• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Mrbob

Add a little more to the potential buyout news here for SPHS:

http://exithub.com/sophiris-bio-sphs-hires-oppenheimer-opy-to-explore-strategic-alternatives/

From May but the concept still holds. RLYP went through same process ended up getting bought out today. Lots of big cap Biotech companies sitting on massive piles of cash and need to make moves to keep Wall Street happy.

Still, you have to have a stomach for a wild ride and nothing is guaranteed. Float isn't huge and today traded at low of 3.23 to high of 4.24 before settling on 3.95( going to 4.05 after hours). Just so you know what you are getting into. However big buys kept flowing in which means money managers are loading up.

"Let's look, this company seems interesting. Good results also. Hm... maybe bit high at the moment, maybe wait for a bit and keep an eye on it."

Hour later: +6%. Of course...

Ouch, that's a big drop. Not that surprised, since the earnings from the app are shared and the rise was way too big to justify for now. If they can launch a few others like it around popular IPs, then maybe.

Bought some Philips today. See how the earnings are next week. And my BMW caught the stop limit this morning. Set it a bit too tight. Picking it up later if it drops again. But for now it pays the groceries this week I guess.

Mrbob

I figured the Pokebump couldn't sustain but at least it made you some good money.

"Let's look, this company seems interesting. Good results also. Hm... maybe bit high at the moment, maybe wait for a bit and keep an eye on it."

Hour later: +6%. Of course...
I have this issue too at times. Now I try to limit buy and it can be pretty successful. Not always as the price doesn't come down to what you want.

Bloomers

Just spotted this thread and the OP.

Does anyone have any go-to resources for someone interested in understanding the stock market game?
I'm relatively young and have been meaning to learn for a while now, so that once I really get my career underway I can start making investments. Anything from websites, books, forums, etc would be cool; my goal is to be active within the next year or two

I have this issue too at times. Now I try to limit buy and it can be pretty successful. Not always as the price doesn't come down to what you want.
Well, this one was a bit stupid on my part. There were positive earnings reports coming out. I was looking at the chart and thinking "well, it isn't rising, so must be already calculated in and it's a bit high, nevermind." Seems the computers were a bit slow in getting the news.

I did pick up some stock of the parent company this one is a spin-off from (Philips) that is having earnings next week.

And I also set limits. Always actually. Not running the risk of a sudden spike and getting a strange price. Got two out now, so it grabs them if it drops to the level I want. The actual challenge is to stick to your limits here and not change along the way. Stick to your plan, but it's hard sometimes.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
How do I buy Nintendo stock?

I am in Canada and have Questrade account. I dont see Nintendo in NASDAQ.

How do I buy Nintendo stock?

I am in Canada and have Questrade account. I dont see Nintendo in NASDAQ.
Look for NTDOY I think: http://www.google.com/finance?q=OTCMKTS:NTDOY

How can I buy stock?
Nintendo of America Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Co., Ltd., which is located in Kyoto, Japan. Although ordinary Nintendo stock shares are traded only through the Tokyo and Osaka stock exchanges, un sponsored American Depository Receipts (ADRs) are available on the over-the-counter market. For more information, please contact a local stock brokerage firm.
https://www.nintendo.com/corp/faq.jsp#stock

Might be your broker doesn't offer it. If you really want them, just sent them an email about it and maybe they can add it on your account.

vpance

I may caution against buying it at this point. The ship has mostly sailed.

I think there is a good chance this stock is fucked long term, and everything post Wii U bottom is nothing but dead cat bounces.

That said, I think there's still upside to it in the short to medium term, as long as it can stay above $24 or so. It's a purely technical outlook, but news and event wise I guess it'll be due to more mobile annoucements, an eventual NX bump, and the current overall bullish trend of the market.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
I'll post more later but to those looking into biotech stocks check out SPHS. Doing some great things, big money starting to flow into it as well. Might be some consolidation pull back since it went up almost 100% in two days but if they deliver the current price point is dirt cheap.

Rumors flowing too that they are in negotiations for buyout. Normally I don't buy based off buyouts but they may have the wonder drug to treat prostate cancer.

Like all biotechs though big time risk/reward to invest.

Thanks for the tip, I decided to risk buying some on a whim when I read your post and it's already up more than 50% since Thursday. *thumbs up*

I'm so close on SCTY. Just need 28.20 to break even again. It looks like the deal with Tesla might still be coming and I am unsure of how that will impact the price.

Mrbob

Thanks for the tip, I decided to risk buying some on a whim when I read your post and it's already up more than 50% since Thursday. *thumbs up*

Cool, glad to hear it. I was like this watching the stock go supernova in the last hour today.

rWAOxK.gif

Another 34% increase for the day which is unbelievable. Up after hours as well.

