• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I father chose my funds and contribution % in 2006 since it was my first time investing. In 2008 I made 17% while everything was tanking, and I made only 1% in 2006, but I have only been really contributing heavily since last year. Now I actually understand what the funds reports say so that's why I took the opportunity to rebalance. I might take a hit in 2011 if things don't go well, since I think the stocks are inflated right now, but over the long term I'm not worried, considering that even when the recession hit I never went into the negatives.

I'm hoping to manage to raise the average return to 10%.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
Same here c's been doing great and finally broke thru the $5 resistance level- going to keep C as a long term investment. Will buy more when funds become available. I also bought shares of nintendo a month ago as a short term investmen,. Hopefully 3DS doesnt dissapoint.

Poody

mackaveli said:
Just curious how much are you guys investing in your stocks and what not?
I just started investing last year. Ive put in about $7500 and im at $10000 now.

My family has become very wealthy thanks to Ford. They bought in massive amounts as it sunk at $10, 8, 6, 4, 2, with their average around $4.00 I believe. I put in a bit and am up around 184%... but those bastards trump my earnings significantly. They tried to talk me into going in deeper with them, but it made me nervous having all of us investing in a single company. They remind me about this on a weekly basis. :lolsmiley

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Soka said:
My family has become very wealthy thanks to Ford. They bought in massive amounts as it sunk at $10, 8, 6, 4, 2, with their average around $4.00 I believe. I put in a bit and am up around 184%... but those bastards trump my earnings significantly. They tried to talk me into going in deeper with them, but it made me nervous having all of us investing in a single company. They remind me about this on a weekly basis. :lolsmiley
Wow I'm extremely jealous.

My resolution this year was to take more risks with my money, hopefully another value opportunity presents itself.

Cloudy said:
This one really hurts me because many people told me to buy it then but I didn't :lol
it's one of the few I let get away. But I can't blame anyone for not picking that up. nobody knew if they'd make it, and if the government took them over, it would have meant Chapter 11: auto-loss of your money.

nobody was looking good then. Americans were disinclined to buy American cars. It was just the sensible thing to do to wait unless you had money to burn on a high-risk.

Looking back, I would have liked to invest maybe $10k in Ford. But with the climate, I was just not inclined to do so. It was a bigger risk than I felt was warranted so I lose no sleep. I wouldn't have minded making 16x profit on an investment, though. and counting. lol

Cloudy

Banned
Anyone have any good profit-taking strategies? I've usually been just closing out the positions and waiting for a drop to buy back in later. Obviously this has burned me in the past if the stock just keeps going up (Got out of ARMH at $17 or so and got back in a bit higher) :lol

Gallbaro

Banned
Cloudy said:
Anyone have any good profit-taking strategies? I've usually been just closing out the positions and waiting for a drop to buy back in later. Obviously this has burned me in the past if the stock just keeps going up (Got out of ARMH at $17 or so and got back in a bit higher) :lol

There are several ways, but none of it is science. If you are talking long(ish) term, then you have to have a price target based on actual research and study and get out when you hit it. Short term you can go off of voodoo like bollenger bands.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Thoughts on AAPL tomorrow? I am up 15% so I am not particularly worried about dropping in the red on the health news.

Thinking about selling at open re-buying mid day if it drops significantly but before earnings are announced. My initial instinct is just to ride tomorrow out.

Gallbaro

Banned
scola said:
Thoughts on AAPL tomorrow? I am up 15% so I am not particularly worried about dropping in the red on the health news.

Thinking about selling at open re-buying mid day if it drops significantly but before earnings are announced. My initial instinct is just to ride tomorrow out.

If you think Apple, a company with a limited product base is worth more than Exxon Mobile, then by all means stay in it.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Gallbaro said:
If you think Apple, a company with a limited product base is worth more than Exxon Mobile, then by all means stay in it.
My question has nothing to do with whether I feel it is worth more than Exxon.

I assume you are not suggesting that price per share is an indicator of value of a company, because that would be absurd.

Gallbaro

Banned
scola said:
My question has nothing to do with whether I feel it is worth more than Exxon.

