• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skilletor

A CO player beat HonzoGonzo to get into top32 at EVO a few years ago.

We had a crowd around us getting loud for the match and hyping up the CO player. After Honzo lost, he flipped all of us off.

Fuck that guy. Sore loser and a dick.

out of interest, in a command grab v normal grab situation what wins?

Whichever comes out first, so usually normal grabs if the command grab has slower startup.

A lot of EX command grabs in USFIV beat out normal grabs due to them having decrease startup time, so that may hold true for SFV as well.

We had a crowd around us getting loud for the match and hyping up the CO player. After Honzo lost, he flipped all of us off.

Honzo is like Magus and Skisonic IMO - a decent player with a horrible attitude who has just stuck around in the FGC long enough that people accept it.

Tirael

The risk/reward of using command grabs in this game are usually not in your favour if you happen to get punished..it's the fear of eating that grab tho

You've nailed Mika's gameplan. It's more the fear of the command grab than the actual command grab itself.

Whichever comes out first, so usually normal grabs if the command grab has slower startup.

A lot of EX command grabs in USFIV beat out normal grabs due to them having decrease startup time, so that may hold true for SFV as well.

Honzo is like Magus and Skisonic IMO - a decent player with a horrible attitude who has just stuck around in the FGC long enough that people accept it.

Most command grabs have a slower start up so regular grab should win if it's faster. Same frame I'm not sure.

Supposedly random outcome
Hmm okay, thanks :)

How would you react if you're in the middle of your match to make top 32 and have a crowd of people yelling against you? Then you lose and they probably.. continue to yell against you lol. People act irrational when salty and y'all probably did deserve that finger tbh

Goodstyle

They should buff F.A.N.G in the March patch because he was the only character that wasn't beta tested and it is a large consensus among top players that he's under-powered.

Trickster

How do you punish Necalli? He always just ends blockstrings with the ground stomping which seems safe. I don't even see him being punished by pros.

Just hope you get in somehow and he doesn't crush counter/ dp you?

FluxWaveZ

How do you punish Necalli? He always just ends blockstrings with the ground stomping which seems safe. I don't even see him being punished by pros.

The stomp isn't a true block string, as you can jab out of it if you're quick. It's also not plus on block.

Ya someone in this thread stated before that it's basically a 50/50 chance if they both hit their active frames at the same time, based on what the current frame is. Don't know how true that is though.
Alright, thank you :) maybe someone will test it one day although that sounds likely tbh.

LK stomp is -4 when not super Saiyan, and -3 otherwise. So normally Mika should be able to at least hit him with a LP if he is within range (3 frames), and also LK (4 frames) in normal mode. CA also seems like a possibility, since it has 3 frames of startup.

mbpm1

Lp stomp is -4 so technically punishable.

In practice they'll usually go for mk stomp so he's safe but negative and your options are to start your pressure after stomps or mash a reversal between the untrue blockstring of button into stomps. I think st. hp into mk stomp is a true blockstring though.

Of course, Necalli has a DP so he can do that if he wants.

Ferrio

Banned

The stomp isn't a true block string, as you can jab out of it if you're quick. It's also not plus on block.

Yep, you should be able to toss out Mika's armor move before the stomp and punish him for using it.

Skilletor

How would you react if you're in the middle of your match to make top 32 and have a crowd of people yelling against you? Then you lose and they probably.. continue to yell against you lol. People act irrational when salty and y'all probably did deserve that finger tbh

At EVO? Seeing a friend get so far in one of the biggest tournaments of the year. In pools where tons of people are already yelling because every match at that time is to get to that spot?

Personally would have understood and been like, GG. Part of playing in tournaments, especially at EVO. It's not like anybody was insulting him. Not acceptable behavior over any game, imo, so no, don't think anybody "deserved that finger." Childish shit right there.

FluxWaveZ

I suspect we won't see repeat performances

Great player using a character that people have the least matchup knowledge about. The second part won't last long

When it comes to a character like FANG, it could very much be a matter of hidden potential which hasn't surfaced because the game hasn't been out for long. A deliberate, methodical character with a bunch of tools.

Syntsui

SonicFox just made top 8 with him

Let's be honest and agree that his path was a cake walk compared to anyone else. I love his style and I think he is the best player of the entire community in the US by far, but FANG will hold him back in the future as soon as he face a JWong/PChamp/Rob on earlier stages of a tournament.

tariniel

I've been trying to learn Ryu for a bit, more so after Tokido's amazing performance at Final Round, and I'm just complete ass with fireballs. I have no sense of when to throw them or how to avoid being predictable.

Are there tutorials that focus on the fireball game, and how not to suck at it? I've never really attempted to learn a fireball character before Ryu in this game as I've always naturally liked other character types (main is Bison).

I'm not questioning that, at all.

I was gonna ask why even bother bringing that up then before your edit.

FANG won't hold him back. I think he knows about the character more than us and if he thought FANG was too bad to be competitive in a tourney he wouldn't play the character.

