• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STRANGER OF SWORD CITY |OT| - "We're going to need another Timmy"

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This looks like what a fan of Etrian Oddysey and Class of Heroes like me has been waiting for. Does it hit those same highs at all? It looks so slick.

Gammacide

Just got a new Vita and am seriously considering this as my first big investment (in both time and money). Does anyone know if it's as relentlessly hard as Wizardry and the like? I want a challenge but not brick walls, you know?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Just got a new Vita and am seriously considering this as my first big investment (in both time and money). Does anyone know if it's as relentlessly hard as Wizardry and the like? I want a challenge but not brick walls, you know?

The Elminage series is harder than this honestly.

As mentioned before if you worry about permadeath just do not make 1 LP characters. Game will challenge you, but for the most part folks should be fine as long as they pay attention to what they are doing.

autoduelist

Finally got a chance to actually play. The training area 'lineage' enemy one shot my dude, and the helper char was already poisoned from the previous battle and got killed next turn.

That was a 14 roll (base 7 due to age, +7 for 14 total). Now I'm on roll 1200 or so and have only seen one +12. I know I don't -need- to roll a 14 again, but it's hard to restart with a 'lesser' main character.

dang it.

I mentioned before, but +3/+4 seems to be set to 4-5% of rolls. +5/+6 (so 12/13 for a base 7 char) is maybe 0.5%... I'd say i see one of those every 200 rolls, maybe even 300 rolls. I've only seen three +7s in several thousand rolls (first i rolled past on purpose, second I accidentally clicked through, third i kept and died stupidly above).

I hate this. I love love love drpgs but have never, ever been a fan of the random stat roll.

Finally got a chance to actually play. The training area 'lineage' enemy one shot my dude, and the helper char was already poisoned from the previous battle and got killed next turn.

That was a 14 roll (base 7 due to age, +7 for 14 total). Now I'm on roll 1200 or so and have only seen one +12. I know I don't -need- to roll a 14 again, but it's hard to restart with a 'lesser' main character.

dang it.

I mentioned before, but +3/+4 seems to be set to 4-5% of rolls. +5/+6 (so 12/13 for a base 7 char) is maybe 0.5%... I'd say i see one of those every 200 rolls, maybe even 300 rolls. I've only seen three +7s in several thousand rolls (first i rolled past on purpose, second I accidentally clicked through, third i kept and died stupidly above).

I hate this. I love love love drpgs but have never, ever been a fan of the random stat roll.

Unless min/maxing is specifically what you're into this for, there's no need to be so OCD about things. I got one-shotted in both of the first two fights as well, it was just bad luck that your NPC couldn't take them single-handedly. All of my rolls were in the 6-8 range, and while I can't speak to end game, so far taking things slow and keeping my level high has been enough to see me through.

I can tell this game is going to be difficult already. Some early questions (i'm only a couple of hours in):

- What's the easiest way to earn cash? Seems to be sparse.
- Best starting party? I'm currently using Knight x 2, Fighter, Cleric, Wizard and Ranger.
- Any other tips and tricks i should know?

Parakeetman

I can tell this game is going to be difficult already. Some early questions (i'm only a couple of hours in):

- Best starting party? I'm currently using Knight x 2, Fighter, Cleric, Wizard and Ranger.

There is no easy way to earn cash really, its just selling whatever extra junk you have from ambushing. So just keep hitting up those ambush points and sell whatever you dont need. Exp, Gear and Cash all in one go.

There is no real "best" starting party as it depends if you know how to use the classes or not. Though the "basic" starting party in Exp Inc games are generally

Fighter, Knight, Samurai
Cleric, Wizard, (Dancer / Ninja / Ranger or another CLE / WIZ if you really want one)

Basic info on Class Changing.

• Your level will be halved after Class Changing.
  • You only can Class Change up to 5 times per character on a playthrough.
  • Get a Job to at least Lv 13 before Class Changing so you get the Skill Token (Additional Skill Slot to equip other learned class skills)
  • Class Changed characters get a bonus to their HP and MP so will have more HP / MP than a character who has not Class Changed at the same level / stats.
  • It costs $$$ to Class Change. I forget if the cost increases based on the characters level at the change or the # of times they changed. Think? It was level based.
  • You do not need to Class Change to beat the game. It is perfectly fine having a non Class Changed party. Though having characters who have Class Changed can make things easier.

