• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STRANGER OF SWORD CITY |OT| - "We're going to need another Timmy"

I need to get my accuracy up for my melee characters. I've been doing some fights in the Forest and find them missing a lot more than they usually do.

Also, I didn't see them in the shop... But are there MP potions? Cause I've started to run into the issue of needing my Mages to basically go afk to conserve their mana.

It does helps to conserve MP for your mage in normal battles; I have mine using that mostly useless Soul Blast just to DO SOMETHING, lol. The cleric has the ability to regenerate MP and swap MP, so what I do is swap MP every now and then to keep my mage reserves up.

Incidentally, something I discovered by accident using Soul Blast - it never misses and bypasses enemy defenses, so it's actually great for hunting those butterfly flower thingies.

Gaizel is driving me nuts.
Sometimes he pops up after three turns. Three. Three is not taking "too long" in battle :|
Unfortunately he's definitely out of my league at the moment so I doubt I'll be putting a stop to his stalking anytime soon.

My inner mapper is cringing at leaving so many gaps in my map down here too. I'm tempted to swap in an additional backup cleric just so I have enough MP to blow on healing myself if I step on some of these traps intentionally.

Tell me about it. The similar Jormungand at the sea floor area also shows up around 3 rounds or so, at that point I couldn't kill even those stationary enemies fast enough for him to not show up, yeesh.

A fellow compulsive mapper eh? I've proudly stepped on every square in both
Undead Town
and
Mausoleum of Flames
, and even mapped the entire undersea area (that's enough of current riding for awhile...). Wish this game had a Float spell, lol.

hawk2025

Totally stuck.

There doesn't seem to be anywhere to go on either of the three first dungeons?

All three have a locked door or some variation of that. Map is fully explored other than said red door.

What am I missing?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Totally stuck.

There doesn't seem to be anywhere to go on either of the three first dungeons?

All three have a locked door or some variation of that. Map is fully explored other than said red door.

What am I missing?

Generally when that happens means you dont have enough crystals to progress the story. Since handing over crystals to one of the 3 faction leaders is what progresses the story.

So with the super anime art style, is it just the character portraits that change, or do the enemies change too? It's going to be a super weird contrast between the more detailed and grimy enemy designs and the cleaner and more stylised anime characters

Saphirax

So with the super anime art style, is it just the character portraits that change, or do the enemies change too? It's going to be a super weird contrast between the more detailed and grimy enemy designs and the cleaner and more stylised anime characters

Just the characters.

piggychan

Amazon.jp finally allowed me to ship to EU and it came amazingly fast. Sadly I wasn't able to select a shipping method.

4A78C86E-A136-45A4-88B9-07D15139CE89.jpg

Parakeetman

It was working for me I placed the order towards end of April.

Amazon seems to be weird about stuff with it switching on and off. Driving a friend back home in the US insane trying to get a copy lol. Or finding out how some stuff works others dont.

EDIT
Now to start scavenging around this thread for beginner tips!

Check this post. Should help a little.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202275203&postcount=557

Also insanely long post about class changing.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202184003&postcount=518

Saphirax

Got the game earlier than expected.

Got a 21 bonus roll twice but apparently I'm too trigger happy. Had to settle for 18.

redcrayon

I almost want to restart and try for 20+, but I got some nice loot from the first lineage fight, including a rare dagger D:.
How are you getting such large bonus rolls? I was seeing 5-13 or so depending on age, I might have seen a 16 once due to 'fortunate'!

Just heading into the second dungeon now, the forest mausoleum. Quite enjoying this, although I'm not sure about the hospitalisation mechanic- it just seems to slow down levelling in a game that doesn't seem to level up characters particularly fast anyway. At the moment I've got two samurai resting up, and my reserve knight taking their spot. At the point either Samurai rejoins the party, it seems like they'll probably get killed pretty quickly again. Maybe I should put all my best gear on the newcomer and have them attack from the rear while they level up a bit? It seems much more efficient to just restart from the last save if someone dies during regular exploration, which makes the mechanic a bit pointless unless you just really don't want to repeat a boss fight. I'm loving the game but have zero interest in taking the additional hours to level up ten characters rather than six, especially when the reserves are just proxies for my main crew. Maybe it will feel more interesting after class changes and characters feel more like individuals rather than just their specific class position in the party.

