just for this game and FF VII Rebirth and I wasn't disappointed.
What a fantastic game. There was something so relaxing running around the desert, listening to the awesome music and fighting the same enemies for the 100th time.
Started a NG+ hardmode playthrough right after I finished my first one but got stuck on the first boss at the space elevator and then distracted by other games. Planing to go back to the game soon again though.
Especiallyy now with the summer update and will definitely buy the pc version once it's out.
My GOTY so far, even beating FF VII (whcih was great as well).

Ultros

Banned
This is so far my favourite game I've played all year. Put over a 100 ours into it(wish I could have put a 100 hours into Eve also). And it has also become one of my favourite games of all time. Still think of it all the time. Really was an amazing experience

Top Bottom