• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

JJD

Fersis said:
As you may know this is my first time playing 3rd Strike so im pretty scrubby... but damn if the netcode isnt godlike! I only played a match against a dood in USA and it was butter smooth!

Every FG should use it @_@

How fast's your connection Fersis?

RS4-

Spirit of Jazz said:
My flow-chat Alex is amazing:

Build meter > Slash Elbow > Strong Stun Gun Headbutt = Victory

Anybody on Xbox up for some games?

If you're up for games, I'll send you an invite through the GAF 3S thing

zlatko said:
So before I dip on 360 I would like some impressions from GAF if anything is better/worse than the PS3 version from yesterday.

Are the super bars lengths distorted on 360 as well?
How's the online?

Nickrox (from warning a huge podcast) twitted that he noticed/felt some input lag on the 360 version as well.

BadWolf

V_Arnold said:
Is it a bad idea to go with Alex?

He's good and fun imo.

Quick tips:

EX elbow is your friend, you can stuff and punish a lot of things.

You can setup a 50/50 wake up game with the stomp.

back+HP is your anti-parry move.

down+HP can make for a good anti-air.

Standing HP is an excellent overhead.

hiro4

Owensboro said:
I. Suck. At. This. Game.

Played around for about 2-3 hours last night doing trials and playing the computer (because I couldn't get online matches consistently). I couldn't even get past the 5th or 6th match in Arcade mode. The only way that I almost won my only online match was because I was able to connect with Hugo's Gigas breaker (Thank you to everyone for the buffering during a jump tips). That alone made me happy, as I most definately flexed (and then ate a combo) after doing it.

Who wants to teach me how to play? I also found out last night that I suck equally with Hugo, Dudley, Q, Oro, and Ibuki. Them trials are hard man!

Practice practice practice.
Also choosing a more easier character can help a LOT.
I found Hugo, Q, Oro one of the more difficult characters to learn.

Ryu, Ken or Sean are pretty easy characters to learn, especially if you already have SF experience. They haven't changed much over the years.

Though I have to say, when I started playing this game on the Dreamcast 10 years ago the first time I could beat Gill was with Ibuki. And that was after numerous tries with Ryu and Ken.

Lyonaz

Boo, can't add funds in my PSN wallet, getting damn error notices. Blegh and I have $50 too spend. Will try again later.

Anyways anyone know the timing on the parries in the demo, the 3rd till 5th ones? Can only parry first 2 hits consistently.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
JJD said:
How fast's your connection Fersis?
Worst connection ever... 1Mb -__-¡

Hopefully in a couple of months im gonna get a 6Mb connection.

CPS2

Plays great in player matches... I still have a few complaints that I thought wouldn't have been a problem...

-Ranked is completely pointless. There's no way to filter it to my country, and all the matches I tried were overseas people, unplayable.

-Red dots, green dots, blah just show me the ping in numbers.

-I can't filter player matches to my country, or prevent people from overseas from joining player matches. This is CRITICAL. It's completely unplayable with people from overseas. They should have done this.

I really don't like using friends lists and all that, and with SSF4AE I don't need to. I can go into arcade mode, turn fight request on with the same country, and I'm set. This is nowhere near that good. Ranked match in particular is clumsy, you spend minutes waiting for it to connect, then it's unplayable.

edit: another bizarre thing, I can't pick a green Urien. HP and HK are both brown... I think they might have colours mapped to controller buttons rather than commands.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
CPS2 said:
Plays great in player matches... I still have a few complaints that I thought wouldn't have been a problem...

-Ranked is completely pointless. There's no way to filter it to my country, and all the matches I tried were overseas people, unplayable.

-I can't filter player matches to my country, or prevent people from overseas from joining player matches. This is CRITICAL. It's completely unplayable with people from overseas. They should have done this.

I really don't like using friends lists and all that, and with SSF4AE I don't need to. I can go into arcade mode, turn fight request on with the same country, and I'm set. This is nowhere near that good. Ranked match in particular is clumsy, you spend minutes waiting for it to connect, then it's unplayable.
100% agreed the matchmaking options are pretty lame.

But im cool because im only gonna play with Dizzy-4U

LakeEarth

BadWolf said:
You can setup a 50/50 wake up game with the stomp.
Anyone good will just pick a direction and parry the stomp. If they parry the wrong way then they block instead.

This morning I was able to squeeze out two ranked games. My first experience with GGPO. One had a bad connection, and holy crap does it get hard to block when that happens. The other guy was just warping everywhere, the game would tell me I hit the other person but then I didn't. I'll get used to it I guess.

And twice I got hit cause I was trying to focus attack. Whoops!

Nedjoe

Neo Member
CPS2 said:

Yeah this is my main problem aswell. I just don't understand why they couldn't implement something like that. Playing overseas people in this is way better than other fighters thanks to ggpo but it still isn't great.

Jinkies!

Had the game freeze during a match last night.

Not sure what it was, but game just locked up online and then booted everybody out to main menu.

Still - I'll take it.

