• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

kathode

RSTEIN said:
*loosens collar*
*throws down bubble shield*

lol. I was very close to selling my SPY puts yesterday but held off. Doh! Still holding... C calls continue to do awesome at least. Up to around 80% profit right now.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
Pimpwerx said:
Nintendo up 5%. Whoa!. Where's this stock going? I need to set some stops. PEACE.
srsly, i plan on jumpin on the nintendo wagon later this year when their share prices fall due to slow DS sales and before the 3D hype picks up.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Poody said:
srsly, i plan on jumpin on the nintendo wagon later this year when their share prices fall due to slow DS sales and before the 3D hype picks up.
My guess is the best time then would be May, just after they announce there earnings, but before E3. We can also take the info we know, line it up with there predictions, and make a guess if the final tally will be under or over.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
That was a beautiful ending. Like emerging from the cave for the first time in Oblivion, or the Megaton mushroom cloud.

RSTEIN

kathode said:
I was going to say, nice job on that bubble shield.

Yeah, well, anything can happen in this market.

Check this out. I was researching a company and came across these pics. Happened at Dulles. Roof collapsed.

From an Airplane Pilot forum:
GV is N585JC of Hilton Hotels,
Blue Global is N620K of Eastman Kodak
Brown/brown striped Global is N400GX,
and 4th aircraft is N89MX Global XRS just registered in December!! (I think belongs to MicroStrategy)

$50 million a pop.

2_6_BLZRD2010jpg11.jpg

Dulles2.jpg

Dulles6.jpg

35260160.jpg

38992591.jpg

Dulles19.png

Poody

Drkirby said:
My guess is the best time then would be May, just after they announce there earnings, but before E3. We can also take the info we know, line it up with there predictions, and make a guess if the final tally will be under or over.
Good idea. I AM very interested.

Nintendo up 5%. Whoa!. Where's this stock going? I need to set some stops. PEACE.
wait why do you need to set stops? I thought you were going to hang on to NTDOY till Myamoto leaves/retires?

Here's where I'm at. Bare in mind this is my first week getting into the stock market so I'm still learning.

image-BC16_4BAC114A.jpg

C, F, and Hban are my long term investments and I may dump QCOM end of the year if they don't jump on the 4g chipsets. I going with the prediction that andriod HTC phones that utilize snapdragon will increase in market share this year.

Pimpwerx

Poody said:
Good idea. I AM very interested.

wait why do you need to set stops? I thought you were going to hang on to NTDOY till Myamoto leaves/retires?

Here's where I'm at. Bare in mind this is my first week getting into the stock market so I'm still learning.

image-BC16_4BAC114A.jpg

C, F, and Hban are my long term investments and I may dump QCOM end of the year if they don't jump on the 4g chipsets. I going with the prediction that andriod HTC phones that utilize snapdragon will increase in market share this year.
I'm still not that well-versed on stocks. I expect the value to go up, but won't it split eventually? Won't it hit a ceiling and I'll miss out on a few percentage points? I've just not been paying much attention to it the last year or so, so it seems easier to just leave it alone and let it appreciate. But I don't really want to miss out on too much profit. PEACE.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
THQI up 12% today after an upgrade. There has been a lot of sharp movements on this one over the past few weeks.

Ovid

RSTEIN said:
Interesting look at past panics/recessions. The main takeways are 1) the current rally is exhausted and 2) two years after each rally the market didn't really move a whole lot so risk/reward isn't that great at this juncture.

recovery.PNG
So I guess based on this old chart stocks are still pretty cheap, right? Looking back, stocks have been cheap since November '08.

RSTEIN

tarius1210 said:
So RSTEIN, what do u think?

I see a lot of very high quality stocks trading at attractive valuations. Looking at sectors, I really like technology and financials. For example, GS, while no longer at $155, still looks attractive - trades <10x 2011 earnings. Business Intelligence guys like Oracle, IBM, MicroStrategy are attractive too. I still like Hong Kong and Brazil (trade through EWZ). Retailers have had a huge run and incorporate pretty lofty expectations, nothing exciting there.

