• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Oh yeah it's gotten quite high, but hey it's oil!

BTW what do you guys think of GLUU?

Ovid

Heya guys!!

Just stopped by to see what's up. How's everyone's portfolios looking?

My best performer was BIV, but it started to decline back in Oct-Nov (when the markets started their upward swing). I cashed out of that one while I was still up (dividends helped me stay in the black). Currently, my best performer has been QQQQ.

My overall winner has been SNDK.

MRF has been on my radar since October. I added this stock to my monthly automatic purchases list.

Ether_Snake said:
Nah I don,t know why I wrote 38% lol, it's 18%

Anyway still unsure if I should sell, or just buy more on a future dip.

edit:

TTWO: 22%
BHI: 18%
CAE: 14%
ATVI: 8%
XOM: 6%

Those are my top performing stocks.
You know what to do ;-)

Ether_Snake said:
Nah I don,t know why I wrote 38% lol, it's 18%

Anyway still unsure if I should sell, or just buy more on a future dip.

edit:

TTWO: 22%
BHI: 18%
CAE: 14%
ATVI: 8%
XOM: 6%

Those are my top performing stocks.

You could be like me and have the inability to sell.

MCD: 307%
F: 171%
MRO: 146%
MHS: 105%
XOM: 102%

I seriously cannot bring myself to sell. My line of thought is always, "What else will I do with the money?"

Ovid

Soka, I wouldn't sell. You're up so much that it just wouldn't make sense. If you have no other means of having you money work for you, just keep it in the markets.

tarius1210 said:
Soka, I wouldn't sell. You're up so much that it just wouldn't make sense. If you have no other means of having you money work for you, just keep it in the markets.

That's what I always end up deciding. I am always in every stock for long-term anyway. Some day I will buy a house and that will likely cause me to sell a lot of these. Until then, I just sit on them and reap the dividends.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ether_Snake said:
Oh yeah it's gotten quite high, but hey it's oil!

BTW what do you guys think of GLUU?

Anyone? Shit's on fire. My buddy bought some yesterday at $2.27. It's now at $2.80. They make games for iPhone/Android/etc.

And why is P/E unavailable?

Anno

Ether_Snake said:
Anyone? Shit's on fire. My buddy bought some yesterday at $2.27. It's now at $2.80. They make games for iPhone/Android/etc.

And why is P/E unavailable?

I would assume because it would be negative. If I recall (I looked into the stock awhile ago, before they did their recent private placement and secondary) they've never been profitable. Their last 10Q said that they expect revenues to continue to decline in the future as their feature phone sales continue to fall before they can really ramp up sales on newer phones. Apparently all of their liscenses don't let them create (or port) stuff for newer smart phones so they'll be focusing a lot more on homemade IPs like Gun Bros.

It's an interesting company (and surprisingly large) that I'm almost positive will be bought out one day, but it's really not something I'd invest in (not because I don't think it'll make money. It's just not my investment style I gyuess). I don't see how they can get to any sort of productive earnings if revs keep declining like they have recently, which is what management seems to be implying. I think you'd be just as well off buying more AAPL and getting 30% of their sales without the risk.

I own neither AAPL or GLUU, for disclosure's sake.

Edit: Anyone looked into Johnson Control's (JCI) recently? It always seemed like a great way to play the auto market by proxy and their energy efficiency division really seems to be ramping up (something like a ~$5billion backlog) especially overseas. They recently purchased a couple smaller auto-related companies in Europe including the people that make Recaro seats, which I've always thought of as the best of the best in high-quality auto interiors.

It seems to be trading at a decent level. A little bit above what I'd normally like on a P/E level but it still has a decent PEG, efficiency ratios and even pays a smaller (and recently increased) dividend.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Hello again. I'm looking to sell some stock and have never done so before. Can anyone here give me a recommendation for the best place to open a brokerage account online? I'm looking to sell as cheaply as possible and be able to get the money from the sale and put it back into my bank, not reinvest it.

dudeworld

so everyone, I signed up for the investment competition at my university. I'm a first-year business student and haven't taken any finance-related courses yet but my major will be in finance.

We'll be using the trading simulator on investopedia. I think we'll each be starting with $100,000. Whoever makes the most profit by the end of February wins.

My father is a professional portfolio manager so I already have an advantage but I'd like some of your guys' opinions on what would be some good options to buy. I haven't really been looking at individual companies lately, I've mostly just been following the equity indexes.

I loaded up my zecco account which I hadnt checked in half a year.

Pleasantly surprised. Everything up except activision. Embraer is my best performer, up 98%.

If only I had sold everything I owned and bought just embraer stocks, Id be on a cruise right now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What a great day! Everything I own is up between 2 and % except ERTS and BHI (which recently shot up like an arrow).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Large Professor said:
EA is up huge after hours.

