• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

lil smoke

Banned
Maxwell House said:
Yeah, luckily I have funds available. I plan to buy quite a bit tomorrow (including more Crox on any further pullback).

I have confidence in Crox, and think today's drop was overreaction.
You got killed by CROX too eh? It's gonna take awhile to get back up. I am not buying anymore CROX no matter how low it goes. It's too unpredictable, and no one really knows where they're going yet. The shoes are already there, they have a clothing line and those trendy trinkets. Yet to see where all this is going. I could have taken profit, but I didn't... I'm waiting to see how these new lines go.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Investing in fashion, isn't that REALLY risky? I know some fashion companies here in Montreal create whole new brands every few years because brands eventually go out of style after around three years. So you see all these different labels over the years but it's all the same company really.

Does anyone really still buy Tommy Hilfiger?

Ether_Snake said:
Investing in fashion, isn't that REALLY risky? I know some fashion companies here in Montreal create whole new brands every few years because brands eventually go out of style after around three years. So you see all these different labels over the years but it's all the same company really.

Does anyone really still buy Tommy Hilfiger?
Right, but Crox has expanded overseas and they couldn't get their manufacturing to match demand over there. Once they get the manufacturing up to speed, they should be back to posting estimate beating earnings again in a quarter or two.

They also have some intriguing new product lines coming out this fall, like their golf shoes.

lil smoke

Banned
I work in fashion, so it's easy for me to keep track of the entire industry. CROCS are affordable, functional in the real world. Maybe a bit more than a trend, but time will tell.
I think they have a niche that sets them apart from other brands which are really just "names". I don't doubt people are going to snatch it up. It was overrated, but now it's a discount.

People have to wear clothes, right?

Zyzyxxz

woot google hit 700 and is going up and beyond!

I dunno what to do with my other AKAM stock though, I made a small amount off it after they posted their profits.

lil smoke

Banned
me said:
I work in fashion, so it's easy for me to keep track of the entire industry. CROCS are affordable, functional in the real world. Maybe a bit more than a trend, but time will tell.
I think they have a niche that sets them apart from other brands which are really just "names". I don't doubt people are going to snatch it up. It was overrated, but now it's a discount.

People have to wear clothes, right?
CROX sucks.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Activision earnings today after the close. Hopefully it's good!

And horray, IMMR is now back above my buying price, up 4.90% today at the moment, altho I think people have still little faith in them so they can go down again quickly IMO.

TTWO seems to be going down a bit due to Manhunt 2 panic, as always.

Woo, made a decent amount of money off of MVL thanks to their earnings report. (also thanks to the guy who mentioned it on this forum). Now I can buy some games!

*crosses fingers on ATVI earnings*

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD.

Damnit! :lol Marvel up 20.21% at the moment!

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/071105/marvelentertainment_results.html?.v=3

Marvel Entertainment Inc (NYSE:MVL - News), which licenses comic-book characters, posted a better-than-expected quarterly profit, helped by Spider-Man 3 merchandise licensing, and raised its 2007 outlook, sending shares up almost 22 percent.

EDIT: D'oh beaten:) Oh and nice to know my mention of Marvel made you look at the stock, good for you:D

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Silicon Image was up 10.67% today.
Cree was down 3.67%
EA down 2.81%
Immersion up 7.59%
Marvel up 16.13%
Ubisoft down 3.43%
Valueclick down 4.17%

Activision earnings release in a few minutes.

And damnit at Take2, they always go down when there are bad news like hot coffee, Bully panic, and now Manhunt 2 controversy. Oh well!

Tarazet

I did pretty well today, but I should have done better. I tried to sell my KLAC stock at $50.15, and it didn't go through even though I saw the real-time price hit $50.18 ten minutes after I placed the order.

Now I'm the best of the rest, but I still have a long ways to go.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Activision beats estimates

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/finance/exte...ml?cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

Video-games publisher Activision (ATVI - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr - Rating) blew past analysts' expectations for the second quarter, thanks to sales of its hit titles, Guitar Hero Encore, and Transformers.

