• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STRANGER OF SWORD CITY |OT| - "We're going to need another Timmy"

redcrayon

I was quite pleased to see that switching your equipment set in battle (item/equipment set) doesn't use up your turn. It means that when an enemy leader tries to hide behind the front rank, my fighter can pull out his bow rather than be equipped with it all the time. Also it doesn't affect 'concentrate'- you can 'concentrate' while holding an axe, then take out your bow and arrows before using 'Rush' the next turn.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Do the shops display what classes can use what gear? I didn't see it, usually essential in a DC...

Its obvious that the Two Handed Axe should go to the Wizard and this Wand is just what the Fighter needed and the Dancer would be great in a full set of Plate Mail...

cj_iwakura

Its obvious that the Two Handed Axe should go to the Wizard and this Wand is just what the Fighter needed and the Dancer would be great in a full set of Plate Mail...

Come on, you know full well what I mean. Some helmets can be equipped only by fighters and knights, but not by samurai. It's not always cut and dry. EO has the feature for a reason.

Parakeetman

You are better off not buying equipment from the shop and save that $$$ for the expendable items instead. As its easy enough to constantly get gear from ambushing enemies. Not to mention they can come with the + status to them.

The equipment sold in the shop for the most part is a huge waste of money and would be replaced fairly easily. And this game money most def is an issue early on.

Come on, you know full well what I mean. Some helmets can be equipped only by fighters and knights, but not by samurai. It's not always cut and dry. EO has the feature for a reason.

You just have to look at their icons, hats and helms have different icons, heavy armor and cloth also have different icons. Same with weapons too. If you're worried you can just save the game, buy the thing and check it out, reload if it doesn't equip.

To be fair, you only probably do this the first hour or so... after that, all your equipment come from ambushes. I don't think I ever bought more than one bow from that shop, and I'm near the end already.

Edit: What Parakeetman said. Save your money on buying the items instead. The cheap healing items, butterfly wings, LP restoration items, and that gem that changes difficulty are really the only items I bought. Money is quite inconsequential later in this game.

Parakeetman

You just have to look at their icons, hats and helms have different icons, heavy armor and cloth also have different armor. Same with weapons too. If you're worried you can just save the game, buy the thing and check it out, reload if it doesn't equip.

To be fair, you only probably do this the hour or so... after that, all your equipment come from ambushes. I don't think I ever bought more than one bow from that shop, and I'm near the end already.

Pretty much, its not rocket science thats for sure.

Generally by the time you save a large enough amount of cash to get the later equipment items you can find those on your own.

As LordSparda said the only thing you might purchase early on is a bow if you use a ranger. Since those are not as common early in the game. Unless you dont mind being stuck with the fairly useless slings, throwing knives and boomerangs. Though there is a rare sling that does ok damage. Thankfully the bows on sale are not that expensive.

Once you start getting more stuff from ambushing and equipping it on whoever, should clear things up. That and your characters class skills will show what armor types they are able to wear. Which is broken down into 3 general categories of light, med, heavy.

Parakeetman

I was quite pleased to see that switching your equipment set in battle (item/equipment set) doesn't use up your turn. It means that when an enemy leader tries to hide behind the front rank, my fighter can pull out his bow rather than be equipped with it all the time. Also it doesn't affect 'concentrate'- you can 'concentrate' while holding an axe, then take out your bow and arrows before using 'Rush' the next turn.

That is a fairly useful feature, granted I had hardly made any use of it while playing. But it is nice for when you need to switch to a set with different weapon effects for example. Like going from anti-spirit / undead to a weapon that can cause KO.

redcrayon

That is a fairly useful feature, granted I had hardly made any use of it while playing. But it is nice for when you need to switch to a set with different weapon effects for example. Like going from anti-spirit / undead to a weapon that can cause KO.
One more question:

Some equipment, under 'enchantment' at the bottom of the page, have things listed like O Spirit, O Immortal, Earth etc. Now, leather or wood armour that's weak to fire has 'Earth' as its enchantment, what do they mean exactly? Is 'Earth' a property that means 'weak to fire'?

