• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STRANGER OF SWORD CITY |OT| - "We're going to need another Timmy"

Ha ha, as someone who got their ass succinctly kicked by Demon Gaze and Dungeon Travelers 2, I eagerly await getting buttfucked by this game.

And I dropped like 120 hours in DG and DT2 each.

Z3M0G

Ha ha, as someone who got their ass succinctly kicked by Demon Gaze and Dungeon Travelers 2, I eagerly await getting buttfucked by this game.

And I dropped like 120 hours in DG and DT2 each.

Googles DT2... checks Metacritic...

woah

Edit: and 50% off right now! And a demo!

Googles DT2... checks Metacritic...

woah

Edit: and 50% off right now! And a demo!

We can't talk much about it on GAF because it definitely has some problematic content but as far as gameplay and (though I'll be roasted for this) plot and characters go I thought it was excellent for gameplay and fun enough for plot. One of my fave Dungeon crawlers in a good while. Super solid gameplay.

DT2 I could see...but DG? How? :p

Two playthroughs.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
How many, do you know?

Not sure on that never seen any sort of formula. Usually just dragged one of the lower lv replacements out and went to an easier dungeon to gather more gear from hiding then would look each time i went back to town lol

The Vita LE box is so nice, but it would play better on XBO on the TV. But it's going to Steam in June...

Really? I think this type of game is perfect for a portable. It's also playable on Vita TV if you swing that way...

Not sure on that never seen any sort of formula. Usually just dragged one of the lower lv replacements out and went to an easier dungeon to gather more gear from hiding then would look each time i went back to town lol

Thanks. I'll see if I can figure out the exact number.

So question about Shadow Palace, holy weapon is what I use to do dmg to the enemies in there, right? Because unless my weapons just aren't good enough, I'm doing a whole 2-3 dmg even with HW up.

Also when is it suggested to start doing class changes? If I started on the classes I want in the end, should I go all the way to 30 with them before switching, or do I just go to the skill slot level?

TheYanger

I always worked off of 1 fight = 2 hours as well. I had a loop I would run when I wanted to recover people. I streamed it a month or so ago let me find it.

NM rip it's gone on twitch by now. In any case you can pass about 1.5 days in like 10-12 minute loops in the first zone. So a full revive is like an hour.

CrovaxPSO

Thanks. Ambushes don't seem to change the time frame, either.

Do ranged weapons do damage based off strength, or agility?

Strength. Agility affects hit, avoidance, turn order, and effectiveness of off-hand weapons.

So question about Shadow Palace, holy weapon is what I use to do dmg to the enemies in there, right? Because unless my weapons just aren't good enough, I'm doing a whole 2-3 dmg even with HW up.

Also when is it suggested to start doing class changes? If I started on the classes I want in the end, should I go all the way to 30 with them before switching, or do I just go to the skill slot level?

I think Magic Weapon is what you want to use for those enemies.

Parakeetman

you need the wiz skill of magic weapon.

clerics holy weapon is for undead stuff

people

Right, back to rolling my initial party. This game caught me at a bad time, I'm especially easily distracted lately.

Speaking of party members, how useful are the pre-made Guild members?

Dorarnae

Right, back to rolling my initial party. This game caught me at a bad time, I'm especially easily distracted lately.

Speaking of party members, how useful are the pre-made Guild members?

they're meh. You're often better creating your own in these game.

Parakeetman

Which makes perfect sense, if you consider AGI to include manual dexterity. But having strength be the main determinant in how much damage a bow does is kinda dumb.

Not really, as honestly have you ever used a real bow? Since the more powerful ones you need pretty insane arm / shoulder strength to pull. This is talking about straight up hunting bows / longbows with none of that fancy pulley shit lol.

Growing up did a lot of archery and such so can attest that most def strength is necessary if you want to use more powerful bows.

Was trying to find you something a bit more useful for reference, but just make do with this. Dude doing the narration is doing a bit too much of a show so to speak lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CULmGfvYlso

Prefer this video a lot more narrator / shooter is fantastic. Didnt want to use it as an example as he does not go into what the draw-weight is on the bow he is using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvKJcxa8x_g

Parakeetman

What does everyone think of the game so far?

Read these.