The company also guided results higher for the third quarter and full fiscal year.

After hours are down but :p ATVI is going to have a great year IMO. Looks I'll be holding for a few more months.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ok sorry for doing a second post in a row but here goes:

I've been thinking about looking for companies that are providing services to developing countries like China and India which they couldn't get on their own (at least not of the needed quality). Companies like CAE which I invested in a few weeks ago.

I made some research on transportation in India and China, and so far I found that China's need for civil-use helicopters (and potentially India's as well) is likely to expand seriously in the coming years. So far I found a joint venture between 'Sikorsky Helicopters' (subsidiary of United Technologies Corp.) and 'Shanghai Little Eagle Science & Technology Co': http://www.shanghaisikorsky.com/about.htm

The thing is, in the above case I could only invest in United Technologies (UTX) because Sikorsky is a subsidiary of UTX, so I wouldn't be investing directly in them which means I would be investing in other aspects of the company that I'm not interested in, unlike with CAE. UTX remains interesting tho so I might invest in them. Textron is probably also providing some developing nations with civil-use helicopters but I'm not finding any info on that.

Anyway anyone can think of other services that developing nations would need strong external assistance over?

EDIT: Oh, in other news, the stupid US dollar is still falling, erasing more of my gains every day.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anybody home?!:p

I don't get this. ATVI had a great quarter, but the share went down in after hours yesterday, continued to go down today, and yet even with ATVI now being upgraded multiple times today it's still going down. Ridiculous. Anyway I'm holding.

Suntech Power Holdings went up 13.56% today and Cypress Semiconductor Corporation up 10.09%.

Nokia up 4.08%

Vimpel-Communications up 4.66% (wireless services in Russia, Kazakhstan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan)

RIMM is now about 130, at 131.04$.

On my end it's not really rosy. ATVI down, CAE (CGT) down, IMMR down, TTWO down. Bah!

Yeah, I'm scratching my head about why ATVI is down too. Maybe people arne't biting because their net income is low from buying out that other game company?

I am getting an itchy finger when it comes to my STP holdings. It has run up like CRAZY the last 3 months. Maybe I should profit take before the Chinese bubble bursts.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Maxwell House said:
I am getting an itchy finger when it comes to my STP holdings. It has run up like CRAZY the last 3 months. Maybe I should profit take before the Chinese bubble bursts.

Up to you man, no one could blame you for taking money. Losing it would be sad tho:) I believe in the sector, but really I find it difficult to get a clear picture of just one company in a sector I don't understand as well as say the game industry hehe.

gkryhewy

Nintendo fell over 5% on the Nikkei overnight on a broad market drop. Today should be a good buying op - probably back to the pre-earnings ~70 USD.

argon

Garmin is reeling... down over 25% in one week, and that's after beating estimates. The market isn't taking kindly to its bidding war with Tom Tom over Tele Atlas.

koam

Fuzzery said:
Oh wow (haven't checked stocks in awhile, been busyyy irl) WTF happened lolll

Yeah me neither, i'm down a lot cause of that. I forgot i still had money in sandisk.

OUCH! TTWO is sub 16. Good time to buy I guess haha. I'm trying to decide if now is a good time to buy NTDOY or if I can risk seeing it go lower. I'd love to buy it for less than 70.

gkryhewy

Holy fuck at CROX. Hope no one owns that - Jesus.

nakedsushi said:
I'm trying to decide if now is a good time to buy NTDOY or if I can risk seeing it go lower. I'd love to buy it for less than 70.

If the market rebounds by the end of the day, buy it today - it'll jump overnight on the nikkei. If not, wait for a better bargain tomorrow.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah at this point I'm just not caring anymore. ATVI still down after top earnings. Screw that, I'm waiting.

yayaba

I bled pretty badly the past few days but I shorted a bunch of stocks out of disgust at the market and it actually worked out pretty well. Profited about $550 off of CROX today and I covered by short after that.