Hunting lineage creatures- some of the hints seem much more vague than others, but I managed to find Plant Princess easily enough. Seeing as your options for finding them are largely wander around (which you obviously do anyway) or haunt the ambush points (again, I'll be doing that a lot!) it seems like I'll find lots of them on my travels regardless. Is it mandatory to find all of them to finish the game?

I have no idea how long you guys must be rolling to get that type of bonus. I rolled around 500 times for one character (I counted) and only saw something in the mid-teens once.

Saphirax

How are you getting such large bonus rolls? I was seeing 5-13 or so depending on age, I might have seen a 16 once due to 'fortunate'!

Just heading into the second dungeon now, the forest mausoleum. Quite enjoying this, although I'm not sure about the hospitalisation mechanic- it just seems to slow down levelling in a game that doesn't seem to level up characters particularly fast anyway. At the moment I've got two samurai resting up, and my reserve knight taking their spot. At the point either Samurai rejoins the party, it seems like they'll probably get killed pretty quickly again. Maybe I should put all my best gear on the newcomer and have them attack from the rear while they level up a bit? It seems much more efficient to just restart from the last save if someone dies during regular exploration, which makes the mechanic a bit pointless unless you just really don't want to repeat a boss fight. I'm loving the game but have zero interest in taking the additional hours to level up ten characters rather than six, especially when the reserves are just proxies for my main crew. Maybe it will feel more interesting after class changes and characters feel more like individuals rather than just their specific class position in the party.

Hunting lineage creatures- some of the hints seem much more vague than others, but I managed to find Plant Princess easily enough. Seeing as your options for finding them are largely wander around (which you obviously do anyway) or haunt the ambush points (again, I'll be doing that a lot!) it seems like I'll find lots of them on my travels regardless. Is it mandatory to find all of them to finish the game?

My main character is a 99 year old dra-human :p, so the starting roll was always 10. Saw 21 twice, 18 once and 17 like 4-5 times.

I have no idea how long you guys must be rolling to get that type of bonus. I rolled around 500 times for one character (I counted) and only saw something in the mid-teens once.

Got 21 in less than a minute after I started. Overall roll time was 20~ minutes.

redcrayon

My main character is a 99 year old dra-human :p, so the starting roll was always 10. Saw 21 twice, 18 once and 17 like 4-5 times.

Got 21 in less than a minute after I started. Overall roll time was 20~ minutes.
Ah, ok, ta!

I've deliberately avoided 1LP characters on my first playthrough, but if they get that kind of bonus I'll give it a go on a future attempt

Saphirax

Ah, ok, ta!

I've deliberately avoided 1LP characters on my first playthrough, but if they get that kind of bonus I'll give it a go on a future attempt

There's no reason not to have a 1LP main character since they can't die. You just lose your money.

*smacks forehead*
Forgot that the main character can't really die. I went with a 25 year old MC.

Well...screw it. I don't want to be an old ass bastard anyway.

hawk2025

Generally when that happens means you dont have enough crystals to progress the story. Since handing over crystals to one of the 3 faction leaders is what progresses the story.

Got it, done it, had a bunch of new cutscenes.

No new areas opened though, so I think I need to find some Lineage Types that I haven't been able to and give some more blood crystals to Riu :)

Parakeetman

So Mumic shows up randomly in dungeons after the first encounter with it?

I haven't had much luck running into it so far if so.

Yeah its random from random battles or the icons on the map.

Your best bet is to keep going after the enemy symbols on the map. Faster than trying for random encounters.

