• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STRANGER OF SWORD CITY |OT| - "We're going to need another Timmy"

CrovaxPSO

Wow, that's what the vita version looks like? That resolution is rough :(

That's enlarged and cropped (to avoid spoilers in the dialogue box I imagine). Here's a direct screenshot from the Japanese release:

wEJb1dQ.jpg

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Hey... Those icons in the center are lit up in that screenshot... What do they do?

Those are dungeon related spell effects.

Avoid up, Hit up, Lower enemy encounter rate, Increase enemy level, Magic protection, Bad Status protection? Or something like that off the top of my head.

Its the Cleric / Wizard support spells. Those effects will not wear off unless you leave the dungeon or disable them yourself. (Hit, Avoid, Chime, Hide, Magic, Bio) Others are only active during battle.

Wizard
Lv III
  • Force Chime - Raise enemy lv, lower chance of being attacked first by enemy
  • Force Magic - Raises defense against enemy magic attacks
  • Force Bio - Raises defense against enemy Soul Blast / Bad Status effects
  • Force Hide - Lower enemy encounter rate, raise chance to attack enemy first

Cleric
LV III
  • Force Avoid - Raises evade rating for all party members
  • Force Hit - Raises hit rating for all party members
  • Divine Life - When a party memeber dies all MP is of the character who died exchanged to ressurect them. Death from poison does not proc the effect. You do not lose LP from death this way.

LV IV
  • Force Guard - Puts up a special barrier which will protect characters from special attack which erases buffs.

There was one other but dont remember what it is.

CrovaxPSO

Looking into what each icon is for I found out something I didn't know from the JP release. You can use the Whistle Ball item outside of a battle and the anti-shuffle effect (the last icon in the bottom row) will persist until it negates a shuffle, and won't go away after a battle either if you don't get shuffled. No idea how I missed this before but it would have made some encounters a bit easier.

Parakeetman

Looking into what each icon is for I found out something I didn't know from the JP release. You can use the Whistle Ball item outside of a battle and the anti-shuffle effect (the last icon in the bottom row) will persist until it negates a shuffle, and won't go away after a battle either if you don't get shuffled. No idea how I missed this before but it would have made some encounters a bit easier.

Yeah seriously I only used them in battle also. lol Nice to know since that indeed does make things easier big time having a proper prevention method.

hawk2025

Help me out!

Should I get:

Spirit Wall 1: nullify all conditions and enhance magic def for 2 rounds

Or

Sky dragon 1: gain the initiative for 1 turn, hit/avoid +3

Parakeetman

Help me out!

Should I get:

Spirit Wall 1: nullify all conditions and enhance magic def for 2 rounds

Or

Sky dragon 1: gain the initiative for 1 turn, hit/avoid +3

both ard kinda important spirit wall wll most def be later on, but sky dragon you can always use.

Dorarnae

magic def is <3. but it's in particular against those requiem/grand cross spell, always nervous when you see those spell and that thing isn't up.

Is there some kind of level cutoff for Lineages or is this armor knight in Shadow Palace and undead thing in the Ghost Town just going to keep getting stronger? Because when I first saw them they were in the low 30s, now I can't get them sub 45.

Shizuka

Is there some kind of level cutoff for Lineages or is this armor knight in Shadow Palace and undead thing in the Ghost Town just going to keep getting stronger? Because when I first saw them they were in the low 30s, now I can't get them sub 45.

They keep going, always matching your current level to some extent.

Moofers

This game is hardcore. I'm assuming I'm still in the tutorial section (just did ambush, now disarming traps) and I have two people hospitalized back at the base. AND I'm playing on Beginner. LOL

I'm enjoying it though. It has great art and production, and I'm enjoying the soundtrack a lot too. Going to stick with this one for sure. :)

Shizuka

Does anyone have a nice layout of which divinity skills to get during a playthrough? Dorarnae, would you be willing to share yours?

ultra7k

Is there a skill or item that prevents or restores my party from being shuffled in battle, like 'whistle' from Demon Gaze?

Dorarnae

Does anyone have a nice layout of which divinity skills to get during a playthrough? Dorarnae, would you be willing to share yours?

last two time I played, I had the magic def thing 3 times,physical def 2 times, the charm thing 2 times and 3 times the avoid/hit decrease and the light veil.

I didn't use the avoid/hit decrease that much, it does help sometime but I am not using it much. the regen thing is very tempting and I used to play with it at first but 10% is enough.

Shizuka

last two time I played, I had the magic def thing 3 times,physical def 2 times, the charm thing 2 times and 3 times the avoid/hit decrease and the light veil.

I didn't use the avoid/hit decrease that much, it does help sometime but I am not using it much. the regen thing is very tempting and I used to play with it at first but 10% is enough.

Any chance you could take a screenshot of your setup?

