• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

kathode

Man, just the other day I was thinking VIX calls would be a good investment if I had free cash. The VIX shot up 60% today, lol. Woulda coulda shoulda I guess.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Does anybody really think that this could have been some kind of hacking terrorist attack?

Seriously!

FrankT

This ain't nothing. I've thought for a long time now we're going to see a crash way worse than 08 in the next year or so. CDS was the tip of the iceberg and sovereign will bring her down.

gkryhewy

Jtyettis said:
This ain't nothing. I've thought for a long time now we're going to see a crash way worse than 08 in the next year or so. CDS was the tip of the iceberg and soverign will bring her down

I don't know how much you know about the financial markets (I am an expert)

Biff

Holy shit at the pussies who dumped because of the Dow glitch.

What were they thinking... The Greek Apocalypse just claimed the world? Kratos has once again risen and is now raining terror on the Dow Jones? :lol

Emotionally-attached investors deserve to lose every cent when faced with the slightest amount of adversity.

Oh, and if you ever wondered why the average investor shouldn't use programmed sell-stop points, this is it.

thefro

CNBC says a human error at a big firm caused the sell-off, someone put a "b" for billion in on the computer instead of "m" for million. :lol

thefro said:
CNBC says a human error at a big firm caused the sell-off, someone put a "b" for billion in on the computer instead of "m" for million. :lol

Not real, right?

edit HOLYSHITWTFBBQ?!?! I wasn't paying attention for a few hours and THIS SHIT HAPPENS?!?!

edit2 Oh wow, my web page was stuck on -6## :lol

Ripclawe

Banned
thankfully I sold quite a bit this morning before thepanic set in. So can we just blame the euopeans and call it a day?

Screw it I will still blame them. :p

Pimpwerx

Hmmm, just bought some solar (TSL). I should get 30-40% back on this trade. I probably should have move some money from Nintendo, but I'm up 30% there and feel comfortable holding onto what I have with them. Solars are volatile, but there's nothing but upside with them thanks to the oil spill. If the stock drops further tomorrow, I might bite and either move money from Nintendo or more likely dip into the margin until Zecco's slow-ass transfer clears.

Is the process of transferring online brokerages easy? I want to move to Scottrade or something else. PEACE.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
thefro said:
"You are so fired"

Biff

I would just like to throw this thought out there:

Out of all the times to accidentally input an order off by a factor of 10^3, the day Greece passes their Austerity bill is certainly the most coincidental time to do so.

Just saying.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Well, that was fun. And you want to hear the icing on the cake? I SOLD THE LAST OF MY PUTS 20 MINUTES BEFORE THE CRASH!!! FUCK ME!

Anyways, we put some money to work near the intraday bottom.

venne

pg.jpg

avaya

Euronext will be removing several of the trades and re-stating the tick data accordingly. Anyone who lost money might be able to claim compensation from their broker.

This is so lame. Today is the ONE DAY that I'm not watching my stocks because I don't want to see how much money I'm losing. Missed opportunity FTL.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
saltinekracka said:
This is so lame. Today is the ONE DAY that I'm not watching my stocks because I don't want to see how much money I'm losing. Missed opportunity FTL.

Don't worry about it. Even pros missed it. ACN went from 0.01 to 38 in 2 minutes. By the time we tried to figure out what was going most of the juicy stuff rebounded.

avaya

CME say only 9bn of ES Futures were traded today.

Volume was 16bn. Some one sold 7bn extra Futures short

That is 7bn * S&P Price = 1150 * 10 * 5 = USD 402.5 BILLION

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
avaya said:
CME say only 9bn of ES Futures were traded today.

Volume was 16bn. Some one sold 7bn extra Futures short

That is 7bn * S&P Price = 1150 * 10 * 5 = USD 402.5 BILLION

WHOA!!!

The news report:

In one of the most dizzying half-hours in stock market history, the Dow plunged nearly 1,000 points before paring those losses—all apparently due to a trader error.

According to multiple sources, a trader entered a "b" for billion instead of an "m" for million in a trade possibly involving Procter & Gamble [PG 60.75 -1.41 (-2.27%) ], a component in the Dow. (CNBC's Jim Cramer noted suspicious price movement in P&G stock on air during the height of the market selloff. Watch.)

Sources tell CNBC the erroneous trade may have been made at Citigroup [C 4.04 -0.14 (-3.35%) ].

"We, along with the rest of the financial industry, are investigating to find the source of today's market volatility," Citigroup said in a statement. "At this point we have no evidence that Citi was involved in any erroneous transaction."

According to a person familiar with the probe, one focus is on futures contracts tied to the Standard & Poor’s 500 stock index, known as E-mini S&P 500 futures, and in particular a two-minute window in which 16 billion of the futures were sold.​

http://www.cnbc.com/id/36999483

So.....couldnt this easilly be manufactured?

You make a "mistake" setting off a panic.... but then profit off shorting and then futures as it rebounds? Especially because of all the automated sell orders, as the stock gets lower, more sell orders activate, lowering the stock etc etc.

In other words.....more juice for the regulation machine?

kathode

tarius1210 said:
So the Nasdaq is gonna cannel all trades between 2:40pm and 3:00pm. That's crazy.

Not the full story-
Nasdaq "will cancel all trades made earlier in the day between 2:40 p.m. Eastern time and 3 p.m. Eastern time which were "greater than or less than 60% away from the consolidated last print in that security at (2:40 p.m.) or immediately prior.""

So basically all the clearly erroneous trades like the Accenture stuff.

yoopoo

Banned
Everything was up this morning...now everything is in the red.

Gains so far today $4 :lol ...losses so far: too depressing to type :/

FrankT

yoopoo said:
Everything was up this morning...now everything is in the red.

Gains so far today $4 :lol ...losses so far: too depressing to type :/

Indeed.

Atrus said:
That's nothing. Shares of Exelon hit 0.0001 or as I saw it... 0.00.

Actually per CNBC 8 stocks hit the magic number.

Wow, german Dax down another 220 points (~3.8%), stayed around -1% more or less the whole day until it started to fall of a cliff about an hour ago.

Top Bottom