Does 'O Immortal, 0 Spirit' (such as on a butterfly robe) means you are weak to attacks of a anti-undead or magical nature? Or does it mean that those items are strong vs those properties/elements? Or is it referring to the minor increase in magical power it offers? That would explain the minor 'spirit' buff listed to the left of the text but not what 'O immortal' means on an item of clothing. It seems a bit easier to get my head around on weapons, but the enchantments on clothing seems unclear as to what exactly they do when they aren't direct stat increases listed to the left of it to me.

Parakeetman

One more question:

Some equipment, under 'enchantment' at the bottom of the page, have things listed like O Spirit, O Immortal, Earth etc. Now, leather armour that's weak to fire often has 'Earth' as its enchantment, what do they mean exactly? Is 'Earth' a property that means 'weak to fire', and 'O Immortal, 0 Spirit' (such as on a butterfly robe) means you are weak to weapons of a anti-undead or magical nature? Or does it mean that those items are strong vs those properties/elements? It seems a bit easier to get my head around on weapons, but the enchantments on clothing seems unclear to me.

Yeah the O status means it works against those creature types for weapons

On Armors means that it has resistance against those types so lowered damage. Its not exactly explained in detail but thats generally how the system has worked.

O vs OO (another circle in the first one) is just the levels of effectiveness.

In short

O or OO on Weapons = Vs enemy type (for spirit / immortal = you can deal damage to them without the buff)

O or OO on Armor = Resistance Vs enemy type

redcrayon

Yeah the O status means it works against those creature types for weapons

On Armors means that it has resistance against those types so lowered damage. Its not exactly explained in detail but thats generally how the system has worked.
Oh, I see, so leather/wood is weak to fire and strong to Earth. It's just a bit confusing when the fire weakness is listed in the description text and Earth resistance in its enchantment text! Thanks for your help with this as per usual, I love these games but it sometimes takes a while to get my head around the mechanics in play!

Parakeetman

Oh, I see, so leather/wood is weak to fire and strong to Earth. It's just a bit confusing when the fire weakness is listed in the description text and Earth resistance in its enchantment text! Thanks for your help with this as per usual, I love these games but it sometimes takes a while to get my head around the mechanics in play!

Yeah its been a general mechanic staple with Exp Inc. With for example leather armor being weak to fire and such. Though its kinda odd considering later on there is not really that much other items which have a weakness to something. At least I dont remember anything for the most part.

Other stuff is due to English characters not being able to fit vs. Japanese Kanji it makes it harder for having the proper info on the item readouts and such, since there are character limits.

*Checking the wiki there seems to be a few other items, but most other pieces seem to be non-elemental related.

God Marilith's ending was terrible. The real difficulty near the end didn't come from the bosses, but trying to care about continuing because I saved before choosing an ending and didn't know that you got locked into the leader that you gave the most blood shard to, which ended up being Marilith by 1 point for me. I didn't want her ending, I wanted Riu's. Ended up rage reducing the difficulty and just powering through the rest of it because of that.

Still missing a few trophies and also the optional postgame boss, but those won't happen until another playthrough now. That seriously pissed me off that it locked me into the ending I didn't want, just because I had a leader 1 point above another.

I will say though that from a boss standpoint, there were a handful of bosses that were actually difficult and took some planning, while the rest were able to be ended in a small amount of turns and weren't challenging at all. The main issue I have with this and Demon Gaze, is that basic fights are almost all laughably easy, unlike Dungeon Travelers where fights weren't balanced around being able to roll your way through them with an auto button. Challenging bosses are nice, but I kinda like it when trash takes more just facerolling an auto win as well. The whole "perma-death" aspect was also extremely overblown when you can just reload a save if you die. If you're going to make it that easy to bypass a certain gameplay aspect like that, don't bother putting it in.

Dorarnae

God Marilith's ending was terrible. The real difficulty near the end didn't come from the bosses, but trying to care about continuing because I saved before choosing an ending and didn't know that you got locked into the leader that you gave the most blood shard to, which ended up being Marilith by 1 point for me. I didn't want her ending, I wanted Riu's. Ended up rage reducing the difficulty and just powering through the rest of it because of that.

Still missing a few trophies and also the optional postgame boss, but those won't happen until another playthrough now. That seriously pissed me off that it locked me into the ending I didn't want, just because I had a leader 1 point above another.

