• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade x Nier Automata DLC Announced

NanaMiku

Kinda expected this. Nikke (another Shift Up game) already have Nier Automata collaboration before. Pretty easy to get the license again lol

ob0zfuj7krib1.jpg

Saber

Whats was better seems to being 2 times better. Great idea for a crossover, hats off to whoever brought that up.

Last edited:
Considering that Nier is all about multidimensional shit before that trope became grossly exploited, it should relatively easy to make those two worlds collide. I hope they do it right.
Yoko Taro basically made EVERY crossover, canon to Nier Automata. Yes, that means all the fighting games, all the FFXIV and now Stellar Blade all are canon to Nier Automata. This is only possible because he gets personally involved with every project and doesn't let anyone else write them.

Project EVE

Neo Member
Wait, is the Nier DLC free or paid?

And the photo mode lets you choose any angle and zoom in, right? Also frame skip photo mode it is right? More details please.

yogaflame

If this is a DLC, I hope with 2b in the game, they will add levels, map, stages, new monsters, a new story or even bonus alternate ending.

Pimpbaa

I hope this this is more than just outfits and photo mode. I mean I’m already on my third playthrough in Stellar Blade, i need some more levels.

NanaMiku

Yoko Taro basically made EVERY crossover, canon to Nier Automata. Yes, that means all the fighting games, all the FFXIV and now Stellar Blade all are canon to Nier Automata. This is only possible because he gets personally involved with every project and doesn't let anyone else write them.
Even Nier is actually a spinoff of Drakengard lol

Hawk The Slayer

Neo Member
The folks over at resetera are going to have a heart attack over this
I'll give them credit this time since a good amount of people are actually hyped for it in the comments there on that thread. For a quick moment I thought it was Neogaf.
Please tell me I'll be able to go through the entire game as 2B.
It looks more like a reskin of Eve to 2B, same with her floating robot.

Photo mode looks awesome!

lol ITS DA BIG ONE!

I wonder if this is just random DLC or if Square has another Nier planned and this is the start of some marketing push?
I remember shift up saying that Nier Automata was the inspiration for stellar blade. Its probably dlc. Cause full games take a long time to make. But maybe they have been secretly working in this for years and its going to release soon?

2025 is going to be one year to remember with gta 6, borderlands 4, and a boatload of other games releasing 2025.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
how about you stop prostituting 2B and make a new game yoko taro. This was cool for the first 2 years, now It's just embarassing.
Yoko Taro is a believer in capitalism so you'll def keep seeing 2B in more and more entertainment media, be it games, anime, etc.

No one cares, stellar blade was a trash soulless copy of nier anyways, they even ripped off the story twists 1:1 from nier and mixed it with horizon, half the game were deserts.
Based on the unanimous positive reaction this Stellar Blade x Nier Automata collab got, plenty of people do in fact care.

l2bRNYh.png
GC1Gz8F.png

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
I remember shift up saying that Nier Automata was the inspiration for stellar blade. Its probably dlc. Cause full games take a long time to make. But maybe they have been secretly working in this for years and its going to release soon?

2025 is going to be one year to remember with gta 6, borderlands 4, and a boatload of other games releasing 2025.
2025 is going to be packed for sure

Death Stranding 2, Ghost of Yotei, Kingdom Come Deliverance 2, Monster Hunter and of course GTAVI will be the historical place marker on that whole year.

We going to be saying shit like "Oh yea, my son was born around 05 GTAVI" (to indicate 5 years post GTAVI) lol

There is a rumor Persona 6 will release next year

Death Stranding 2, Ghost of Yotei, Kingdom Come Deliverance 2, Monster Hunter and of course GTAVI will be the historical place marker on that whole year.

We going to be saying shit like "Oh yea, my son was born around 05 GTAVI" (to indicate 5 years post GTAVI) lol

I am looking forward to those games aswell.

Lol yeah using gta release time-line to describe our kids birth lol.