Done by someone who never was into the genre regardless of how much they tried.
http://www.destructoid.com/review-stranger-of-sword-city-354358.phtml

These guys gave Demon Gaze and Operation Abyss scores around the 50s I think it was.
http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Stranger_of_Sword_City/index.html

Took me a while to read this, but its pretty well done.
http://diehardgamefan.com/2016/04/13/review-stranger-of-sword-city-sony-playstation-vita/

If you go reading through the rest of the stuff at metacritic its fairly fair for the most part.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-vita/stranger-of-sword-city

I'd like to get it, but from what I gather. through video reviews and impressions. It's Soul's difficult, maybe even harder. It has a very punishing difficulty, but is a good game if you can deal with the many deaths of your party members.

Cant really compare it to "souls" considering its a totally different genre. This game is not for those who want a "casual" experience or are the types who just rush through games / do not use the grey mass between their ears. Its basically going back slightly to the more traditional designs with things while adding in few new additions. Honestly the Elminage series is harder than this game just due to how much more punishing that game is in both dungeon and encounter designs. Not to mention getting equipment is a lot harder than this title, where loot farming isnt all that bad.

People who worry about losing their characters, simple solution is to not make 1 LP characters. As you are able to take them back to the base to recover after X amount of time which is measured in how many battles you go through. No idea what the conversion rate is. Spare characters on standby at the base gain exp and small amount of $$$ while you are away so they will be lower than your frontliners, but not useless. New characters will be created but will get a lv bonus which depends on the lv of the MC. So its not as if you will get stuck with lv 1 characters, though you will have to decide how you will want to distribute all of those points after once said character is created.

Z3M0G

We can't talk much about it on GAF because it definitely has some problematic content but as far as gameplay and (though I'll be roasted for this) plot and characters go I thought it was excellent for gameplay and fun enough for plot. One of my fave Dungeon crawlers in a good while. Super solid gameplay.

Woah... just noticed the game is banned on GAF... and this is after I purchased it yesterday. I found the mod post explaining why, now I feel kinda dirty for spending money on it. Oh well.

Parakeetman

Woah... just noticed the game is banned on GAF... and this is after I purchased it yesterday. I found the mod post explaining why, now I feel kinda dirty for spending money on it. Oh well.

Its a fairly solid dungeon crawler. On top of having one of the most complex and interesting class change system.
Bosses put up a good fight too. Even more so if you are crazy enough to do the end game dungeons.
You will most def get your $$$ worth as long as you dont care about the fanservice overtones. But the characters and voice work are so great am sure you will find them amusing.

While the thread is locked you can still browse through the thread to find info in it. And watch Perorist's spiral into madness as he attempts the end game content.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=901532

----------

In other news updated this

Ol4xpU3.png

1st Playthrough Max Stats = Starting racial stats value + 20
2nd Playthrough Max Stats = Starting racial stats value + 30
*Value doesnt change after that for the 3rd, 4th and 5th playthrough if you even bother to do them.

In regards to age general breakdown
10~19 Years:Max LP 3、Lowest Bonus Pts 3
20~39 Years:Max LP 2、Lowest Bonus Pts 5
40~59 Years:Max LP 2、Lowest Bonus Pts 7
60~99 Years:Max LP 1、Lowest Bonus Pts 10

With the 2nd Playthrough Max Stats info.

Not really, as honestly have you ever used a real bow? Since the more powerful ones you need pretty insane arm / shoulder strength to pull. This is talking about straight up hunting bows / longbows with none of that fancy pulley shit lol.

Growing up did a lot of archery and such so can attest that most def strength is necessary if you want to use more powerful bows.

Was trying to find you something a bit more useful for reference, but just make do with this. Dude doing the narration is doing a bit too much of a show so to speak lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CULmGfvYlso

Prefer this video a lot more narrator / shooter is fantastic. Didnt want to use it as an example as he does not go into what the draw-weight is on the bow he is using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvKJcxa8x_g

Sure, I get that, but you're talking about a fixed amount of strength necessary to pull the bowstring. Becoming stronger than that isn't going to make your arrow hit harder. That's why D&D always used Dexterity as the damage base for ranged weapons; hitting your target accurately meant more to how effective your attack would be.

