• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Good numbers for Ahold. Up today by 5%, hoping it holds.

Also got back in ING stocks (finance). Sold way too soon some time ago it seems. Hoping it doesn't crash again like last year.

hurzelein

But do people really like that Twitter would have to add a bunch of images, auto-play videos, etc., to its feed to get people to see or click on the ads?

That actually is exactly what Twitter is doing right now. Maybe try it sometime before comparing it :) I agree however that Twitter isn't a good stock, just because there are better options. The only thing that I see making the company more succesfull is new managment or a buyout (and buyout would 100% mean new managment).

Tesla up another 5% why why wtf.

I want to cry :( sold it for 226 just few weeks ago :(

I have no idea what is powering the run-up on TSLA but I'm not complaining. Hard to believe it was at $180 a month ago. In the past 6 months, I have been +25%, -25%, and now I'm +15% again. TSLA is one wild ride.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Relax with TSLA guys, look at the past few years, it has been hovering in the same range. It will probably end up going as low as 200 again this year. I'm sure there will be buying opportunities ahead.

I hope you're right, I want to increase the size of my stake ahead of the Model 3 launch which is actually looking completely on-schedule right now. The Gigafactory opened as planned, components are already being manufactured, and there are still 400,000 or so preorders sitting around waiting to be fulfilled. You can do the math yourself on how much 400,000 preorders of a car which is projected to cost $35,000 is in potential revenue.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I hope you're right, I want to increase the size of my stake ahead of the Model 3 launch which is actually looking completely on-schedule right now. The Gigafactory opened as planned, components are already being manufactured, and there are still 400,000 or so preorders sitting around waiting to be fulfilled. You can do the math yourself on how much 400,000 preorders of a car which is projected to cost $35,000 is in potential revenue.

The people who invested millions did that math already, those preorder numbers were out a while ago. So they have to surprise everyone and somehow do more.

BeforeU

Went to Trading Academy session today. I didn't wanted to go, my dad insisted me to come with him since it was free. before going in, I already knew this is going to be a sales pitch. And I wasn't wrong. From get go they said after this free session, there is going to be 3 days of learning crap that will cost $1000 CAD.

During the free run, they were kept talking about how Forex and Options are where you make the most money etc. etc. the guy was extremely well speaker btw. I don't think he was giving out false information, but he was making some insane claims. Some lady made 60k in 6month by doing this lmao. Basically they tell you exactly what to buy, when to buy and when to sell. He made everything sound so easy, its like money is just sitting there. You have to go grab it.

Anyways here we come to the end of the session, and price magically drops to $300 CAD and the guy was like if you can't make this $300 decision right now, you won't be able to trade in the first place. So don't bother hahaha so they were forcing everyone to pay the fee right now.

I am sitting beside my dad, laughing inside and I knew my dad will fall for this. So he asked them, can we both do this for 300. Basically you can bring your spouse but no one else. BUT they are like fine you can bring your son. I was wtf. They just begging for the money now, bending their rules as they go so you pay as soon as possible.

I told my dad just don't. but he liked what he heard in these 3hr session and information he got. So he is like even if its a scam, its not like we are paying them any further. 300 for both of us, 150 each for 3 day session where food will also be provided. What could possibly go wrong.

I am like fine, but you will not pay a penny more. Because these type of institution will not stop at 300, I am sure there will be a next thing that will cost more and they will ask you for that too. So he made a promise and basically we ended up paying $330 CAD for both of us. Lets see how it goes. I am not expecting much. But I do want to get into Forex and Options trading.

but he was making some insane claims. Some lady made 60k in 6month by doing this lmao. Basically they tell you exactly what to buy, when to buy and when to sell. He made everything sound so easy, its like money is just sitting there. You have to go grab it.
If it is so easy, why sell the secret? Get a loan from the bank, become a billionaire and be done. But for some reason they always sell these "secrets."

Had some guy from Toronto call me yesterday, which was strange since I'm in Europe, but whatever, he got my number somewhere and asked if I was investing. Then he began bragging about the results. "You heard of NVIDIA? Well, I got my clients in at $30 last year and sold at $65, those are the returns you want right?" Should have said "well, I'd be mad at you for selling, since it went up all year and is over a 100 now" but I just said "nah, I'm good" and hang up.