I'm waiting to see if the market will dip some more before jumping back in. The market/economy is just crazy right now.

Good thing I didn't hold onto those 10 shares of GOOG at around $710.

Tarazet

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANS

Man, there just aren't any good deals now. I've bought into about a half-dozen stocks and wound up bailing on them because they just kept falling like a rock.

Man, I hope this doesn't bite me in the butt later.

I was staring at the CROX ticker earlier this morning and noticed it was slowing going up from 33 to 34. I thought, "Well, if it goes to 35, I'll buy." So I bought at 35. It closed at 37. Maybe it's finally stopped dropping?

Troblin

nakedsushi said:
Man, I hope this doesn't bite me in the butt later.

I was staring at the CROX ticker earlier this morning and noticed it was slowing going up from 33 to 34. I thought, "Well, if it goes to 35, I'll buy." So I bought at 35. It closed at 37. Maybe it's finally stopped dropping?

I was tempted at that price as well, but with all the money I've lost the past couple weeks, I decided to pass.

Playing CROX in the market right now is like trying to catcha falling knife.

lil smoke

Banned
gkrykewy said:
Holy fuck at CROX. Hope no one owns that - Jesus.
CROX taught me some hard lessons. Me and my rookie "trust & hold" strategy. I should have left well enough alone... what did I think it was going to 100? Silly me. Now it's so red, I have no choice but to hold it. It can only go up from here.

Tarazet

If you bought CROX in the past few months, you might want to look into this new class-action lawsuit that was announced today..

Businesswire said:
Coughlin Stoia Geller Rudman & Robbins LLP ("Coughlin Stoia") (http://www.csgrr.com/cases/crocs/) today announced that a class action has been commenced in the United States District Court for the District of Colorado on behalf of purchasers of CROCS Inc. ("CROCS" or the "Company") (NASDAQ:CROX) securities during the period between July 27, 2007 and October 31, 2007 (the "Class Period").

If you wish to serve as lead plaintiff, you must move the Court no later than 60 days from today. If you wish to discuss this action or have any questions concerning this notice or your rights or interests, please contact plaintiff's counsel, Samuel H. Rudman or David A. Rosenfeld of Coughlin Stoia at 800/449-4900 or 619/231-1058, or via e-mail at djr@csgrr.com. If you are a member of this class, you can view a copy of the complaint as filed or join this class action online at http://www.csgrr.com/cases/crocs/. Any member of the purported class may move the Court to serve as lead plaintiff through counsel of their choice, or may choose to do nothing and remain an absent class member.

The complaint charges CROCS and certain of its officers and directors with violations of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. CROCS and its subsidiaries design, develop and manufacture consumer products from specialty resins worldwide. The Company offers footwear for men, women and children under the "CROCS" brand.

According to the complaint, during the Class Period, Defendants issued materially false and misleading statements that misrepresented and failed to disclose: (i) that the Company was experiencing significant distribution problems in Europe as it had moved distribution facilities and was experiencing distribution problems in Japan with a third-party distributor, causing the Company to lose tens of millions of dollars in sales; (ii) that the Company's sales were being negatively impacted by seasonal conditions as consumers reduced purchases of the Company's products in cold weather climates; (iii) that the Company's inventory levels were building far beyond historic levels as sales began to slow and the Company's sales began to be impacted by seasonality; and (iv) based on the foregoing, Defendants lacked a reasonable basis for their positive statements about the Company, its earnings and prospects.

On October 31, 2007, CROCS issued a press release announcing its financial results for the third quarter of 2007, the period ending September 30, 2007. Following the earnings announcements, CROCS held a conference call for analysts and investors. During the call, Defendants discussed problems at its European and Japanese distribution centers and its growing inventory, among other things. In response to these announcements, the price of CROCS stock declined from $74.75 per share to $47.74 per share on extremely heavy trading volume.

