• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

kathode

Poody said:
even at $5, C's is still a good buy. They're expected to be at 7-10 end of this year right?

I've heard numbers like that thrown around, but it's really just wishful thinking. Who knows? It does sound like they are going to be doing a reverse split sometime soon, 10:1 probably. That will get the price well out of the >$5 territory, which has the interesting side effect of allowing people to use margin to buy the stock, at most brokerages. Which in turn could help push the price up. But again, it's all just an educated guess. Anything can happen on the market.

kathode

Shanks said:
I've been really wanting to get into stocks lately in order to get a better idea about how they work and such and hopefully make a little bit of money. Is e-trade the best site for online stock trading? I was reading through and it seems like you need to have a subscription to the site? How does paying them work? Do I pay a flat price with each buy or trade or do they take commission? How does that work?

You shouldn't need any sort of subscription. Most sites I know of just require a minimum amount and then charge commissions on trades. I recommend Scottrade as it's a simple interface and relatively inexpensive at $7/trade.

NFLX reported earnings that were pretty much just in line with expectations today. The stock has really been on a tear this year and lots of people have been waiting for it to fall. Some guy posted an "I told you so" tweet on stocktwits when it fell 7% immediately after hours. Super satisfying that seconds later it rebounded and ended up well over a percent. Waiting to see if he owns up or not...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
BHI up from 46 to 54 a share in five days, woot woot. Now I'm wondering if I should hold or sell. I'm just back over my breaking point and it's a sector I don't know much about (I also have some XOM, but I'll hold that for some time). It pays dividens, so that's always good.

Any input?

BTW, TTWO has been doing really good:)

kathode said:
You shouldn't need any sort of subscription. Most sites I know of just require a minimum amount and then charge commissions on trades. I recommend Scottrade as it's a simple interface and relatively inexpensive at $7/trade.

NFLX reported earnings that were pretty much just in line with expectations today. The stock has really been on a tear this year and lots of people have been waiting for it to fall. Some guy posted an "I told you so" tweet on stocktwits when it fell 7% immediately after hours. Super satisfying that seconds later it rebounded and ended up well over a percent. Waiting to see if he owns up or not...

i use questrade in canada. Free signup and free online use only have to pay for each trade

Opiate

RSTEIN said:
yes, as fallout boy said, I was just joking around :p

Oops! I apologize.

Anyone have opinions on Investment puts now? It seems possible we'll see continued weakness -- even in already beleaguered firms like GS -- as a result of the FR which seems to be particularly strong.

Essentially, a put in the financial sector right now is essentially a bet that FR won't get watered down.

Shanks

kathode said:

Okay so Scottrade looks pretty good. I'm doing some research on my first couple of stocks. Looking for some long or midterm ones.

So when you say $7/trade is it like I buy 50 shares of palm, each of those shares counts as a trade or just when I buy the shares themselves in a package through the site? This is pretty intimidating. I'd like to learn sometime though.

Biff

kathode said:
I've heard numbers like that thrown around, but it's really just wishful thinking. Who knows? It does sound like they are going to be doing a reverse split sometime soon, 10:1 probably. That will get the price well out of the >$5 territory, which has the interesting side effect of allowing people to use margin to buy the stock, at most brokerages. Which in turn could help push the price up. But again, it's all just an educated guess. Anything can happen on the market.
I highly doubt a 10:1 reverse split, let alone any. They're recovering fine in their current state without any danger of being delisted.

BAC went through the same thing Citi is currently going through. They did not perform any form of split and recovered to ~$18 after an early 2009 dip into the $5s.

Reverse splits are often a last resort to avoid sub-$1 delisting levels. Citi is well clear of any such danger.. A split will not happen anytime soon.

kathode

ChefRamsay said:
I highly doubt a 10:1 reverse split, let alone any. They're recovering fine in their current state without any danger of being delisted.

BAC went through the same thing Citi is currently going through. They did not perform any form of split and recovered to ~$18 after an early 2009 dip into the $5s.

Reverse splits are often a last resort to avoid sub-$1 delisting levels. Citi is well clear of any such danger.. A split will not happen anytime soon.

It is something that's being actively debated by the Citi board. The Treasury voted for it on Tuesday.

kathode

Shanks said:
Okay so Scottrade looks pretty good. I'm doing some research on my first couple of stocks. Looking for some long or midterm ones.