Incidentally, is it possible to change your party order while in a battle?

Parakeetman

Sure, I get that, but you're talking about a fixed amount of strength necessary to pull the bowstring. Becoming stronger than that isn't going to make your arrow hit harder. That's why D&D always used Dexterity as the damage base for ranged weapons; hitting your target accurately meant more to how effective your attack would be.

Incidentally, is it possible to change your party order while in a battle?

Since we dont have a dex stat which a lot of games dont anymore, still is the second best thing.

Unfortunately cant change order in battle outside of putting order back in order with the whistle ball? For when the asshole enemies reverse your rows.

Those are limited though in the shop, but chances of using the whole stock is fairly slim lol

Btw back to the dexterity thing, in real life I consider that the necessary skill for properly stringing a bow and not almost blinding yourself when it comes loose and whips you across the eye. Good times that was. Made me think shit like doom with the screen turning red was real. As I literally was seeing red out of that eye for a while after that happened.

Since we dont have a dex stat which a lot of games dont anymore, still is the second best thing.

I could see it as an extension of general agility, which is why I initially put most of my ranger's points into that.

Unfortunately cant change order in battle outside of putting order back in order with the whistle ball? For when the asshole enemies reverse your rows.

Those are limited though in the shop, but chances of using the whole stock is fairly slim lol

I got stuck in a battle that took like 10 minutes, against an enemy that swapped my back row characters up, buffed its agility so I couldn't hit it, then kept casting cure to stay alive until I ran out of spell points and attack items. I somehow won without anyone dying, but it was a pretty absurd situation having my samurai sit in the back and watch while my wizard uselessly flailed away.

Btw back to the dexterity thing, in real life I consider that the necessary skill for properly stringing a bow and not almost blinding yourself when it comes loose and whips you across the eye. Good times that was. Made me think shit like doom with the screen turning red was real. As I literally was seeing red out of that eye for a while after that happened.

Ouch.

Parakeetman

I could see it as an extension of general agility, which is why I initially put most of my ranger's points into that.

I got stuck in a battle that took like 10 minutes, against an enemy that swapped my back row characters up, buffed its agility so I couldn't hit it, then kept casting cure to stay alive until I ran out of spell points and attack items. I somehow won without anyone dying, but it was a pretty absurd situation having my samurai sit in the back and watch while my wizard uselessly flailed away.

Ouch.

Yeah I dont recall there being a skill like demon gaze with whistle that would fix your party order without the use of an item.

Dont worry too much about the STR anyways at start. Being able to hit stuff is far more important. Like for example my own rangers their STR isnt super high. Since my equipment more than makes up for it and thanks to their insane AGI they are pretty well off accuracy / turn and dodging wise.

To do garbage damage regardless but still "kinda" useful is having that dancers ability to use multiple items. Since in the worst case scenario if you have no whistle ball things you can have your former front row just use all of the attack items they can with the dancers multiple item use skill lol Ive done that a few times with hilarious results.

Am not sure if this game INT effects attack item efficiency / PIE healing item efficiency. As in demon gaze it did with INT / WIS. Does not seem like it though as the wiki does not directly mention those two. Although LUC seems to effect items like explosive powder? and other non-elemental related attack items.

I'd like to get it, but from what I gather. through video reviews and impressions. It's Soul's difficult, maybe even harder. It has a very punishing difficulty, but is a good game if you can deal with the many deaths of your party members.

It's not really equivalent to the difficulty in Souls...maybe more like Fire Emblem, with the permadeath? So far it seems if you encounter a tough part, you can always get through it by being methodical, levelling up and employing strategy. It's not like Souls where you have to bang your head against the same rock for 5 hours until you figure out the boss' pattern and manage to luck your way through without getting killed.

kromeo

LE arrived today but I've still got unopened copies of Demon gaze, Dungeon travellers 2, Etrian Oddessy untold 2... Not sure which one to start with

Parakeetman

LE arrived today but I've still got unopened copies of Demon gaze, Dungeon travellers 2, Etrian Oddessy untold 2... Not sure which one to start with

lol roll a dice. since dont think they make 4 sided coins.