Still, as much as the good times are rolling need an exit plan in place for worst case scenario. Checking the charts it is looking like 5.50 might be low resistance with 7.05 as upper. If 7.05 is broken the next resistance might be much higher, around 12 dollars. Need to keep a close eye on the stock though for any type of downward trend so you can move out with some profit. If 5.50 is broken on high volume probably a signal to get out. But not if money managers are walking the price down slowly. I've watched them tactically walk down the price of the stock slowly the last couple days to gobble shares and buy it back up. They want all those stop sells at a discount.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Cool, glad to hear it. I was like this watching the stock go supernova in the last hour today.

rWAOxK.gif

Still, as much as the good times are rolling need an exit plan in place for worst case scenario. Checking the charts it is looking like 5.50 might be low resistance with 7.05 as upper. If 7.05 is broken the next resistance might be much higher, around 12 dollars. Need to keep a close eye on the stock though for any type of downward trend so you can move out with some profit. If 5.50 is broken on high volume probably a signal to get out. But not if money managers are walking the price down slowly. I've watched them tactically walk down the price of the stock slowly the last couple days to gobble shares and buy it back up. They want all those stop sells at a discount.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye on it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
On Bloomberg, an analyst was talking about how Apple might expand in cars or whatever and then went on to say that buying a TV studio wouldn't fit in their content-platform strategy, but then goes on to say that Apple could buy Twitter. Give me a break.

vpance

Bounce in this area for Nintendo is good, but I think you'd need to hold through earnings to catch any big move up. Very much a binary trading event.

Cedric

I may caution against buying it at this point. The ship has mostly sailed.

Really? If Pokémon Go generated all this hype, isn't there a chance Nintendo could do it again with their next mobile installments? Or future Go updates? Or is there something I,m missing.

Really? If Pokémon Go generated all this hype, isn't there a chance Nintendo could do it again with their next mobile installments? Or future Go updates? Or is there something I,m missing.
Nintendo does not get all income from the Pokemon Go app, since it is shared with other companies. So the revenue there will only contribute to Nintendo's income in a smaller way. Investors now realized that, thus the drop in price.

Can they replicate the success? Who knows. I wouldn't bet on it myself. Outside of bringing Mario to mobiles I don't see any of their property at the moment generating as much hype as Pokemon GO has done.

In any case that won't happen anytime soon I think. The announcement of the NX will probably be the next thing to really move Nintendo stock, but in which direction is anyone's guess.

Cedric

Nintendo does not get all income from the Pokemon Go app, since it is shared with other companies. So the revenue there will only contribute to Nintendo's income in a smaller way. Investors now realized that, thus the drop in price.

Can they replicate the success? Who knows. I wouldn't bet on it myself. Outside of bringing Mario to mobiles I don't see any of their property at the moment generating as much hype as Pokemon GO has done.

In any case that won't happen anytime soon I think. The announcement of the NX will probably be the next thing to really move Nintendo stock, but in which direction is anyone's guess.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that it is actually Niantic and not Nintendo that is behind Pokémon GO and as far as I know you can't buy Niantic stocks. Next mobile apps I believe are Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing, and as you said it is very unlikely that those two will become a thing on the scale of Pokémon. I'm not really banking on NX blowing up either, I don't see it happening.

With all that being said, could Nintendo buy Niantic in the long term? Or is there a high chance that they develop future apps internally or buy small third party developers? I'm not at all savvy with this type of business, but I would think it would be a reasonable guess. Especially if they eventually plan on using the Mario IP, Pokémon GO demonstrated that, even for a short while, people were willing to invest in Nintendo under the assumption that they were the developers.

Sorry if I misuse some words here, as I said this is just an assessment from a casual dude with 0 knowledge in this field.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that it is actually Niantic and not Nintendo that is behind Pokémon GO and as far as I know you can't buy Niantic stocks. Next mobile apps I believe are Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing, and as you said it is very unlikely that those two will become a thing on the scale of Pokémon. I'm not really banking on NX blowing up either, I don't see it happening.

With all that being said, could Nintendo buy Niantic in the long term? Or is there a high chance that they develop future apps internally or buy small third party developers? I'm not at all savvy with this type of business, but I would think it would be a reasonable guess. Especially if they eventually plan on using the Mario IP, Pokémon GO demonstrated that, even for a short while, people were willing to invest in Nintendo under the assumption that they were the developers.

Sorry if I misuse some words here, as I said this is just an assessment from a casual dude with 0 knowledge in this field.
Must say I am not an expert also and don't hold any Nintendo stock. But at this level I'd be wary to buy. The things you are talking about are all pretty big gambles I think.

rWAOxK.gif

This thing went crazy today, thanks cause I jumped in last week. So what now, any chance of another jump or is it a good time to cash in.

Mrbob

Yup RSI went to 99.999 and I ended up selling off at 7.46 after that first big drop... Still over 100% gain ( buy in avg 3.46) for 4 days work so can't complain. Looking to get back in now if it drops some more in the next couple days. The long term play is still valid but need take profits when available and not rely on hope of something happening. Why spec plays need to be watched carefully. Have to move fast at times. These stocks are always big risk/reward.

