• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

gkryhewy

Gaylord Sweetwood said:
Yeah well, the axing of "minor" stuff like this can be beneficial. It all adds up.

On the other hand, keeping the limit at 100k would have led to bank runs. It all adds up the other way as well.

Jtyettis said:
Market wants a coordinated rate cut I don't know if it's necessarily needed, it might be. I do however believe the ECB desperately needs to cut rates and cut them fast.

ECB will cut rates by the end of the week, likely by Thursday. Fed will certainly cut rates by at least 50 basis points following Bernanke's comments today.

Krowley

This idea of a global rate cut seems pretty crazy to me. I'm not sure it's a good idea, but even if it is, I think it might be very wishful thinking.

I don't think anything short of an alien invasion could get the whole world to act in concert. This might be one of the biggest problems with a global economy. We're all dealing with the same economy, but there are hundreds of different leaders and philosophies, so acting in an organized way to solve something is basically impossible. The shit hits the fan, and everybody jumps in a different direction.

dionysus

Yaldog
Krowley said:
This idea of a global rate cut seems pretty crazy to me. I'm not sure it's a good idea, but even if it is, I think it might be very wishful thinking.

I don't think anything short of an alien invasion could get the whole world to act in concert. This might be one of the biggest problems with a global economy. We're all dealing with the same economy, but there are hundreds of different leaders and philosophies, so acting in an organized way to solve something is basically impossible. The shit hits the fan, and everybody jumps in a different direction.

The EU can't even act as one, and the market expects the world to. Haha. EU zone at 4% is absolutely absurd. They had there heads in the sand believing their economy was so much stronger than ours.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
U.S. Stocks Tumble; S&P, Dow Average Post Worst Annual Retreat Since 1937

Pimpwerx

Ether_Snake said:
U.S. Stocks Tumble; S&P, Dow Average Post Worst Annual Retreat Since 1937
Well I would hope so. The market has lost a third of its value in just one year. I would hope that's not a regular occurrence. I'm wondering, did all that money just disappear? PEACE.

yayaba

Has anyone been shorting stocks during this whole ordeal? Seems like you could make a shit ton of money if you had.

Tarazet

yayaba said:
Has anyone been shorting stocks during this whole ordeal? Seems like you could make a shit ton of money if you had.

I've been trading options, which is similar but much less of a pain in the ass. I suck at it though, I sold a Barclays put at a loss yesterday. I'm hoping to make amends by riding it in the other direction now.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
yayaba said:

See now, there is a bright side to all this news. People are still finding ways to make a killing even in a financial crisis.

dionysus said:
The EU can't even act as one, and the market expects the world to. Haha. EU zone at 4% is absolutely absurd. They had there heads in the sand believing their economy was so much stronger than ours.

Actually it's at 4.25%. And the ECB has a pretty strict policy: price stability is the primary concern, so you really can't lower the interest rate when the inflation is at ~4% (target: close to, but under 2%).

kathode

yayaba said:

Harder than it sounds though. You would have had to have been shorting through all the news about the bailout and the debt buyouts and everything else that was supposed to fix things. Plenty of people were naysayers from the sidelines but it takes some bigger balls to commit your money. Predicting the future continues to be difficult :)

WingM@n

I got a feeling something big is gonna happpen real soon. Don't know what, but this credit crycis is only the beginning.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
gkrykewy said:
You doomsday-ers never get old. Are you drunk?

I was an optimist. Now it's too fucked up. Better to go into a Depression, fix our mistakes and then rise again.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Nikkei dropping another 400 points.

Personally, as far as doom is concerned, I think we are less likely to go to war than in the past. The geopolitical scene is very different now then it was at the end of the end of the colonial empire's declines, which is what I consider WW1 and WW2 to be the end of.

I don't see a World War happening. I think those that may be affected the most will be poor production-oriented countries with large populations, like India and China. It won't be easy for us in the sense that pension funds are gonna dry up and all that, but the real suffering will probably happen against the highly populated nations.

The reason I think like this is because I have a FIRM belief that regardless of what humans do, nature still rules. The rules that dictate the way species evolve is no different than the way music, fashion, economic theories, etc., evolve and survive.

For example, the black plague hit Europe at a time when Europe had almost wiped out its forests completely. The lifestyle of Europeans, which led to the destruction of forests, was probably almost synonymous with a higher chance of epidemics. The years that followed led to a huge renewal for nature.

While we, the industrialized nations are the ones in charge of the demand, what we demand is not truly vital. But our demands are vital to large poor populations. A reduction in demand will be truly devastating for the poor nations, the poor people, but rich nations will probably manage to survive. Won't be pretty, but I think nature, not by design but by causality, will wipe out whatever it cannot support, and contrarily to popular belief it's not us it cannot support but rather the mechanisms that allow us to keep our level of demands to the level they have been in the past decades. It will force us to lower our demand by striking at what provides us with what we demand.

Again, not by design, but by causality.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Relix said:
I sold all my shares before registering any losses. Gonna invest them back in bonds. Jesus this sucks >_<

I wish I had done the same when I said I was pulling out a few weeks ago. Instead I threw more money in the market after selling my losers. Now I have only losers, except ABX and ATVI:p

But now I'm in savings mode, no more money spending in the markets, I need a larger safety net and I need more job security (will find out by the end of the week where I stand in that regard).

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Ether_Snake said:
I wish I had done the same when I said I was pulling out a few weeks ago. Instead I threw more money in the market after selling my losers. Now I have only losers, except ABX and ATVI:p

But now I'm in savings mode, no more money spending in the markets, I need a larger safety net and I need more job security (will find out by the end of the week where I stand in that regard).