Parakeetman

This game is hardcore. I'm assuming I'm still in the tutorial section (just did ambush, now disarming traps) and I have two people hospitalized back at the base. AND I'm playing on Beginner. LOL

I'm enjoying it though. It has great art and production, and I'm enjoying the soundtrack a lot too. Going to stick with this one for sure. :)

Yeah all easy mode does is lower the general level of enemies and such. Once you beat the boss there and Kyo offers to take you back to the base that is when you know the tutorial is over.

Are trade goods useful for anything other than selling to the shopkeeper?

I have been keeping a bunch of trade goods in fear that an npc will ask for 10 of something down the road which I will have to grind for.

SoSC doesn't seem like a fetch quest kind of game after putting a good number of hours into it, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Parakeetman

Are trade goods useful for anything other than selling to the shopkeeper?

I have been keeping a bunch of trade goods in fear that an npc will ask for 10 of something down the road which I will have to grind for.

SoSC doesn't seem like a fetch quest kind of game after putting a good number of hours into it, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

For the most part I dont recall you needing those trade goods for anything besides selling. Its not like Demon Gaze where you had to collect fluffy feathers or something. Other "quest" related items are like special story related drops.

autoduelist

Finally had some time to start making chars. Is there a recommend spread of traits (Fortunate, Invincible, etc) a party should have?

The first character I created was going to be a cleric, and Fortunate came with +3 stat points. That sort of did the deciding for me, since it seemed silly to not get +3 stats. Haven't even finished rolling the char (been sick) so don't know if the +3 is randomized per char.

Finally had some time to start making chars. Is there a recommend spread of traits (Fortunate, Invincible, etc) a party should have?

The first character I created was going to be a cleric, and Fortunate came with +3 stat points. That sort of did the deciding for me, since it seemed silly to not get +3 stats. Haven't even finished rolling the char (been sick) so don't know if the +3 is randomized per char.

I'd personally recommend having all five skills (i.e. every character in your party will have a different skill), they're all useful in their own ways. The lock pick skill is absolutely required since most of your equipment will be found in trapped chests, wild sight is needed to spot secret doors, educated lets you ID unknown items and see enemy health, strong body one helps against paralysis and OHKO (absolutely vital on a knight).

Fortunate basically adds 3 to your roll, so for example if you're rolling a young 3LP character, your minimum roll is 3 if you don't have fortunate, and 6 if you do.

So I have 2 bosses that I'm basically stuck on atm. The
Mermaid
at the bottom of the sea and the
Old Man
at the Mausoleum of Metal. The
old man
keeps stripping my buffs and because of that I can never hit him, which he then proceeds to outheal any dmg I can get in on him. The
mermaid
is just straight up outhealing any dmg I can do.

Like, is it probably a weapon problem at this point, even though most of my stuff is kinda up to date, or is there something I can do to keep my buffs from getting stripped?

Parakeetman

So I have 2 bosses that I'm basically stuck on atm. The
Mermaid
at the bottom of the sea and the
Old Man
at the Mausoleum of Metal. The
old man
keeps stripping my buffs and because of that I can never hit him, which he then proceeds to outheal any dmg I can get in on him. The
mermaid
is just straight up outhealing any dmg I can do.

Like, is it probably a weapon problem at this point, even though most of my stuff is kinda up to date, or is there something I can do to keep my buffs from getting stripped?

You need the Clerics Force Guard spell. Its a tier IV spell so you will need a lv 24 Cleric. This is for the protecting against the buff stripping effect.

The other problem is just more you need more firepower. Am not sure if the Wizards Tier IV spell Magic Break effects healing spells also. But that spell lowers the effect of spell damage / effects and such for enemies. Lv 25 Wiz is necessary for that.

You need the Clerics Force Guard spell. Its a tier IV spell so you will need a lv 24 Cleric. This is for the protecting against the buff stripping effect.

The other problem is just more you need more firepower. Am not sure if the Wizards Tier IV spell Magic Break effects healing spells also. But that spell lowers the effect of spell damage / effects and such for enemies. Lv 25 Wiz is necessary for that.

Alright, thanks. Looking at those they definitely look like something that would help out quite a bit on those fights.

Parakeetman

Alright, thanks. Looking at those they definitely look like something that would help out quite a bit on those fights.

Yeah when you hit a wall like that its good to check what are the upcoming skills / spells and such. Though I forget if you can check spells in the tier separately...

In terms of melee if you have weapons that can cause KO use those also on a fighter when you try to do something like the multi-hit moves in an attempt to rob it of actions while being KOed. Can make a big difference also. One piece of data is that particular lineage species the underwater one will automatically self heal every 7 turns.

Oh wait thats right you cant use the Wizards Magic Break anyways underwater. As no spells are allowed. So with that being said you might want to go for trying to get KO effects to proc instead. If you are really insane you can create fighters or other melee classes with the dancers Weapon Trick ability to have melee members attacking from the back row.

I think there is an item you can use which has the Magic Break effect though. But would imagine its quite rare and / or expensive. Let me check hang on.

Its a rank D item, should have Vase? as part of the name. No idea what the localized name is thats why. Its not Demon Vase as that is Force Break. Its the other "something" Vase item which is Magic Break.

