• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

GHG

AMD

877489c7b09afc768a4f66e2a0a68f0b.gif

Animated GIF

ManofOne

Plus Member
So we've got this yet the market has gone nuts again this week?

It doesn't add up. I'm chilling, still not buying anything for the long term. Great market to trade in though.

Nah this is old news but the newer info is the producer index. That jumped so we can see another rise next report.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Up big on my biotechs but my SPACs are still eating dogshit.
I bailed on SPACs.

• Made tons on RMG (Romeo). Almost doubled my money
  • Made a bit on VGAC
  • Broke even on HZON. This one never really moved
  • Lost what I made on VGAC on FIII. FIII was up but it tanked since beginning of year and I bailed at like $10.

Yeah, it will. And the long term investments that track the s&p 500 will make you more money on the long run. Sure, you could hit the lottery, but if you are investing and not gambling, then in the long run, low and steady is how you acquire wealth.

You have been quite this week. Thanks for posting this. This has me concerned.

this isnt a gamble for me, i’ve studied this for months, its a gamble if you have no idea what you’re doing, if you do its definetly an investment, as legit as any other.

im up about 340% now.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
+2%. What a run the past two weeks. I hope this shit holds.

My stocks are up about +12-13% in 2 weeks and I dont even have any meme-ish AMC/GME stocks.

Sitting pretty for the weekend.

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

Raven117

this isnt a gamble for me, i’ve studied this for months, its a gamble if you have no idea what you’re doing, if you do its definetly an investment, as legit as any other.

im up about 340% now.
Im glad to hear it. Really. But without actually knowing what your $$$ is (and don't post it, obvioulsy), its hard to put any weight to this number. Its easy to high risk 1000 bucks. Its alot harder to high risk 500K, or a C-note. You can "DD" all you want. Maybe you will always beat the market and stay a step ahead. Hope you do. But for most people, this is insanely reckless investing advice that flies in the face of sound long term investment strategy.

You realize that people have studied their entire careers with the backing of institutional knowledge (that contol trillions in assets) that still can't consistently beat the market. None do. NONE.

But the averages don't lie. The vast...VAST majority of investors picking the slow funds, ETFs, etc. that track the market do better in the long run.

Last edited:

GHG

Im glad to hear it. Really. But without actually knowing what your $$$ is (and don't post it, obvioulsy), its hard to put any weight to this number. Its easy to high risk 1000 bucks. Its alot harder to high risk 500K, or a C-note. You can "DD" all you want. Maybe you will always beat the market and stay a step ahead. Hope you do. But for most people, this is insanely reckless investing advice that flies in the face of sound long term investment strategy.

You realize that people have studied their entire careers with the backing of institutional knowledge that still can't consistently beat the market. None do. NONE.

But the averages don't lie. The vast...VAST majority of investors picking the slow funds, ETFs, etc. that track the market do better in the long run.

What people are failing to realise is that they need institutions to support them on the way up.

Todays volume on AMC so far at the time of writing:

Average price from the days range on AMC:

$31.615

That's the following amount of money being thrown in to AMC today:

$12,146,483,000

Not a chance that's just retail and the shorts covering. Hedge funds are making bank too and the fun stops when they say so. People are delusional if they think this can be sustained with just retail alone.

Last edited:

Raven117

What people are failing to realise is that they need institutions to support them on the way up.

Todays volume on AMC so far at the time of writing:

Average price from the days range on AMC:

$31.615

That's the following amount of money being thrown in to AMC today:

$12,146,483,000

Not a chance that's just retail and the shorts covering. Hedge funds are making bank too and the fun stops when they say so. People are delusional if they think this can be sustained with just retail alone.
Of course. The hedge funds are enjoying the volatility. Its a trading vehicle divorced from the actual business.

Last edited:

GHG

Dawg. I did my DD.
If the stock is 20 dollars and there is no movies, it will be like... at least $200 dollars when there are movies.

I read $1000 a share yesterday. The guy even said "easy" after $1000 so once you take in to account their debt, negative cash flow and negative income In to account I'm thinking $3000 a share.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Dawg. I did my DD.
If the stock is 20 dollars and there is no movies, it will be like... at least $200 dollars when there are movies.
It is possible he is looking at borrowed shares, TA, online sentiment metrics, and other things. Some people have sound theories to argue for their AMC/GME positions, but I bet it is a minimal amount of individuals to the large majority that are following the herd.

So we've got this yet the market has gone nuts again this week?

It doesn't add up. I'm chilling, still not buying anything for the long term. Great market to trade in though.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the market isn't reacting because the FED has assured people that they aren't even "thinking about thinking about" raising rates. They've said they're gonna let this inflation ride because they think its transitory, something that I don't believe.

35 might have been the top.

they did this with GME they spiked the price and sold out early in the morning while retail traders are sleeping.