I assume you are not suggesting that price per share is an indicator of value of a company, because that would be absurd.

Price per share * Shares outstanding.

If you want to stay in a company, where the downside is looking to be a hell of a lot bigger than the upside, be my guest.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the advice.

So you are like this thread's Liu Kang Baking a Pie?

Edit: I think we got off on the wrong foot here :/

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Gallbaro said:

Exxon is still worth more than Apple, and Exxon's shares have depreciated a lot over the past years, so it's not at its peak, from $93 in April 2008 to $58 last July.

The thing with Apple is that they are in a good position to take huge market shares outside of what they have already done.

It makes sense that such a company would continue to grow considering what we have seen over the past few years, and considering that technology will continue to consolidate. All they have to do is remain at the center of that consolidation.

Everything will become portable, and everything portable will converge into one device. This is an inevitable evolution, a natural evolution, and nature always finds the easiest way. It's extremely difficult to believe that this consolidation of technologies could happen with multiple players pulling the curtain in their own direction; it would only slow down the process, and there is too much money to be made by establishing partnerships with a company that can be at the center of this consolidation for each of the competitors to manage to pull deals of equal worth for themselves. On top of that, consumers want to throw money at one company they like, otherwise they worry about what to spend their money on and just hold back. The reason the iPhone and iPad are successes is because people can buy an Apple device without wondering "Is this the right choice? Would I be better off with another company's product?". They find out about what the device can do, they know it's from Apple, so nothing stands in the way except price. And price is just a delaying factor, eventually they buy the thing.

I think Apple is better positioned right now than anyone else to be at the center of this consolidation.

Graphic tablets are going to disappear. Mouses and keyboards will disappear. Modems will disappear. PCs will disappear. Game consoles will disappear. Low-end point & shoot cameras will disappear. Everything is converging to the equivalent of the iPad and the iPhone. And then it won't take long before the iPhone becomes an automatically unfolding flexible-rigid display coming out of the iPad's stylus.

The only thing that will take more time to eliminate are digital cameras, because they have their own conversion to go through first (video + photo cameras will merge first), and because miniaturization in this case is more complicated.

TV and movie content is another market that Apple will try to seize, but this will be more difficult. TVs won't disappear, since miniaturization doesn't make sense in this case (until we can project HD video from a stylus in the air). So Apple will want to do with movies and TV what it did with music with iTunes.

All of the above is more than likely going to be achieved by Apple, not Microsoft, not Google, not Sony (lol).

So it's first and foremost not about how big Apple's market share is, but rather how big are other companies' market share, and how much that will bring for Apple when those are Apple-ified.

The current capitalization is high, it's likely that the share price will fall (and I expect a split soon if the price doesn't go down on its own), but over the long term I think Apple is a sound investment. If you enter now, you can always buy more shares when it falls.

Apple's biggest problem will be monopoly laws.

Cloudy

Banned
How can anyone not be bullish on Apple with ipad2 around the corner? Tablets are the new hotness and every other offering is DOA

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Cloudy said:
How can anyone not be bullish on Apple with ipad2 around the corner? Tablets are the new hotness and every other offering is DOA

And what's great about this is that unlike the iPhone, it won't kill another of their products, like the iPhone will have ended up doing to the iPod. The iPad and iPhone are two devices that will continue to exist side by side until they can converge, and that won't happen until the iPhone becomes the iPad's stylus, which will take some time.

Atrus

Gold Member
I've always seen things in terms of percentage growth. Does anyone invest in AAPL expecting their investment to double? Triple? Doesn't the input cost seem a little high for your expected returns?

With some companies still trading near their 52 week or multi-year lows, I always wonder why people buy high priced stocks trading at their 52 week highs. What sort of returns are you expecting?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
alejob said:
Thats all pretty cool but I'm guessing the stock is still going to fall.

Should've sold Friday. ;)

I think so too really. I don't even own any AAPL shares. I'd buy some if it fell, and at worst just buy more again later.