Purpose on Class Changing is to learn skills from other classes which can be equipped in your skill slots. Like having a Cleric with Wizard spells, Fighter with Ninja Skills etc. You can check your skills / descriptions and level reqs at any time on the Mastery screen? I think, if thats not it am sure you will be able to find it on your own.

Giant wall of text, but stuff you should know in regards to what kind of options are available with Class Changing.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202184003&postcount=518

When making characters keep all of this in mind, also that if you are new to the genre, you will want to make characters that have at least 2 Life Points. The lower amount of starting bonus points doesnt really matter too much as you can make up for that with equipment and the spell buffs in game.

Ol4xpU3.png

1st Playthrough Max Stats = Starting racial stats value + 20
2nd Playthrough Max Stats = Starting racial stats value + 30
*Value doesnt change after that for the 3rd, 4th and 5th playthrough if you even bother to do them.

In regards to age general breakdown
10~19 Years:Max LP 3、Lowest Bonus Pts 3
20~39 Years:Max LP 2、Lowest Bonus Pts 5
40~59 Years:Max LP 2、Lowest Bonus Pts 7
60~99 Years:Max LP 1、Lowest Bonus Pts 10

STR - Attack damage (this is for all weapon types including bows)
INT - Mage spell damage / effectiveness + max MP
PIE - Cleric spell effectiveness + max MP
VIT - Defense and HP gain
AGI - Effects turn in combat, accuracy and dodge / Helps with Open Lock (trap disarm) rating also.
LUC - Effects various things, one important one is helps with protecting against bad status / chance of getting 1 hit killed. Also effects damage from non-elemental items such as explosive powder? and helps with Open Lock (trap disarm) rating.

------------

One final tip is fill out your guild a bit with standby characters as they gain exp and small amounts of $$$ while you are gone. While it isnt much its better than nothing.

Oh yeah one more important thing, is the items in the shop they are limited so pay attention to the stock. The numbers under the backpack item represents how many you have. The shop will not restock in a single playthrough.

Also Rare items. DO NOT SELL or THROW THEM AWAY. Reason for caps is literally you will have no way of getting them back if you do that as they only drop once per playthrough. The shop keeper will tell you the same thing if you ask him about it. How do you get better stats on a rare item will be explained next.

You will meet a talking treasure chests with arms called a Mumic. By feeding it rare items from your inventory that you want to try for better stats, the Mumic makes the item able to re-drop from chests again. The problem is you need to carry the rare items on hand as you are unable to access your storage vault while in the dungeons.

So basically for example

+2 Bishoptls Hammer

Feed to Mumic

Ambush, Defeat Leader, Obtain Treasure Chest

+7 Bishoptls Hammer

Though the chance of the item becoming worse exists too. Which means feeding the Mumic the same item again. Mumic also appears both at random and from the static enemy points on the map. So its not like you will be able to call it up manually whenever you want. Which is what makes having to carry around the rare items a pain.

Parakeetman

Spent about an hour making characters, now partway through the tutorial quest. Doing some ambushing before I go to the underground part of the area though, wanna outfit my peepz! Party is Fighter/Knight/Samurai in front, then Wizard/Archer/Cleric in back. Made all the types I could except for dancer, may just remove the pre-made one they had and make my own.

Also, Experience , pls give name generator. I hate thinking of names :(

Yeah the underground area sucks thanks to the asshole skeleton with the axe in his head down there... Either that or the pixie looking enemies if they show up in large amounts you can take some pretty mean damage as they have fairly high AGI and are able to act faster than your slower units. Which means getting nailed with magic and such.

The reason why that crazy skeleton thing is even down there is due to the zone also leads to another dungeon later on. So the spawns are a bit mixed in. Thankfully it does not show up all that often, but when it does starting out Id suggest running. As it hits insanely hard and you wont be able to damage it much without Holy Weapon the cleric skill.

When I first got the 360 version that is what killed most of my party back then when I started out. Good times.

autoduelist

Unless min/maxing is specifically what you're into this for, there's no need to be so OCD about things.

