• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

Kimosabae

Banned
RS4- said:
Try short, jab, short instead (but it doesn't work on everyone)

After you get that down, just do short, short xx super. Honestly, I'd probably just say it's like doing c.mk xx super, but faster.

Yeah, I'm having problems doing both. I remember learning to do it through the Brady Guide when Anniversary Collection came out. It gave specific advise, I just forget the details. Then again, I played on pad back then :/

RS4-

Kimosabae said:
Yeah, I'm having problems doing both. I remember learning to do it through the Brady Guide when Anniversary Collection came out. It gave specific advise, I just forget the details. Then again, I played on pad back then :/

You'll get it down, you'd be surprised how quickly it'll come back to you. Can you do the c.mk xx super consistently though?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
haunts said:
use RH axe kick a lot, but you have to do axe kicks in general much much later than in SF4. name of the game is to land a knockdown with her.

remember that you can karakusa after hayates on everyone just watch out for back dash and uppercut etc.

know which SA to choose against which characters. SA1 is good vs chunli, the twins, urien..anyone you dont want to be stuck in a corner with. SA2 vs akuma is a must, can 100% stun him with basic combo.

ex oroshi is super godlike.

kara-ex fukiagi is good vs fat characters as anti air. st. mp is good vs parry happy players, just cancel into medium or light fukiage if they parry the mp.

punish blocked sweeps with hayate.

edit: wiff c. rh like an idiot over and over to build meter.

c. mk is a very good attack with her.

c.lp is good for tick throws but can be parried both low and high so be careful

Nice, thanks. Just noticed your Makoto guides on SRK too. They're pretty old, but most of that's still gonna be relevant I assume.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The style of clean-up and re-framing used in this game would work for most any OG title, including CvS2. They did seem to catch a break here in that they had so many of the original splash art and big character portraits still in storage to break out and scan at 1080p.

I suspect they probably don't have the art assets from all the classic games, but I'd be willing to see those framework assets re-drawn by an artist on the same level of quality as the new illustrations in 3SO. I don't have a fetish for very specific Japanese artists - as long as it's truly high quality and gets the spirit right, it can work.

Search for game

*no opponent found*

Search for game

*no opponent found*

Search for game

*no opponent found*

Search for game

*no opponent found*

Search for game

*no opponent found*

....well, shit.

zlatko

Banned
Mister Wilhelm said:
Search for game

*no opponent found*

Search for game

*no opponent found*

Search for game

*no opponent found*

Search for game

*no opponent found*

Search for game

*no opponent found*

....well, shit.

You forgot to add

Search for game
*opponent found, won't ready up after a minute plus, then leaves*

Search for game
* finally find an opponent who readies up, it's a red ping, and the game is a slide show*

:/

Goldenboy882

Neo Member
Thank you for the advice. I really just wanted to find a character to put a lot of work into, and also requires a lot of nimble movements from my fingers. Based on your advice I will be sure to try Ibuki, Urien and Yun.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Going to hop on in a second and scrub it up with zero-practice Ken. Playin' the role of typical XBL fodder today. :)

SolarKnight said:
Was the change in music between rounds always so obvious though? Or was there just no change in the arcade version because if it wasn't for this thread I honestly would've thought there were only one track for each character.
The shift in Ryu's theme is obvious. He always gets the best music to boot, too.

zlatko

Banned
Before I forget I should ask:

How do you do the parry challenge 9? I can do 8 to do a red parry of block, then parry, but for some reason I've only twice been about to block Q's first punch on his super, then get a red flash parry after. What's the trick to do it consistently?

How do you do Urien's stand strong into his ex "flash kick" motion move that uses down, then up with two punches ?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Correct me if I'm wrong about music but:

The arcade version switched between phase 1 and phase 2 music between rounds.

The Dreamcast / PS2 ports added "arranged" music that had 3 phases but was extremely close in composition to the arcade. When "arranged" was selected, music switched dynamically -during- the round, often hidden by switching during a hit impact sound effect.

If you've played the ports a lot and never thought to change the music from the default "arranged" you may have gotten used to it working like that.

(Sorry, I swear that's how the music did work in the ports, unless I'm hallucinating.)

qcf x2

haunts said:
try ibuki

Yeah. Ibuki is probably the 3s character of choice for the technically inclined.

I played a few matches this morning and I'm almost ready to call BS on this version being "closest to arcade perfect." I say almost because for all I know the glitches could be a GGPO thing, but there were a few wtf moments.

El Sloth said:
We'd be more effective if it weren't for all these beats in our heads.

I use Elena, haha. I use B-HK alot. It counters throws/alot of lows.

For me generally, I jump around alot (which is probably bad). She has good air normals it seems. I am basically trying to mix up between her 1 hit normals and her 2 hits ones. Going for alot of kara throws, and sticking L-MP out there looking for the hit confirm into brave dance. There is more character specific stuff, but alot of what I do depends on how I see my opponent play in the first round and I go from there.

I play her like Adon, which is why I like Adon in SF4 series, heh.

Beware Chun's low roundhouse beats her UOD.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Lost Fragment said:
Nice, thanks. Just noticed your Makoto guides on SRK too. They're pretty old, but most of that's still gonna be relevant I assume.

im using the same strats now and im 63-4 on ranked so yeah you should be ok. ;)

kissenger

Banned
henhowc said:
Can't you upload videos to youtube or something?

