• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Rummy Bunnz said:
It's also a real shame there's no PC version of 3SO, cuz I'm pretty sure these matchmaking issues either wouldn't be present or would have been fucking patched by now. It's awful that devs keep shipping busted games, but at this point I'm more frustrated with the console makers for approving them. And then we have to wait forever for patches to pass QA again. Why didn't they catch this stuff the first time through?
I've been thinking on it, and I'm pretty sure every single 1-v-1 console game I've played this generation has had terrible matchmaking at launch (frequent connection failure messages, limited user options, etc). I'm beginning to suspect that these issues are due in part because of the online services' regulations, not in spite of them.

Xevren

I really hope that they do come out with a PC version at some point. I'd play the hell out of it mainly to practice with when I'm bored at work. Doubt they have any plans but here's hoping.

Sixfortyfive said:
I've been thinking on it, and I'm pretty sure every single 1-v-1 console game I've played this generation has had terrible matchmaking at launch (frequent connection failure messages, limited user options, etc). I'm beginning to suspect that these issues are due in part because of the online services' regulations, not in spite of them.
Oh, definitely. Microsoft's quickmatch/lobby standard is shit and really doesn't work for a lot of genres. People keep (rightfully) trashing Capcom but matchmaking issues like this have been kinda common this gen, so at this point I'm more frustrated with the console makers than anyone else.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Do people really pay money for colors in a fighting game? Unique costumes, fine, different art. But just clicking the bucket in paint and choosing a new color for some pixels and boom, $3? Really? Again, costumes I get because they can change the look of the character but does anyone playing 3s actively notice the color of their opponent's shorts?

Vespa

I don't agree with it when it's already part of the production plan for new games like blazblue and on paper you're paying money for what amounts to something that require zero effort. The cheap price of 3sOE and the fact I've been playing it for 10 years or so is how I justify such a purchase to myself..

That said, holy Urien crotch those colours are 99% garbage! They straight up look like bad mugen edits *shudders*. I'm not sure I could buy this especially considering I'd have to quit out to change sets thanks to the 'amazing' interface design.

Ryu colours Sean is tempting though..

I would really like the option to set the trials to X amount of attempts or just to "Repeat" instead of perform once and move on or exit. Exiting is an inconvenience and merely doing something once doesn't help me master the input.

Trials also need a BlazBlue style demonstration where the CPU shows you how the move is performed. It's something all fighting games needs to have since VF4 first did it. :\

Ignoring those issues, game is still a ton of fun. I need to build a new stick for it.

The Take Out Bandit said:
I would really like the option to set the trials to X amount of attempts or just to "Repeat" instead of perform once and move on or exit. Exiting is an inconvenience and merely doing something once doesn't help me master the input.

Trials also need a BlazBlue style demonstration where the CPU shows you how the move is performed. It's something all fighting games needs to have since VF4 first did it. :\

Ignoring those issues, game is still a ton of fun. I need to build a new stick for it.
VF4 also wins because it had on-screen visual stick and button indicator. That was rad.

worldrevolution said:
Do people really pay money for colors in a fighting game? Unique costumes, fine, different art. But just clicking the bucket in paint and choosing a new color for some pixels and boom, $3? Really? Again, costumes I get because they can change the look of the character but does anyone playing 3s actively notice the color of their opponent's shorts?
They won't notice unless they buy them too. The alt colors are only visible to those who own them, LOL

This is my first Street Fighter game, and boy do I suck. I've been playing with Elena, and getting better. Holy shit at every one picking fucking Ken every match.

Woody Invincible said:
This is my first Street Fighter game, and boy do I suck. I've been playing with Elena, and getting better. Holy shit at every one picking fucking Ken every match.
Ken has always been a popular character, and he's quite good in this game. It's to be expected.

_dementia said:
VF4 also wins because it had on-screen visual stick and button indicator. That was rad.

IIRC Sega has a patent on some of those training mode details. Which might explain why other companies don't make use of them.

This is a recollection from back in the Saturn vs. PS days of Sega and Namco fighting game cold war escalation.