So when you say $7/trade is it like I buy 50 shares of palm, each of those shares counts as a trade or just when I buy the shares themselves in a package through the site? This is pretty intimidating. I'd like to learn sometime though.

One trade can be any number of shares. So it's $7 if you trade one share or $7 if you trade a million.

Tarazet

Shanks said:

Each transaction costs $7, as long as the price is over $1 a share. You pay a surcharge for trading penny stocks.

Shanks

What are some good starting stocks that will seem seem to improve? Is it too late to jump in with palm a bit? I was looking at HTC Corp as well, they are sitting around 400 which is pretty high but I'd imagine they will inevitably grow as high as they used to be? Nevermind scratch HTC, I should wait for them to drop a good deal before I jump in. This is nerve wracking.

Gallbaro

Banned
Shanks said:
What are some good starting stocks that will seem seem to improve? Is it too late to jump in with palm a bit? I was looking at HTC Corp as well, they are sitting around 400 which is pretty high but I'd imagine they will inevitably grow as high as they used to be? Nevermind scratch HTC, I should wait for them to drop a good deal before I jump in. This is nerve wracking.

You need to look up the efficient market hypothesis before you start investing if this is your starting point.

Also good thing I bought a round lot of citi for speculation.:lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Crazy day. Why is TTWO going up like crazy all the time? Is it that Icahn guy again buying a lot of shares or something?

Red Dead Redemption will hopefully be a good hit. So far the hype is very high. You have to give some props to TTWO for being able to make such a hyped game set in the Western setting. I know how management and marketing thinks when it comes to what can and can't succeed, and no one would put a lot of faith in a Western game. But this one is shaping up to be a second GTA for them (of course it will never be as big of a hit, but it's probably more hyped than TTWO could have ever hoped for).

I hope this is a sign of things to come for the company.

Shanks

Gallbaro said:
You need to look up the efficient market hypothesis before you start investing if this is your starting point.

Well, I wiki'd the term and I still don't understand exactly what that means. I'm assuming it is saying (in a very basic form) of when buy now, eh now, and don't buy now? I decided to start a simulator account on investopedia to get a feel of it before I jump in. I feel like a moron, :lol .

koam

I was so pissed off for not buying AAPL at $110... but today I realized that I have AAPL in my mutual funds (one of the 5 companies in there) and I have a shitload of shares because I bought them during the recession (when AAPL was in the $80s).

Woohoo

Tarazet

http://www.thestreet.com/story/1073...=CNNMONEY&cm_cat=Free&cm_pla=Feed&cm_ite=Feed

Whoa. Anyone else's mind get blown reading this? AIG is huge beyond all measure. Their market cap is $30B and their property/casualty insurance arm, Chartis, is worth at least three times that by itself. If they are indeed going to be 'freed' by the government, then this is the biggest opportunity any of us have ever seen. But wait a second...

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/af...man-says-short-aig-2010-04-08?dist=beforebell

*facepalm* Typical bulls. Wait for AIG to spin off Chartis.. buy the IPO. If you have a strong stomach, buy AIG puts. I know I will.

kathode

Even if I didn't own the stock, NFLX is great just for entertainment value, watching all the people shorting it on a daily basis getting their heads chopped off. I'm sure it will start to settle out here in the next couple days, but it's been awesome to see people calling tops each day and then having the stock just blow past them.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
kathode said:
Even if I didn't own the stock, NFLX is great just for entertainment value, watching all the people shorting it on a daily basis getting their heads chopped off. I'm sure it will start to settle out here in the next couple days, but it's been awesome to see people calling tops each day and then having the stock just blow past them.

Yeah, I did that. ARGH!

kathode

While I'm gloating I should add in that those ATVI calls are down some 45% for me :( Hoping things turn up here sometime soon, but not looking good right now.

I've got a good stack of money piled up purely from dividends from other stocks and am trying to decide what to do with it. On one hand, I'm thinking of buying more MO; it's at around the same price right now as where I purchased it originally and the dividend is very nice...

Also considering the idea of holding off on any further purchases until this Euro crisis shit hits the fan. I feel as though Portugal and Italy still have a lot of issues to reveal, and Spain in particular will be a much larger mess if it gets to a point a bailout is needed; Spains economy is simply too large for the rest of the EU and IMF to afford to bail out, as far as I understand it.