There was only 1 Bison in the top 50 apparently.
RIP Beta 1 Bison.

Let's be honest and agree that his path was a cake walk compared to anyone else. I love his style and I think he is the best player of the entire community in the US by far, but FANG will hold him back in the future as soon as he face a JWong/PChamp/Rob on earlier stages of a tournament.
Top 8 in a 1024 person tournament is enough no matter how easy the path is.

Skilletor

Top 8 in a 1024 person tournament is enough no matter how easy the path is.

This. There is no easy path through a tourney that size. Also take into consideration that this wasn't the only game he placed in, so he was switching mentality and gameplans multiple times throughout the day to get top 8 in more than one game.

Crazy good player.

Syntsui

I've been trying to learn Ryu for a bit, more so after Tokido's amazing performance at Final Round, and I'm just complete ass with fireballs. I have no sense of when to throw them or how to avoid being predictable.

Are there tutorials that focus on the fireball game, and how not to suck at it? I've never really attempted to learn a fireball character before Ryu in this game as I've always naturally liked other character types (main is Bison).

I understand that it might be hard to get used to fireball spacing if you have never mained a shoto before. The best tip I could give you is to keep watching Tokido's/Daigo's/Valle's Ryu's footage.

You have to incorporate a new style of play in your game, and that is the hardest part. Keep practing your execution, pay attention to the spacing and watch out for characters that have tools to punish fireballs.

Fireball pressure is not even that effective in this game as it was in the past, but again, that depends on the character you are facing.

Great player using a character that people have the least matchup knowledge about. The second part won't last long
The thing about great players is that they continue to evolve with their character. This is his one month Fang, what's to say he won't have more tricks 2 months from now? What if he learns matchups a bit more in depth with Fang? What if he studies players and their tendencies to make sure that he can beat them again?
Nobodies path to top 8 was a cakewalk. You're just trying to downplay how well he did in the tournament.
At EVO? Seeing a friend get so far in one of the biggest tournaments of the year. In pools where tons of people are already yelling because every match at that time is to get to that spot?

Personally would have understood and been like, GG. Part of playing in tournaments, especially at EVO. It's not like anybody was insulting him. Not acceptable behavior over any game, imo, so no, don't think anybody "deserved that finger." Childish shit right there.

okay maybe y'all didn't deserve the finger, but he probably wanted to make it to top 32 as bad as your friend did. Maybe all your hype threw him off his game and he was upset about it. I'm not trying to condone his behavior but I can see why he'd be upset.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

That was SonicFox' 2nd Street Fighter major, do you think he peaked? FANG looks like a character with a lot of potential, give it some time.

When it comes to a character like FANG, it could very much be a matter of hidden potential which hasn't surfaced because the game hasn't been out for long. A deliberate, methodical character with a bunch of tools.

True, that can definitely be the case

My point is more the silliness of suggesting that a single person making top 8 with a character a month or two into the games life can suggest a lot about how strong the character is.

I'm not suggesting he needs any immediate buffs either

HiResDes

Yo I know everyone encounters rage-quitters, but I encountered one that was quite skilled at it...He had 18 straight wins and was on his way to Silver and disconnected right at the very end of the match right before I landed a whiff punish that would have ended everything. It's almost as if he had some sort of auto-quit engaged in the event he lost.

Syntsui

Nobodies path to top 8 was a cakewalk. You're just trying to downplay how well he did in the tournament.

Yes it was, but this won't get us anywhere.

He is the best player of the entire community right now and he will always place well as long as he keeps focused, which is being the case every single time.

Stolen from reddit

Here are the top 50 characters used at FR:

Ryu: 9
Chun-Li: 8
Nash: 6
Karin:6
Necalli: 5
Cammy: 5
R.Mika: 4
Vega: 4
Ken: 4
F.A.N.G: 3
Zangief: 3
Rashid: 2
Dhalsim: 2
Birdie: 2
Laura: 2
M. Bison:1

Yes it was, but this won't get us anywhere.

He is the best player of the entire community right now and he will always place well as long as he keeps focused, which is being the case every single time.

Getting into top 8 in a 1024 man bracket is a cakewalk? Seriously?

Vice

Fang won't hold him back. He'll drop a character or pick a stronger one up if he needs too. Getting Top 8 at a large major with only a couple months of playtime in a game is a great, and once he's more familir with the game he'll do even better. Improving his punishes alone will be a world of difference for Sonicfox's ganeplay.

Yeah people are just learning FANG, he will be just fine.

People are just learning to play against him as well, which was my point.

There is just as little reason to say he'll be just fine simply because someone made top 8 with him as there is saying he's already worthless and needs buffs

mbpm1

Stolen from reddit

Here are the top 50 characters used at FR:

Ryu: 9
Chun-Li: 8
Nash: 6
Karin:6
Necalli: 5
Cammy: 5
R.Mika: 4
Vega: 4
Ken: 4