• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

ManofOne

Plus Member
So I'm gonna start insulating my portfolio. I already started 2 days ago actually bond yields have barely moved for the start of the year despite a good recovery so far.

Seems people take precautions and so am I. Not liking what I seeing and if this continues the market will correct itself and I'll be there to buy. If I'm wrong then its business as usual next week. I'll keep my positions in my growth stocks

but all my high volitily positions I will reduce by 90.0%

ManofOne

Plus Member
AumAID6.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So I'm gonna start insulating my portfolio. I already started 2 days ago actually bond yields have barely moved for the start of the year despite a good recovery so far.

Seems people take precautions and so am I. Not liking what I seeing and if this continues the market will correct itself and I'll be there to buy. If I'm wrong then its business as usual next week. I'll keep my positions in my growth stocks

but all my high volitily positions I will reduce by 90.0%
I'm in roughly 40% cash, 20% CDN stuff that barely moves, 40% SPACs/volatile US stuff.

mango drank

You have any graphs that shows minute to minute trade volume? I wonder if a panic sell will even happen at this point.

Can also just use Yahoo Finance. Set the Date Range to 1D, and the Interval drop-down near the upper-right to "1Min," and then zoom in on the chart w/ your mouse.

NwK3K8o.jpg

Last edited:
lol, here come the "WSBman BAD" articles
Omar couldn't believe what was happening.

He should have been concentrating on the student he was tutoring in physics — a job he did during his free time while enrolled in a post-baccalaureate pre-med program — but Omar's eyes kept darting back to the Robinhood app open on his phone.
 Omar had invested $6,000 in Beyond Meat options; in the days before that tutoring session he'd seen the value of that investment rocket up to almost $15,000. What he was witnessing now, though, felt like torture.

 Down $2,000.

 Down $3,000.

 By lunchtime, the stock options Omar had bought were down around $7,000 from their peak.

 Omar knew he should probably sell the options before they became worthless. But he followed the mantra of the place where he'd first learned about options trading, the subreddit r/wallstreetbets, and held on.
"It was diamond hands," said Omar, using the site's term for holding an option even after incurring extreme losses or gains. "It was like, all or nothing."

 Within two days Omar had lost not only his gains but his entire initial investment.

 Desperate to earn it back, Omar, 23 years old and the child of working-class immigrant parents, took the rest of the money he could scrounge up — cash from his tutoring gig, his stimulus check, a chunk of his freshly-deposited student loans that was supposed to pay for his living expenses (which were basically non-existent after he had moved home during the Covid-19 outbreak) — and poured all of it, $22,000, into his Robinhood account. Then he opened up WallStreetBets.
 "I was really scared," Omar told CNN Business in an interview in August. "All I wanted to do was just make my initial money back and pay it off."

 By the end of the week, he had lost it all again.

 Omar, who spoke on the condition that he be referred to using a pseudonym out of concern over the legality of trading with money from his student loans, said that he blames himself for his losses but regrets ever stumbling upon one of Reddit's most active communities.

 "I would not have traded options," Omar admitted, "if I had not found WallStreetBets."

Last edited:

haxan7

Banned

I read "meme-filled" as "meme-befuddled" on the link preview text. I was hoping CNN had gone that far

Irobot82

Let's see. From CNN. Let me take a guess. They are alt right, gamer gate and it's also Trumps fault somehow.

they just need to give up, then it ends and we can all go home

I love this line:

"Describing itself as if "4chan found a Bloomberg terminal," the forum's giddy nihilism, inscrutable language and memes fueled a war on a perceived corrupted mainstream."

Ornlu

Banned
*as told to us by a clearly 100% real, totally accurate anonymous person whose life is (trust us guys) entirely as we are presenting here in this article.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Awful day. Probably the worst day in 3 months.

Thankfully had big gain on Wednesday and was up yesterday too. I'm up for the week. If it wasn't for today's down day, portfolio is at all time high.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Look at the attack article! So now WSB made him invest $28,000? Plus how the heck did he lose all of it that fast?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My only fear at this point is that the hedge funds have sold their souls to the powers that be and come to some kind of backroom arrangement in which they just don't have to pay anything for their short positions and they have no expiration date so they can all just hold out until these short ladder attacks combined retail broker app blockages eventually discourage enough of the retail investors and drop the price back down to something reasonable.

This is probably insane and illegal, but when prison is never in the cards and any fees they may face would be a pittance compared to what they stand to lose, why wouldn't they do it?

PSYGN

My only fear at this point is that the hedge funds have sold their souls to the powers that be and come to some kind of backroom arrangement in which they just don't have to pay anything for their short positions and they have no expiration date so they can all just hold out until these short ladder attacks combined retail broker app blockages eventually discourage enough of the retail investors and drop the price back down to something reasonable.

This is probably insane and illegal, but when prison is never in the cards and any fees they may face would be a pittance compared to what they stand to lose, why wouldn't they do it?

Been in the back of my mind also. It's insane to me that Robinhood can just ban certain stocks or limit you to just 1 in the most critical moments.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Been in the back of my mind also. It's insane to me that Robinhood can just ban certain stocks or limit you to just 1 in the most critical moments.

I never even considered it. If anything shows that the market is not free to all, then it's the retail broker blockages. The app users are not the customer, the clearing houses are.

I have no doubt (yet also no proof) they are also selling everyone's data (in aggregate of course) and informing their masters of where all of the limit sell and stop loss orders are so the funds can better coordinate their movements.

Last edited by a moderator:

haxan7

Banned
The old guy I'm watching raised an interesting point.

There are obviously large investment firms/brokerages/etc holding long positions in GME. Why didn't they pull out at any of the peaks? He said they definitely know something is up or they woulda been out long ago.

There are obviously large investment firms/brokerages/etc holding long positions in GME. Why didn't they pull out at any of the peaks? He said they definitely know something is up or they woulda been out long ago.
10k still possible, lets go

nikos

This guy has been more informative in the last few minutes than some of the guys I've been watching for days, who talk a lot without really saying much. Instantly subbed.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

This guy is an adult. Lesson learned. Don't throw all your money wherever someone spamming rocket ship emojis tells you to.

mckmas8808

Why am I agreeing with Tucker and Greenwald? Ewwwww, but they are so right.

So, here's the issue. bc of the volatility, to remain delta neutral, Market Makers are selling off their better assets for liquidity. I suspect that the SEC or some committee will move in and stop all these eventually b/c it hurting market activity and portfolios.

Its now shifting against those who are long GME. We'll see how it goes in the coming days but another black swan event is on the horizon if this continues.

So about AAPL....got beat up bad.

Crap amc is still up. My 100 shares are worth 1400 goddamit!

How much did you buy them for?

mckmas8808

Ok back to doge

I can't buy anymore DOGECOINS. RH is saying....

Not Enough Buying Power​

You don’t have enough buying power to place this order. Funds from recent stock, ETF, and option sales will be available for buying crypto within 3 business days.

I wanted to place $25 in DOGE and I have $175 in buying power. So what is RH doing here?

Top Bottom