• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STRANGER OF SWORD CITY |OT| - "We're going to need another Timmy"

Dorarnae

Not a surprise since the English and Japanese Operation Abyss LEs are the same size, but this SoSC LE is the same size as the JP Abyss and Babel limited editions as well. Glad this is finally out here since I've been holding off on another playthrough. Now to platinum it again.

wahh, everyone gets their copy before me ;,,( lol.
you're going to do a 1lp migmy playthrough? :D

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Are there any major differences in IQ or otherwise between the XBO and Vita versions?

portrait image quality for the most part, but asides from that the dungeons still look the same. other small diff is the bosses that appear at certain points in the game.

My LE from Amazon came in a gigantic box, with lots of paper cushioning and air bubbles, and arrived in perfect condition. :)

Game works with PSTV, right?

IMO, Ray Gigant's story makes up for the game being easy. That's just me though.

Hmm Ray Gigant has more of a story than SoSC right? I honestly don't know if story alone could carry a game that I find boring. Unless there was a ton of good story, because if not I feel like personally the gameplay would get in the way of it.

all easy does is slightly lower the levels of the enemies game will still put up a fight later on.

at least you have the feeling of progression with raising your characters and loot finding fun unlike ray gigant which has none of that.

Grinding is a weird term for how you go about getting experience in this game (or at least, for how I did it). I spent a good amount of time at the ambush points to get better equipment. Gaining experience and leveling up was more of a side effect. Yeah, it's still grinding, but in a way you can pick and choose your battles while narrowing down the type of equipment you get in loot. Almost none of my time was spent just running around the dungeons for the sole purpose of getting into encounters.

I see, I am a big fan of loot so you kind of got my attention here. I'm really afraid of that difficulty though, specially knowing that there is permadeath behind everything too. I could totally see myself stop playing due to it.

Parakeetman

Hmm Ray Gigant has more of a story than SoSC right? I honestly don't know if story alone could carry a game that I find boring. Unless there was a ton of good story, because if not I feel like personally the gameplay would get in the way of it.

I see, I am a big fan of loot so you kind of got my attention here. I'm really afraid of that difficulty though, specially knowing that there is permadeath behind everything too. I could totally see myself stop playing due to it.

just dont go making characters with 1 lp problem solved lol.

Kazer

I just spent way too long trying to get a good stat roll on a new ranger. >_>

Really digging the soundtrack and the game overall so far.

Shizuka

? if you have a balanced party and you're like lvl 30, you should be able to beat the final boss. make sure to use buff/debuff with divinity skill....

I know, but I must be making a huge oversight, because I just can't seem to do it. Here's my party:

hCPl8U2.jpg

KnSY4Yw.jpg

V1vwLcO.jpg

lYPXyyG.jpg

cQeXxoZ.jpg

o1cB2rL.jpg

good luck man lol most of the info and whatnots are all here so you should be fine

Yeah gonna have a look through it, specially because of those LP points. Also, from what I understand characters that you don't play with level up alongside the protagonist even outside of battle right? So I should just make as many characters as I can?

Are there other difficulty levels? I think this is my first true Dungeon crawler. xD

If you are looking for a good introduction to what "true" DRPGs are on the Vita, I'd say try Demon Gaze first. This one scares even me and it's not my first lol.

Parakeetman

Are there other difficulty levels? I think this is my first true Dungeon crawler. xD

beginner and normal diff is enemy levels. if its your first time go beginner

game will still be difficult at the start but will get better once skills and equipment fill out.

this game buffs and debuffs are really important so dont skip out on using those.

Dorarnae

Which classes do you suggest I change them to?

I just checked your gear, isn't that gear a bit low? have you farmed the final dungeon ambush point?

seeing your stat, I'd change fighter to samurai and your samurai to fighter.
back row should be fine(as long as you have that divinity that prevent physical attack for back row).

Shizuka

I just checked your gear, isn't that gear a bit low? have you farmed the final dungeon ambush point?

seeing your stat, I'd change fighter to samurai and your samurai to fighter.
back row should be fine(as long as you have that divinity that prevent physical attack for back row).

The latest point I can farm is the Mausoleum of Storms, past that are the three dungeons and the final boss. I've farmed all I could there, but I can't get better stuff.

Oh wow, good luck. There is Normal and Easy, but Easy is not easy.