Didn't you have a Stop Limit Order or something? I am paranoic about sharp drops, I prefer to pull out before any losses, even if minimal, and I don't care if I needed to pay god knows how much in commissions. Thinking of buying a few T Bills, but they are making my life impossible with an account authorization.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Relix said:
Didn't you have a Stop Limit Order or something? I am paranoic about sharp drops, I prefer to pull out before any losses, even if minimal, and I don't care if I needed to pay god knows how much in commissions. Thinking of buying a few T Bills, but they are making my life impossible with an account authorization.

I think using RBC I can't put a stop limit order, and I never thought things would be getting that bad that quickly really.

EDIT: Oh wait I can, I just never realized until now how it worked.

gkryhewy

Relix said:

The risk with stop-loss orders is that in a normal market, you can accidentally sell on a random spike down. Obviously in this case, hindsight is 20/20 :lol

Relix said:
I was an optimist. Now it's too fucked up. Better to go into a Depression, fix our mistakes and then rise again.

People desiring a depression never think it'll be THEM that will lose their jobs, or THEIR families who might suffer disastrously.

Well, except for JayDubya, who did say he'd rather be a hunter/gatherer if the alternative was nationalization or whatever :lol

Poor AHR, hold strong! You're managed by Blackrock, you are steadfast and the last bastion of good money management, or I'll be damned!

I'm looking at a lot of these older companies, MSFT, WMT, NIKE, MMM etc as possible buys in the next month or two, though that will depend really on the day-to-day news and markets. I'm young and can afford to wait for these companies to recover, so I'm in no immediate need of this money. Just trying to time (yes, basically do the impossible) the "bottom" of the market. Although, I like to think of the bottom as a process than a hard number.

iamblades

I am pretty much all in cash and a few bonds right now, i'm up about 2 % on the year, but im tempted to just dump everything in inflation protected funds at the soonest opportunity.

I have my doubts about the wisdom of fleeing to foreign markets, as I don't see a major currency that is safe from hyperinflation. Just look at what europe is doing now, they are spending away just like we are. Japan is already in debt up to the bottom of their nose. The developing economies don't have the huge debt, but we'll see how long their currencies lasts when no one can afford to buy their shit.

Besides, foreign equities are doing even worse the the domestic ones lately.

Its bear time baby, bonds bonds bonds. If the central banks are going to pay me with worthless money, i'm going to make sure I get more worthless money.

:lol :lol

Holy shit. Nikkei down 9.4% in one day. $250bln worth of equity, poof! Accordingly, the Topix dropped to 899.01, an almost 8% drop. Hold on to your hats boys and girls, the U.S. exchanges are about to see some hard times tomorrow!

xabre

Banned
nextgeneration said:
With Nikkei dropping nearly 1000 points, I wonder what's going to happen to the US markets in the morning. :(

Hard to say but there seems to be a trend across the board by banks to dump stocks and buy up US dollars as a hedge against future uncertainty. If that's the case stocks probably still have a long way to fall.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Soka said:
Holy shit. Nikkei down 9.4% in one day. $250bln worth of equity, poof! Accordingly, the Topix dropped to 899.01, an almost 8% drop. Hold on to your hats boys and girls, the U.S. exchanges are about to see some hard times tomorrow!

Especially if this continues for much longer, it'll really help with pan-handling on the street. It'll also double as a soup bowl.

Xabora

http://pimpinturtle.com/2008/09/08/web-bot-report-foresees-doom-october-7-turning-point.aspx
http://pimpinturtle.com/2008/09/22/...dio-with-george-and-cliff-the-time-monks.aspx

Looks like Web Bot had it right.

10/7 was the start. O_O

" The Web Bots see September 22-27, 2008 as precursor dates to the main turning point date of October 7, 2008. Closely watch events during September 22-27, 2008 for hints as to what to expect on October 7, 2008.

Cliff said whenever "it" happens, and whatever "it" turns out to be, "it" will be a date in history you remember like 9/11, we will remember 10/7.

The Web Bots foresee that October 7, 2008 to February 19, 2009 will be filled with emotional intensity, and the length of the release period will be extraordinary. The Web Bots have never picked up any event lasting this long. In comparison, 9/11 length lasted about 10 days. This event will be four months of high emotion......."

Web Bot Site:
http://www.halfpasthuman.com
http://www.urbansurvival.com

Also:
t24_au_en_usoz_2.gif

FTWer said:
How will this affect my anime & JRPGS?
Stick Figures...

For the record, October 7th is my birthday. Not only does the Nikkei tank on this day in history, but the U.S. began its first attack on Afghanistan after 9/11 back in 2001.

Fuck my birthday, damn!

Manager

Cloudy said:
Holy crap! Just saw the breaking news on CNN. Nikkei's biggest drop since 1987 :eek:

This is insane, they've discusses this for like 3 hours now. Now Quest went in and of course it ended in chaos and screaming between them.

WingM@n

gkrykewy said:
You doomsday-ers never get old. Are you drunk?
No I'm not drunk, but it's a good day to get drunk I guess. :lol
With something big I meant the fall of a huge corporation like GM, BOA etc.

I feel so good about the 7oz of gold I have in a safe underneath my bed.

But yeah, the Dow's gonna go through some very rough shit tomorrow.

Euro-Stoxx is also down ~5%.

Interesting to see btw., the major losers today in the German DAX are mostly non banks:
huge industrial companies like Siemens, BASF or Daimler.

eznark

Banned
xero273 said:
Dow futures up 164 now. I hope this means we'll be okay today.

today is looking like a solid rally. I think tomorrow will give it all back.

EDIT: Actually, the short-selling ban ends at midnight, which may help since it will encourage financial buys to hedge downside. Maybe we'll get close to 10 by the close of the week.

Top Bottom