• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

GrayFoxPL

Tomat said:
I want to pick this game up, but I am so terrible at fighting games...

I'm debating whether or not it'd be worth the money.

SFIII is one of those games where you have that stupid ass grin on your face even when you're raped.

oracrest

Raging Spaniard said:
Thanks a lot! The more I see it the more his huge bulging right eye is bothering the shit out of me though, I'm gonna have to fix that :|

I think if that eye had the same shadow across the top, like the other, it would look fine :)

Sephiroth, got the invite, thanks. Played a couple rounds and got beat up by Jerky. I'll be on later tonight, for sure, scraping the cobwebs off my brain.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
elohel said:
how many people here play as ken or ryu?

be honest

I play as Ken and he's the only character I'm good with. I say this unapologetically. I play Ken because I've been playing Ken since SF2 in the arcades and I don't have the mental plasticity to learn another character at this point in my life. I didn't know he was top tier in SF3:3S and now I do and I'm going to keep on playing Ken anyway. Suck it, everyone who cares!

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
hey_it's_that_dog said:
I play as Ken and he's the only character I'm good with. I say this unapologetically. I play Ken because I've been playing Ken since SF2 in the arcades and I don't have the mental plasticity to learn another character at this point in my life. I didn't know he was top tier in SF3:3S and now I do and I'm going to keep on playing Ken anyway. Suck it, everyone who cares!
*shakes fist*

I still haven't decided yet on Ken or Ryu. I know overall Ken is the better character, but I love seeing all the Japanese players pick Ryu and do some great things with him.

And to the person asking how many play Ryu or Ken? I would say probably a good amount at first (just like when SF4 first came out), but you'll get a bigger sample size as time goes on. I will say though, that shotos are IMO much more fun in SF3 than any other iteration.

I play mostly as Akuma (I've always played Akuma in Capcom's fighting games).

Anyone else think that this Street Fighter has the best music in the history of the series?

Teknoman

hey_it's_that_dog said:

Respect knuckles.

mintypixel said:

Anyone else think that this Street Fighter has the best music in the history of the series?

Yup, although SFA 2 had the best versions of classic SF themes.

mintypixel said:

SF3 overall has the best music in the series. There are character themes I prefer from NG and 2i over 3s (i.e. Ibuki's NG theme), but overall it is easily the best.

edit: I do hold a special place for SFA1 music as well. It might not be on the same level of SF3, but certain themes (Guy's) are awesome.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
*parries shaking fist*
*target combos into shinryuken*

haha, this.

I've never come to master the parry system. I just feel like I have to remember all the characters moves. Anyone else feel like this is for the more "hardcore" players?

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I play as Ken and he's the only character I'm good with. I say this unapologetically. I play Ken because I've been playing Ken since SF2 in the arcades and I don't have the mental plasticity to learn another character at this point in my life.

I used to play Ken too for some of the same reasons. Mostly because I thought I knew the character from SF2.

I switched to Remy because I felt like he had more interesting moves, even though he's lower tier, and I hate charge characters. I used to dislike TS for all the oddball characters, but now I feel like that's what makes it awesome.

mintypixel said:
haha, this.

I've never come to master the parry system. I just feel like I have to remember all the characters moves. Anyone else feel like this is for the more "hardcore" players?

It is in specific situations. The general idea of parrying a fireball isn't hard. The more you play the game the more your mind/hand-eye coordination will do things without having to think about it. For instance hit confirms, like Ken's s.MP in SA3. The timing/motion just becomes more natural.

Gaylord Sweetwood said:
It is in specific situations. The general idea of parrying a fireball isn't hard. The more you play the game the more your mind/hand-eye coordination will do things without having to think about it. For instance hit confirms, like Ken's s.MP in SA3. The timing/motion just becomes more natural.

Oh no, definitely the simple stuff. Nothing like that Chun-Li vs. Ken fight from Evo a couple of years back. That was just godly.

I do find myself doing it at random times without evening noticing it, but it'd be cool to master it.

oracrest said:
I think if that eye had the same shadow across the top, like the other, it would look fine :)

Sephiroth, got the invite, thanks. Played a couple rounds and got beat up by Jerky. I'll be on later tonight, for sure, scraping the cobwebs off my brain.

gg guys! sorry I had to go :(

How does a game called online edition have such awful online play? I gotta wait forever for a match then when its over I cant rematch. And the player match is automatically endless battle.