No, i don't min/max. But I had a 14 character, and i'm gaming ocd enough to want another one. all my other characters will be whatever i get easily (09 probably) but damn it, i'm not giving up on getting a good main.

Actually... wait. Can I save my game right after char creation? Or do i risk rolling a high number then getting one shot again?

From what I've read cash doesn't matter so much, the best items are obtained from dungeons and ambushes anyway.

It seems to me that knights are better than fighters early on, my fighter keeps ending up in the hospital while my knight and samurai plow through. Samurai are really useful because they can dual wield a decent selection of blades, and can attack entire rows at once. I'll often have my samurai take on the enemy tanks single-handedly, while my spear and ranged weapon characters focus on clearing out the back row magic users or transport leader asap.

From what I've read cash doesn't matter so much, the best items are obtained from dungeons and ambushes anyway.

It seems to me that knights are better than fighters early on, my fighter keeps ending up in the hospital while my knight and samurai plow through. Samurai are really useful because they can dual wield a decent selection of blades, and can attack entire rows at once. I'll often have my samurai take on the enemy tanks single-handedly, while my spear and ranged weapon characters focus on clearing out the back row magic users or transport leader asap.

There is no easy way to earn cash really, its just selling whatever extra junk you have from ambushing. So just keep hitting up those ambush points and sell whatever you dont need. Exp, Gear and Cash all in one go.

There is no real "best" starting party as it depends if you know how to use the classes or not. Though the "basic" starting party in Exp Inc games are generally

Fighter, Knight, Samurai
Cleric, Wizard, (Dancer / Ninja / Ranger or another CLE / WIZ if you really want one)

Basic info on Class Changing.

• Your level will be halved after Class Changing.
  • You only can Class Change up to 5 times per character on a playthrough.
  • Get a Job to at least Lv 13 before Class Changing so you get the Skill Token (Additional Skill Slot to equip other learned class skills)
  • Class Changed characters get a bonus to their HP and MP so will have more HP / MP than a character who has not Class Changed at the same level / stats.
  • It costs $$$ to Class Change. I forget if the cost increases based on the characters level at the change or the # of times they changed. Think? It was level based.
  • You do not need to Class Change to beat the game. It is perfectly fine having a non Class Changed party. Though having characters who have Class Changed can make things easier.

Purpose on Class Changing is to learn skills from other classes which can be equipped in your skill slots. Like having a Cleric with Wizard spells, Fighter with Ninja Skills etc. You can check your skills / descriptions and level reqs at any time on the Mastery screen? I think, if thats not it am sure you will be able to find it on your own.

Giant wall of text, but stuff you should know in regards to what kind of options are available with Class Changing.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202184003&postcount=518

When making characters keep all of this in mind, also that if you are new to the genre, you will want to make characters that have at least 2 Life Points. The lower amount of starting bonus points doesnt really matter too much as you can make up for that with equipment and the spell buffs in game.

One final tip is fill out your guild a bit with standby characters as they gain exp and small amounts of $$$ while you are gone. While it isnt much its better than nothing.

Oh yeah one more important thing, is the items in the shop they are limited so pay attention to the stock. The numbers under the backpack item represents how many you have. The shop will not restock in a single playthrough.

Also Rare items. DO NOT SELL or THROW THEM AWAY. Reason for caps is literally you will have no way of getting them back if you do that as they only drop once per playthrough. The shop keeper will tell you the same thing if you ask him about it. How do you get better stats on a rare item will be explained next.

You will meet a talking treasure chests with arms called a Mumic. By feeding it rare items from your inventory that you want to try for better stats, the Mumic makes the item able to re-drop from chests again. The problem is you need to carry the rare items on hand as you are unable to access your storage vault while in the dungeons.

So basically for example

+2 Bishoptls Hammer

Feed to Mumic

Ambush, Defeat Leader, Obtain Treasure Chest

+7 Bishoptls Hammer

Though the chance of the item becoming worse exists too. Which means feeding the Mumic the same item again. Mumic also appears both at random and from the static enemy points on the map. So its not like you will be able to call it up manually whenever you want. Which is what makes having to carry around the rare items a pain.