On the other hand, who knows if that'll truly cause any significant dent in the U.S. markets. I'm really just looking for some ideas right now, anything at all, and I can do the additional legwork required to decide if they're interesting enough for me to purchase.

Any suggestions from any of you? I like to stay diverse and have stocks from nearly every industry, but any idea would be greatly appreciated. I'm just at a loss.

Biff

Soka said:
I've got a good stack of money piled up purely from dividends from other stocks and am trying to decide what to do with it. On one hand, I'm thinking of buying more MO; it's at around the same price right now as where I purchased it originally and the dividend is very nice...

Also considering the idea of holding off on any further purchases until this Euro crisis shit hits the fan. I feel as though Portugal and Italy still have a lot of issues to reveal, and Spain in particular will be a much larger mess if it gets to a point a bailout is needed; Spains economy is simply too large for the rest of the EU and IMF to afford to bail out, as far as I understand it.

On the other hand, who knows if that'll truly cause any significant dent in the U.S. markets. I'm really just looking for some ideas right now, anything at all, and I can do the additional legwork required to decide if they're interesting enough for me to purchase.

Any suggestions from any of you? I like to stay diverse and have stocks from nearly every industry, but any idea would be greatly appreciated. I'm just at a loss.
My understanding of the EU situation is that as EU's problems get bigger, the world is choosing to pull money out of the Euro and instead back a relatively weak but safer U.S. dollar - therefore actually helping the U.S. economy, not hurting it.

With regards to MO, the consumer sector is perhaps my weakest in economics, so I can't make any recommendation about that specific stock. But if your investment has a solid history of treating you right, why not re-up? Loyalty doesn't only exist with consumer brands, they can exist in investing as well.

We may be small-fish, but it's still interesting to think that we can 'reward' corporations for good behaviour by investing more into them :)

Well that was fun. All my stocks have been imploding lately, so I pulled out to lick my wounds and look to see where the bottom is. The mistake I made last time was trying to go "long" and recoup my losses.

How's everyone else doing?

kathode

Still solidly up for the year but I've been getting completely reamed the last couple weeks. Those calls I bought on ATVI were a terrible bet. It's had one positive day since I bought. They're May calls so I have to dump soon. I basically need a miracle with earnings tonight to make up my lost ground, and that's pretty unlikely. I want to get some more cash in my account and trade a bit more on this volatility, but selling longs that are down to free up some cash is a tough call.

Pimpwerx

WTF is going on? Greece is making people act fucking crazy. How does the market fluctuate so severely? How many hundreds did it just go up and down? Isn't that a ton of transactions in an extremely short time? I wonder what the volume of traffic on the Dow has been the last half-hour. o_O PEACE.

EDIT: Was that "blip" just now a result of software trades? I really don't understand how the market swings down to -900 and then back to -400 or better in a matter of minutes.

EDIT2: Gibbs was about to open the WH presser, and the networks switched to it, and the Dow dropped 100 points in the 30 seconds or so he was conversing with a reporter. It wasn't even the WH response yet. They switched away, and the Dow started going back up. Once the presser starts again, the bottom will fall again. I wonder if they'll wait until after closing bell to respond now.

venne

A lot of stocks I was eying long term were down +10%.

Now most are down 2-3% all within a couple minutes.

Crazy.

EDIT: Looking at some of my holdings I just have to laugh. Apparently 15 or 20 minutes ago PG, GE, and ASH were down 15, 11, and 13% respectively. Now they're down 2-4%.

I should float some 60 day limit orders in case something like this happens again, ridiculous.

Opiate

It has to have been a software error of some kind. I'd presume some significant stock got listed incorrectly at some enormous cheap price, which lead to a sudden calvacade of sales.

Meier

:( Thought I might finally be able to unload QID close to even (it was at $20 briefly) and then it fell all the way to $2. :lol Climbed back to $18 basically but who knows when I'll ever get there. I'm in at $23 since November!

venne

liquidatedbrains said:
Dow is down 4%... wonder if we'll go below 10,000?

I hope so.

I want more blue chips at bargain prices like last year.

<= in it long with dividend paying stocks

Wes

venison crêpe
Greece will repay you by letting you murder more of their mythological stories in hollywood film form.

Futures in myth based films will skyrocket!

Meier

El Sloth said:
My dad is cursing Greece as he watches CNN. :lol

It was down to -884 at one point wasn't it?
It was down 900+.. close to 1,000. Didn't last long but I was happy as hell. :lol

Top Bottom