• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Fun fact. I used to own 2200 shares of NVAX back in 2016. Then their RSV vaccine trial flopped and I lost like $14000 overnight, lol.

Since then they reverse split and now the stock is like $220. If I only held for 5 years I probably could have avoided the loss and actually make some money. Too bad I didn’t discover them AFTER their flop.

mango drank

stages_bubble.png

Looking at GME's chart we seem to be at the "New Paradigm" phase.
Let's see if that model bears out. Next week gonna be interesting.

jEhoGLC.jpg

Or option 2 :messenger_tears_of_joy:
WIzMXnn.jpg

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
What do they count as a trade? Open and close same position or are they counting just buys or just sells too?
Anything to do with buying and selling on the same security in one day...

I think...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Any broker that does this is not a serious player. It's simply unacceptable.

These guys have no long term future. I would get your money out of their service as fast as possible. I honestly would not be surprised if the whole thing just comes crashing down, screwing over everyone in the process.

Dunki

So they are losing a lot of money? Go hold andd buy then.

And for others. Shorts are still over 110% if these options run out The Hedgefund NEED to buy stocks no matter what the price is. And if no one wants to sell at 500 they have to pay 600 and if no one wants to sell at 600 they have to go even higher. And when their option was for example 4$ and they now have to pay 900 then they make minus by 896$ for each share option they had.

which then means that they have to pull out tons of money from the stock market. And stock like Apple microsooft will go down. Which when you sell at 1000 you should buy and invest in.

Or if you wnat to make them blled evvn more go for more shorts until you end them.

PS: I have not much knowledge wbut this is the gist I am getting from all of this in the last few days XD

Last edited:
Let's see if that model bears out. Next week gonna be interesting.

jcW8e4P.jpg

So they are losing a lot of money? Go hold andd buy then.

Good for amc, I hope gamestop does something smart with the possible second chance they've been given. They've got a window to raise a lot of capital and bolster their value. With smart management they could transform the company.

mango drank

Good for amc, I hope gamestop does something smart with the possible second chance they've been given. They've got a window to raise a lot of capital and bolster their value. With smart management they could transform the company.
Re: GME, that's interesting. Long-term, it's on GameStop to keep the stock price up. The stock meme will lose steam at some point soon (whether it's in a few days, weeks, or even months), and the price will drop because in the end shareholders need to believe in the long-term prospects of the company they've invested in. The price can't run on rainbows forever. GameStop management needs to convince a good chunk of their new investors that they've got really good ideas for the future of their company, and they need to do it pretty damn soon. I'm honestly not sure wtf GameStop can do to turn their business around at this point, though. What were some of the ideas being thrown out?

Last edited:
Re: GME, that's interesting. Long-term, it's on GameStop to keep the stock price up. The stock meme will lose steam at some point soon (whether it's in a few days, weeks, or even months), and the stock price will drop because in the end shareholders need to believe in the prospects of the company they've invested in. The price drop won't be so dramatic if GameStop management can convince a chunk of the investors that they've got really good ideas their for the future of the company. I'm honestly not sure wtf GameStop can do to turn their business around at this point, though. What were some of the ideas being thrown out?

As far as the share price, if gamestop released say, 10 million shares at current market price, they'd get immediately snatched up. Adding billions to their battle chest. Having money in the bank increases the companies value. Which would help stabilize the stock price (which currently isn't based on their value). What they do with that capital is up to them.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Fidelity has made over $3.0B, Blackrock $2.7B, and Vanguard $1.7B. Retail is not the only group making a killing over this.

I mean, in comparison to that, retail is not even making "a killing." I doubt even half a billion in profits are made by retail investors after all is said and done, and that's not even counting the folks who are going to take massive losses by not getting out at the right time.

mango drank

As far as the share price, if gamestop released say, 10 million shares at current market price, they'd get immediately snatched up. Adding billions to their battle chest. Having money in the bank increases the companies value. Which would help stabilize the stock price (which currently isn't based on their value). What they do with that capital is up to them.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't issuing new shares dilute the stock price? Even if they're all bought up, and even if that adds to the company's value, it's not enough to maintain the $300+ stock price for long. The company's earnings are negative. How are they going to turn that around? GameStop's business is retail, not banking. And the stock price isn't just a little overvalued based on their business right now--it's wildly overvalued. It's going to have to come back down to Earth.

Fidelity has made over $3.0B, Blackrock $2.7B, and Vanguard $1.7B. Retail is not the only group making a killing over this.
I shared my sentiments here:

These institutions offer investment products that they sell to customers for pensions, retirement funds, etc. Mutual funds and ETFs, that sort of thing. Not really the same thing as a hedge fund like Melvin that makes money with aggressive short selling attempting to profit from killing companies for few billionaires.