Oh damn I forgot the earnings report was tonight. I was ready to buy more expecting another dip. Whatever the case, good news for me, it's the only gaming stock I own that was not performing well.

I'm quite confident with EA on anything not console or PC related.

THQI tomorrow, and ATVI and TTWO next week.

Ether_Snake said:
What a great day! Everything I own is up between 2 and % except ERTS and BHI (which recently shot up like an arrow).

Was a great day over here as well. I'm officially more than double on AA as of today. Always nice to see triple digits.

tass0

Banned
ManDudeChild said:
Was hoping I could get something cleared up in here. I have "learn about investing" on a to do list, so atm I'm ignorant but... a friend of mine is claiming that through using currency trading with an initial investment of 500 bucks she will be able to turn it all into tens of millions. Now obviously this is bullshit, but exactly where is she horribly mislead here? She was using a program called Vantage PointFx, but apparently is using some one from the UK now. Details are vague on my end, as I am a bit fuzzy on it but, sufficed to say, can anyone clear this all up? Surely there's a scam in here somewhere bar short of flat out lying.

Anyway, anyone actually well versed in this could probably clear up my profound confusion:)

She's delusional.

You can make millions from trading the foreign exchange market, but with no experience and $500?

The average length of time for a trader to be able to trade successfully for a living is around 3-5 years.

At most a good trader will risk on a trade (includes stop loss) is max 2%.

Anything more is just ludicrous. Even 2% is pushing it.

Now 2% of $500 is only $10.

Even if she makes thousands of pips in 1 month (which is quite high), that's only a few grand with leverage if trading with a $500 balance.

If your friend does not take it seriously, and thinks she can just waltz into the market and make millions without studying for years, then I expect her to lose her entire account balance within a month of trading.

Sorry to say it.

Setreal

So this has been my first year investing and I just received my 1099-DIV and had a question. It lists all my transactions/dividends but nowhere does it mention gains/losses on sales of stocks. How would an accountant know how much I'm to be taxed if this isn't listed?

grumble

dudeworld said:
so everyone, I signed up for the investment competition at my university. I'm a first-year business student and haven't taken any finance-related courses yet but my major will be in finance.

We'll be using the trading simulator on investopedia. I think we'll each be starting with $100,000. Whoever makes the most profit by the end of February wins.

My father is a professional portfolio manager so I already have an advantage but I'd like some of your guys' opinions on what would be some good options to buy. I haven't really been looking at individual companies lately, I've mostly just been following the equity indexes.

If you're not being evaluated on risk-adjusted returns, then invest everything in derivatives and other high-risk high-return investments. If you luck out, you'll win. If you don't, you'll lose everything.

If you are being evaluated on risk-adjusted returns (usually sharpe ratio), then don't use derivatives at all.

Cloudy

Banned
Anyone here buy currency etfs? I'm thinking of buying some in my roth just to diversify and maybe get better yields. Should I go with a collection etf or one top currency? Also, who has the best yields right now?

So this has been my first year investing and I just received my 1099-DIV and had a question. It lists all my transactions/dividends but nowhere does it mention gains/losses on sales of stocks. How would an accountant know how much I'm to be taxed if this isn't listed?

The 1099-DIV is different from the 1099-B. That should come by the 15th. Also, you could do it manually from the brokerage site probably..

Lazy

Here's an interesting product from BMO.

http://www4.bmo.com/termproducts/navigator/0,,35649_125478734_125479919,00.html

It's a GIC and consists of 10 blue-chip Canadian stocks. Depending on how they perform, you get anywhere from 0.2% (minimum) to 4.2% (maximum) annual return. As a GIC, you're protected from a loss, while also limiting potential gains. Since these are "blue-chip" stocks and the bank is guaranteeing you some return (however marginal), how big of a risk would it be to invest in the stocks individually in an attempt to maximize returns?

These are the companies.

Power Corporation of Canada (POW) 10%
Goldcorp Inc. (G) 10%
SNC-Lavalin Group Inc. (SNC) 10%
Thomson Reuters (TRI) 10%
Fortis Inc. (FTS) 10%
Toronto-Dominion Bank (The) (TD) 10%
Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. (CNQ) 10%
Brookfield Properties Corp. (BPO) 10%
TransCanada Corp. (TRP) 10%
Rogers Communications Inc., Class B (RCI.B) 10%
Total 100%

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Lazy said:
Here's an interesting product from BMO.

http://www4.bmo.com/termproducts/navigator/0,,35649_125478734_125479919,00.html

It's a GIC and consists of 10 blue-chip Canadian stocks. Depending on how they perform, you get anywhere from 0.2% (minimum) to 4.2% (maximum) annual return. As a GIC, you're protected from a loss, while also limiting potential gains. Since these are "blue-chip" stocks and the bank is guaranteeing you some return (however marginal), how big of a risk would it be to invest in the stocks individually in an attempt to maximize returns?