ShinobiFist said:
Word. I stated numerous times how CAPCOM fucked up simple things. I can't even set the DUMMY in training mode to human. Doesn't even have a option to display your inputs as well. The inconsistency of EX moves not coming out is fucking annoying. I have to manually setup private slots to have a open 3 or 4 player room. At least the banning of characters option is nice.

After playing so many fighters it is just that 3rd strike requires very precise inputs and timing where as games like SF4 or CVS are a bit more forgiving.

ShaneB

I love 3S, but man, yeah, I certainly hope they're listening and aware that stuff needs major fixing and alterations.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Those are some fuuuugly colors, will not buy.

Also, 3 dollars? You gotta be kidding.

Ifrit

I wouldn't use those colors even if they were free

I like to stick to the original colors, one of the features I hate from Super Turbo

KageMaru

DoA4 also had an awesome training mode. Using the Exercise option in the training displayed the move on the screen until you performed it, then it would move on to the next move, and so on. Running through this a few times was a great way to become familiar with the characters.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
ARXIN said:

PSA: Instead of spending 3 Dollars on these middling costume colors, why not go and purchase KoF XIII, and try it's fantastic Color Edit Mode, included as part of the game?

You'll be able to personally make colors that look a LOT better than some of the stuff they have on hand here!

I'm normally not too hard on stuff like this, but some of them really do look horrid. Which is really suprising, as SFIII has fantastic use of color, overall!

I guess there were trying to remake many classic costumes, and they did do a nice job on some tributes. Maybe it's the fact they used filtered sprite for the images too, but many of them look washed out, or like someone failed to judge the gradients properly, thereby losing much of the details...

I really would have expected this to cost 80 points, too. With the restrictions placed on them (Can't be seen by those who didn't purchase the content, and can't be seen in replays, if I remember right), it really seems like it's a bit overpriced.

---
Oh yeah, and the fact you can't make the training dummy "Human", is one of the worse exclusions I've seen in a fighting game ever, haha. You could do this on the previous ports, right? HOW DID THEY MISS THAT?!?!?!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I'll take your not accepting my PSN invite as a declaration of fear.

You saw Kadey one move wonder my Oro and fear my skills! :p

PS3 has been broken for 3 weeks, lol. My 60 gig overheated and killed the hard drive, yesterday I installed a 500 gig hard drive and now I have to deal with some cooling issues 60 gigs have. Should be back online late this week.

Raging Spaniard said:
PS3 has been broken for 3 weeks, lol. MY 60 gig overheated and killed the hardrive, yesterday I installed a 500 gig hard drive and now I have to deal with some cooling issues 60 gigs have. Should be back online late this week.

LIKELY EXCUSE!

Sorry to hear you're experiencing WorstGen difficulties. Awful.

zlatko

Banned
WTF @ those colors. :/ Akuma seemed to have lucked out the best on getting some cool ones, but a lot of the rest of the cast got shafted.

Not worth it as there isn't a color in there more appealing than the ones I am using for my characters. (Black Urien, Tokido Akuma)

I still cringe that DLC for this game came out before a patch...

Skilletor

But if they showed you how to do it, how would you ever figure out that, in order to hit Yang's last trial, you had to be in the corner and hit them JUST SO, for the combo to work?

Frustration is part of the fun!

...sigh. Fucking trials. How the hell do you do Ken's? NOT FUN

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
SAB CA said:
PSA: Instead of spending 3 Dollars on these middling costume colors, why not go and purchase KoF XIII, and try it's fantastic Color Edit Mode, included as part of the game?

You'll be able to personally make colors that look a LOT better than some of the stuff they have on hand here!

I'm normally not too hard on stuff like this, but some of them really do look horrid. Which is really suprising, as SFIII has fantastic use of color, overall!

I guess there were trying to remake many classic costumes, and they did do a nice job on some tributes. Maybe it's the fact they used filtered sprite for the images too, but many of them look washed out, or like someone failed to judge the gradients properly, thereby losing much of the details...