For example, if you were to buy the Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI) you will also be buying a small amount of GME inside of it. It's technically held by Vanguard: https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/profile/portfolio/VTI/portfolio-holdings

I looked through and that ETF alone holds 1,468,071 shares of GME as of 12/31/2020.

A lot of these funds are passive, so just tracking an index with math and algorithms, and the active ones have reasonable investment strategies outlined in the prospectuses. While they in theory have the ability to manipulate the markets negatively I don't think there's been evidence of that yet. I'm open to add them to the "fuck you" list but right now I'm indifferent.

I also find it funny how the narrative seems to be "but these institutions are earning billions!" when they have upwards of like $10T of assets under management. It's a drop in the bucket for them, and again, not directly "owned" by them but by the fund unit holders.

Just my 2 cents.

Position 12 GME @ $60. I also own Vanguard Canada ETFs VXC, VCN, and VAB.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
So is Robinhood in financial trouble? Saw a tweet they had taken an emergency billion dollar loan the other day. I've initiated a transfer of all my stocks to my TD Ameritrade account. Robinhood says they charge a $75 transfer fee....oh well.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't issuing new shares dilute the stock price? Even if they're all bought up, and even if that adds to the company's value, it's not enough to maintain the $300+ stock price for long. The company's earnings are negative. How are they going to turn that around? GameStop's business is retail, not banking. And the stock price isn't just a little overvalued based on their business right now--it's wildly overvalued. It's going to have to come back down to Earth.

No not in my opinion. If they issue 10, 20 million shares from the treasury, even if they negotiated a sale to a brokerage firm or two for whatever, 300-400 per share to "help them out" (get them out of 20 million short positions) it would create huge stability for them. They've never been that rich, that liquid. That would be huge for them to have 6-7 billion in the bank and for a time it should stabilize this share price. Money in the bank brings the value of the company up. Literally by the amount of the sale.

Does that help with the short squeeze? It certainly wouldn't kill it. There would still be something like 30-40 million short positions I think. And with a more stable stock price they won't be able to rely on ladder attacks or just sit back and wait for us all to give up. If the price is stable there's less fear in the retail investor to hold.

A plan for a turn around would help investor confidence. Gamestop's been whisper quiet. Something could be brewing for Feb 1st.

Or not 🤷

Remember stock buys drive price too. 10-20 million stocks being purchased all at once could drive the share price up all at once.

And yes I know it wouldn't just go up and stay up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
OK, this one got me :messenger_grinning_smiling:

NEW YORK—In response to the online brokering app halting trading on GameStop ($GME) after a surge in activity, Redditors filed a class-action lawsuit this week alleging that Robinhood has been on some bitch shit lately. “Robinhood willfully deprived investors of their hard-earned tendies,” read the brief in part, which also claimed that the online brokerage had left countless Redditors “holding the bag.” “This is the way. If every autist stands together, we’ll sue these Robinhood cucks out of house and home. Hold stronk. We’ll be buying the dip; they’ll be buying commissary in the clink.” At press time, a popular Reddit post urged “Euro retards” to show solidarity by filing class-action lawsuits in their countries of origin.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure how I feel on their sort of co-opting "tendies."

Dunki

GameStop short sellers are still not surrendering despite nearly $20 billion in losses this month​

• Short-selling hedge funds have suffered a mark-to-market loss of $19.75 billion year to date in the brick-and-mortar video game retailer GameStop, according to data from S3 Partners.
  • Still, short sellers mostly are holding onto their bearish positions or they are being replaced by new hedge funds willing to bet against the stock.

II know these are still peanuts but we are getting there^^

And the fun part is they are now eating themsevles and try to push other hedgefunds out of business

They are shorting gamestop know because they hope it wil fall and then they make tons of money. So what you have to do is to HOLD and BUY

Last edited:

FunkMiller

It will fall of course, the question is only when

Well, yeah... it’s a failing video games retail company, overvalued by about 20 billion. But the point is to fuck as many shit bag short traders as possible on the way.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member

GameStop short sellers are still not surrendering despite nearly $20 billion in losses this month​

• Short-selling hedge funds have suffered a mark-to-market loss of $19.75 billion year to date in the brick-and-mortar video game retailer GameStop, according to data from S3 Partners.
  • Still, short sellers mostly are holding onto their bearish positions or they are being replaced by new hedge funds willing to bet against the stock.

II know these are still peanuts but we are getting there^^

And the fun part is they are now eating themsevles and try to push other hedgefunds out of business

They are shorting gamestop know because they hope it wil fall and then they make tons of money. So what you have to do is to HOLD and BUY

Tbh I would short the stock myself now. Trading volume is down and the stock loses momentum fairly quickly. But what do I know about technicals.

I’m a value investor .

Last edited:
Top Bottom