Great posts. Thank you both :)

redcrayon

Just setting up my party now. A couple of questions if that's ok. Are the inate talent racial skills of the Migmy and Ney (Intuition: detect treasure and identify trap. Wild eye: detect dungeon secret) essential? How do they work in-game?

Also, it seems like, for characters in the mid-range with 2 life points, being 40-59 is better than being 20-39 for the two extra minimum bonus SP. I can't see a disadvantage there, is there one?

Thanks in advance!

KiTA

Wow, you can only class change 5 times per ng+? I read that in the wiki as only 5 NG+ cycles total, heh -- glad it's not that.

Still, only 5 times per playthrough... hm...

Edit: Uh, wait, it's both? 5 class changes, 5 playthroughs (Initial, then NG+ to NG++++?)

Parakeetman

Wow, you can only class change 5 times per ng+? I read that in the wiki as only 5 NG+ cycles total, heh -- glad it's not that.

Still, only 5 times per playthrough... hm...

Edit: Uh, wait, it's both? 5 class changes, 5 playthroughs (Initial, then NG+ to NG++++?)

Both 5 CC 5 PTs.

Just setting up my party now. A couple of questions if that's ok. Are the inate talent racial skills of the Migmy and Ney (Intuition: detect treasure and identify trap. Wild eye: detect dungeon secret) essential? How do they work in-game?

Also, it seems like, for characters in the mid-range with 2 life points, being 40-59 is better than being 20-39 for the two extra minimum bonus SP. I can't see a disadvantage there, is there one?

Thanks in advance!

No real disadvantage with the age.

Trap stuff and Detect are both done automatically in game.

Lokbob

My first row is getting one damage every time I move, its not poison and the Status screen isn't showing anything.
I thought maybe its fatigue and I have to sleep but that's not a option - how do I fix this?

Parakeetman

My first row is getting one damage every time I move, its not poison and the Status screen isn't showing anything.
I thought maybe its fatigue and I have to sleep but that's not a option - how do I fix this?

Look at what you have equipped as some items deal damage.

Up to the second set of 3 dungeons after
fighting the wyvern at the slums.
Also hit level 13 so reclassed everyone. Is there a more efficient way to level grind than ambushes?

Does Knight's Iron Defense skill only last for the turn its used?
Ninja's illusion skill seems immensely useful.

Parakeetman

Also if you make it to the mines
through the slums
there will be large groups of enemies
zombie dwarves
can get decent stuff from the ambush points too.

Though that place has one of the more irritating lineage species which can 1HK you in there if unlucky so good luck if you run into it. lol

hawk2025

Made it deep into the Slums, and all I see is a locked door with no other way forward.

Two Lineage fights have run away from me so far, what gives? :( One of them was a super-close fight, too.

Going back to the frozen forest for now, this should have been more than enough leveling to make it significantly easier.

This may be my favorite DRPG yet, although I admittedly haven't played to many. The stakes are really high and all of its systems are just complex enough to make it very fun to plan out what you would like to do.

CrovaxPSO

Made it deep into the Slums, and all I see is a locked door with no other way forward.

Two Lineage fights have run away from me so far, what gives? :( One of them was a super-close fight, too.

Going back to the frozen forest for now, this should have been more than enough leveling to make it significantly easier.

This may be my favorite DRPG yet, although I admittedly haven't played to many. The stakes are really high and all of its systems are just complex enough to make it very fun to plan out what you would like to do.

Did you talk to an NPC mage in the slums? She opens one of the doors for you.

And as for enemies running away, are you sure those are lineage types and not ambush encounters? The leader of the enemies in the ambushes will run away after a few turns if you don't kill it in time. There might be lineage types that run away but I don't remember any offhand.

hawk2025

Did you talk to an NPC mage in the slums? She opens one of the doors for you.

And as for enemies running away, are you sure those are lineage types and not ambush encounters? The leader of the enemies in the ambushes will run away after a few turns if you don't kill it in time. There might be lineage types that run away but I don't remember any offhand.

I think they were lineage types? The battle definitely had the introduction with the "chains" around the screen. To clarify, it was:

The archer and the white ninja, both "escaped" before I could kill them as far as I know. Perhaps I did kill them?