I will say though that from a boss standpoint, there were a handful of bosses that were actually difficult and took some planning, while the rest were able to be ended in a small amount of turns and weren't challenging at all. The main issue I have with this and Demon Gaze, is that basic fights are almost all laughably easy, unlike Dungeon Travelers where fights weren't balanced around being able to roll your way through them with an auto button. Challenging bosses are nice, but I kinda like it when trash takes more just facerolling an auto win as well. The whole "perma-death" aspect was also extremely overblown when you can just reload a save if you die. If you're going to make it that easy to bypass a certain gameplay aspect like that, don't bother putting it in.

you should try playing with a party of 1lp migmy and no reload allowed.

redcrayon

Class changing: how does it work?

Let's say I'm a level 13 knight and change class to a fighter. I know my levels halve, but am I then a level 7 fighter with all the skills up to level 7 learned? Or am I a level 7 'something' with only the skills of a level 1 fighter?

How about if I then level up to 13 as a fighter and then change back to a knight: do I revert to my previous status as a level 13 knight, or do my levels halve again, leaving me as a level 7 knight?

Just so I can plan ahead :D

Tohsaka

Is there an obvious cutoff point for when you are locked into the ending? I have Marilith in the lead right now but don't want her ending either, and I have enough Lineage Types left unkilled to put Alm in the lead by 1 I think, which I want to do. I have to go to the
Mausoleum of Storms
next, but the Lineage Types I have left are all 5 star difficulty ones so I kinda want to put them off for a bit if I can.

Parakeetman

Class changing: how does it work?

Let's say I'm a level 13 knight and change class to a fighter. I know my levels halve, but am I then a level 7 fighter with all the skills up to level 7 learned? Or am I a level 7 'something' with only the skills of a level 1 fighter?

How about if I then level up to 13 as a fighter and then change back to a knight: do I revert to my previous status as a level 13 knight, or do my levels halve again, leaving me as a level 7 knight?

Just so I can plan ahead :D

Heres the super long class changing post.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202184003&postcount=518

Though this one goes into the excessive levels.

Is there an obvious cutoff point for when you are locked into the ending? I have Marilith in the lead right now but don't want her ending either, and I have enough Lineage Types left unkilled to put Alm in the lead by 1 I think, which I want to do. I have to go to the
Mausoleum of Storms
next, but the Lineage Types I have left are all 5 star difficulty ones so I kinda want to put them off for a bit if I can.

The butterfly at the end of each of the leader's lines that says "choose your destiny" is the cutoff. You need a leader to be the highest before "choosing" which of those you get, although it's not really much of a choice since blood shard count is the only thing that dictates who's ending you can choose.

Saphirax

Famous last words:

Nah, I don't need more hit.
Something just oneshot my knight.
Oooh, a dragon.

Am loving this game though. It's not that difficult...yet :p.

Parakeetman

Famous last words:

Nah, I don't need more hit.
Something just oneshot my knight.
Oooh, a dragon.

Am loving this game though. It's not that difficult...yet :p.

Pretty much this game is all about hit / evade. That and the bad status / magic protection buffs to save your ass from requiem lol

Saphirax

Pretty much this game is all about hit / evade. That and the bad status / magic protection buffs to save your ass from requiem lol

Yeah, I usually get cocky and that's what ends up killing me. Or the standard 'Let's see if I can use Carnage on this boss without it killing my samurai."

Parakeetman

Yeah, I usually get cocky and that's what ends up killing me. Or the standard 'Let's see if I can use Carnage on this boss without it killing my samurai."

Yeah thats never a good idea lol. Ive done that a few times too without being fully buffed up / debuffed and even then just 1 wrong hit can cause disaster at times due to my points distribution being in Agi, Str, Luc then Vit with the samurai. What makes it worse is I usually use the skill that doesnt stop until one or the other is dead. It actually does stop after an absurd amount of turns though. But most of time time either the samurai or the target dies first before that happens lol

PS Vita version arrived today! Now I just need to install my new 32gig memory card (old one got corrupted and I returned to my 8gig one for 1-2 games but didn't play anything else anymore). As good a reason as any, seems this is an enjoyable game according to this thread :)

Parakeetman

PS Vita version arrived today! Now I just need to install my new 32gig memory card (old one got corrupted and I returned to my 8gig one for 1-2 games but didn't play anything else anymore). As good a reason as any, seems this is an enjoyable game according to this thread :)

If you enjoy the genre you should have a good time as its fairly well made for the most part. Rough edges and whatnots exist, but then again most games in the genre have that lol.