Atrus said:
I've always seen things in terms of percentage growth. Does anyone invest in AAPL expecting their investment to double? Triple? Doesn't the input cost seem a little high for your expected returns?

With some companies still trading near their 52 week or multi-year lows, I always wonder why people buy high priced stocks trading at their 52 week highs. What sort of returns are you expecting?

You could say that about practically any company that did indeed double or triple or even more. If you talked about market cap then you'd be on something, but share price doesn't matter really.

Input cost isn't high, you just buy less shares.

1 share at $100 that goes up 100% brings me $100 in profit. 100 shares at $1 that goes up 100% brings me $100 in profit.

Kodiak690

Neo Member
I need some advice. I'm looking into starting a Roth IRA and investing in a few mutual funds (mostly T. Rowe Price). I also I want the option to buy/sell individual stocks.

Should I go through T. Rowe Price (since they have most of the funds I'm interested in) or should I go through a discount online broker? Are there any extra fees for investing in certain funds if I go through a broker? Also, would it be a better idea to sign up for the funds and IRA directly through TRP and then just open an account through a discount broker for my stock/ETF purchases?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Cloudy said:

The P/E of 23 indicates that investors are already expecting Apple to be more profitable than they are now in the future. In order for their stock not to go down, they must be very successful with ipad2. If their profitability doesn't improve, the stock should go down.

It's not that Apple is a bad company, or it's products are bad or anything like that. Just as an investor, I see Apple as a classic pie in the sky text book bubble. Their market capitalization is 1/3 of a trillion. Does no one remember this?

Atrus

Gold Member
Ether_Snake said:
I think so too really. I don't even own any AAPL shares. I'd buy some if it fell, and at worst just buy more again later.

You could say that about practically any company that did indeed double or triple or even more. If you talked about market cap then you'd be on something, but share price doesn't matter really.

Input cost isn't high, you just buy less shares.

1 share at $100 that goes up 100% brings me $100 in profit. 100 shares at $1 that goes up 100% brings me $100 in profit.

You misread. Which would be better to you. A $4 stock with a price target of $8 or an $8 stock with a price target of $12? You'd probably have 2000 @ $4 rather than 1000 at $8 assuming the probability of hitting their targets are the same. With the growth expectations of Apple being limited by it's high valuation, are you certain you can't do better for less? Especially in this type of market where you've still got companies that still haven't returned to pre-recession norms and whose future earnings are going to be bolstered by increasing commodity price and demand?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Atrus said:
You misread. Which would be better to you. A $4 stock with a price target of $8 or an $8 stock with a price target of $12? You'd probably have 2000 @ $4 rather than 1000 at $8 assuming the probability of hitting their targets are the same. With the growth expectations of Apple being limited by it's high valuation, are you certain you can't do better for less? Especially in this type of market where you've still got companies that still haven't returned to pre-recession norms and whose future earnings are going to be bolstered by increasing commodity price and demand?

You mean stock A with a target of 100% appreciation, or stock B with a target of 50% appreciation? Well of course I'd go for the 100% appreciation one.

Your other question is different: is Apple's high valuation TOO high. That's unrelated to your original point which was that a stock at its 52-week high is unlike to double or triple, which is not true, since it happens all the time.

Anyway in other news STP is on fire, but those articles talking about a trade-war related to solar energy are right.

Wellington said:
I'm with Fidelity, it only goes back two years, which of course covers the time in which the economy was snapping back to normal.... 58.3% hahaha :(

Last year I sat at 13.9%. I was mostly focused in stock before, but when the economy tank I want straight to stock and raised my percentage. I'm sticking with it for now. My main goal is to hit 8% over the long haul, so I'm good with what I have.

Fidelity here as well, Rate of return 71.6% over the last two years... I'm pretty stock heavy. I guess I might want to rearrange that some soon.

Poody

Ether_Snake said:
You mean stock A with a target of 100% appreciation, or stock B with a target of 50% appreciation? Well of course I'd go for the 100% appreciation one.

Your other question is different: is Apple's high valuation TOO high. That's unrelated to your original point which was that a stock at its 52-week high is unlike to double or triple, which is not true, since it happens all the time.