Ephidel

I think there is an item you can use which has the Magic Break effect though. But would imagine its quite rare and / or expensive. Let me check hang on.

Its a rank D item, should have Vase? as part of the name. No idea what the localized name is thats why. Its not Demon Vase as that is Force Break. Its the other "something" Vase item which is Magic Break.
Destruction Vase. The shop has a stock of 10 (for 270c each) and you might have picked a few up just exploring (I have 4 just from identifying loot and such)

cj_iwakura

Surprised it's JP only... I was looking forward to the dub.

Also a bit disappointed in the presentation. It's Experience DRPG #3. They all seem very... samey. If it wasn't for the art, you'd barely tell this apart from Demon Gaze or Generation Xth.

Ephidel

I'm having a skill vs character disconnect.

I'm not liking Marilith all that much, but I am liking her divinity skills. How much is the game going to make me regret my ... selfishness ... if I support her out of greed and not idealism?

Also, I notice that the end of the divinity tree basically seems to be "make a choice". Is the outcome of the choice impacted by how much you have invested in that "route" before then? Would it be "safe" to invest my crystals in the skills I want and then tell their new owner to go fly a kite in favour of whatever route I feel like pursuing by the end, or would doing so lead to problems because my route choice is neutered (or blocked) by the fact I haven't backed them adequately before then?

Also, at the "make a choice" option only one route seems to have visible progression. Is that actually the case, or are appearances deceiving?

Feel free to answer in tags if the answers are spoilery. Or even if they're not :)

Kalentan

I need to get my accuracy up for my melee characters. I've been doing some fights in the Forest and find them missing a lot more than they usually do.

Also, I didn't see them in the shop... But are there MP potions? Cause I've started to run into the issue of needing my Mages to basically go afk to conserve their mana.

TheYanger

I need to get my accuracy up for my melee characters. I've been doing some fights in the Forest and find them missing a lot more than they usually do.

Also, I didn't see them in the shop... But are there MP potions? Cause I've started to run into the issue of needing my Mages to basically go afk to conserve their mana.

There are mp restoration items, but largely I try to avoid casting spells while fighting weaker enemies. You can also get mp per step as a cleric (or every few steps rather), but it's still not enough to let your casters just go ham all the time.

Ephidel

Gaizel is driving me nuts.
Sometimes he pops up after three turns. Three. Three is not taking "too long" in battle :|
Unfortunately he's definitely out of my league at the moment so I doubt I'll be putting a stop to his stalking anytime soon.

My inner mapper is cringing at leaving so many gaps in my map down here too. I'm tempted to swap in an additional backup cleric just so I have enough MP to blow on healing myself if I step on some of these traps intentionally.

Parakeetman

There are some MP recovery items but they are limited in stock like all other items in the shop so keep that in mind. As once they are sold out that is it for the stock.

In general you will have to play a more conservative game with magic users, while at the same time not wasting a ton of items either since those are limited also as mentioned.

Once you exhaust something in the shop only other way to get items is by finding them from drops from fights or in the dungeons.

Does the
Death Dragon
after fighting the
Spiders
in the Underground Ghost Town have an instakill move? It kinda immediately murdered my Knight on the first turn and then took its time killing the rest of my party.

Parakeetman

Does the
Death Dragon
after fighting the
Spiders
in the Underground Ghost Town have an instakill move? It kinda immediately murdered my Knight on the first turn and then took its time killing the rest of my party.

Yeah it does. So any of its attacks have a chance to 1HK

Kalentan

Damn... Sometimes the amount of enemies that rush in is insane! I killed a boss (from hiding), and then spent like... a while, fighting endlessly spawning enemies. Didn't help that my characters kept missing. Does dual wielding with a weapon that does't require the ability, effect accuracy?

Parakeetman

Damn... Sometimes the amount of enemies that rush in is insane! I killed a boss (from hiding), and then spent like... a while, fighting endlessly spawning enemies. Didn't help that my characters kept missing. Does dual wielding with a weapon that does't require the ability, effect accuracy?

Not sure on that, but mainly AGI effects dual wielding stuff. Well for the proper skill anyways, as it helps increase the offhand damage. Asides from the general accuracy stats.

Tohsaka

I got destroyed by the two bosses at the bottom of Ghost Town because of the stupid Requiem spam insta-killing people. I guess I just need to level up more or something, since I read that its effectiveness is based on your level difference. I just reload if someone dies in battle since I don't like the whole LP/hospitalization system and having to swap out/gear up multiple bench warmers.

Parakeetman

I got destroyed by the two bosses at the bottom of Ghost Town because of the stupid Requiem spam insta-killing people. I guess I just need to level up more or something, since I read that its effectiveness is based on your level difference. I just reload if someone dies in battle since I don't like the whole LP/hospitalization system and having to swap out/gear up multiple bench warmers.

Luck status also effects the chances of it occurring for whatever reason, along with the other general bad status effects.

Top Bottom