A simple breakdown of the 2 types the 4 games belong to is

Level based skill unlocks to characters = Demon Gaze / Stranger of Sword City

Skill point allocation based unlocks for characters = Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 / Dungeon Travelers 2

Insane amount that can be spent in game = Dungeon Travelers 2 due to the crazy end game contents, which is made literally for only fanatics of the series.

autoduelist

If I like my games hardcore [I've transcended in Nethack w/o scum saving] is there a reason to not make all 1 Life Point characters? That is, is the game basically designed around the occasional death, and so doing that is just plan stupid?

It sounds like if you have 2 lp, and die in battle, you are set to 1 LP... but you get back to 2 lp over time? But if you have 1 lp, and die in battle, it's perma. Correct? So based on that, 2 lp allows you to go a little deeper in the dungeon per visit.

Is there an easy way to get out of a dungeon? Like, if all my characters are near death, is there a exit dungeon spell/item? Or would I never make it back out alive?

I reallllllly want to make a go with a 1lp party since I like max'ing stats and don't mind it being hard.... but I just don't want to punch myself in the face either if that's just impossible due to lots of enemies having 1 hit kills, etc.

If 2 lp characters that get killed go to 1 and never go back to 2, I'll just make 1 lp characters because the ocd in me would never let me have a 2 lp character go to 1. But if they heal back to 2 over time, I'd consider having 2 lp chars.

Saphirax

If I like my games hardcore [I've transcended in Nethack w/o scum saving] is there a reason to not make all 1 Life Point characters? That is, is the game basically designed around the occasional death, and so doing that is just plan stupid?

It sounds like if you have 2 lp, and die in battle, you are set to 1 LP... but you get back to 2 lp over time? But if you have 1 lp, and die in battle, it's perma. Correct? So based on that, 2 lp allows you to go a little deeper in the dungeon per visit.

Is there an easy way to get out of a dungeon? Like, if all my characters are near death, is there a exit dungeon spell/item? Or would I never make it back out alive?

I reallllllly want to make a go with a 1lp party since I like max'ing stats and don't mind it being hard.... but I just don't want to punch myself in the face either if that's just impossible due to lots of enemies having 1 hit kills, etc.

If 2 lp characters that get killed go to 1 and never go back to 2, I'll just make 1 lp characters because the ocd in me would never let me have a 2 lp character go to 1. But if they heal back to 2 over time, I'd consider having 2 lp chars.

You can restore LP at the base. It'll take a few days though. Sometimes you can find a butterfly nest in a dungeon. If you choose not to fight them they offer a one time teleport out of the dungeon.

No return spell, only items which are rare.

hawk2025

I'm 5 hours in, and struck by a crippling fear of progressing... anywhere!

The Frozen Forest seems reasonable enough to make some progress in, but I'm moving deep into Orc Village territory with no shortcuts unlocked, no other exits found, and I just end up doubling back and getting the hell out of there. I just know I can't handle whatever Lineage Types I may run into.

The Mecha... something something (the first dungeon) still has a Lineage Type I haven't found and an area behind a locked door I can't figure out.

I've made a few steps into the area that looks a bit like a hall of mirrors/castle, and was warned that some paths might close behind you. Noped out of there for now.

Went into what appears to be a thieves' village, and barely scraped by on the first event battle. Noped out of there as well, and back to the Frozen Forest.

Crippling.
Fear.

I found far too many seemingly out-of-nowhere one or two hit kills to bother with 1lp characters, ever, even only a few hours in. The only scenario where I would do that is if I was willing to simply load the game if one of my characters ever died.

Your character doesn't heal back to 2lp over time automatically. First, you need to revive a character that has lost one LP in battle. After that, you need to leave him in the base for an additional period of time to actually recover the LP point.

You will most def get your $$$ worth as long as you dont care about the fanservice overtones.

How much fanservice are we talking about? I really enjoyed playing Demon Gaze, but quit playing due to all the fanservice. I've been considering whether or not to buy Stranger. It looks like something I'd really enjoy playing, and I've always loved a good dungeon crawler, but too much fanservice just destroys the experience for me. Would you say that there is more or less fs compared to DG?

