• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

iifu

Neo Member
sonarrat said:
AAPL 89.20
GOOG 360.20
KLAC 26.13
AMZN 60.85
F 3.41
MSFT 24.31

I mean, good god.
b0.250.jpeg

mrWalrus

Banned
I mean.. even me with my currencies.. I've done VERY VERY well today.. but all I'm doing is making more 'firewood' for the winter.

Inflation-1923.jpg

gkryhewy

mrWalrus said:
Sorry I don't follow. If you mean sell everything even if there are immense losses. Yeah kinda.. I mean if you still have some capital you'd be better served holding on to it for the time when the fear is completely out.

Throwing money into the market now is like throwing it into a tornado. You might get lucky but.. odds are your neck is gonna break.

Sorry I was unclear - I was asking whether you were saying we should sell everything regardless of losses.

dionysus

Yaldog
I think the only buy right now is cheap beer. Budweiser here I come. No one gives up drinking, they just drink cheaper! My ibanker friends were drinking Nattie Light last weekend, normally they are bottle service guys! You know its bad when Wall St. is drinking Milwaukee's Beast instead of Kettle One.

Question: I'm thinking about liquidating my mutual funds and moving those funds into my e-trade account to get ready scoop up some deals. What is the general consensus on this? At this point, I'm about even (or even a small loss, like 3-5%) from when I first purchased the funds like 2.5 years ago. What is the impact on my income taxes?

Good idea? Bad idea? Sit it out?

CharlieDigital said:
Question: I'm thinking about liquidating my mutual funds and moving those funds into my e-trade account to get ready scoop up some deals. What is the general consensus on this? At this point, I'm about even (or even a small loss, like 3-5%) from when I first purchased the funds like 2.5 years ago. What is the impact on my income taxes?

If it's a loss you'll get a tax break. It's not dollar for dollar though, your losses will be taken out of your total income. So it would be Income - Stock Loss = taxable income. I'm almost positive that's it, but i'm not an accountant.

Tarazet

mrWalrus said:
Sorry I don't follow. If you mean sell everything even if there are immense losses. Yeah kinda.. I mean if you still have some capital you'd be better served holding on to it for the time when the fear is completely out.

Throwing money into the market now is like throwing it into a tornado. You might get lucky but.. odds are your neck is gonna break.

Remember when oil was supposed to hit $200 a barrel and the world was supposed to end? Panic is fueling this thing. This is the second Monday in a row stocks have dropped over 600 points. It's unnatural. We're not even in a recession yet. Inflation is on pace to get cut in half. It's at the point where you really have to wonder why banks are stalling themselves out.. there is some HUGE artificial manipulation of the market going on here.

manngc

CharlieDigital said:

Good idea? Bad idea? Sit it out?
If your long term investments are negative, your income taxes will be nill because you'll be claiming the maximum of $3000 loss for long term capital loss.

I've already lost 10% of my principle and I'm not sure if I just want to bail out to reinvest right back in...

mrWalrus

Banned
gkrykewy said:
Sorry I was unclear - I was asking whether you were saying we should sell everything regardless of losses.

At this point you might as well stay in for the rest of today, as someone else said perhaps there'll be a dead cat bounce tomorrow.

It kinda depends on what you're invested in as well (eg. is your company going to exist tomorrow? would anyone miss it if it went away?). I've been out of the actual market since last August 16th when the Fed Fucked me to the tune of a lot of money. I was wagering that we were going to see the action we're seeing now back then and thus was heavily stocked with puts on the DIA and Qs. Then Bernanke in his infinite wisdom let it leak to banks all over the place that there was going to be a half point discount window cut and the market shot to the moon smacking me down with its ultimate fury.

Really tho i'm one of the worst people to give advice on taking losses. Cause sometimes I just can't bring myself to do it.. it's the most important lesson a trader can learn tho and as I stated long ago when I used to post in this thread.. I don't want to get into giving specific buy or sell recommendations because I don't want to be blamed for your success or failure.

manngc said:
If your long term investments are negative, your income taxes will be nill because you'll be claiming the maximum of $3000 loss for long term capital loss.

I've already lost 10% of my principle and I'm not sure if I just want to bail out to reinvest right back in...

I'm so very tempted at this point to eat the losses to help with my income tax situation (owed $12,000 additional last year) and to have it ready to plop down on some stock.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Ok, I'm no expert on our economy, the stock market, or our financial institutions, but weren't the effects of the bail out supposed to be immediate. Not an immediate fix of course, but some kind of relief. Why did this happen, was the bailout worthless? If so shouldn't most people realize this by now, can't we overturn the bill instead of pumping more needless money into a failed market?