We're in a sideways-to-bullish market. Around the world this is true, with the exception of Italy, Spain, and Greece. There's absolutely no reason to take profits in long-term holdings at this point - even after the sharp run up. There are people who say the market is overvalued (e.g. David Rosenberg). I don't see it.

That being said, I have bought puts on the S&P 500 and XLI. I may add to them. My model tells me the market is quite overheated. This is very different than overvalued. Implied volatility on the SPY and its major sectors is very low - below 20%. There are some very cheap options out there! But I also thought the market was overheated back in August, too!

I still have all my longs, haven't sold anything. We're going to get routine corrections between 5-10% which is very normal. I would use these opportunities to add to positions (hopefully we get one over the next few weeks).

Poody

what do you guys think of GNW and AIG? I want to jump in on these two financial companies during the recovery. Can someone explain what will happen when the feds begin selling shares of the troubled financial institutes in the next month? Will that drive up the price of shares? In this sector majority of the companies have negative EPS; is that because it includes last years' financial crash results?

Biff

Poody said:
image-BC16_4BAC114A.jpg

Some comments:

- Good play on C. A bit late, but don't worry. MONITOR IT OFTEN. Don't be surprised if takes a while to pick up, as gov't sell-offs will knock the stock down a bit as they sell in blocks. Could be 12+ month timeframe before you see BAC-level recovery.
- Don't like F, sorry. I think you made your play way, way too late. When new GM offers their IPO sometime later this year, I would dump F and jump on GM.
- Not familiar with HBAN enough to comment, sorry.
- I would go with RIMM over QCOM 9 times out of 10. Especially when RIMM's trading at a sub-20 P/E.

Disclaimer: I currently own long positions on both C and RIMM. I do not own any vehicle manufacturer positions.

Poody

ChefRamsay said:
Some comments:

- Good play on C. A bit late, but don't worry. MONITOR IT OFTEN. Don't be surprised if takes a while to pick up, as gov't sell-offs will knock the stock down a bit as they sell in blocks. Could be 12+ month timeframe before you see BAC-level recovery.
- Don't like F, sorry. I think you made your play way, way too late. When new GM offers their IPO sometime later this year, I would dump F and jump on GM.
- Not familiar with HBAN enough to comment, sorry.
- I would go with RIMM over QCOM 9 times out of 10. Especially when RIMM's trading at a sub-20 P/E.

Disclaimer: I currently own long positions on both C and RIMM. I do not own any vehicle manufacturer positions.
Interesting, i appreciate your input. Reason I'm going to stick with F is because they'll begin to share european platforms with the us market. I can see the euro focus, and fiesta taking off in the states. Besides the Volt (there's still lots of questions unanswered about this vehicle), I don't see much from GM's IPO that will come out in the next 1-2 years--their EN-V looks interesting though but we'll see when NY auto show is just around the corner. I'm going to look into AIG and GNW as I do more research in the financial sector.

With RIMM do you think they can hold onto marketshare with apple os and andriod this year? I also thought RIMM was in a different market then QCOM makes chipset and the other is more like apple--software and hardware.

kathode

I held everything, including SPY puts. Was hoping for more of a crazy slide in the last half hour :)

Sucks for those airplane owners up above :(

Hey fellas, just popping in to ask a question. I've been messing with the market a little bit, I've always wanted to. It's all expendable cash, so no worries about losses, but at the same time I'm not looking to just flush it down the drain. I've played around a bit with some stocks I chose myself for what could potentially be described as arbitrary reasons (though I did investigate to the best of my knowledge).

Basically I've lost a couple hundred dollars as the stocks I favored dropped while the ones I favored less (ie less money involved) rose. Not a big deal, but I did remember this thread on GAF so I thought I'd ask about. I was just wondering as to some stock suggestions some of the more veteran users here have that would be viable for a medium term growth potential (IE no less than 6-9 months to hold the stock). "Personal favorites" if you will.

