• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

lil smoke

Banned
eznark said:
out of curiosity, when did you hop on that bandwagon?
This round @ 52.97.

I'm always in and out of NTDOY, I like to trail it when it's fluctuating from 54 to 60. Looks like those times are over, this time I got caught with my hand in the ol' cookie jar.

gkryhewy

lil smoke said:
This round @ 52.97.

I'm always in and out of NTDOY, I like to trail it when it's fluctuating from 54 to 60. Looks like those times are over, this time I got caught with my hand in the ol' cookie jar.

I'm in the same boat - fortunately not too deep. We could head back to the low 50s sooner than you think - if not, cash-rich tech companies should turn out okay in the long run.

kathode

lil smoke said:
This round @ 52.97.

They have earnings on 10/30. I still think it's going to depend heavily on what kind of outlook they give though. I'm sorely tempted to get in, but I will probably abstain.

Didn't see this coming. US pending home sales up 7.4% in August.

Just reported, August pending home sales rose 7.4% month-over-month on a seasonally adjusted annual rate, compared to the expected decline of 1.3%. Pending home sales were down 2.7% in July. Pending sales are up 8.8% compared to last year. Pending home sales is released by the National Association of Realtors and is based on signed real estate contracts for existing single family homes, condos and co-ops.

August pending home sales jump 7.4 percent: NAR

Wednesday October 8, 10:05 am ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Pending sales of existing U.S. homes unexpectedly jumped in August to the highest level in over a year, data from a real estate trade group showed on Wednesday.

The National Association of Realtors Pending Home Sales Index, based on contracts signed in June, rose 7.4 percent in August to 93.4 from an upwardly revised index of 87.0 in July.

The August reading was 8.8 percent higher than a year earlier, and the highest level since 101.4 in June 2007.

Economists polled by Reuters ahead of the report were expecting pending home sales to drop by 1.8 percent.

The association's senior economist Lawrence Yun said home buyers responded to improved affordability, with home prices low and mortgage rates down after the government takeover of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

lil smoke

Banned
kathode said:
They have earnings on 10/30. I still think it's going to depend heavily on what kind of outlook they give though. I'm sorely tempted to get in, but I will probably abstain.
Yeah it's a tough call right now. I'm actually tempted to buy another set right now too to offset what I lost, but there is no guarantee they wont slip further. I thought 45 was extremely low, and look at today.

...However I don't forsee any huge jumps, until they start getting more into detail on their new ventures like the HD wii and that iPod killer. I would hate to be out of the game a few years from now when these things become reality, especially if they maintain the low price point philosophy, if that is even possible this time around.

eznark

Banned
gkrykewy said:
Not yet (in most places).

cheap(er). I guess a better phrase would have been enticingly priced. The market is correcting and there are a lot of opportunities to make money. Unless you own a condo.

lil smoke said:
Yeah it's a tough call right now. I'm actually tempted to buy another set right now too to offset what I lost, but there is no guarantee they wont slip further. I thought 45 was extremely low, and look at today.

...However I don't forsee any huge jumps, until they start getting more into detail on their new ventures like the HD wii and that iPod killer. I would hate to be out of the game a few years from now when these things become reality, especially if they maintain the low price point philosophy, if that is even possible this time around.
Besides news on Wii HD or anything like that, I think most analysts are underestimating how huge they're going to sell this holiday season. Demand is going to skyrocket for Wii and DS (and DSi is launching in Japan in November, right?) and they have ramped up production to (mostly) meet it.

The only unknown factor has to do with confidence in the market being so low that maybe even fantastic news might not push up the stock that much.

Battersea Power Station said:
Besides news on Wii HD or anything like that, I think most analysts are underestimating how huge they're going to sell this holiday season. Demand is going to skyrocket for Wii and DS (and DSi is launching in Japan in November, right?) and they have ramped up production to (mostly) meet it.

The only unknown factor has to do with confidence in the market being so low that maybe even fantastic news might not push up the stock that much.

Videogames and movies will the be single hottest commodity this Christmas... everything else is in danger.

kathode

Battersea Power Station said:

It's still outlook, outlook, outlook. Here are my comments in this thread after each of Nintendo's previous earnings reports going back to their January one this year:

After January earnings: Trading was halted on Nintendo stock today due to a 5,000 (9.62%) yen decline. This after a blowout quarter where they raised their sales forecast. It's worries over the yen and some profit-taking. You'll notice in their report they upped their sales guidance but left their profit guidance alone. This signifies they expect the yen to strengthen and eat into their profits. Reuters also claims that lots of institutional investors are cashing in what's left of their profits since everything else is tanking. Seems like these days if there's -any- way to cast -any- news around your company as negative, then your stock will tank.

After April earnings: Well once again Nintendo makes money hand over fist, but who cares right? Because all that really matters is that their forecast is off by about 3% from analyst expectations, so the stock falls. Sometimes I hate investors.

After July earnings: Yup, NTDOY is the same story as always - major profits, cautious outlook, everyone bails. Glad I sold out of there a while back.

Be very careful betting on their earnings!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Soka said:
Something isn't right with AHR. Dropping ~20% two days in a row? That's even under the shitty performance of the Financial market.

Not really surprising, I saw plenty of -20% or worst in the past few days.

EDIT: I think I'll see ABX if it reaches 40. Not sure for how long gold might rise moreso. Anyone has a comment on that?

lil smoke

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
EDIT: I think I'll see ABX if it reaches 40. Not sure for how long gold might rise moreso. Anyone has a comment on that?
You mean sell? I'm looking at +12%. I would have taken that and broke camp :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
lil smoke said:
You mean sell? I'm looking at +12%. I would have taken that and broke camp :lol

Yeah I meant sell. I bought at 29.50 or so. It's at 39 right now. Was past 40 a few weeks ago.

lil smoke said:
Actually if you had huge balls, you could make a lot of money with these swings.

Gah, all my investments are still down, but there are others slowly but surely creeping up. Some people must be making out like bandits.

Bail In!.gif

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Argh it almost reached 40 but hasn't so far, should have changed my sell to 39.50.

Argh

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
There we go, I changed it to 39.50 when the thing is probably gonna reach 40 anyway :lol

It passed, ABX sold.

Now I'm left with ATVI, everything else is a loser.

EDIT: Bastard did make it to 40! :lol

xero273

geez, we were doing so well for the last half of the day. Then the market decided to tank the last 10 minutes. Maybe we'll go under 9000 tomorrow.

lil smoke

Banned
Damn!!!! I just fucking blinked.... and shit tanked..

If nothing else, these times are a lesson that +200... -200 aint really shit. Can come and go in 30 seconds.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
gkrykewy said:
Day-traders took their profits. This means (to me) that large money movers are still not comfortable holding equities.

Yep, not surprised, it will remain difficult to maintain rallies until we get a lot of surprising positive data.

ABX closed at 40.20.

Top Bottom