CrovaxPSO

I think they were lineage types? The battle definitely had the introduction with the "chains" around the screen. To clarify, it was:

The archer and the white ninja, both "escaped" before I could kill them as far as I know. Perhaps I did kill them?

Hmm, never seen them run away. I actually just fought the
white ninja
. Was it when
you have to fight a bunch of regular ninjas first and then move into the boss marker
?

hawk2025

Hmm, never seen them run away. I actually just fought the
white ninja
. Was it when
you have to fight a bunch of regular ninjas first and then move into the boss marker
?

Yup.

Really weird. Maybe I did kill him after all and just misunderstood the text? Is there a way to check how many Blood Crystals I have?

CrovaxPSO

Yup.

Really weird. Maybe I did kill him after all and just misunderstood the text? Is there a way to check how many Blood Crystals I have?

Info, then Blood Crystals I think. And maybe you misread. It says he disappears but that's what happens to the lineage types when you take their blood crystal, they disappear.

hawk2025

Info, then Blood Crystals I think. And maybe you misread. It says he disappears but that's what happens to the lineage types when you take their blood crystal, they disappear.

Boom, that was it.

How the hell... 15 hours? I'm 8 hours in and haven't even cleared a second dungeon.

About 5 and a half hours later, I can now continue to progress the game. Leveling up different classes is just terrible, even if all you're trying to do is get the early skills and the skill slot.

How the hell... 15 hours? I'm 8 hours in and haven't even cleared a second dungeon.

Skip the optional stuff and basically be "the" drpg person. I can only imagine that with the amount of drpgs they play, this is probably pretty tame in terms of difficulty.

Parakeetman

About 5 and a half hours later, I can now continue to progress the game. Leveling up different classes is just terrible, even if all you're trying to do is get the early skills and the skill slot.

Skip the optional stuff and basically be "the" drpg person. I can only imagine that with the amount of drpgs they play, this is probably pretty tame in terms of difficulty.

Yeah its basically leveling up a new character again as there is no exp bonus and such for class changing. Which is why had mentioned it will take an excessive amount of time to do lol.

Boom, that was it.

Yeah dont worry about him hes always like that lol. There are some crazy times on the JP ranking also. Considering a few of us went through a lot of the older Wizardry titles and such the modern drpgs for the most part are a lot easier. Would have to say Dorarnae is a in the 1% when it comes to what normal playtimes should be considering how quickly he usually finishes stuff.

I am surprised I was able to finish this...my character are kinda weak, I don't even have the last few spell.

Stranger_zpslseo0hk5.png

Its going to be hilarious seeing others "attempt" and fail at trying to beat your time.

Parakeetman

Great posts. Thank you both :)

Oh yeah one other thing since the game doesnt really tell you about it is the class skill for the Wiz / Cle.

Wizard - Magic Weapon
Cleric - Holy Weapon

*Using the Magic / Holy Weapon skill will cost MP each time its cast. Effects only last for that specific battle.

Skills are for the following

Magic Weapon - Spirit types (elementals, slimes etc.)

Holy Weapon - Things that look like they might be Undead generally.

Without having those effects on your weapon when fighting the specific enemy type damage will generally be single digit so keep that in mind.

You can find weapons that have O vs. enemy type so if you see

O Immortal, O Spirit

Basically means the weapon will act as if it has a constant Magic / Holy Weapon effect on it.

For the other types just means it will deal extra damage to it.

Shizuka

I am surprised I was able to finish this...my character are kinda weak, I don't even have the last few spell.

Stranger_zpslseo0hk5.png

Wow, you're unbeatable. At least that gives me more encouragement that if I'd take on a new game, I wouldn't take as long as I did before.

Any way to tell enemy resistances to status ailments?

I have on rare occasions been able to get one to stick (confusion for example) when I normally couldn't for the creature type so I am guessing it isn't all or nothing but not having full enemy stats available like in Elminage is a little irritating at times.

Do the Lineages that you kill a 2nd time stay dead or do they keep on reviving after that?

Also holy hell at the main boss in the volcano, lvl 15 with my gear clearly is not high enough for that thing.

hawk2025

Do the Lineages that you kill a 2nd time stay dead or do they keep on reviving after that?

Also holy hell at the main boss in the volcano, lvl 15 with my gear clearly is not high enough for that thing.