El Sloth

Banned
GG's to ShaneB, SolarKingtR, DarkGigyas, RS4, Tobe1, ShinMikhail, and Max Cool.

Hopefully next time we can actually get Tournament mode to work.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
LOL damn it guys. If you want a chat room invite send a friend request. Just sending me pm's or msg's on psn doesn't help person has to be on my friends list for one

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Ive played with Ryu pretty much all my life, then when I got to SF IV I realized that I was just getting bored and not really getting a new experience out of the game.

So yeah, now I try to branch out and expand. Its been a lot more fun since :)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Raging Spaniard said:
Ive played with Ryu pretty much all my life, then when I got to SF IV I realized that I was just getting bored and not really getting a new experience out of the game.

So yeah, now I try to branch out and expand. Its been a lot more fun since :)
Did you do what most people do and when you say branch out you just mean changed to ken or akuma? jk :p

ha1f

Me and a friend just ran into this fun bug:

11%2B-%2B1

I knew I was going to be in trouble when I was going to play Farms. Maybe I should have left the GGPO setting at 2. Zero is just asking for teleport fighters 3 =P

ggs

hsin

Banned
Gaylord Sweetwood said:
I still haven't decided yet on Ken or Ryu. I know overall Ken is the better character, but I love seeing all the Japanese players pick Ryu and do some great things with him.

And to the person asking how many play Ryu or Ken? I would say probably a good amount at first (just like when SF4 first came out), but you'll get a bigger sample size as time goes on. I will say though, that shotos are IMO much more fun in SF3 than any other iteration.

I started off with Ryu when I was first learning because his normals and command moves (eg. fwd+HP) were pretty straightforward and beginner friendly whereas Ken's felt a bit awkward (eg. accidentally throwing out fake roundhouses, standing MK as anti-air instead of HK, etc.) But I stuck with him for his combos, speed and just his stylish animation :p.

Anyway, I've got a modest Ken and I'm not ashamed to use him. The only other character besides Ryu and Ken that I love to break out is Elena for her tricks!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
_dementia said:
My Q is giga shit. Any strats?
back + MP as anti-air (good on crossup attempts), LP Slaps as well. crouching LK to grab, close LP to grab, jumping Fierce Kick is awesome as hell--throws off timing, almost can be used as an empty jump up close then grab. crouching FP catches people cuz they don't expect it, use sparingly. Close MK is your friend, so is standing MK as a stuffer.

Gaylord Sweetwood said:
3S just makes sense to me. Everything in the game engine works just how I'd expect it to: throw range, the timing for cancels, the parry window, everything. The game just has this great feel to it.

I hate how almost everytime i'm trying to do Crouch Strong XX DP, I end up getting Super.

For Elena trials combo 5 (which I did complete by other means) pisses me off.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Zombie James said:
What do you mean? Cancelling?
23623 counts as 236236. See Cloudius's post above. I gotta use negative edge or something to get SRK instead of super consistently.

ElFly

hey_it's_that_dog said:

I used to play Ken in SF2, because his kick grab (jigoku guruma says google) was better for putting the opponent on the corner, or getting out of it.

I play Ken because I've played Ken since SFII. I play Ryu for the same reason, combined with this being my favorite version of Ryu (side kick FTW). Despite this, my main is Alex because he's to date the only grappler I've ever actually liked out of Capcom.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This might be a dumb question (about the PS3 version), but would using a wired PS2 controller through a USB adapter reduce input lag compared to the DS3 bluetooth connection? Or is any perceived input lag I have going on probably due to my TV?

Tobe

hey_it's_that_dog said:
This might be a dumb question (about the PS3 version), but would using a wired PS2 controller through a USB adapter reduce input lag compared to the DS3 bluetooth connection? Or is any perceived input lag I have going on probably due to my TV?

im pretty sure that wireless controllers have some kind of lag so yeah your are better off with the ps2 controller

Imm0rt4l

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I notice no difference between ds2>usb and ds3.

Top Bottom