This thing went crazy today, thanks cause I jumped in last week. So what now, any chance of another jump or is it a good time to cash in.

Hopefully you were watching it today especially that last hour action. I would probably cash in for profit now. Your average should be around 4 if you bought last week.

Yup RSI went to 99.999 and I ended up selling off at 7.46 after that first big drop... Still over 100% gain ( buy in avg 3.46) for 4 days work so can't complain. Looking to get back in now if it drops some more in the next couple days. The long term play is still valid but need take profits when available and not rely on hope of something happening. Why spec plays need to be watched carefully. Have to move fast at times. These stocks are always big risk/reward.

Hopefully you were watching it today especially that last hour action. I would probably cash in for profit now. Your average should be around 4 if you bought last week.

Mine is 4.5

Should i sell?

Mrbob

°°ToMmY°°;211482678 said:
Mine is 4.5

Should i sell?
Tough to say as we are officially in shake out mode not sure how low it will go. If you aren't going to keep a close eye on the stock then yes i would sell.
Better to take a profit than loss.

Got out before the really deep drop too, made a good chunk. Thanks. So I don't know much of these kinds of stock, what exactly happened today.

vpance

It should come down to at least 4.5 soon if not tomorrow, which actually might be good support. Just looking at an hourly chart. Stocks have a habit of filling gaps in trading price, which there was one from Monday.

Mrbob

Got out before the really deep drop too, made a good chunk. Thanks. So I don't know much of these kinds of stock, what exactly happened today.
I believe multiple things happened today. The start of the day was good because the stock was down 8%. Which is nice for consolidation after a big run. Then it started to move massively to the upside again which really isn't sustainable. Why I kept an eye on it carefully. With the recent big run on the stock short interest increased....plus a bunch of stops were put in place. Lower float plus stops plus shorts and you have significant downward action when the price moves lower.

BeforeU

omg AAPL 7% up, fuck yesss. So happy.

This earning season i am two for two lol i put money on both MSFT and AAPL. Both delivered.

Mrbob

Apple being up shows how weird the market is. Numbers were down but better than expectations so stock price goes up.

How low do you guys think Twitter will go after this earnings report? Not awful earnings but terrible forecast. Curious to see how low it will go.

BeforeU

Apple being up shows how weird the market is. Numbers were down but better than expectations so stock price goes up.

How low do you guys think Twitter will go after this earnings report? Not awful earnings but terrible forecast. Curious to see how low it will go.

ya I know lol they sold 0.2 million more iPhone than projected. I am selling it first thing in the morning, not going to be greedy over this, I don't expect AAPL to go too high. Their revenue has already been declining since last year.

Twitter is weird to me, before I use to think once they figure out how to monetize. Their stock will literally double, now I don't think they can even monetize or has any plan to make more money. I would personally stay away from it.

BeforeU

AAPL red path and blue path

I think it takes the blue, but those days of constant market outperform status are long gone. Better buys out there IMO.

you really think AAPL will shoot up that high? on what basis? I am planning to selling today, give me some compelling reason not to :p

vpance

you really think AAPL will shoot up that high? on what basis? I am planning to selling today, give me some compelling reason not to :p

That's just a possible path, but as long as it's still stuck under that diagonal line it won't play out, obviously.

Sell today looks good though, you could always get in later when it breaks that resistance.

Mrbob

That AVXL stock crash today is tough to watch. Getting dumped in mass. No position just viewing from sidelines.

Also looks like SPHS is about to hit the bottom of the channel soon. Curious to see if it bounces again. I want to take a long position but not sure what it is going to do. Though I like to have a 2 day rule after seeing a stock drop fast. Do nothing for two days after a big drop to see where things level out.

ColdPizza

Banned
That AVXL stock crash today is tough to watch. Getting dumped in mass. No position just viewing from sidelines.

Also looks like SPHS is about to hit the bottom of the channel soon. Curious to see if it bounces again. I want to take a long position but not sure what it is going to do. Though I like to have a 2 day rule after seeing a stock drop fast. Do nothing for two days after a big drop to see where things level out.

Ouch, glad I never jumped on the AVXL train.

Wondering if the biotech bear market will turn around in the next month or so.

Mrbob

I was looking at my built motif, I should have stayed in it haha. I had jumped out when it was 8%, last check was 15% up. Always fun to beat the market.

My biggest winner was EXEL up almost 70%. Loser was Chipotle, down 40%. Still I'll take that 15% average. Time to rebuild one with new stocks and go back in see if I can do it again.

Ouch, glad I never jumped on the AVXL train.

Wondering if the biotech bear market will turn around in the next month or so.

On a whole the biotech market is on a verge of breaking out. But politics might keep it down. I don't expect bad data from NVAX but that could basically happen to the stock if phase 3 data ends up being poor.

Top Bottom