CPS2 said:

edit: another bizarre thing, I can't pick a green Urien. HP and HK are both brown... I think they might have colours mapped to controller buttons rather than commands.
Oh Capcom. Do their departments not speak to each other or something? Shouldn't all this shit be common sense by now?

BadWolf

LakeEarth said:
Anyone good will just pick a direction and parry the stomp. If they parry the wrong way then they block instead.

And that is when you combo, throw or command grab.

First you go for it, to let them know you can and will, and then you mix it up by pretending to charge it and then not doing it at all and going for one of the above.

Fersis

PS3 on blast:

fubarduck said:
I did the Daigo parry trial on my 3rd try on Xbox version. Not saying anything for sure but it already feels way better.

And no it wouldn't have taken me 20 minutes to do on arcade version...but the blow up was still hilarious yesterday lol :D

Im a scrub so im cool.

LosDaddie

Banned
Vespa said:
Definitely not! SF4 has a very strong community.

ShaneB said:
Not at all, very different game really. The SF 3 vs 4 thread showed the fanbase is pretty well decided on what they like. You might see a slight dip in player base, but given that 4 is so popular anyway, it won't be an issue.

Downloaded this morning and ready to go when I get home.

Add GAF 3S metatag you XBL players! (Going to be saying this a lot today, sorry in advance!)

Kadey said:
It's the opposite actually. Most top players have moved on from 3rd Strike ages ago. People still play it here and there for kicks.

AE community is amped up because of the 2012 changes being revealed yesterday. Equal amounts of smiles and tears depending on which characters they use.
The community is at it's peak thanks to EVO.

Alright, thanks! :) I haven't played SSFIV AE in a little while and thought the community would be dead after SF3 came out.

I'm glad this game is out, even if I won't play it for a while. I know it's been highly requested for a long time.

LakeEarth

BadWolf said:
And that is when you combo, throw or command grab.

First you go for it, to let them know you can and will, and then you mix it up by pretending to charge it and then not doing it at all and going for one of the above.
Yeah I get that. When you said 50/50 I assumed you meant stomp/cross-up stomp, as we saw done to great success on Kadey's stream last night.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
So best compromise on the 4:3 front has been to set it to widescreen then go to Adjust Screen and shrink in the sides as far as they can go and then hit two or three ticks up to fill in the top and bottom screen gaps. It's not perfect but it's closer than regular widescreen and there's no obnoxious sidebar text.
Another option is doing the initial shrinking and then setting your TV to 16:9 rather than Just Scan to eliminate the top/bottom gaps.

And yes, I was doing all this on the trial. Never been more sad to be broke!!

CPS2

MThanded said:
Any word on if the 360 has any noticeable input lag?

It seems ok to me. Haven't done a pepsi challenge or anything but I was parrying ok and doing combos n stuff, feels alright.

RS4-

Muchi Muchi Pink said:
Is it just me or can someone else not find a replay on 360? :p

It was working this morning when I tested it; but after a while I checked again and the server was down

MThanded said:
Any word on if the 360 has any noticeable input lag?
Nick Rox said he's experienceing some input lag, but it could be some blue shadows smoke and mirrors. ;p
He's also not playing on an LCD as he mentioned in a disclaimer.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The Take Out Bandit said:
Jinkies!

Had the game freeze during a match last night.

Not sure what it was, but game just locked up online and then booted everybody out to main menu.

Still - I'll take it.

Sounds like Mortal Kombat online. It's scaring me.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I love the trial mode, never really learned parrying outside of projectiles and obvious attacks while you're getting up.

I wish there was an indicator on whether your attempt was too early or late (or maybe there is?), some of the supers are hard for me to get the parrying started.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Fersis said:
100% agreed the matchmaking options are pretty lame.

But im cool because im only gonna play with Dizzy-4U

You can play with me once I get my PS3 fixed! Sad times.

i love SFIII and its great i dont have to set up my dreamcast for it and play with my green goblin stick.

HD SFIII + Hori VLX Real Arcade Pro = Brilliance.

Um, how are you supposed to do a charge move right after you do a jab?

Urien's first trial makes you do that...you do the jab then the next move disappears as if you were supposed to do it already. You need 2 seconds to charge them though.

Uh...

I don't get how you guys even notice the achievement text on the sides. I'm too busy trying to win the match. lol

I play in straight up arcade cabinet mode. I don't care for the clean looking filters, they don't look right.
And I never even played a 3S arcade machine before. haha

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
jetsetfluken said:

Urien's first trial makes you do that...you do the jab then the next move disappears as if you were supposed to do it already. You need 2 seconds to charge them though.

Uh...

You can punch while you charge :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
jetsetfluken said:

Uh...
Punch while charging :D

Sayah

Who is the easiest character to do combos with? Having difficulty with anyone I try to master through trials mode. Can't get past the second combo, lol.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Woke up early to download from Live and now I'm tired. :/

Is there some way to disable the 3P and 3K buttons?

Leunam

Raging Spaniard said:
You can punch while you charge :)

It's a standing strong.

Took me a few tries but I got it. Hold your down charge, go to neutral and punch and then do your up+punch. There is a very brief window for this to work.

Top Bottom