One of the NPCs mentioned in the Shadow Palace that some lineages will return even if you collect the Blood Crystal, but they will no longer give you a new blood crystal. I think it's just meant to be a battle you can repeat as many times as you want.

Parakeetman

Any way to tell enemy resistances to status ailments?

I have on rare occasions been able to get one to stick (confusion for example) when I normally couldn't for the creature type so I am guessing it isn't all or nothing but not having full enemy stats available like in Elminage is a little irritating at times.

I dont remember if their data will show up in the monster guide thing if you fight them once and flee.

One of the NPCs mentioned in the Shadow Palace that some lineages will return even if you collect the Blood Crystal, but they will no longer give you a new blood crystal. I think it's just meant to be a battle you can repeat as many times as you want.

Yeah that and sometimes they will respawn on the magic stone, which causes you to be unable to warp to it. Which means you need to march your ass all the way back to the stone, kick the ass of whoever is blocking the magic stone then you will be able to use it again.

I think there is a trophy related to killing respawned lineage species X amount of times? Trophy list though contains massive plot spoilers is on the first page OP if you want to check it.

Managed to get through both the
Undead Town
and
Mausoleum of Fire
. Holy hell at the
Rainbow + Death Dragon fight
, that was helluva tense. Palms sweating and all. Despite the teasing on the sheer difficulty of the fights, I managed to beat them both without any casualties on my first try. Go me :p

If anything,
Rainbow
actually gave me more trouble, with her fuxxoring my party arrangements constantly.

From Parakeetman's guide on best class skills earlier, I decided to refrain from changing classes, and got the cleric's magic wall which is a real life saver in those battles. Thanks dude!

Also, holy hell at the
Berserked Kyo
fight afterwards. Died quite a few times until I learned the trick, very clever fight actually. Incidentally, there's no way to avoid fighting with
Kyo
and having
Anna die
afterwards, right? Part of the story? That is dark as hell, shit.

Ah well, deeper under the sea I go :)

Parakeetman

Managed to get through both the
Undead Town
and
Mausoleum of Fire
. Holy hell at the
Rainbow + Death Dragon fight
, that was helluva tense. Palms sweating and all. Despite the teasing on the sheer difficulty of the fights, I managed to beat them both without any casualties on my first try. Go me :p

If anything,
Rainbow
actually gave me more trouble, with her fuxxoring my party arrangements constantly.

From Parakeetman's guide on best class skills earlier, I decided to refrain from changing classes, and got the cleric's magic wall which is a real life saver in those battles. Thanks dude!

Also, holy hell at the
Berserked Kyo
fight afterwards. Died quite a few times until I learned the trick, very clever fight actually. Incidentally, there's no way to avoid fighting with
Kyo and having Anna die
afterwards, right? Part of the story? That is dark as hell, shit.

Ah well, deeper under the sea I go :)

Yes its part of the story.

Good luck underwater lol.

hawk2025

Parakeetman, what is your general approach for the Blood Crystals?

I'm sticking to the middle "lane" so far by giving them to -forgot her name- at the Stranger base, especially since the Divinity skills like -5Hit/-5Avoid seem more useful than one-off attacks, but are the lines typically consistent, or should I mix and match between the different people?

This is one extra dimension of leveling up I don't want to worry about, there's already so much :p

p.s.: You have no idea how useful all your contributions to this thread are :)

Parakeetman

Parakeetman, what is your general approach for the Blood Crystals?

I'm sticking to the middle "lane" so far by giving them to -forgot her name- at the Stranger base, especially since the Divinity skills like -5Hit/-5Avoid seem more useful than one-off attacks, but are the lines typically consistent, or should I mix and match between the different people?

This is one extra dimension of leveling up I don't want to worry about, there's already so much :p

p.s.: You have no idea how useful all your contributions to this thread are :)

Basically for my first playthrough I went for more defensive / buff / debuff related stuff.

Like magic veil?, the attack first in battle + accuracy / evade, Evade / Accuracy down on the enemy + prevent escape for a turn?

Were the main ones sorry dont remember what the names were exactly for the localized version. D:

For sections where I had a choice anyways, avoided like the magic attack power up and like physical attack skill ones.

Top Bottom