2025 might rival 2007, which included halo 3, half life 2 ep 2, mw4, bioshock, etc.

I hope i can get into persona 6. Had a hard time getting into p5. Also bioshock creators game Judas coming next year i think. It looks sweet.

And if we got a new 3d mario for switch 2. Its a wrap lol

Last edited:

Ridicululzz

Yes! Next year is gonna be great. Really hoping that Persona 6 rumor is true as well. I finished Reload a couple months ago, and it just got me even more hyped to see what sort of story/changes we'll get for 6.

Orangee

Neo Member
Yoko Taro is a believer in capitalism so you'll def keep seeing 2B in more and more entertainment media, be it games, anime, etc.

Based on the unanimous positive reaction this Stellar Blade x Nier Automata collab got, plenty of people do in fact care.

l2bRNYh.png
GC1Gz8F.png

I know the man very well at this point lol
Everyone knew it was coming the day they posted a selfie together on twitter.

I really just want something new. Imagine being at a point, where you are even given inside info earlier and you still arent excited because you realize that nothing exciting is coming.

skit_data

No one cares, stellar blade was a trash soulless copy of nier anyways, they even ripped off the story twists 1:1 from nier and mixed it with horizon, half the game were deserts.
It's kinda funny because I started playing Nier Automata because of Stellar Blade. I bought Automata several years ago but never got around to playing it for some reason but after Stellar Blade I was itching for more hot chick with sword action... something similar.
I wasn't really expecting Nier Automata to completely blow me away in the way it did, it's a damn masterpiece that in many ways transcend the medium (I've written several posts here lately gushing over it).

Stellar Blade isn't on the same level as Nier Automata, but it is a solid game IMO. They aren't really similar gameplay wise and while some of the music, story elements and themes echoes Automata it's different enough to justify it's own existence IMO.

Anyway, Stellar Blade played a pretty critical role for me personally in "rediscovering" Automata and Replicant, I could see others might do the same in the upcoming years. That in of itself could be considered a pretty big net positive for fans of the Nier games.

Last edited:

Orangee

Neo Member
It's kinda funny because I started playing Nier Automata because of Stellar Blade. I bought Automata several years ago but never got around to playing it for some reason but after Stellar Blade I was itching for more hot chick with sword action... something similar.
I wasn't really expecting Nier Automata to completely blow me away in the way it did, it's a damn masterpiece that in many ways transcend the medium (I've written several posts here lately gushing over it).

Stellar Blade isn't on the same level as Nier Automata, but it is a solid game IMO. They aren't really similar gameplay wise and while some of the music, story elements and themes echoes Automata it's different enough to justify it's own existence IMO.

Anyway, Stellar Blade played a pretty critical role for me personally in "rediscovering" Automata and Replicant, I could see others might do the same in the upcoming years. That in of itself could be considered a pretty big net positive for fans of the Nier games.
Yeah probably. I am only salty because I spend 70$ on stellar blade lmaooo
And the best part of the game was the demo. Everything was just so stiff, soulless, and uncreative. All the voice actors talked like they were forced to work on this and didnt put any effort at all.
I feel like nobody would really care for SB, If not for Eve, but what do I know lol

But If the game got some people into nier then that's pretty cool. I probably would have liked SB more if I didnt know how much they just straight up unhonorably ripped off lol

lol ITS DA BIG ONE!