If you are familiar with Experience titles you should fit right in as the classes for the most part function fairly the same with the main ones. The only odd one would be the Dancer really.

Also if you are starting out this should help you.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202275203&postcount=557

Saphirax

Yeah thats never a good idea lol. Ive done that a few times too without being fully buffed up / debuffed and even then just 1 wrong hit can cause disaster at times due to my points distribution being in Agi, Str, Luc then Vit with the samurai. What makes it worse is I usually use the skill that doesnt stop until one or the other is dead. It actually does stop after an absurd amount of turns though. But most of time time either the samurai or the target dies first before that happens lol

I actually had that happen - after a certain amount of time spent constantly dodging enemy attacks, my Carnage skill just ended. Shame there's a limit.

Oh, and piety requirements for bows/daggers need to go away. So far that's the thing that bothers me the most.

Parakeetman

I actually had that happen - after a certain amount of time spent constantly dodging enemy attacks, my Carnage skill just ended. Shame there's a limit.

Oh, and piety requirements for bows/daggers need to go away. So far that's the thing that bothers me the most.

Yeah some of the dual reqs are weird. As there is no real way to prepare for it and trying to level up a character to meet said reqs at that point in the game doesnt really work due to how much exp is required and by then you would have better equipment anyways...

Always can go feeding that shit to the mumic I suppose. As with the MC getting higher in level so will the cap on the + status lol

That was the "semi" nice thing about Abyss was those plugins that you could go fuck you to prereqs on and equip stuff to some extent.

Am not sure if you can use equipment +stats boosts to push your stats up to be able to equip things. Honestly never went and tried that now that I think about it. Since know later on you will get better accessories that increase your stats more. Bracelets and Amulets I think it was? Though doing that just for a single weapon kinda hard to decide what is better. Stats that will directly benefit your characters build. Or that particular weapon and if its stats / effects are good enough to warrant sacrificing those stats points to.

Shizuka

Am not sure if you can use equipment +stats boosts to push your stats up to be able to equip things. Honestly never went and tried that now that I think about it. Since know later on you will get better accessories that increase your stats more. Bracelets and Amulets I think it was? Though doing that just for a single weapon kinda hard to decide what is better. Stats that will directly benefit your characters build. Or that particular weapon and if its stats / effects are good enough to warrant sacrificing those stats points to.

You can't.

Parakeetman

Was looking through the bow list again and seems like there would be some pieces of equipment that if you were a human for example would need your stats to be higher than the human max which is 29.

Or a dwarf for example who would have an even lower max AGI cap. And that is just for AGI requirements alone.

Though thankfully only the final bow is the one that has the insane STR and AGI cap to it. 34 / 36.

Heres the list if you are curious, though its all in Japanese. Its the chart on the bottom of the page.

Stats go as follows from Left to Right
STR / INT / PIE / VIT / AGI / LUC

http://www.spoiler.jp/srv/tsurugi/index.php?弓

Will have to check things out with that when I get the chance. Though the 360 is packed up so doubt it would be any time soon. As that is the system with my crazy data on it. Though looking at that bow I dont remember if I got it, if I did am certain I did not equip it looking at what kind of stats reqs are on it.

Actually seems like its not necessary for me to check up on it personally, confirmed on the wiki that you can use items to boost your stats higher. Though if you remove said stats boosting item(s) lowering your stats under the required value the equipment with the requirement will also be removed. Which generally is how it functions in most titles with stats requirements on equipment. Not to mention would have been stupid if some equipment was worthless until the 2nd playthrough and up which ups the stats cap to base +30.

Saphirax

Was looking through the bow list again and seems like there would be some pieces of equipment that if you were a human for example would need your stats to be higher than the human max which is 29.

Or a dwarf for example who would have an even lower max AGI cap. And that is just for AGI requirements alone.

Though thankfully only the final bow is the one that has the insane STR and AGI cap to it. 34 / 36.

Heres the list if you are curious, though its all in Japanese. Its the chart on the bottom of the page.