If you are looking for a good introduction to what "true" DRPGs are on the Vita, I'd say try Demon Gaze first. This one scares even me and it's not my first lol.

beginner and normal diff is enemy levels. if its your first time go beginner

game will still be difficult at the start but will get better once skills and equipment fill out.

this game buffs and debuffs are really important so dont skip out on using those.

Ha, thanks fellas! Will definitely start on Easy/Beginner. I just couldn't resist this beautiful art, and something new for the Vita is always a good thing <3

ZtGtUj1.png

(it took a while)

Holy shit, I can't even imagine how long it took to get that, lol. I mean, I was rolling a 3LP Migmy last night. Trying to get ABOVE the minimum 3 bonus points is already an achievement . During the time, I accidentally skipped past an 8. TWICE. Vita nearly went into the wall :p

(general note for you all - if you get a roll that is +4 or more than the minimum, it's considered A GOOD ROLL)

As for difficulty, so far its really only the opening area, Mausoleum of Steel, that tries to screw you over by sicking level 20 monsters on your poor newbie party. I think the main idea here is to teach you to observe your enemy levels, and make use of the flash escape you learned beforehand.

After that the battles are much more balanced. Challenging at times, but balanced. I'm mostly done with the three initial dungeons.

Parakeetman

Holy shit, I can't even imagine how long it took to get that, lol. I mean, I was rolling a 3LP Migmy last night. Trying to get ABOVE the minimum 3 bonus points is already an achievement . During the time, I accidentally skipped past an 8. TWICE. Vita nearly went into the wall :p

(general note for you all - if you get a roll that is +4 or more than the minimum, it's considered A GOOD ROLL)

As for difficulty, so far its really only the opening area, Mausoleum of Steel, that tries to screw you over by sicking level 20 monsters on your poor newbie party. I think the main idea here is to teach you to observe your enemy levels, and make use of the flash escape you learned beforehand.

After that the battles are much more balanced. Challenging at times, but balanced. I'm mostly done with the three initial dungeons.

Oh dont worry you are not even into the crazy shit yet lol.

But yeah most def the starting 3 dungeons are the warmups.

It's kind of disappointing if the game is really that tough. When I was a kid I relished the challenge of repeatedly slamming my head against Ninja Gaiden's brick wall. But as an adult? Punishingly hard games just feel like they're designed to waste my time, forcing me to redo the same content over & over.

I might still check it out, the art is really cool and I get in the mood for one of these games every once in a while, but I may wait until it's on sale.

Nevermind. Watching youtubers play it, the art got to me, it's just too good. Downloading now. I've played plenty of dungeon crawlers...The Dark Spire, Wizardry, Dungeon Master, old school Shin Megami Tensei & Persona...I always get stuck and quit on them. Always.

Let's see how I do here.

Parakeetman

Nevermind. Watching youtubers play it, the art got to me, it's just too good. Downloading now. I've played plenty of dungeon crawlers...The Dark Spire, Wizardry, Dungeon Master, old school Shin Megami Tensei & Persona...I always get stuck and quit on them. Always.

Let's see how I do here.

Early on things will feel rough till you start filling out your skills by leveling up and getting better equipment. Though keep in mind that if you try to rush in this game it will slow you down by force lol. With that being said be ready for a slow burn with the title.

Read up on the post I did bout the stats and allocation as will help save you time and headaches

Early on things will feel rough till you start filling out your skills by leveling up and getting better equipment. Though keep in mind that if you try to rush in this game it will slow you down by force lol. With that being said be ready for a slow burn with the title.

Read up on the post I did bout the stats and allocation as will help save you time and headaches

I grew up on old school 8-bit JRPGs like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy before the elaborate cutscenes, so I'm familiar with the notion of "level up and don't leave this area until you're good and ready or you will die." Whether I follow through with finishing it is going to depend entirely on how good the combat is, since that seems to be 90% of the game.

Parakeetman

I grew up on old school 8-bit JRPGs like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy before the elaborate cutscenes, so I'm familiar with the notion of "level up and don't leave this area until you're good and ready or you will die." Whether I follow through with finishing it is going to depend entirely on how good the combat is, since that seems to be 90% of the game.

Yeah the combat will pick up once you start to open up the skills though as a simple explanation of the basics is that the game is very dependant on buffs and debuffs to survive.

Thankfully game shows what the lv reqs for skills are in the stats screen so that helps plan things out. To make even further efficient killing machines the time invested into class changing can make a fairly big difference. But the time investment is big too due to lv being cut in half each time which can lead to burnout.

