• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

Sayah

I should have just gone to trials mode rather than spending all that time in practice. I'm finally getting some of the moves and combos down. Parrying supers is very very hard. I thought I was pressing forward at the right times but I guess not. :/

As someone who played every SF title extensivley but SF3, I have to say that I can see why this was the least popular SF title. I am enjoying it, but the unproportionate amount of Dark Stalker style characters (freaks) doesn't do the game any justice for those who aren't used to it. The soundtrack lacks personality for each stage and character as they lack any standout themes (I guess those days are long gone) and seem like generic tracks that are almost interchangeable with any character. The prerendered SUV that is sitting on the ground at a funky angle (kinda floating) and takes no change in sides or body position to take out is the worst car bonus stage in SF.

I've always been a fan of the animation and backgrounds. It's an incredible amount of work, that's for sure. The gameplay itself is great as well. I still prefer SF4, but being the SF fan I am, I will pick this up tomorrow (360). There is still a lot of mystery for me with this game. So excited that I can finally sit down and play it properly after all these years.

Well that's my SF3 review. Welcome to 1999, right?

Ok, I think its time for me to jump out. My already questionable skill level is dipping into the negatives as I get sleep lol

Good games gaf, as always.

hiryu2015

I had a great time playing online winning at least 5 ranked matches. I even played a lobby for awhile which was amusing while I cooked dinner. I'll have to play in this room next time.

I also unlocked the original music, I just had to hear the original beats! (...i see you in the air when I make you back-flip)

Dark Octave said:
I am enjoying it, but the unproportionate amount of Dark Stalker style characters (freaks) doesn't do the game any justice for those who aren't used to it. The soundtrack lacks personality for each stage and character as they lack any standout themes (I guess those days are long gone) and seem like generic tracks that are almost interchangeable with any character.

Weird, I like the strange character designs. I kinda don't care for "boring" or plain looking characters. I like the underdog, the alternative, and I'm like that with a lot of my interests I guess.

As for the music, to each his own, but I can't see how Hugo's theme is bad or doesn't fit him. Same with Elena. I'll admit the rest I really don't associate with characters but I think they're good songs all the same.

vulva

ggs everyone on the stream (tiimmay here). Before you all accuse me of tier whoring with Chun, I've played her since World Warrior. I'm thinking about learning Urien for 3 though. I never really played this game much, so I'm excited to finally get in to it

Spent most of my time trying to learn some Ken and Alex combos. I think I have a few down, but I'll be damned if I can ever intentionally pull them off when fighting a real opponent.

What's the deal with the UI looking like shit? The presentation could have been a lot better. Blegh. The border, the font, the way the endings and intros are squished, the character select screen looking like a collage of whatever the fuck. Really. This is all very simple stuff that could have been taken care of in less than a day. Also, I would have liked separate music and sound effects volume options...

d0c_zaius

Mechanized said:
Are you kidding me? That shit is my jam right now. Gets me pumped before every match. :D

on the subject of the music, most of the remixed tracks are pretty nice as standalone remixes. If there is a way to select which classic and which remixed tracks play, plus the menu track, then I can overlook no unlockable classic intro and call this the best thing ever.

EDIT: actually you can select the music but they call it "global" for some reason

It took a couple hours to adjust to the differences of how it plays vs. other versions (dc, arcade,ps2) but the training mode and other extras are soo good.

shinshoryuken said:
input lags..

I used to own a Capcom impress cabinet and CPS3 third strike arcade board.
Wait for the 360 version. There have been reports of input lag in the PSN version from Fubar and others.

d0c_zaius

_dementia said:
Wait for the 360 version. There have been reports of input lag in the PSN version from Fubar and others.

I actually think it could be more of an issue with peoples tv's.

I dont usually have a problem with input lag in any games, but depending on the monitor and resolution being used at work today, lag would be noticeable or completely gone. We have a number of different monitor types, so it was easy to check.

3 of us noticed immediately when the issue was gone. I think its either going to take some research on capcoms part, or people figuring out on their own what combination of elements is giving it this issue. If the xbox version comes out tomorrow with people saying the same thing, then we'll know for sure.

On one tv we had input lag until we accidentally set it to 480p, and it played perfectly.

.la1n

patrickthehedgehog said:
Spent most of my time trying to learn some Ken and Alex combos. I think I have a few down, but I'll be damned if I can ever intentionally pull them off when fighting a real opponent.

What's the deal with the UI looking like shit? The presentation could have been a lot better. Blegh. The border, the font, the way the endings and intros are squished, the character select screen looking like a collage of whatever the fuck. Really. This is all very simple stuff that could have been taken care of in less than a day. Also, I would have liked separate music and sound effects volume options...