Usobuko

Banned
So how does Twitter manage to make money in all this? Twitter doesn't really know anything about its users at all, so its ability to do anything worthwhile is really low. Any attempts to monetize it will undermine the platform. If they try to get more info about their users, they will lose people. No one is better positioned currently than FB, and to a lesser extent Google, to do something useful with big data. Twitter can't, and the anonymity that is behind the support you mention is actually undermining the company's ability to generate income. They can pretty much only hope that their ads will be clicked, and their ability to do targeted ads is extremely poor, mainly based on who you follow, what you search for, that kind of unreliable stuff.

Dead company, only hope you can have is that some other dumb company buys it..

My issue with Twitter is engagement and flat-line user growth. It's fighting relevancy atm

Right now, it's the A list stars and well-known personalities dominating this social media whereas the average joe is spending more of their time on instagram, facebook and for the millennial snapchat as well. It's very hard for them to grow if the content itself posted by its users feels more like a promotion, lacking authenticity, all the damn time. Not to mention the lacking of tools to due with harassment and bullying.

I do want to get into Forex and Options trading.

Take care not to over-leverage. The movement of currencies are very small that's why people trade using tens or hundreds of their capital.

There are banks and companies willing to lend money to you. For me, I stayed out of Forex because it's usually easier to tell how well a business will perform than a country's performance.

hurzelein

Went to Trading Academy session today. I didn't wanted to go, my dad insisted me to come with him since it was free. before going in, I already knew this is going to be a sales pitch. And I wasn't wrong. From get go they said after this free session, there is going to be 3 days of learning crap that will cost $1000 CAD.

During the free run, they were kept talking about how Forex and Options are where you make the most money etc. etc. the guy was extremely well speaker btw. I don't think he was giving out false information, but he was making some insane claims. Some lady made 60k in 6month by doing this lmao. Basically they tell you exactly what to buy, when to buy and when to sell. He made everything sound so easy, its like money is just sitting there. You have to go grab it.

Anyways here we come to the end of the session, and price magically drops to $300 CAD and the guy was like if you can't make this $300 decision right now, you won't be able to trade in the first place. So don't bother hahaha so they were forcing everyone to pay the fee right now.

I am sitting beside my dad, laughing inside and I knew my dad will fall for this. So he asked them, can we both do this for 300. Basically you can bring your spouse but no one else. BUT they are like fine you can bring your son. I was wtf. They just begging for the money now, bending their rules as they go so you pay as soon as possible.

I told my dad just don't. but he liked what he heard in these 3hr session and information he got. So he is like even if its a scam, its not like we are paying them any further. 300 for both of us, 150 each for 3 day session where food will also be provided. What could possibly go wrong.

I am like fine, but you will not pay a penny more. Because these type of institution will not stop at 300, I am sure there will be a next thing that will cost more and they will ask you for that too. So he made a promise and basically we ended up paying $330 CAD for both of us. Lets see how it goes. I am not expecting much. But I do want to get into Forex and Options trading.

Haha, somehow I enjoyed reading this, please keep us updated :D

Morts

If I'm stressing over putting $3k into Vanguard S&P 500 does that mean I don't have the stomach for investing and should just keep my money in my savings account?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If I'm stressing over putting $3k into Vanguard S&P 500 does that mean I don't have the stomach for investing and should just keep my money in my savings account?

Split it in three payments over 6 months if that's as much as you'll invest. Never good to dump a whole sum into a long-term investment.

Morts

Split it in three payments over 6 months if that's as much as you'll invest. Never good to dump a whole sum into a long-term investment.

$3k is the minimum initial investment in the fund at Vanguard for the fund. Was going to set up small monthly contributions after that.

Right now trying to weigh the benefits of keeping funds liquid while planning a wedding versus missing out on investing sooner rather than later.

$3k is the minimum initial investment in the fund at Vanguard for the fund. Was going to set up small monthly contributions after that.

Right now trying to weigh the benefits of keeping funds liquid while planning a wedding versus missing out on investing sooner rather than later.
What time period are we talking for the wedding? If it is within a few months and you need to get the money out of the fund again, the risk of making and losing money could go both ways.

Sure you can't find a fund that makes you do smaller contributions from the start? I'm in a Vanguard S&P fund through my bank, and you can just buy one share if you want.

