• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade x Nier Automata DLC Announced

dmaul1114

Loved Stellar Blade and enjoyed Nier Automata well enough so I’m looking forward to this. Hope its a decent sized expansion rather than just some outfits or options to play thorugh the game as 2B etc.

Orangee

Neo Member
They (or Kim Hyung Tae more specifically) are at least wearing their inspiration on their sleeve, which makes it sort of ok to me. If they pretended otherwise it would be a different matter though.
I gotta say it's a bit wierd to see Yoko Taro praising Stellar Blade and even saying it's better than Automata.
That's like... what? How? Is that some sort of smooth humble brag/veiled threat in japanese culture or something? xD
He always talks like that.

I didnt enjoy stellar blade because I treat videogames as art, and I dont see the point of art that is not creative. Just do what has been done again, the mass will happily consume It. Doesnt matter If they are 'self aware' about ripping off or not, it's still stupid lol

I didnt enjoy stellar blade because I treat videogames as art, and I dont see the point of art that is not creative. Just do what has been done again, the mass will happily consume It. Doesnt matter If they are 'self aware' about ripping off or not, it's still stupid lol

Either your concept of "rip-off" is completely off the mark or you are just lying.

The music of Stellar Blade is not only superb but varied and different from Nier's.

The gameplay couldn't be any more different. Actually SB's combat is its own thing, unlike most Soulslike games nowadays.

The world structure / game loop also departs from Nier.

So for you rip-off is having some droid sexy girl killing shit in a post-apocalyptic setting. Just say you don't like the game and that's it. Calling it a ripoff is the same level of wrong as the Zelda fanboys breaking PS consoles at the Genshin reveal.

nnytk

As if recycling ideas and popular culture isn't something prevalent throughout the history of art...

Not to mention art and creativity and videogames and entertainment being very different things that are interwoven or overlapping with each other.

I wonder how you'd look at Jeff Koons' work. Or Richter's political paintings compared to his abstract work.

Anyway, I should probably not delve into a discussion about contemporary art on a gaming forum, talking about a game that focuses heavily on titillation.

ElFenomeno

What I find surprising is that the game didn't get one single discount on PS store since its release back in April.
It must sell pretty well, right?

Orangee

Neo Member
Either your concept of "rip-off" is completely off the mark or you are just lying.

The music of Stellar Blade is not only superb but varied and different from Nier's.

The gameplay couldn't be any more different. Actually SB's combat is its own thing, unlike most Soulslike games nowadays.

The world structure / game loop also departs from Nier.

So for you rip-off is having some droid sexy girl killing shit in a post-apocalyptic setting. Just say you don't like the game and that's it. Calling it a ripoff is the same level of wrong as the Zelda fanboys breaking PS consoles at the Genshin reveal.
It's not only about NieR. I played shit tons of games so I can instantly see the things they ripped off. Literally every single thing in this game is a rip off of something else, they didnt bother making something of their own in their game. Just take everything that was already done, put It into the blender and here you go - Stellar Blade.

Kinda reminded me of the time when I played the beta of concord and instantly noticed how all the special attacks are 1:1 rip offs from Overwatch and Garden Warfare. This industry is creatively bunkrupt or maybe I am just wearing out and need to take a break. I'll go play xenogears or something.

Do you guys want me to make a whole thread about how this game straight up rips off other games 1:1?
I dont know If I care that much about this game, but I am not willing to loose a convo, and proving this would require me to install some games again (including mid blade) to make comparsion screenshots and clips, and that will take me a bit of time.
I didnt see anyone else talk about this game beyond the protagonist (because It has nothing else to offer) so I might be the first one to try and do It.

We can also throw anecdotal arguments onto eachother in this thread aswell, but I dont see this nessecarly as productive.

Last edited:

Orangee

Neo Member
As if recycling ideas and popular culture isn't something prevalent throughout the history of art...

Not to mention art and creativity and videogames and entertainment being very different things that are interwoven or overlapping with each other.

I wonder how you'd look at Jeff Koons' work. Or Richter's political paintings compared to his abstract work.

Anyway, I should probably not delve into a discussion about contemporary art on a gaming forum, talking about a game that focuses heavily on titillation.
Recycling ideas is not bad. But are you adding anything from yourself? Something new? Even a small thing that others will also later build on. Lets remember that all art is an inspiration from other art.
Yoko Taro watched Evangelion and made NieR Automata. You could notice some small similarities, but It's not near a rip off.
Keiichiro Toyama and Fumito Ueda both made their games (Gravity Rush/ICO) because they were inspired by the art they saw. Then later they filled It with their own creative ideas. But they needed the first 'spark'.