Ephidel

How much fanservice are we talking about? I really enjoyed playing Demon Gaze, but quit playing due to all the fanservice. I've been considering whether or not to buy Stranger. It looks like something I'd really enjoy playing, and I've always loved a good dungeon crawler, but too much fanservice just destroys the experience for me. Would you say that there is more or less fs compared to DG?
That comment was about DT2, not Stranger.

I haven't played Stranger yet, but as far as I'm aware it's not an issue here. At the very least, I haven't seen anyone mentioning it in reviews or anything.

And this is such a dumb question but I just can't help myself.
You're dual wielding shields. Can Knights do that naturally, or is that from reclassing?

CrovaxPSO

I'm 5 hours in, and struck by a crippling fear of progressing... anywhere!

The Frozen Forest seems reasonable enough to make some progress in, but I'm moving deep into Orc Village territory with no shortcuts unlocked, no other exits found, and I just end up doubling back and getting the hell out of there. I just know I can't handle whatever Lineage Types I may run into.

The Mecha... something something (the first dungeon) still has a Lineage Type I haven't found and an area behind a locked door I can't figure out.

I've made a few steps into the area that looks a bit like a hall of mirrors/castle, and was warned that some paths might close behind you. Noped out of there for now.

Went into what appears to be a thieves' village, and barely scraped by on the first event battle. Noped out of there as well, and back to the Frozen Forest.

Crippling.
Fear.

Each of the three dungeons after the first one can really be tackled in any order. I always go to the Slums first because past that first scripted battle, it's really not bad at all. There are some tough enemies (the big flying bugs) but I just run from them until I've leveled up more. The ambush points there specifically are pretty easy because often you can get just a single knight and mage enemy that are easily taken down.

autoduelist

You can restore LP at the base. It'll take a few days though. Sometimes you can find a butterfly nest in a dungeon. If you choose not to fight them they offer a one time teleport out of the dungeon.

No return spell, only items which are rare.

I found far too many seemingly out-of-nowhere one or two hit kills to bother with 1lp characters, ever, even only a few hours in. The only scenario where I would do that is if I was willing to simply load the game if one of my characters ever died.

Your character doesn't heal back to 2lp over time automatically. First, you need to revive a character that has lost one LP in battle. After that, you need to leave him in the base for an additional period of time to actually recover the LP point.

Ok, so if I understand correctly:

If I had a 1 LP party, and someone falls in battle, they're dead forever and I'd be screwed. Either lose the character, start a new one [or have one accruing some exp in my base, but definitely losing levels], or scum save.

If I had a 2 LP party, and someone falls in battle, I now have to -fight- my way out of the dungeon with only 5 characters. If I manage to survive that, then my injured character would have to be taken out of rotation for an amount of time for them to recover back to 2 LP. During that time i'd be using a scrub.

2 LP party sounds more fun in terms of forcing me to interchange various party members, etc. I think. Does regaining the 1 lp take forever in game time, or is it relatively painless?

hawk2025

Each of the three dungeons after the first one can really be tackled in any order. I always go to the Slums first because past that first scripted battle, it's really not bad at all. There are some tough enemies (the big flying bugs) but I just run from them until I've leveled up more. The ambush points there specifically are pretty easy because often you can get just a single knight and mage enemy that are easily taken down.

Awesome, I'll go back to the Slums then!

Ok, so if I understand correctly:

If I had a 1 LP party, and someone falls in battle, they're dead forever and I'd be screwed. Either lose the character, start a new one [or have one accruing some exp in my base, but definitely losing levels], or scum save.

If I had a 2 LP party, and someone falls in battle, I now have to -fight- my way out of the dungeon with only 5 characters. If I manage to survive that, then my injured character would have to be taken out of rotation for an amount of time for them to recover back to 2 LP. During that time i'd be using a scrub.

2 LP party sounds more fun in terms of forcing me to interchange various party members, etc. I think. Does regaining the 1 lp take forever in game time, or is it relatively painless?

There is also a skill you get as one of the first things in the game that lets you escape battles that are not events with 100% certainty. So if you lose a character and are backtracking, I recommend keeping some Morale around so you can escape any battle that happens to have a lot of enemies and/or high-levelled ones. It's part of the game risk/reward to use your morale as you make your way through the dungeon, while still saving enough to make sure you can escape if needed.

Top Bottom