I really would have expected this to cost 80 points, too. With the restrictions placed on them (Can't be seen by those who didn't purchase the content, and can't be seen in replays, if I remember right), it really seems like it's a bit overpriced.

---
Oh yeah, and the fact you can't make the training dummy "Human", is one of the worse exclusions I've seen in a fighting game ever, haha. You could do this on the previous ports, right? HOW DID THEY MISS THAT?!?!?!

While I'm a sucker for anything Hugo and will probably be getting the color pack, I also have KoF XIII already pre-ordered at Gamestop and owe only like $10 on it. Can't wait--it does indeed look incredible.

And that training mode thing--wasn't the setting always "CPU" if you wanted to spar? I don't ever recall a "Human" setting in Anniversary Collection.

LakeEarth said:
I see people who are passed level 20 on the ranked bar and I'm thinking "how do you have the patience?"
i'm Rank 9 now and It didn't even take long, average time when searching for a match is about 1 min or 2

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
LakeEarth said:
I see people who are passed level 20 on the ranked bar and I'm thinking "how do you have the patience?"

hey sorry about last night, meant to start a private room again and then invited you to some wack ass one full of random scrubs instead. also, that was my boys' Q you played. corner trap FTW.

3S Owners: Stay or Fold?

I guess player matches work alright. this was a super lame release. "Arcade perfect" and "Online Edition" were the two mantras leading up to it and this is neither. but I guess I will stick with player matches

Mike M

Nick N
Is there actually any hope that a patch will ever come out to fix shit like input displays and turning off the challenges display in 4:3 mode?

I can maybe (MAYBE) see them patching the fact that options don't affect arcade mode since that is inexcusable as shit (Though I still half suspect they did it to incentivize buying the Gill unlock), but the rest seems like if they cared enough to patch relatively trivial stuff like that'd, they'd have cared enough to not need a patch in the first place...

(Edit; WTF, only half my post went through)

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Mike M said:
Is there actually any hope that a patch will ever come out to fix shit like input displays and turning off the challenges display in 4:3 mode?

that's the bane of my existence right there. i've settled on setting my xbox to 480p and "Normal" screen setting just so I can get it without that sidebar text garbage and even then, while it's fine width-wise, i still have to tweak vertical height--if i have it fill top and bottom, it's stretched still. ridiculous.

LakeEarth

bob_arctor said:
hey sorry about last night, meant to start a private room again and then invited you to some wack ass one full of random scrubs instead. also, that was my boys' Q you played. corner trap FTW.
Yeah I was next to fight, accidentally hit A and suddenly was 6th in line. I was so mad I just left the room.

AwShucks

Smision said:

I guess player matches work alright. this was a super lame release. "Arcade perfect" and "Online Edition" were the two mantras leading up to it and this is neither. but I guess I will stick with player matches

Stay 100%. It's Third Strike and the ranked matches can be bad, but I usually just turn it off and come back later. I've had some good runs when I find matches within 30 seconds and I'm just playing nonstop. I understand some people can't find matches no matter what and I really want the patch to be put out for those people plus for the general issue that happens for everyone sometimes.

And my matches have been 90% quality, no lag matches. So yeah.

Raging Spaniard

Id like to point out how silly it is when people say Ryus anatomy in SF IV is ape like while in here

image.php

His shoulder alone is BIGGER THAN HIS HEAD. Im not complaining, Im just saying, its silly.

-PXG-

Raging Spaniard said:
Id like to point out how silly it is when people say Ryus anatomy in SF IV is ape like while in here

image.php

His shoulder alone is BIGGER THAN HIS HEAD. Im not complaining, Im just saying, its silly.

Dat HGH

I sent that email this morning

ShaneB

Smision said:

Stay. At its core it's still 3S and fun as all hell and a game people have been playing for years.

A patch/update will be great to fix all the annoyances of the interface and odd design choices, but I'm happy being in player lobbies and just have a fun time.

Smision said:

This is offline edition for me. Fun game for local play.