I wonder if this is just random DLC or if Square has another Nier planned and this is the start of some marketing push?
Playstations Youtube video says its just dlc. Though its been a few years since Automata

Last edited:

skit_data

Yeah probably. I am only salty because I spend 70$ on stellar blade lmaooo
And the best part of the game was the demo. Everything was just so stiff, soulless, and uncreative. All the voice actors talked like they were forced to work on this and didnt put any effort at all.
I feel like nobody would really care for SB, If not for Eve, but what do I know lol

But If the game got some people into nier then that's pretty cool. I probably would have liked SB more if I didnt know how much they just straight up unhonorably ripped off lol
They (or Kim Hyung Tae more specifically) are at least wearing their inspiration on their sleeve, which makes it sort of ok to me. If they pretended otherwise it would be a different matter though.
I gotta say it's a bit wierd to see Yoko Taro praising Stellar Blade and even saying it's better than Automata.
That's like... what? How? Is that some sort of smooth humble brag/veiled threat in japanese culture or something? xD

Kupfer

Do we know if this will be some new mini campaign / singleplayer stuff?
Or just some skins?

Considering that Nier is all about multidimensional shit before that trope became grossly exploited, it should relatively easy to make those two worlds collide. I hope they do it right.
Hope they'll crash Gravity Rushs' world with the next update ...

Euler007

God damn that Nier music is good. If anyone has never played it on a good sound system it's really worth the investment.

They (or Kim Hyung Tae more specifically) are at least wearing their inspiration on their sleeve, which makes it sort of ok to me. If they pretended otherwise it would be a different matter though.
I gotta say it's a bit wierd to see Yoko Taro praising Stellar Blade and even saying it's better than Automata.
That's like... what? How? Is that some sort of smooth humble brag/veiled threat in japanese culture or something? xD

The gameplay / combat is infinitely better than Automata

The bosses are much better too.

Technically it also is. Nier looks like a PS3 game at best.

This is objective and can't be argued.

Nier / Automata are the creations of a genius and that gives them the edge. Any other creator or writer would never make something like that and Stellar Blade would be the better game. Calling Stellar Blade "soulless" just because it's not written as Nier is fucking stupid.

skit_data

The gameplay / combat is infinitely better than Automata

The bosses are much better too.

Technically it also is. Nier looks like a PS3 game at best.

This is objective and can't be argued.

Nier / Automata are the creations of a genius and that gives them the edge. Any other creator or writer would never make something like that and Stellar Blade would be the better game. Calling Stellar Blade "soulless" just because it's not written as Nier is fucking stupid.
Yeah, I agree with most of those points and I also think Stellar Blade can stand proud on its own as a game. They do differ quite a lot in the moment to moment gameplay which affects both the look and feel.
Automata isn't as good looking on a technical level, but because the art direction is so strong it at times manages to leave you in awe despite some components not holding up on a closer inspection. It's less a depiction of a realistic world and more like someone trying to recreate a painting of a landscape in 3D and that painting is fucking awesome, if that makes sense.

I personally really like the combat in Automata, in that aspect they're so different that its hard to compare because its a bit of old vs new God of War combat scenario. One is fast, and responsive with tons of enemies , the other one is heavy, impactful and more on an eye to eye level.

Thinking about it, it would be cool to see what an eqivalent amount of Playstation resources thrown at Stellar Blade would result in if they were thrown towards a new Nier game. That'd probably result in something truly spectacular both art and tech wise. I have a feeling Square Enix could do it looking at the FF7 remakes but part of me thinks that too might be mostly Playstation footing the bill.

Thinking about it, it would be cool to see what an eqivalent amount of Playstation resources thrown at Stellar Blade would result in if they were thrown towards a new Nier game. That'd probably result in something truly spectacular both art and tech wise.

In fact, this was one of Yoko Taro's complaints in that interview, he told Kim how lucky he was to have that kind of funding. It's very clear that the lack of resources compromised Yoko Taro's vision. In the original Nier he would have made more changes in the alternate routes so they don't get too repetitive.

The artistic direction in Automata is great (the use of color is purposeful) but the enemy lack of variety and bad textures get often in the way. I prefer the bosses and locations from the first Nier. With current-gen graphics, they would be incredible. If Square Enix keeps messing up I wouldn't be too surprised if Yoko Taro worked in tandem with Shift Up for some joint project, as he did with Platinum. Shift Up can invest 50-60M easily.

Top Bottom