Ovid

RSTEIN said:
I see a lot of very high quality stocks trading at attractive valuations. Looking at sectors, I really like technology and financials. For example, GS, while no longer at $155, still looks attractive - trades <10x 2011 earnings. Business Intelligence guys like Oracle, IBM, MicroStrategy are attractive too. I still like Hong Kong and Brazil (trade through EWZ). Retailers have had a huge run and incorporate pretty lofty expectations, nothing exciting there.

We're in a sideways-to-bullish market. Around the world this is true, with the exception of Italy, Spain, and Greece. There's absolutely no reason to take profits in long-term holdings at this point - even after the sharp run up. There are people who say the market is overvalued (e.g. David Rosenberg). I don't see it.

That being said, I have bought puts on the S&P 500 and XLI. I may add to them. My model tells me the market is quite overheated. This is very different than overvalued. Implied volatility on the SPY and its major sectors is very low - below 20%. There are some very cheap options out there! But I also thought the market was overheated back in August, too!

I still have all my longs, haven't sold anything. We're going to get routine corrections between 5-10% which is very normal. I would use these opportunities to add to positions (hopefully we get one over the next few weeks).
Thanks RSTEIN.

Reading and contributing to this thread again is giving me the urge to purchase stocks.

...just a few more months till my savings goal is complete.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I have been shorting RIM for a while now, bought at $82.00 and now dropping like a fly. I guess my prediction that RIM would slowly get "outdated" has become real and it sits at around $62 now. Making a hefty amount of money from it, may just pull out some of the stocks and get some money.

I have been a slow investor lately, been too busy, but this thread needs more activity. Come on guys! =P

koam

Relix said:
I have been shorting RIM for a while now, bought at $82.00 and now dropping like a fly. I guess my prediction that RIM would slowly get "outdated" has become real and it sits at around $62 now. Making a hefty amount of money from it, may just pull out some of the stocks and get some money.

I have been a slow investor lately, been too busy, but this thread needs more activity. Come on guys! =P

So glad I sold mine when they went UP to $75 :p

I need new stocks now.

Biff

Relix said:
Dropping like a fly? lol... They took one day of punishment because they missed analyst expectations. Overall, RIM has been on a huge uptrend and is incredibly undervalued at $68 (where did you get $62?). That's a near unanimous sentiment with analysts' target valuations.

And if you bought RIM at $82, that means you've owned it since at least July-Sep 2009. Since then the stock fell to $58 in Nov 2009. Why didn't you sell then?

There are so many things wrong with your post. Something doesn't seem right at all.

defel

Just bought 35 shares in EA today. My first foray into the stock market. Hopefully EA will be a good long term investment.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
EA has been doing extremely well on the iPhone, their games are always in the top. I think they are better positionned then they were recently. I bought some some time ago.

BTW IMMR up another 7% today, that's like 30$ in three days.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
ChefRamsay said:
Dropping like a fly? lol... They took one day of punishment because they missed analyst expectations. Overall, RIM has been on a huge uptrend and is incredibly undervalued at $68 (where did you get $62?). That's a near unanimous sentiment with analysts' target valuations.

And if you bought RIM at $82, that means you've owned it since at least July-Sep 2009. Since then the stock fell to $58 in Nov 2009. Why didn't you sell then?

There are so many things wrong with your post. Something doesn't seem right at all.

You sir are correct. Actually, I've owned the stocks since April 2009, exactly one year ago. Or around that point. I remember being bold and shorting the company at that point, because I really found nothing in the horizon that would truly appeal, especially with the disaster of Storm.

I didn't sell at that point because something happened to me that happens to most investors: Greed and wanting it to drop some more. Of course it didn't. I think around Feb it also fell quite a bit. And yes, I did sell at 65. Typos suck my bad =P. Why sell now? I needed some money for an upcoming vacation this week =).

Javaman

Relix said:
You sir are correct. Actually, I've owned the stocks since April 2009, exactly one year ago. Or around that point. I remember being bold and shorting the company at that point, because I really found nothing in the horizon that would truly appeal, especially with the disaster of Storm.