No point of getting Tesla at this point right?
Seems very high, I have no specific data to back it up, but I'd wait for a drop to get back in. Unless you think they will push another 10% or more on top of this.

Why not get into regular car companies if you are looking at that sector? Most of them are also jumping on the electric cars as well and a solid 4%+ dividend.

I have a $1000 would like to throw it in something that will double or more over the year. Preferably I would love to find this years nvidia. I don't mind some risk, but I also don't want to be micromanaging this thing. What's a good bet for this year?

Morts

What time period are we talking for the wedding? If it is within a few months and you need to get the money out of the fund again, the risk of making and losing money could go both ways.

Sure you can't find a fund that makes you do smaller contributions from the start? I'm in a Vanguard S&P fund through my bank, and you can just buy one share if you want.

Probably just under a year and a half. I've got the 6 months of expenses saved that I'm supposed to, just extra skittish that the current administration might cause mire volatility than normal.

I also have a small amount of Tesla that could get me about halfway to the $3k minimum for the Vanguard fund, but holy crap I wish I bought more of that when it was at $180 around two months ago.

tokkun

The evidence says the opposite: lump sum investment produces higher expected returns than dollar cost averaging.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/dollar-cost-averaging-does-it-produce-better-results/
http://www.valueaveraging.ca/docs/Analysis_Dollar_Cost_Averaging.pdf
https://pressroom.vanguard.com/nonindexed/7.23.2012_Dollar-cost_Averaging.pdf
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=83767

This sums it up well:

The bottom line is that while there’s no logical reason to DCA (as it’s an inferior approach), DCA may still serve a purpose. If you are so risk averse that you would not invest if you were forced to choose between investing a lump sum or not at all, DCA becomes “the lesser of evils.”

So yes, if you are too stressed out to do lump sum investing, go ahead and do DCA. But let's recognize that it is just a form of cognitive behavioral therapy rather than an optimal investment strategy.

I have a $1000 would like to throw it in something that will double or more over the year. Preferably I would love to find this years nvidia. I don't mind some risk, but I also don't want to be micromanaging this thing. What's a good bet for this year?

you can make a bet on the 2 mortage giants fannie mae and freddy mac

the new trump administration could reverse the net worth swap
or some court cases could be won

between $1 and $100 eveything is possible imho
right now trading slightly below $4
but still a OTC BB stock, so high risk (at least no pink sheet, tho)

I cashed out of Tesla today finally. Now over half my portfolio is sitting cash.

I may be looking into getting a new car, so maybe I'll just withdraw some and put it towards the down payment. I don't feel like it's a great time to invest.

Mrbob

I cashed out of Tesla today finally. Now over half my portfolio is sitting cash.

I may be looking into getting a new car, so maybe I'll just withdraw some and put it towards the down payment. I don't feel like it's a great time to invest.
For the US market I agree but perhaps not for the worldwide market. I keep investing in etfs for both (vti, vtv, vwo, vea, etc.) but I'm starting to tilt more towards vea than vti. Vea hasn't really broken out of range like vti has over the last 10 years. Plus vea pays a 2.8% divided while waiting for it to break out which is good.

For individual stocks I'm just staying in some of the big boys like Apple, Facebook, Gilead, Berkshire class b.

Time to buy DRYS and ride it back up to $100, hehe.

Hope you stayed away. I watch it for the lulz but won't invest in it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Just realized RY went up 36% in the last year. With a 3.6% dividend yield on top. Good stuff.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So for Canadians who invest in a US dollar account, I don't know if I asked this before: are you supposed to declare your gains/losses only when converting US dollars back to Canadian dollars?

Cause I've been declaring them whether they were in my US or CAD accounts, instead of just when I bring money back, and of course reporting the gain or loss in Canadian dollars. It's just not clear to me from what I'm reading. I'm pretty sure that was the right way to do it though; when you sell, you either have a gain or loss, regardless of if it's in your CAD or US account, and have to declare it but obviously declared in CAD.

Also I'm wondering why I'm only paying US taxes on dividends, I assume it's because they levy the tax automatically, but what about when I sell a stock? I file some paper at the end of the year for the US, but never had to pay them any tax as a result of selling stocks.

For the US market I agree but perhaps not for the worldwide market. I keep investing in etfs for both (vti, vtv, vwo, vea, etc.) but I'm starting to tilt more towards vea than vti. Vea hasn't really broken out of range like vti has over the last 10 years. Plus vea pays a 2.8% divided while waiting for it to break out which is good.