Tamanon

Banned
Extollere said:
Ok, I'm no expert on our economy, the stock market, or our financial institutions, but weren't the effects of the bail out supposed to be immediate. Not an immediate fix of course, but some kind of relief. Why did this happen, was the bailout worthless? If so shouldn't most people realize this by now, can't we overturn the bill instead of pumping more needless money into a failed market?

Not at all, the bailout group will still have to negotiate with banks that need bailing out to take care of things, it's a phased thing really.

ArtG

Extollere said:

I don't think the bailout was meant to make the stock market, the economy or the financial institutions immediately back into healthy territory. Instead, it was meant to put a band-aid on a huge cut that will take some time.

Some investors apparently viewed it as a panacea. When it passed, however, many realized that the economy will still suck after the bailout. It just won't be a bread-line level of suck.

gkryhewy

mrWalrus said:
At this point you might as well stay in for the rest of today, as someone else said perhaps there'll be a dead cat bounce tomorrow.

It kinda depends on what you're invested in as well (eg. is your company going to exist tomorrow? would anyone miss it if it went away?).

My only holdings are nintendo (NTDOY) and the the janus contrarian mutual fund (JSVAX), to the tune of a combined 20% of my total savings, the rest of which is in cash. I'm not really planning on selling - and I think I have learned when to sell this year :lol

I guess I just don't expect an apocalypse, and once the panic is gone, I expect the market to return to some level of stability.

kathode

Extollere said:

There was definitely a hope that it would instill some confidence in the market, which is sorely needed right now. Unfortunately the actual bailout money is going to take 4-6 weeks to get into the system. In the meantime, we're seeing evidence that situations similar to the US credit crisis are showing up in Europe and elsewhere, which is causing a lot of the panic selling we're seeing today.

Holy shit, I'm glad I sold out of my actual NFLX stock a week ago! They trimmed guidance and are down to the tune of 12% right now :eek:

mrWalrus

Banned
sonarrat said:
We're not even in a recession yet.

Sorry to say this.. but don't be so naive. If you believe the government's numbers then.. *shrug*

A recession isn't the end of the world.. starving one off and continuously inflating the balloon is why we are seeing what we are seeing. Houses doubling in value over 2 years? Now that was unnatural. That pace was never going to keep going.. Does anyone really think that Paulson and Bernanke didn't see this mess coming? The writing was on the wall for a looooong time.

You are right tho.. fear is what is driving this market but that's because there is plenty to be fearful of. That's not to say the depression starts tomorrow or that it will start at all. I have to believe that this is still a VERY strong country but trust is the main issue and the United States has gone to every length possible to destroy the trust of everyone out there. Thus we're seeing this 'credit' crisis. Credit = Trust.

I3rand0

I'm just curious, but does the short selling ban end Wednesday as in, you can start short selling on Wednesday or after Wednesday?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Wow. This is the nail in the coffin. This is worse than previous crashes; this is a fucking mess. All my stop limit orders did their work and I pulled out without facing any loss. Holy shit this is bad

mrWalrus

Banned
This thing is gonna hit new lows before the end of the day.

EDIT:
btw.. banning short selling is not helping this mess at all. If anything it's compounding the problem. I know that sounds counterintuitive but.. trust me, it is. We would have seen much stronger rallies on short covering in a market like today and that rally would have gone into the close.

FrankT

It was extended until the 17th that was until the bailout passed and now it is set to be lifted on Thursday (and the floods will come). Unless of course they extend it again, which at this rate I mean who knows.

I3rand0

Jtyettis said:
It was extended until the 17th that was until the bailout passed and now it is set to be lifted on Thursday (and the floods will come). Unless of course they extend it again, which at this rate I mean who knows.

Yeah but they said it would not be extended past the 17th. I'm guessing once the shorters come out on Thursday for the financials, they're going to put it back up fairly quickly.

E-phonk

Banned
Lost +/- 8000 euro over the weekend, since my governement decided to sell the bank I own stock in (Fortis) for the cheap to france. They sold all the assets, but the main holding (fortis group) still exists as an empty shell that only has some small insurance funds left.

The worst thing is: this is a bank that still made billions of euro profit every year, even their Q2 results weren't too bad considering.
They just got sold out because they couldn't get hold of any loans on the interbank market.