I didn't sell at that point because something happened to me that happens to most investors: Greed and wanting it to drop some more. Of course it didn't. I think around Feb it also fell quite a bit. And yes, I did sell at 65. Typos suck my bad =P. Why sell now? I needed some money for an upcoming vacation this week =).

Don't you have to hold something for a year to be able to claim capital gains? Hopefully you made it past that point.

kathode

Javaman said:
Don't you have to hold something for a year to be able to claim capital gains? Hopefully you made it past that point.

If you sell and make gains before a year is out, the money you make is taxed as income. If you sell something you've held for a year or more, you get taxed on the lower capital gains rate.

My SPY puts are killing me, but thankfully it wasn't a large amount of money. C is up 8% which is awesome, and NFLX is hitting new 52-week highs on an almost daily basis now. This rally is pretty nuts. I wonder how much gas is left in the tank.

Just started investing a month or two ago, so far it has been fun.
I picked up some EA stock a while back when it was at 16.7, kind of regret not getting more though. I am thinking of doubling up my shares at the current price, anyone think this is a good idea?

Also, I want to pick up some C to hold for the long run, should I wait for the US government to sell back some of their shares later this year (not sure exactly when that happens) first? How much do you guys expect the price to fluctuate because of that?

I have been hesitating with a lot of my potential purchases because I kept on thinking this mini rally from February would end soon, but so far everything just kept slowly rising.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm curious about C, does anyone here think it is a good long term investment? It's in the low 4's now and really dived since the bailout, but honestly, will C ever begin a climb back to anywhere near where it once was? If so then it would seem to be a fantastic long term investment right now.

Tarazet

Mengy said:
I'm curious about C, does anyone here think it is a good long term investment? It's in the low 4's now and really dived since the bailout, but honestly, will C ever begin a climb back to anywhere near where it once was? If so then it would seem to be a fantastic long term investment right now.

In recent years the banks have earned most of their money from fees which are being picked at by regulation, mortgages which they're palming off to FHA or Fannie/Freddie in staggering numbers, credit cards, etc. My suggestion is to find the bank that you think is most likely to adapt well to the new reality of banking, and invest in it. The SOS (same old shit) approach is not going to support growth.

kathode

Finally we have some significant negative action. My puts are still underwater. I'm going to hold on another day and see what happens.

Opiate

kathode said:
Finally we have some significant negative action. My puts are still underwater. I'm going to hold on another day and see what happens.

Depends on the sector, obviously. Puts on financials wouldn't be a bad idea given the apparent strength of T-Bond demand. However, some of these firms (AIG, for example) are more than counteracting any weakness by sustained improvements in profits. It's not a simple take.

kathode

Opiate said:
Depends on the sector, obviously. Puts on financials wouldn't be a bad idea given the apparent strength of T-Bond demand. However, some of these firms (AIG, for example) are more than counteracting any weakness by sustained improvements in profits. It's not a simple take.

Yeah should've specified - they're SPY puts so puts on... everything :) I want to call a top here and predict an S&P drop down to 1150 or so, but I also came very close to selling off my puts for a small loss today. Hard to have confidence in a pullback these days.

RSTEIN

Opiate said:

yeah, kathode, omg ur so dumb for buying puts

kathode

Apparently Citigroup is considering a reverse split (i've heard 1:10 and 1:7 thrown around) at their shareholder's meeting next week.

Anyone have any idea what happens to my option strikes or value if that happens?

Edit: I was actually a little worried about this so I just looked it up. Turns out everything just magically gets reconciled.

RSTEIN

kathode said:
Apparently Citigroup is considering a reverse split (i've heard 1:10 and 1:7 thrown around) at their shareholder's meeting next week.

Anyone have any idea what happens to my option strikes or value if that happens?

Edit: I was actually a little worried about this so I just looked it up. Turns out everything just magically gets reconciled.

yeah, dont worry about it at all.