Shizuka

Where are Jormungand and Tri-Color? I would think Jormungand is at the bottom of the sea, but i went everywhere and never got him to pop.

Take a very long time in battles on the last sea floor. Go for ambushes on a very specific tile for Tri-Color in M.O. Storms, where there are only butterflies.

Parakeetman

Where are Jormungand and Tri-Color? I would think Jormungand is at the bottom of the sea, but i went everywhere and never got him to pop.

Jormungand
Lv 28~
is at the depth of 1000 appears at random during battles.

Tri-Color
Lv 35~ also has 1HK ability so good luck lol
you need to obtain an item before it will appear. Black Butterfly Gem or something. Then you can get it to appear from the butterfly nest hiding locations. There are different location at different dungeons. The trigger is the item and not a specific dungeon. From there its just using one of the special butterfly ambush points.

General info, will be up to you for the most part to find the exact locations, but coordinates are provided.
Mines (Fire area)
South East Ambush Point X13Y10 (far back of hidden door)

Underwater Dungeon
Depth1000 X12Y16

Storms
No idea what the localized name is but its a section that opens up after defeating Charon X15Y10

Ice
Dragon Shrine? (no idea what the localized name is either) Back Shrine X13Y01 (far back of hidden door)

Parakeetman

Awesome, another fight I have time to buff on before the boss comes, those are the best.

Generally for the most part you should already have the buffs on if you are using the "Force" whatever skills which put on permanent buffs that last until you leave the dungeon.

autoduelist

Well, you can get anything on the first roll. Statistics are like that.

That said, based on maybe 4 thousand rolls I'd say the odds of getting even a +7 (on top of your age base) is 1 in a thousand at best. I never saw anything higher than +7.

I wouldn't recommend anyone go for higher than +6, and personally, I'd settle at +4 having been through what I've been through.

ultra7k

Since the water area is magic restricted, would it be better to slog through with a full physical (rangers in the back) party and drop my two mages back off at base?

cj_iwakura

Went with Fighter | Knight | Samurai / Wizard(MC) | Priest | Ranger. All made from scratch, they can keep their premades.

Ephidel

The first time I rolled my main (at age77, so with a minimum roll of 10) it took a few hours to get a roll of 20.
Then I decided to restart (don't ask) and it took me another few hours to get something I was happy with, mostly because I kept rolling past things by mistake. I saw, roughly, something in the 20range once every ~45 minutes of rolling (a 20, a 22, a 21) and finally managed to get enough reflex control to stop on a roll of 25.
In that time I saw one 19, no 18s, and maybe three 17s.

Rolling my team (as age19, so a minimum roll of 3) took another couple of hours. I got a roll of 10+ once (11, as it happens). I got a roll of 9 twice (but only kept one of them because I rolled past one by mistake), and a couple of eights. I saw a lot of 7s but only on the character I eventually rolled 11 for. Getting 7+ for the remainder of my party sucked.

For my backup characters I only tried for rolls of 6. That was far more manageable, only took about ~30 mins to roll all of them.

I actually checked my time when I was "done" and it was on 5hrs 37 or so :|

Since the water area is magic restricted, would it be better to slog through with a full physical (rangers in the back) party and drop my two mages back off at base?
If you have Rangers of a decent level, probably.

Went with Fighter | Knight | Samurai / Wizard(MC) | Priest | Ranger. All made from scratch, they can keep their premades.

I'm using Ninja(MC) | Ninja | Fighter / Ranger | Cleric | Wizard at the moment.
It works surprisingly well :)
(Well, the Cleric could be doing better but that's because he's statted for what I intend him to be rather than what he is. He's passable, though)

A fellow compulsive mapper eh? I've proudly stepped on every square in both
Undead Town
and
Mausoleum of Flames
, and even mapped the entire undersea area (that's enough of current riding for awhile...). Wish this game had a Float spell, lol.
Absolutely! I need to see those maps completed :D

Shizuka

Should I keep a 19 bonus for my main character? Starting a new game and I want to abuse this system, my first playthrough was mostly 3-5 bonus points for the characters.