Meanwhile stellar blade is a shallow blender mix of every trope from known games. The story, narrative and presentation is so insanely stupid, that I am questioning now a lot of things about our industry. If simple recycles like this are accepted, then AI might aswell make games for us. Because stellar blade seems to be a game taken from such a generative AI. A more advanced one, from the future, of course lol

Oh, and about the rest of your post. I am down to discuss art on a different forum If we get a chance to. Everyone has a different perspective and that's fine.

Last edited:

Aenima

Loved Stellar Blade and enjoyed Nier Automata well enough so I’m looking forward to this. Hope its a decent sized expansion rather than just some outfits or options to play thorugh the game as 2B etc.
From the trailer it just looks like an outfit/skin for Eve and the drone to turn her into 2B. The cutscene shown with 2B is part of the normal game.

Flintty

I need to pull my finger out and finish the game. But I'm stuck on a boss at the moment (I'm terrible at games where I have to block and parry, but absolutely loving Stellar Blade). Astro Bot is distracting me too!

What I find surprising is that the game didn't get one single discount on PS store since its release back in April.
It must sell pretty well, right?

Was going to say the same. Crazy. I kept waiting but at this point i might as well just wait for the PC version and get it off cdkeys or somewhere cheaper.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
vVaMlOA.jpeg

nnytk

Recycling ideas is not bad. But are you adding anything from yourself? Something new? Even a small thing that others will also later build on. Lets remember that all art is an inspiration from other art.
Yoko Taro watched Evangelion and made NieR Automata. You could notice some small similarities, but It's not near a rip off.
Keiichiro Toyama and Fumito Ueda both made their games (Gravity Rush/ICO) because they were inspired by the art they saw. Then later they filled It with their own creative ideas. But they needed the first 'spark'.

Meanwhile stellar blade is a shallow blender mix of every trope from known games. The story, narrative and presentation is so insanely stupid, that I am questioning now a lot of things about our industry. If simple recycles like this are accepted, then AI might aswell make games for us. Because stellar blade seems to be a game taken from such a generative AI. A more advanced one, from the future, of course lol

Oh, and about the rest of your post. I am down to discuss art on a different forum If we get a chance to. Everyone has a different perspective and that's fine.

Yeah I don't think we'll agree with each other and I don't want to spend too much time engaging on this forum in taste-related discussion.

But maybe you'll be happy to hear that I've worked for over 10 years in the contemporary art world as an artist and have an MA in visual art.

Maybe the fact that someone with my background appreciates degenerate guilty pleasure kitsch, can give you a different perspective on it 😅

Also, English is not my mother tongue or how do you say that.

Orangee

Neo Member
Yeah I don't think we'll agree with each other and I don't want to spend too much time engaging on this forum in taste-related discussion.

But maybe you'll be happy to hear that I've worked for over 10 years in the contemporary art world as an artist and have an MA in visual art.

Maybe the fact that someone with my background appreciates degenerate guilty pleasure kitsch, can give you a different perspective on it 😅

Also, English is not my mother tongue or how do you say that.
Well the point of debates is not nessecarly to force others to think like you do, but to share different perspectives and perhaps let you look at the topic at a slightly different angle. It's fine to have your views challenged from time to time.

Everyone is allowed to enjoy whatever they want for all I care. I am happy you do enjoy It. I remember playing and kinda enjoying spiderman 2 for example. I dont remember anything from It anymore, as It was a forgetable slop, but It was fine enough to 'consume' It and enjoy It, have a laugh with your brain off, back when It launched.

And yeah, English is not my native language aswell. (And congrats for your achivements btw)

nnytk

Well the point of debates is not nessecarly to force others to think like you do, but to share different perspectives and perhaps let you look at the topic at a slightly different angle. It's fine to have your views challenged from time to time.

Everyone is allowed to enjoy whatever they want for all I care. I am happy you do enjoy It. I remember playing and kinda enjoying spiderman 2 for example. I dont remember anything from It anymore, as It was a forgetable slop, but It was fine enough to 'consume' It and enjoy It, have a laugh with your brain off, back when It launched.

And yeah, English is not my native language aswell. (And congrats for your achivements btw)
Thank you! 😅

I remember growing up and studying arts, it used to be kind of shameful to be into gaming or cyberculture esthetics and it's an absolute joy for me to see how teenagers these days are nearly bombarded with eastern exotism in the form of manga, anime, kpop and games.

It's a lot of stimuli though, and now, more than ever, I find myself drawn to minimalism and abstract art more than ever before. Soothes the mind.

Top Bottom