Yeah you can upload match vids to Youtube, but I was actually referring to the record function in training mode which lets you record an action with a dummy and set it to replay and you react to what the dummy does. MVC3 and SFIV have a mode like that. 3SOE doesn't.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So you actually get a win when your opponent drops in this game.

Too bad this game doesn't break the tradition of terrible matchmaking though. Haven't played a single fighter this gen that felt competent in that regard.

jett

D-Member
OMFG no rematch in ranked matches? why?

the fact that the matchmaking takes forever makes this a truly baffling decision.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Is there a gaf chat on psn? Could someone shoot me an invite. Armonix

I'll be online tonight.

Ferrio

Banned
jett said:

the fact that the matchmaking takes forever makes this a truly baffling decision.

There's *never* rematch in ranked matches. That's a good thing.

RS4-

jett said:

Just play player matches; there's nothing in ranked aside from a leaderboard. But that has problems too: waiting

qcf x2

kissenger said:
How are you supposed to learn set-ups, mix-ups, safe jumps, etc in this game? There is no record function like in MVC3 or SFIV.

What? It was in every console release of 3s. I'm pretty sure it's there.

Mister Wilhelm said:
Search for game

*no opponent found*

Search for game

*no opponent found*

Search for game

*no opponent found*

Search for game

*no opponent found*

Search for game

*no opponent found*

....well, shit.

This. I want my $15 back.

RS4-

jett said:
Ehh...

So I'll just be level 1 forever? :p

Lol...you do bring up a good point. I'm not sure if you get rank points in tournament mode. I couldn't check because that shit locked up on me twice, while spectating and while waiting.

Or just play people, you get "experience" from doing the challenges too

edit - nm, mistaking VP for the rank XP. I think.

yeah you get rank XP for completing challenges.

zlatko

Banned
kissenger said:
Yeah you can upload match vids to Youtube, but I was actually referring to the record function in training mode which lets you record an action with a dummy and set it to replay and you react to what the dummy does. MVC3 and SFIV have a mode like that. 3SOE doesn't.

I know there was a record feature in parry training. :p

I was writing a big diatribe about why I can't play this game anymore after 2 days but I'll keep it short:

Sometimes it takes me 5-10 minutes to find a ranked match. That could end up dropping regardless.

I main Hugo, every other player in ranked is Ken. It's like banging my head against a wall; I might get through that wall some day, but all I will end up with for my efforts is brain damage.

LakeEarth

God, GGPO might be the best thing ever when the connection is good, but I fucking hate it when the connection sucks. I'd rather have lag instead of this "you hit him, wait no you didn't, now he's behind you somehow, you parried that move, no wait now it hit you" crap.

RS4-

LakeEarth said:
God, GGPO might be the best thing ever when the connection is good, but I fucking hate it when the connection sucks. I'd rather have lag instead of this "you hit him, wait no you didn't, now he's behind you somehow, you parried that move, no wait now it hit you" crap.

Yeah; I just lost to a teleporting Alex because of lag

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
LakeEarth said:
LOL it fucks up my hit confirms with oro sooooooooooooo badly

Mechanized said:
I was writing a big diatribe about why I can't play this game anymore after 2 days but I'll keep it short:

Sometimes it takes me 5-10 minutes to find a ranked match. That could end up dropping regardless.

I main Hugo, every other player in ranked is Ken. It's like banging my head against a wall; I might get through that wall some day, but all I will end up with for my efforts is brain damage.

Play regular matches then? I mean honestly it's the same shit, unless you are wanting to flex your epeen or something

zlatko

Banned
LakeEarth said:

Yeah frames getting drops makes the game a slide show for real. Against my buddy who had a red dot to me, when he dashed, it would drop so many frames that it looked like he just teleported from spot a to spot B. Super messed up. On his wake up, I set up a tech throw situation, and he just was standing there, and I did a grab twice, and I watched my character do the throw motion and his hands go through his body twice.

Even on GGPO for PC for this game, when I did get a laggier connection it wasn't slide show, it would just freeze up, and I can deal with that much better then WTF was going on here for me today.

FallingEdge said:
which is why the daigo parry is that much more incredible.

Don't want to be a debbie downer.... but the only time chun would do an unconfirmed SA2 is to chip you out. When you know that the chun is looking for that, all you have to do is watch her and tap forward everytime you see her crouch, as she has to crouch due to the inputs of SA2. So if you look at the daigo/chun replay, it wasn't psychic at all, daigo was just tapping forward in reaction to each chun crouch he saw.

qcf x2

Mechanized said:

Stop playing ranked (until they patch it) and remember that Ken is probably the most popular SF character, and he's actually deserving of it in 3s. If we're talking about scrubs, you should be able to destroy them. They jump? Back. Breaker. Whiff an uppercut? 360 grab or wall toss --> backbreaker. Turtle? Clap like you're happy and you know it. His cr mk is fun, especially since it looks just like his cr lk.

Haunts, how are you even finding 60+ ranked matches? I gave up after 15 failed searches.

Top Bottom