Parakeetman

Pretty much. Or bring along a dancer for their multi item use ability.

You may need a mage to cast magic weapon though, since you'll be bumping into a lot of water sprites there. Unless your physical members have weapons with magic enchantment.

Mages do help a lot in the next dungeon,
Mausoleum of Ice
, which is skill restricted.

Generally these two dungeons aren't bad though... your respective disabilities are factored into the fights and bosses, so most of the stuff in there are pushovers.

The first time I rolled my main (at age77, so with a minimum roll of 10) it took a few hours to get a roll of 20.
Then I decided to restart (don't ask) and it took me another few hours to get something I was happy with, mostly because I kept rolling past things by mistake. I saw, roughly, something in the 20range once every ~45 minutes of rolling (a 20, a 22, a 21) and finally managed to get enough reflex control to stop on a roll of 25.
In that time I saw one 19, no 18s, and maybe three 17s.

Rolling my team (as age19, so a minimum roll of 3) took another couple of hours. I got a roll of 10+ once (11, as it happens). I got a roll of 9 twice (but only kept one of them because I rolled past one by mistake), and a couple of eights. I saw a lot of 7s but only on the character I eventually rolled 11 for. Getting 7+ for the remainder of my party sucked.

For my backup characters I only tried for rolls of 6. That was far more manageable, only took about ~30 mins to roll all of them.

I actually checked my time when I was "done" and it was on 5hrs 37 or so :|

Holy crap, dude. My thumb would fall off iff I sat there rolling for nearly 6 hours. I have nowhere near the patience for that.

hawk2025

...I just found out about the auto-move by using the map, 12 hours in.

Why.

Still stuck: Need two more Blood Crystals to give to Riu, can't seem to find lineage types anywhere.

sheaaaa

Rumours that the PC release will be a port of the Vita version. Is that inferior in any way to the Xbox One release?

Parakeetman

Rumours that the PC release will be a port of the Vita version. Is that inferior in any way to the Xbox One release?

If you consider the brilliant idea of porting a vita version to a larger screen then yes it will obviously be inferior.

There are 2 obvious choices. The PC version which is basically the same thing as the 360 version or the Xbox One version. Seeing how someone else who could access the Steam page says that the Oxijiyen "new" art was present in screenshots then more than likely its the XBO version.

sheaaaa

If you consider the brilliant idea of porting a vita version to a larger screen then yes it will obviously be inferior.

There are 2 obvious choices. The PC version which is basically the same thing as the 360 version or the Xbox One version. Seeing how someone else who could access the Steam page says that the Oxijiyen "new" art was present in screenshots then more than likely its the XBO version.

Oh okay, so it seems likely that it is the XBO version that will go on Steam? I haven't been following that closely!

Saphirax

Should I keep a 19 bonus for my main character? Starting a new game and I want to abuse this system, my first playthrough was mostly 3-5 bonus points for the characters.

Yes. Unless you relish the possibility of rerolling for hours to get 20+.

Parakeetman

Oh okay, so it seems likely that it is the XBO version that will go on Steam? I haven't been following that closely!

No idea as unless NISA announces something as to what version it is based off of folks will never know. But from a dev standpoint those would be realistically the two potential versions.

Parakeetman

Does perma death mean i can't even reload a save if a character dies?

Yes you can reload. Just know that saving is only possible back at the main base and not while dungeon crawling. Therefore you might lose a good chunk of progress depending on your last save.

No saving in dungeons in short.

Ephidel

Still stuck: Need two more Blood Crystals to give to Riu, can't seem to find lineage types anywhere.
Check your wanted list to see which ones you're missing (Triangle -> Info -> Wanted Lineages). They're listed by zone so you'll know where to look for them, and clicking on the picture will give you more information (like the trick needed to make Mukabu appear).

Top Bottom