These are the companies.

Difficult to say how big of a risk it is. Just because GIC guarantees a minimum of 0.2% doesn't mean you won't end up with bigger losses. If I followed your principle I could just replicate my RRSP investments in my stock purchases and make a lot of cash. The number next to the fund's title is the return rate it has resulted in since I started contributing (I changed the funds recently but it gives an idea):

Sociétés à petite cap. Bissett - 25,67 %
Flint Energy Service 6,9
Richelieu Hardware 5,7
Leon's Furniture Limited 4,9
Equitable Group Inc. 4,5
Savanna Energy Service 4,0
Nuvista Energy Ltd 3,9
Winpak Ltée 3,8
Indigo Livres Musique & Café 3,8
Transcontinental Inc. A 3,8
Mullen Group Income Fund 3,8

Actions canadiennes McLean Budden - 31,09 %
Suncor Énergie, Inc. 6,5
Banque TD 6,1
Banque Royale du Canada 6,0
Research in Motion Limited 4,6
Cameco Corporation 4,0
Société d'énergieTalisman Inc 3,9
Magna International A 3,7
Canadian Natural Resources Ltd 3,6
Barrick Gold Corporation 3,4
Bombardier Inc Act sans droit de vote 3,1

BlackRock indiciel obligations univers - 8,20 %
Banque Royale du Canada 4,8
Banque TD 4,2
Suncor Énergie, Inc. 3,9
Banque de Nouvelle-Écosse 3,9
Barrick Gold Corporation 3,4
Canadian Natural Resources Ltd 3,1
Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan 2,9
Goldcorp Inc 2,4
Banque de Montréal 2,1
Banque Can. Impériale de Commerce 2,0

Actions canadiennes Jarislowsky Fraser - 11,99 %
Banque Royale du Canada 6,4
Banque TD 5,9
Banque de Nouvelle-Écosse 5,7
Groupe SNC-Lavalin Inc 5,2
Talisman Energy 4,7
Suncor Énergie, Inc. 3,7
Thomson Reuters Corporation 3,3
Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan 3,0
Corporation financière Manuvie 3,0
Canadian Natural Resources Ltd 3,0

For an average of 9.95%.

Yet on individual stock purchases, I got a return rate of around 10 to 12%. Sure I often see my stuff going in the red for some time, but after four years I got a better return with stocks, and those investments are completely different from what my RSSP's investments through those funds are. The funds I contribute to are pretty much solely Canadian companies, while my stock purchases have been mostly US, and a tiny bit of Brazil and China.

So to answer your question, I have no idea. lol

kathode

Setreal said:

You need to provide cost basis and holding times. It's always the first thing my accountant asks me for :) It should be easily obtainable from your broker. Not sure why it isn't included by default.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Bought some more ATVi after the 9% drop.

TTWO has been doing awesome. EA tried to buy them for 25.75 back before they even released GTAIV and back then that was all they had, yet since they have shown they can be a successful company without GTA, so a buyout is even more likely now.

ATVI dropping Guitar Hero is good for ERTS.

I got all grounds covered!:)

kathode

Grrr, I had BAC calls that dipped severely at open this morning, triggering my stop limit. Sold out at a decent loss - couple hundred bucks gone up in smoke. I checked in this afternoon and the same calls were 15% above my purchase price. So aggravating.

Thinking about getting into CSCO after things settle out over the next few days. Big earnings miss.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Me:
ATVI +0.67%
BHI +27.95%
CAE +16.84%
ERTS +10.44%
MON +8.31%
TTWO +47%

STP -49.27%
PBR -5.05%

mackaveli

anyone know the tax rules for day trading? You get taxed 100% on the gains and can use all the losses as well?

Also, if i buy a stock on Monday and sell it Tuesday or Wednesday that is not considered day trading and considered a capital gain that would be only have 50% of it taxed?

Thanks,

Darren870

mackaveli said:
anyone know the tax rules for day trading? You get taxed 100% on the gains and can use all the losses as well?

Also, if i buy a stock on Monday and sell it Tuesday or Wednesday that is not considered day trading and considered a capital gain that would be only have 50% of it taxed?

Thanks,

Are you in the US? Where did you get this idea from?

mike23

I'm a college student, so I don't have much income to throw around, so I invest < 1000 for fun in one or two stocks.

My current portfolio consists of one stock, SSN, and I'm up 87% since September. I was up to 110% at one point, but I didn't sell.

My biggest problem now is deciding when to sell. I've realized that I am a bit greedy and it's holding me back from selling because I'm afraid I'll miss out on more money.

Darren870

mike23 said:
I'm a college student, so I don't have much income to throw around, so I invest < 1000 for fun in one or two stocks.