V_Arnold

Raging Spaniard said:

image.php

Not to mention that with a lot of animations, people's head deform in a way that was exactly mimicked by SFIV - and it was stylish there, and is stylish here also. Of course it is silly to accept one and hate the other, and then pretend like THAT was the reason of dislike...

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Smision said:

Stay. As in for eternity. Game of the Forever. No matter where it pops up next--and no doubt it will some years down the line--I will be there, in my mid-forties by then, straight Gigasssssssing the shit outta fools.

zlatko

Banned
I would have said fold if I hadn't gotten on today just for the hell of it.

For me things are much improved. Founds fights in ranked every 30 seconds tops, and only had 2 unable to join sessions. Tons of green and yellow, and only 2 were red and those were my only 2 laggy games.

Youtube uploading finally works, and so does the replay channel.

Pretty much fixed a good deal of my complaints without an actual patch it seems. :)

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjluAWAc6js&feature=channel_video_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOAWHX38KPw&feature=channel_video_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOXNwGDT5WE&feature=channel_video_title

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
I haven't run into too many Kens in ranked. To be honest, I've seen more Hugo and Chun than anyone. Maybe even more Ryus. You guys are seeing Ken that often?

Ferrio

Banned
LeMaximilian said:
I haven't run into too many Kens in ranked. To be honest, I've seen more Hugo and Chun than anyone. Maybe even more Ryus. You guys are seeing Ken that often?

Mostly Ken, Ryu, Yun (that doesn't know how to use genjei).

Q, Twelve, Ibuki, Necro, Remy like... once

Raging Spaniard

SephirothRK said:
Very sad, they didn't make a Urien with Gill palette.

You cant split the colors down the middle like that without some heavy recoding of the character, which obviously aint gonna happen.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
LeMaximilian said:

Probably 8 out of 10 games for me is Ken. When I got my 10 ranked streak thingamabob it was actually against all Kens for the last 7 matches. On the Japanese side of things there's a lot of Ken but also a lot of Elena/Chun/Yun/Urien. But on the overseas side, usually Ken and Ryu. I don't think I've played a single Oro or Twelve yet.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
V_Arnold said:
Not to mention that with a lot of animations, people's head deform in a way that was exactly mimicked by SFIV - and it was stylish there, and is stylish here also. Of course it is silly to accept one and hate the other, and then pretend like THAT was the reason of dislike...

I have an impression that a lot of the dislike for SFIV stems from Ryu and Ken specifically. They get the lions share of complaints for "shitty graffix". In fact, characters like the classic bosses, or Dudley, or Ibuki, got compliments for how well they translated visually.

The problem, after studying SFIV and 3S side by side, is that Ryu and Ken in IV are not based at all on their 3S versions. They are based on their OG SF2 versions. They look, animate, and have most of the specific move poses of SF2.

So coming straight from SFIII, with its flowing, organic Ryu and Ken, who have much improved move set visualizations from SF2, their IV incarnations could be seen as janky. It's true. It's more of an intentional decision by the designers though; not a failing on the part of the art team. Most of the rest of the cast in SFIV series look and animate pretty amazing.

Raging Spaniard

Kaijima said:
I have an impression that a lot of the dislike for SFIV stems from Ryu and Ken specifically. They get the lions share of complaints for "shitty graffix". In fact, characters like the classic bosses, or Dudley, or Ibuki, got compliments for how well they translated visually.

The problem, after studying SFIV and 3S side by side, is that Ryu and Ken in IV are not based at all on their 3S versions. They are based on their OG SF2 versions. They look, animate, and have most of the specific move poses of SF2.

So coming straight from SFIII, with its flowing, organic Ryu and Ken, who have much improved move set visualizations from SF2, their IV incarnations could be seen as janky. It's true. It's more of an intentional decision by the designers though; not a failing on the part of the art team. Most of the rest of the cast in SFIV series look and animate pretty amazing.

Eh, sorta, animation wise nobody was complaining and they have pretty much all the moves from every iteration.

People didnt like their faces.

Top Bottom