Stats go as follows from Left to Right
STR / INT / PIE / VIT / AGI / LUC

http://www.spoiler.jp/srv/tsurugi/index.php?弓

Will have to check things out with that when I get the chance. Though the 360 is packed up so doubt it would be any time soon. As that is the system with my crazy data on it. Though looking at that bow I dont remember if I got it, if I did am certain I did not equip it looking at what kind of stats reqs are on it.

Actually seems like its not necessary for me to check up on it personally, confirmed on the wiki that you can use items to boost your stats higher. Though if you remove said stats boosting item(s) lowering your stats under the required value the equipment with the requirement will also be removed. Which generally is how it functions in most titles with stats requirements on equipment. Not to mention would have been stupid if some equipment was worthless until the 2nd playthrough and up which ups the stats cap to base +30.

Yikes at the str/luck requirements for some of the bows. I'll just concentrate on raising my agi. I did waste 2 points on piety though :/.

Parakeetman

Yikes at the str/luck requirements for some of the bows. I'll just concentrate on raising my agi. I did waste 2 points on piety though :/.

Yeah some stuff is weird. Man that will be 2 points you will never get back too...

Its too bad the game does not have any sort of stats reset. As its always nice when titles include that.

Reminds me of the early days of Ragnarok Online when I gimped my characters with wrong stats allocation. Good times

Saphirax

Yeah some stuff is weird. Man that will be 2 points you will never get back too...

Its too bad the game does not have any sort of stats reset. As its always nice when titles include that.

Reminds me of the early days of Ragnarok Online when I gimped my characters with wrong stats allocation. Good times

I have multiple saves so at least I can regain a point, only losing an hour of progress and some gear. Shouldn't be too bad!

Shizuka

I have multiple saves so at least I can regain a point, only losing an hour of progress and some gear. Shouldn't be too bad!

If I can be honest, this isn't a friendly game to min-max. If the loss isn't to big, just go ahead and keep going. If you always reload a save for every little thing, this game will take a lot longer for something that may not make any difference in the end.

Saphirax

If I can be honest, this isn't a friendly game to min-max. If the loss isn't to big, just go ahead and keep going. If you always reload a save for every little thing, this game will take a lot longer for something that may not make any difference in the end.

It's not really a huge loss. I was running around killing weaker mobs because my Knight was recovering a life point. It's probably going to even out in the end :p.

Tohsaka

I hate these stupid PIE requirements on melee weapons.

2016-05-06-170742w4usp.jpg

Shizuka

I think you can. when I class changed one character I wasn't able to equip back his weapon and I was like ''wtf?'', then equiped all other gear he had and could equip his weapon after because he was missing one stat.

Weird, I equipped all requirements for a bow and it didn't work.

autoduelist

My lack of Vita time is making getting going in this game excruciating. I'm still freakin' rolling characters, damn having die roll stats. Once I get going I know I'd be fine with anything, but... argh. And then since it's been so long since my last session, i need to re-find key posts about class/stats, etc. Ugh.

And I gave my darn cleric fortunate, and didn't realize she should be the identifier, so i need to reroll her i guess.

Question:

Does it matter when you put points into Vit? That is, does it retro-scale max HP?

RevenWolf

So apparently Australia doesn't have the Xbox one version available, and will only be reviewing the ps vita version :(

That's really disappointing because I really wanted to play it on my Xbox :(

Tohsaka

So apparently Australia doesn't have the Xbox one version available, and will only be reviewing the ps vita version :(

That's really disappointing because I really wanted to play it on my Xbox :(

You can import a Japanese physical copy, it has English text.

ultra7k

Any tips? I'm feeling rather stuck atm, not sure what to do next.

Currently the only quest I have is to track down that machine soldier in the mines, but all the doors are 'too hot', need to cool them somehow.

Explored a bit of the underwater area, need some kind of symbol to use the transporter.

Have I overlooked something obvious?

redcrayon

Currently the only quest I have is to track down that machine soldier in the mines, but all the doors are 'too hot', need to cool them somehow.

Explored a bit of the underwater area, need some kind of symbol to use the transporter.

Have you handed over any blood shards?

Saphirax

I think you can encounter the machine in a random battle. Unless that was another lineage.

Edit: Ignore that, that was another lineage. You need an Ice Orb to open those doors. I believe the flying bug lineage drops it? You can encounter it whilst ambushing.

Top Bottom