My current portfolio consists of one stock, SSN, and I'm up 87% since September. I was up to 110% at one point, but I didn't sell.

My biggest problem now is deciding when to sell. I've realized that I am a bit greedy and it's holding me back from selling because I'm afraid I'll miss out on more money.

Sell the amount you put in, this way you are just playing with the houses money...

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Help me out investor GAF. I have about 8 grand that I want to put into stocks. Im not dependent on this money so if I lose some of it its cool. Any advice and stock recommendation for a newbie.

Javaman

mike23 said:

I'd be more concerned about trading costs than taxes with that small amount.

Gallbaro

Banned
SSGMUN10000 said:
Help me out investor GAF. I have about 8 grand that I want to put into stocks. Im not dependent on this money so if I lose some of it its cool. Any advice and stock recommendation for a newbie.
SPY

That is all, if you are a newbie and start trading you will loose it all in 6 months.

If you learn and development your own investment philosophy, write it down and stick to it you can then invest.

No one is going to give you their picks and even then it is very rare for someone to beat SPY.

mackaveli said:

Thanks,

Its a 30 day holding period. If you hold for less than that the appreciated or depreciation gets taxed at your income rate. After 30 days it is the taxable gains rate.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah I was going to post about this. Oil is going up non stop, jobs are still down and dead and won't be improving unless manufacturing jobs come back to the US, US debt is crazy high, etc. I see no actual reason for markets to be up this much without any sings of major job creation. I'd like to sell all my big gains, but at the same time I'm thinking I can live through another dip anyway since I'm invested long-term. I would like to put a down payment on a condo or house soon though.

At least I can't see people defaulting on their houses again in masses to the point where that would bring the markets down once more, but I don't see how we can have serious growth.

Gallbaro

Banned
Large Professor said:
I don't know if now is the best time to invest. The Dow has been rallying hard since September.

If you have a steady income to invest it does not matter.

Market timing is a game that has left many dead in its wake. And besides with Benny and the Inkjets, conventional rules are out the window.

Gallbaro said:
If you have a steady income to invest it does not matter.

Market timing is a game that has left many dead in its wake. And besides with Benny and the Inkjets, conventional rules are out the window.

For a moment, I was like "Benny and the wha...?" and then I figured it out. Funny!

Anyway, COOL is rising to the heavens. It's stupid how volatile it is, but as long as that volatility keeps swinging more green than red, I'm alright with it. Honestly though, I'm considering getting out of the videogame market completely. I'm right at break-even for ATVI. If I ever get 5% up I'm selling it, I simply don't want a part of it anymore. Probably considering selling COOL too. I don't see their offerings in the next year doing much, beyond continued success of Zumba Fitness and perhaps the Mama series.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Man, you guys make me feel silly for investing in mutual funds.

otake said:

All depends on your goals. I have some mutual funds that I invested into in the past 2 years (VEIEX, VBINX, VTSMX, VWEHX). I chose a few "safe" ones and a few "risky" ones. Intending on holding on to them for the long haul (40+ years) so we'll see how they go. Reinvesting dividends in them, so I'm expecting nice things by the time I cash out.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm not getting out of video games. I'm doing great with TTWO. I know the market too well to stay out of it.

LM4sure

Banned
otake said:

Definitely not. For me, it makes the most sense. Granted, I do some investing in stocks, but most of my money is in index funds. It's incredibly hard to beat the market so why bother trying? Just put your money in index funds and collect your 12% per year. I have a couple of friends in equity research and they tell me it's a joke.

So I don't know why I continue to invest in stocks.

Gallbaro said:
And besides with Benny and the Inkjets, conventional rules are out the window.

Well that's true but a this point everyone seems to think this market cannot go down. That and the big gains we already had tend to make me cautious.

I want to get started with stocks. I've got about $3,000 as of right now that I can play with. Is there a good place to read about online so that I can get my foot on the ground and any suggestions from you guys? i'd also like to know of a good free place to invest fake money into before I try and do this kind of thing myself.

EDIT: I'm not really going into investing for the slow burn, either. so any tips or anything on how to maximize profit is what I'm looking for. haha and yes I know just putting money in won't mean i'll actually make money, but I want to giv eit a shot at least.

dudeworld

BladeoftheImmortal said:
I want to get started with stocks. I've got about $3,000 as of right now that I can play with. Is there a good place to read about online so that I can get my foot on the ground and any suggestions from you guys? i'd also like to know of a good free place to invest fake money into before I try and do this kind of thing myself.

EDIT: I'm not really going into investing for the slow burn, either. so any tips or anything on how to maximize profit is what I'm looking for. haha and yes I know just putting money in won't mean i'll actually make money, but I want to giv eit a shot at least.

http://simulator.investopedia.com/Home.aspx

You can even create a mock portfolio on Bloomberg's website. Just go to Personal Finance and make an account.

Top Bottom