Although I do agree with what you have said, it is not quite easy as you think to make the changes you are asking for. Yes this could have been something addressed at the beginning of it's development but honestly for the vast majority of the target audience, the UI and aesthetics are at the far bottom of the list, online matches and accuracy to original code is vastly more important and obviously the team working on this game realized that, for a capcom port this is something I can give nothing but praise for.

_dementia said:

Really? If so that's messed up as hell.

Also, I hit ranked, and nothing happens. This the same for everybody, should I just join player lobbies?

Snapshot King said:
Really? If so that's messed up as hell.

Also, I hit ranked, and nothing happens. This the same for everybody, should I just join player lobbies?
Takes me like 5 mins to get in a ranked game. Methinks my ps3 and router aren't playing nice.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
shinshoryuken said:
Im very familiar with input lag and such...I was one of the first to discover the input lag difference between ps3 and 360.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...-is-the-definitive-answer.99923/#post-4148228

I was having trouble with a couple of the parry trials in the demo that I really shouldn't have. I thought maybe I was crazy but input lag would be a good explanation.

Is this something that can be patched or worked around or is it just how it has to be on PS3?

.la1n said:
Although I do agree with what you have said, it is not quite easy as you think to make the changes you are asking for. Yes this could have been something addressed at the beginning of it's development but honestly for the vast majority of the target audience, the UI and aesthetics are at the far bottom of the list, online matches and accuracy to original code is vastly more important and obviously the team working on this game realized that, for a capcom port this is something I can give nothing but praise for.

Oh, I understand. I just see things like this that seem like they should be so simple to notice along the way in development and no one bothers to fix them. The whole SFIII series is just so spot on and beautiful that it's jarring to see it next to...whatever is going on here. Just a little bit more love would have gone a long way for this game.

riskVSreward said:
Ah.

So if the lag turns out to be a PS3 exclusive, do we blame Capcom or Sony?

No one is to blame. Its an excellent port, bravo to capcom...it is just the nature of the PS3 to have input lag. Can only wait and see how the 360 turns out.

If they both have input lag compare to the CP3 version...o'wells just got to get used to it.

its not like everybody has a CP3 arcade board to compare anyways, majority of the people will be playing 3rd strike for the first time on the ps3/360.

hypernima

Banned
TomcatTheLion said:
Attempting to learn everything I can about Elena. I've always been interested in maining her in the past but hardly ever got the chance. Hoping to put in at least a few hours of training before going online and getting owned lol

I use Elena if you wanna versus sometime let me know :D

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Stream was pretty hype. Thank everybody for tuning in. I did better in the game than I thought I would. Probably going to stream again tonight.

dock

I'm in Europe, and I don't see this available. I pre-ordered, but it doesn't show as available to download. What am I doing wrong? (PS3)

(oh, it's not out in Europe yet...)

n3ss

aka acr0nym
FindMyFarms said:
Also Floe came up with some pretty dumb combos for these trials....you'd think he woulda put in practical ones!

I agree... I have no idea how to do the Ryu glitch: throw into Super Art 2....

The Urien ones were just as bad...

simtmb

Sigh, do we really have to wait for the actual PSN store to update for this game to become available?

Why the hell did i pre-order this, if only i remembered i had some funds in my JP account X(

It's the 24th and 5pm here in AUS, its even written on PSN store "Available 24th" yet afaik, the actual store is going to update tomorrow night. =/

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm sure it's been mentioned a million times by now.. but they didn't get the music transitions between rounds correct. It seems to just cut right into the next track, but it used to take a few moments and flow nicely between the tracks.

Kadey said:
Stream was pretty hype. Thank everybody for tuning in. I did better in the game than I thought I would. Probably going to stream again tonight.
You going to leave PSN and go stream only 360 side. PSN crew misses you <3

Dark Octave said:
As someone who played every SF title extensivley but SF3, I have to say that I can see why this was the least popular SF title. I am enjoying it, but the unproportionate amount of Dark Stalker style characters (freaks) doesn't do the game any justice for those who aren't used to it.
Remember characters like Q and Twelve weren't in the game until it's 3rd iteration, so it wasn't originally so freak-heavy.

I do agree though. I really don't like Gill as a character design, he's way too out there. Twelve is also one step too far and would be more at home in a Dark Stalkers game. This is all purely design-based though, they're not bad characters just don't seem very SF-like.

Q gets a free pass because he's so god damn awesome :)

G0DLIKE

simtmb said:
Sigh, do we really have to wait for the actual PSN store to update for this game to become available?

Why the hell did i pre-order this, if only i remembered i had some funds in my JP account X(

It's the 24th and 5pm here in AUS, its even written on PSN store "Available 24th" yet afaik, the actual store is going to update tomorrow night. =/

Yeah, I'd like to know what's going on here.

Top Bottom