I'm this type retail AMC holder, wish I was in Toronto time. lol
I'm still holding since it is pure profit now for me after I cashed in half yesterday.

GHG

Correct me if I'm wrong but the market isn't reacting because the FED has assured people that they aren't even "thinking about thinking about" raising rates. They've said they're gonna let this inflation ride because they think its transitory, something that I don't believe.

The issue I have is that people seem to have short memories.

This inflation problem hasn't gone away but the markets are largely behaving like it is. But then on the other hand whenever the I word is spoken about the market will shit itself.

Tbh I'm not complaining, I now have 30% of my portfolio in cash and I'm just using that to trade the volatility in the meantime. I've had an amazing couple of weeks without needing to hold on to anything for too long.

3x bull ETF's on the upside and 3x inverse ETF's on the down side. A clear pattern is emerging and my expectations are that we will have a significant pullback once again next week at some point.

ManofOne

Plus Member
The issue I have is that people seem to have short memories.

This inflation problem hasn't gone away but the markets are largely behaving like it is. But then on the other hand whenever the I word is spoken about the market will shit itself.

Tbh I'm not complaining, I now have 30% of my portfolio in cash and I'm just using that to trade the volatility in the meantime. I've had an amazing couple of weeks without needing to hold on to anything for too long.

3x bull ETF's on the upside and 3x inverse ETF's on the down side. A clear pattern is emerging and my expectations are that we will have a significant pullback once again next week at some point.

I think a 50 -75 basis point rise has been priced in. However, if inflation is looking stick and hitting targets over 4.0% then you can see a faster and higher rise in nominal rates

700M shares traded hands on friday

460M is the total float

Fidelity claism 90% of transactions on friday were buyers.

The majority of us held and didnt sell, let alone almost twice the total float.

The amount of synthetic shares must really be through the roof.

Nothing to see here.

Last edited:
Thoughts on buying a couple put options today for AMC? Has to come crashing down eventually. This run up is ridiculous.

Today is not the day, wait for the squeeze to start, thats when you should short it to make a killing on the way down.

Today I expect us to test 35$ again and hover around 32$ for the day if we dont pass 35.

The movie theater chain AMC is raising $230.5 million through an 8.5 million share sale, cashing in on the meme stock frenzy that has sent its stock price up more than 1,100% this year.....AMC said Tuesday that the company will use proceeds from its share sale to invest in new leases and on improvements in existing theaters.

Smart move, imagine what they could have done with additional shares approved. Even if it wasn't offered to the public, could have changed sentiment.

GHG

Smart move, imagine what they could have done with additional shares approved. Even if it wasn't offered to the public, could have changed sentiment.

They could have erased all their debt and then some if they did an ATM offering.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Some shit I'm looking at:

Grocery Outlet at $34. Had it twice before and made money. It had a missed sales estimate weeks ago tanking the stock from the low $40s, but has settle at low/mid $30s. Possible entry point and dump it at $40-ish again.

UTZ chips. Didn't make much last year. Bought it at IPO, did nothing for months and sold for maybe 10% profit tops. They it skyrocketed to $30, but down to $23 and settled.

Bird Construction on TSX. $9.50. Pays 4% dividend based on monthly distribution of about 3 cents/mth. A stock to buy and hold it for years with.

Last edited:

GHG

Sold before the party even started? I plan to load up more when it dips below $4 again. I'm very bullish on SELB in the coming years.

I plan to get in again if the opportunity arises but for now I'm trading the chart with everything.

All it takes is one day of inflation FUD and there will be buying opportunities everywhere so if something I've bought in the last couple of months gets to 20% or above I'll strongly consider selling it.

Last edited:

GHG

They already sold...:

Mudrick had purchased 8.5 million shares at $27.12 apiece, according to AMC’s filing. The company’s stock hit a high of $33.53 per share, meaning Mudrick could easily have gained more than $40 million on the rally.

According to Bloomberg, the decision to dispose of the stake came after the firm concluded that AMC’s stock was overvalued.

AMC noted in its securities filing Tuesday that one risk factor for investors is that the stock could be considered overvalued.

In my view that's a sensational trade.

GIF by FOX International Channels

It speaks volumes when AMC themselves are saying this:

“Our market capitalization, as implied by various trading prices, currently reflects valuations that diverge significantly from those seen prior to recent volatility and that are significantly higher than our market capitalization immediately prior to the COVID-19 pandemic,” AMC executives said in Tuesday’s Securities and Exchange filing.

“And to the extent these valuations reflect trading dynamics unrelated to our financial performance or prospects, purchasers of our Class A common stock could incur substantial losses if there are declines in market prices driven by a return to earlier valuations,” the filing said.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Had the usual afternoon selloff as things trended down a bit, but still finished +0.8%.

For the first time ever, I might get into a gold stock like Barrick at $30 cdn.

Top Bottom