Damn shame. I saw people today who lost all their lifetime savings, 30.000-50.000 euro. It was the biggest company in our country and a LOT of families had stock in it since it was such a profitable and thrustworthy bank.

It's possible that by the end of the week a second big Belgian bank will face similar consequences (dexia).

mrWalrus

Banned
hmmmm.. so we keep on climbing into the close after all???

Almost smells like an emergency rate cut by the Fed. Capitalism at its finest!

Tamanon

Banned
mrWalrus said:
hmmmm.. so we keep on climbing into the close after all???

Almost smells like an emergency rate cut by the Fed. Capitalism at its finest!

Sounds like there's going to be an emergency rate cut by the entire G8.

mrWalrus

Banned
Tamanon said:
Sounds like there's going to be an emergency rate cut by the entire G8.

Europe needs to do it immediately and I think they meet this week anyway. The US doesn't and shouldn't cut rates. The value of the dollar is plenty low and 2.5% is already disgusting.

Tarazet

Well, I'm pretty happy.. sold my short positions when the stocks were at the session low, and then that late rally salvaged my long positions by the end, which should be further bolstered tomorrow. If I had panicked on Friday and sold everything I would be kicking myself.

mrWalrus

Banned
CharlieDigital said:
What's the general EconiGAF consensus on Ford?

Really?

ford.jpg

That's a 10 year chart.. does that look like the chart of a healthy stock? They don't even pay out dividends any more.

Stay away like the plague.

avaya

What I hated about today was the the relatively low volume.

I was hoping like Art Cashin, that we'd achieve capitulation today. Everything was selling even the defensives.

This rally at the end just signifies we might be in this sort of a shitty range for a couple of months.

Could be a good short term bottom for a Christmas Rally by the end of next week when options expire.

BTW Fed cut by 50bp is 100% prices in on the interest rate futures. 100bp is 60% priced in. Bear in mind that earlier this month they priced in 98% a 25bp cut and all booed on the trading floor when there was no change.

If we get a coordinated cut then things might start changing very very rapidly. ECB/BofE have a lot of leg room.

mrWalrus said:
Really?

That's a 10 year chart.. does that look like the chart of a healthy stock? They don't even pay out dividends any more.

Stay away like the plague.

They're doing well overseas and the next Focus will be a global release. The US will finally get the Eurospec focus just as the shift towards higher end small vehicles (compared to say a Kia) is in full swing.

I dunno...seems like they have a chance to rebound if all goes well.

mrWalrus

Banned
avaya said:
What I hated about today was the the relatively low volume.

I was hoping like Art Cashin, that we'd achieve capitulation today. Everything was selling even the defensives.

This rally at the end just signifies we might be in this sort of a shitty range for a couple of months.

Could be a good short term bottom for a Christmas Rally by the end of next week when options expire.

BTW Fed cut by 50bp is 100% prices in on the interest rate futures. 100bp is 60% priced in. Bear in mind that earlier this month they priced in 98% a 25bp cut and all booed on the trading floor when there was no change.

If we get a coordinated cut then things might start changing very very rapidly. ECB/BofE have a lot of leg room.

Sadly a rate cut still doesn't bring back the trust that banks have in one another. The books were cooked at all these firms and thus nobody knows who is going to be insolvent tomorrow . Everyone would serve themselves well to learn about 'Level 3 Assets' and their roll in this mess.

Kipe

CharlieDigital said:
They're doing well overseas and the next Focus will be a global release. The US will finally get the Eurospec focus just as the shift towards higher end small vehicles (compared to say a Kia) is in full swing.

Rebound when? This month and probably till the end of the year sales are going to be at the lowest this generation has ever seen for all car manufacturers.

mrWalrus

Banned
CharlieDigital said:

Okay. Good luck.

mrWalrus said:
Sadly a rate cut still doesn't bring back the trust that banks have in one another. The books were cooked at all these firms and thus nobody knows who is going to be insolvent tomorrow .
Plus do we really need a rate cut? It seems a bit bizarro to try to cure this mess with a rate cute when it was too much lending & borrowing that caused this mess to begin with.

A rate cut just seems like that old adage: When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Kipe said:
Rebound when? This month and probably till the end of the year sales are going to be at the lowest this generation has ever seen for all car manufacturers.
And still, hardly anyone will buy:
1) They are fearful for their own economic position so they are being cautious.
2) They can't get a decent loan even if they wanted to buy.
3) They are afraid of rising gas prices so they want to wait for the newer cars coming on the market that will get better gas mileage.

Things just become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Top Bottom