Parakeetman

then normal is what? XD

Normal is just higher level enemies. its not that bad as those who are not as familiar with the game make it as long as you know what you are doing with classes and are properly equipped.

If you are new to the game just start on beginner.

This game the larger the gap between you and the monsters are things like 1hks will proc more.

Also exp and $$$ gain is slightly different due to when enemies are higher lv they give more exp and $$$ (when they do drop it that is)

This was a lot more noticeable in the JP version with the enemy lv up item so basically made the game into hard mode right from the start. Talk about an asskicking good time that was oh man. lol

Ephidel

I want to play but it's not going to happen.
What's that Amazon? You haven't even sent it yet but you still think it will arrive today? Of course it will Amazon, of course it will.
:(

To be fair, I should know better by now. Ordering the US versions they list always fails for me (and, of course, the games I don't order are the ones they actually do end up stocking, not the ones I do) but I was still hoping.
... I'm so tempted to just buy it digitally instead :|

Saphirax

I want to play but it's not going to happen.

What's that Amazon? You haven't even sent it yet but you still think it will arrive today? Of course it will Amazon, of course it will.
:(

To be fair, I should know better by now. Ordering the US versions they list always fails for me (and, of course, the games I don't order are the ones they actually do end up stocking, not the ones I do) but I was still hoping.
... I'm so tempted to just buy it digitally instead :|

I'm still waiting for shopto to dispatch mine. I want it day 1, but we've no idea when the digital version will go up on EU psn :/.

Z3M0G

What are the most appealing aspects of this game? And what makes it stand out from others in the genre? The art is amazing, but I'm not a fan of the UI and it sounds very hard core...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pb2XvyBr3g

Skimming through this seems to have given me a good idea of what the game is all about, except I didn't get a good impression of how satisfying the dungeon exploration is.

Unchained Blades was fantastic until I hit a difficulty spike boss... Etrian Oddysey (or whatever) bored me pretty quickly. Yet I find myself playing almost every game in this genre that comes around...

Severed is different, more Metroidvania than dungeon crawl, but unique and quite fascinating!

There is a 3rd one coming to Vita this month too, right?

Parakeetman

What are the most appealing aspects of this game? And what makes it stand out from others in the genre? The art is amazing, but I'm not a fan of the UI and it sounds very hard core...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pb2XvyBr3g

Skimming through this seems to have given me a good idea of what the game is all about, except I didn't get a good impression of how satisfying the dungeon exploration is.

Unchained Blades was fantastic until I hit a difficulty spike boss... Etrian Oddysey (or whatever) bored me pretty quickly. Yet I find myself playing almost every game in this genre that comes around...

Severed is different, more Metroidvania than dungeon crawl, but unique and quite fascinating!

There is a 3rd one coming to Vita this month too, right?

Basically this game was designed for the hardcore audience. That and the dungeons are designed to fuck with the players to a certain extent.

The main thing that had this stand out was bringing back permadeath of characters. But that generally only really happens if you create a character with just 1 LP. So thats basically your fault for doing that lol. You can have up to a maximum of 3 Life Points. So once someone gets killed you lose a LP but you can head back to the base to get them rested up over X amount of time to recover that LP back. So in the mean time you use other characters.

Outside of that its still a lot of the same formula for Exp Inc designed games. The Ambush system is a combination of the system used in Students of Round (trap system) and Demon Gaze (in the sense that you can see what items you might get / make a decision bout what to try and go for)

Elven_Star

Is there some kind of guide I can use? You know, something like the ones we get for Soulborne games. I like the art, but I'm not sure if I'm OK with the difficulty. Just don't wanna waste a lot of time and quit the game later.

Parakeetman

Is there some kind of guide I can use? You know, something like the ones we get for Soulborne games. I like the art, but I'm not sure if I'm OK with the difficulty. Just don't wanna waste a lot of time and quit the game later.

You will have to spend a bunch of time regardless as even if there was a "guide" you still need to put the time and effort into learning the game and leveling your characters.

Since this is most def not one of those games which you will be able to go and rush through even with a FAQ.

Never seen any sort of english guide before. Though folks have used the JP wiki + google translate.

http://www.spoiler.jp/srv/tsurugi/

Parakeetman

Jeebus whats with all the gear at + 18 and such

How does the gear upgrades work?

The Lv of your MC determines the + stats on items.

So as your MC levels up items will also go up.

For rare items, to "reroll" the + value on it, you need to feed it to the mumic then just pray to the RNG gods lol

Top Bottom