Anyway in other news STP is on fire, but those articles talking about a trade-war related to solar energy are right.

I jumped on STP on friday after hours, just for fun i bought 100 shares to gamble around. So far looks good

Poody

Ether_Snake said:
I got 250 STP shares at $17.50:(

when did you buy it because the 52week high is at $16.25. Anyways for your sake, lets hope it climbs back up to 17.50

Gallbaro

Banned
teh_pwn said:
The P/E of 23 indicates that investors are already expecting Apple to be more profitable than they are now in the future. In order for their stock not to go down, they must be very successful with ipad2. If their profitability doesn't improve, the stock should go down.

It's not that Apple is a bad company, or it's products are bad or anything like that. Just as an investor, I see Apple as a classic pie in the sky text book bubble. Their market capitalization is 1/3 of a trillion. Does no one remember this?

That and it is getting dangerously close to XOM in market valuation. Yet, XOM is in an infinitely more stable industry, while having twice the earnings power.

Was hoping I could get something cleared up in here. I have "learn about investing" on a to do list, so atm I'm ignorant but... a friend of mine is claiming that through using currency trading with an initial investment of 500 bucks she will be able to turn it all into tens of millions. Now obviously this is bullshit, but exactly where is she horribly mislead here? She was using a program called Vantage PointFx, but apparently is using some one from the UK now. Details are vague on my end, as I am a bit fuzzy on it but, sufficed to say, can anyone clear this all up? Surely there's a scam in here somewhere bar short of flat out lying.

Anyway, anyone actually well versed in this could probably clear up my profound confusion:)

ManDudeChild said:
Was hoping I could get something cleared up in here. I have "learn about investing" on a to do list, so atm I'm ignorant but... a friend of mine is claiming that through using currency trading with an initial investment of 500 bucks she will be able to turn it all into tens of millions. Now obviously this is bullshit, but exactly where is she horribly mislead here? She was using a program called Vantage PointFx, but apparently is using some one from the UK now. Details are vague on my end, as I am a bit fuzzy on it but, sufficed to say, can anyone clear this all up? Surely there's a scam in here somewhere bar short of flat out lying.

Anyway, anyone actually well versed in this could probably clear up my profound confusion:)

she's in the forex market?! Then she should read this

Forex Scam

that level of predictability in that market is redunkulus.

edit: I have never dabbled in currency exchange, plus never heard of VPFx. I'll look it up and ask some buddies.

edit2: I use Questrade as an online Broker

spiderman123 said:
she's in the forex market?! Then she should read this

Forex Scam

that level of predictability in this market is redunkulus.

edit: I have never dabbled in currency exchange, plus never heard of VPFx. I'll look it up and ask some buddies.

This link so far is quite informative. I've Google'd VPFx a bit myself, and there are some links about scams, as well as reports of shoddy customer service. But moreso I was looking for a path to start on to properly research this myself and this works :) Thanks.

Tarazet

What in the name of all that is holy is going on with financials? HCBK is getting absolutely killed due to declining revenue.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
We had been riding a high wave for too long, a fall was due.

yeah, I'm not happy.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I made 18% so far on BHI. Wondering if I should sell or if I can remain confident on this one long-term.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
thespot84 said:
looks like you're having quite the day...

Nah I don,t know why I wrote 38% lol, it's 18%

Anyway still unsure if I should sell, or just buy more on a future dip.

edit:

TTWO: 22%
BHI: 18%
CAE: 14%
ATVI: 8%
XOM: 6%

Those are my top performing stocks.

thespot84

Ether_Snake said:
Nah I don,t know why I wrote 38% lol, it's 18%

Anyway still unsure if I should sell, or just buy more on a future dip.

edit:

TTWO: 22%
BHI: 18%
CAE: 14%
ATVI: 8%
XOM: 6%

Those are my top performing stocks.

I was speaking more to the fact that BHI is up 5.6% on the day. Without taking a closer look at the sector the PE (40 ish) seems a bit expensive (the sector is all over the place)...

Top Bottom