For individual stocks I'm just staying in some of the big boys like Apple, Facebook, Gilead, Berkshire class b.

I like VEA, VNQ, and BLV. VTI would be interesting, I'll keep an eye on it, it has risen a lot so I might wait. Really right now I feel like there's some upside potential in theory from the Trump admin, but then you look at how his administration and the GOP are behaving domestically and abroad, plus the uncertainty regarding potential scandals, and I don't see how there wouldn't be a big accident ahead for the global economy.

Trump gives me a headache.

I have all my money in american stocks, S&P500 and MSCI World.

While the ralley continues I can't figure out if this orange lunatic is going to crash the markets.

On the other hand, he's probably going to do everything to increase company profits because fuck the people.

Ultimately whatever Trump does, if the world doesn't end there will be another President after him who can reverse it.

The saying that "Timing the market doesn't matter. Time in the market does." is more relevant today than ever.

FinKL

I'm thoroughly convinced someone fucked up and put in a $830 buy in GOOG (hovered at 830 then tanked to 800) after that horrid earnings when they probably wanted to put it in GOOGL (which hovered around 850 then dipped to 830)
Wasn't me, but I just thought it was funny as GOOG and GOOGL trade nearly identical just at different price points

Mrbob

Trump gives me a headache.

I have all my money in american stocks, S&P500 and MSCI World.

While the ralley continues I can't figure out if this orange lunatic is going to crash the markets.

On the other hand, he's probably going to do everything to increase company profits because fuck the people.
I expect Trump to say something stupid too to bring about a correction but as long as you are invested in quality companies or etfs you'll be fine long term. I like to play with different specs to keep things interesting (and maybe find a gem) but it's a tiny portion of my portfolio.

I figure good companies can weather any storm. If anything take advantage of weakness in the market. I see downtimes as buying opportunities.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Well markets are going to crash soon. What Trump did today alone is going to pretty much fuck everything tomorrow. He has no idea what he's doing and markets are going to realize it, and they know there's no way out without impeachment, which is really unlikely because the GOP would basically hand over the presidency to the Dems in 2020, and could be severely impacted in all elections till then.

BeforeU

Yesterday i put an order for MSFT around 3 for 64.50...I hust realised it didnt go through lol damn it.

Well markets are going to crash soon. What Trump did today alone is going to pretty much fuck everything tomorrow. He has no idea what he's doing and markets are going to realize it, and they know there's no way out without impeachment, which is really unlikely because the GOP would basically hand over the presidency to the Dems in 2020, and could be severely impacted in all elections till then.

Which news in particular you talking about?

I have kept 50% cash, I will wait for the market to crash. I know you cant time it, but right now everything iw fucking at peak. No way its staying this high

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yesterday i put an order for MSFT around 3 for 64.50...I hust realised it didnt go through lol damn it.

Which news in particular you talking about?

I have kept 50% cash, I will wait for the market to crash. I know you cant time it, but right now everything iw fucking at peak. No way its staying this high

His stupid 20% tax. It basically tells everyone he has no idea wtf he's doing. Won't be long before that becomes obvious. The thing is how will he react once things don't work out? He's nuts.

I've never heard of this sub but damn.

I feel like only really stupid people inherit large amounts of money. Or maybe it's suddenly getting a lot of money that makes you stupid. People who are born into wealth knew what to do with it because they grew up with it I guess.

I don't trade on margin but I'm seriously thinking about taking my profits and dumping all my AAPL on Monday. It's factually true that no one likes the 7 and I've never seen someone in real life who has the 7. It's unarguably the worst selling iPhone in a very, very long time.

The good news is buy AAPL after Tuesday because they'll probably put the headphone jack back in the 8. That and the rumored OLED screen will be a big turnaround for them. I'm expecting AAPL to run up again like it did after Apple showed up in the large screen market with the 6+.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So right now Iran must be wondering if Russia will have its back. How quickly is Iran going to break the agreement and rush to try and make nukes? If they loses Russia's support, Trump would attack them under that premise.

I don't think the markets will be very happy this week.

BeforeU

shocked_kitty_gif_by_bubblesbear-d5xdup8.gif

hmmm good find lol

Top Bottom