Ovid

So I finally reached my savings goal. Now I can start investing again. I'm actually a month away from putting money into markets since I'm a few quarters behind and need to catch up on what's going on in the financial world. So I figure middle of May, beginning of June I should be ready (I did say summer, right? :p).

My emotions got the best of me over the past two years. I jumped into stocks and bailed because i was too scared to lose money. A few examples some of you guys will remember were Sandisk, Sun Microsystems, and CIT Group. I could've made a lot of money with those companies but bailed too early. I still have a couple shares of Sandisk which I bought at around $9 when Zecco offered free trades back in Oct. '08. The only reason why i still have those shares is because I forgot I had an account with Zecco. :lol

Anyways, emotions will not be involved this time around. I learned my lesson and will try to make good decisions this time around. I can't wait to start contributing to my favorite GAF thread again.

Oh yeah, I decided to check in on my stock simulator on Investopedia. I know most people who actually held their stocks last year did well but I did ok too. I'm ranked 1870.

oit500.jpg

Too bad it isn't real money :(

Cloudy

Banned
What do you guys think of SIRI? It looks like it has nowhere to go but up. Well, unless they get de-listed or something :lol

Atrus

Gold Member
Is anyone trading on foreign stock exchanges? If so with whom and what are the associated costs? If it matters I'm specifically looking at German and Chinese exchanges.

- Will be buying 1000 shares of Centerra Gold and 2000 shares of OPTI Canada on Monday.
- Also looking to add another 100 shares of Royal Bank to my holdings some time this week as well.

Javaman

tarius1210 said:
So I finally reached my savings goal. Now I can start investing again. I'm actually a month away from putting money into markets since I'm a few quarters behind and need to catch up on what's going on in the financial world. So I figure middle of May, beginning of June I should be ready (I did say summer, right? :p).

My emotions got the best of me over the past two years. I jumped into stocks and bailed because i was too scared to lose money. A few examples some of you guys will remember were Sandisk, Sun Microsystems, and CIT Group. I could've made a lot of money with those companies but bailed too early. I still have a couple shares of Sandisk which I bought at around $9 when Zecco offered free trades back in Oct. '08. The only reason why i still have those shares is because I forgot I had an account with Zecco. :lol

Anyways, emotions will not be involved this time around. I learned my lesson and will try to make good decisions this time around. I can't wait to start contributing to my favorite GAF thread again.

Oh yeah, I decided to check in on my stock simulator on Investopedia. I know most people who actually held their stocks last year did well but I did ok too. I'm ranked 1870.

oit500.jpg

Too bad it isn't real money :(

2l857m.jpg

So close to cracking 100k that I can almost taste it. Maybe Monday!
This is where I am from the bottom. I didn't truely make this much of a return since it doesn't take into account what I had in the account prior to the recession, but all of my 401k contributions since then have been gravy. The last moves I made with the money was back in Oct 07, where I rebalanced things into 25% chuncks and got rid of NIBITX. I'm keep the bottom four (3 index funds) to compare my fund's performance to.

This is where I'm at compared to the peak...
2071554.jpg
I still have a ways to go. Although I guess some of the returns aren't reported since they were reinvested dividends.

Ovid

Cloudy said:
What do you guys think of SIRI? It looks like it has nowhere to go but up. Well, unless they get de-listed or something :lol
Well as you know their entire business model is dependent on the amount of subscriptions they have. If you feel that the economy is getting better (which I do) then I think you should buy shares. If not, then you should wait awhile. The only problem I see with SIRI is that they have too many shares outstanding. I've been holding shares of SIRI since 2004. I'm down 80% on this bad boy.

SIRI will not be delisted it will be over a $1 again like it was in January.

Tarazet

Bought 100 shares of PALM at market open for $5.56, and 100 shares of National Bank of Greece at $3.97. Holding both long in my IRA. They should be great long-term bets.

kathode

Damn, nice bet on PALM. I was going to look into that today. Looks like I'm one day late :) Still might be good but I'll wait to see if there's any pullback.

Holding my puts one more day but then I think I might just take the loss and sell.

Top Bottom