Plaintiff seeks to recover damages on behalf of all purchasers of CROCS securities during the Class Period (the "Class"). The plaintiff is represented by Coughlin Stoia, which has expertise in prosecuting investor class actions and extensive experience in actions involving financial fraud.

Coughlin Stoia, a 180-lawyer firm with offices in San Diego, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, Boca Raton, Washington, D.C., Houston and Philadelphia, is active in major litigations pending in federal and state courts throughout the United States and has taken a leading role in many important actions on behalf of defrauded investors, consumers, and companies, as well as victims of human rights violations. Coughlin Stoia lawyers have been responsible for more than $45 billion in aggregate recoveries. The Coughlin Stoia Web site (http://www.csgrr.com) has more information about the firm.

SOURCE: Coughlin Stoia Geller Rudman & Robbins LLP

Coughlin Stoia Geller Rudman & Robbins LLP, New York
Samuel H. Rudman, 800-449-4900
David A. Rosenfeld
djr@csgrr.com

gkryhewy

Nintendo down ANOTHER 4% on the nikkei overnight (http://www.advfn.com/quote_Nintendo-Co-Ltd_JSX_7974.html) over Bernanke's comment that the US economy may slow this quarter. According to Bloomberg, this makes Japanese investors concerned over the quarterly performance of exporters, such as Nintendo, whose US sales may slow if the US economy slows:

"It's hard to have confidence in the earnings outlook for exporters for the next six months,'' said Naoki Fujiwara, who helps oversee $3.2 billion at Shinkin Asset Management Co. in Tokyo.

I view this as a buying opportunity, as it's fairly obvious that Nintendo will continue to sell whatever they can make this quarter in the US.

guess

Cheesemeister said:
Bid: 66.58 x200 Ask: 66.60 x200

Buying opportunity ahoy!

Yep, I bailed out, but I will be getting back in. Should I feel bad for hoping it keeps dropping?

Cloudy

Banned
This kinda sux. ALL my gains for the year to date are gone and I was actually down $30-ish (YTD) yesterday :lol

lil smoke

Banned
I think I'm going to join the class against CROX. What do I have to lose? Has anyone ever been involved in something like this? Will I have to appear?

gkryhewy

Cheesemeister said:
Bid: 66.58 x200 Ask: 66.60 x200

Buying opportunity ahoy!

WOW. I'm REALLY tempted to pick up some more, but my portfolio is so NTDOY-centric (50%) already. So difficult to time this market.

EDIT: Wow, a fair value calculation from the Nikkei close, which itself was oversold, is $69.77.

Can this market really fall below 13k again? What odd psychology. Where's MrWalrus?

kathode

lil smoke said:
I think I'm going to join the class against CROX. What do I have to lose? Has anyone ever been involved in something like this? Will I have to appear?

I've been involved in a couple. Generally you fill out the paperwork, forget about it, hear nothing for years, and if you're lucky, eventually you'll get a check for something like $30. Settlements are usually doled out per-share and the amount is generally too small to be that meaningful to the average investor. Class action lawsuits get lawyers rich, that's about it.

gkryhewy

kathode said:
I've been involved in a couple. Generally you fill out the paperwork, forget about it, hear nothing for years, and if you're lucky, eventually you'll get a check for something like $30. Settlements are usually doled out per-share and the amount is generally too small to be that meaningful to the average investor. Class action lawsuits get lawyers rich, that's about it.

In the case of CROX, I don't see how there's even a case. I don't think they misled anyone or anything like that.

lil smoke

Banned
kathode said:
oh, so it's not worth it, but for principle. They basically F'd with my $. I hadn't invested too much in it, but it did hurt a bit. I think I'll sign on just to help send the message.

I wonder what this'll do to the perception of CROX? Is it all over?

I'm glad I took the risk and bought some CROX yesterday when it was around $34. It picked up again and I traded it when it reached $38.50. Made a decent amount of change. Maybe I'll take the BF out for a fancy dinner =D

Top Bottom