• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should buff F.A.N.G in the March patch because he was the only character that wasn't beta tested and it is a large consensus among top players that he's under-powered.
Cliché response, I know, but pros voicing their early opinions on an unusual character has worked out fine in the past:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmhOaTkYDk4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8oj7mra-os

A month and a half (if that) is way too early to judge anyone.

I think Tokido pretty much exposed how weak FANG is as a character with his complete and utter destruction of SonicFox.

Honestly I would be surprised if Fox sticks with FANG after that.
By that logic you could say that Nash, Necalli and Bison are also weak characters with how Tokido single-handedly exposed some of the best American players using those three right now in a team tournament without much effort in relative terms.

Bottom line is, Tokido put far more effort in learning match-ups across the board than 99% of the other competitive players at Final Round. Character choice only played a small part.

Skilletor

They should buff F.A.N.G in the March patch because he was the only character that wasn't beta tested and it is a large consensus among top players that he's under-powered.

yep.

And Laura is incomplete and garbage.
Dhalsim is "missing something" and isn't very good.
Ken is ass.

etc, etc.

The game has been out a month. There is not enough data for a consensus yet, especially with a character as unique as Fang. He could grow, or not. Have to give it some time.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Why people here doubting sonicfox? Guy is legitimately good. He dominates MK and now he will dominate sfv. A good player is a good player period.

Who is doubting Sonicfox? People are doubting FANG. If Fox picked up a different character he'd be real scary.

Huggers

Lmao. This game man. Haven't played properly in a few days. Just been too busy. Finally sit down, everyone is out, plug in the fight stick..... Maintenance for the next 6 hours. See you in another week or so Street Fighter V!

Skilletor

Who is doubting Sonicfox? People are doubting FANG. If Fox picked up a different character he'd be real scary.

Dude is real scary now. He lacks knowledge of a lot of characters and matchups. His neutral in SF5 can get better.

No doubt he'll pick up another character or two (or maybe not since he doesn't like SF and FANG might be the first character he finds fun), but not only does Fang have room to grow, so does SonicFox in SF.

Vice

His problems don't come from Fang though, it's more a lack of game knowledge and some execution errors. SonicFox got outplayed, blaming the character is the easy way out.

Skilletor

His problems don't come from Fang though, it's more a lack of game knowledge and some execution errors. SonicFox got outplayed, blaming the character is the easy way out.

CountBlack said:
This is such a defeatist attitude.

You don't take one L then drop the character and switch to a better one. You watch the tapes, see what the opponent did to beat you and create a counter strategy to that. This is how you get better at fighting games.

This is exactly why some people stay stagnant when they're in the learning phase and barely evolve as a player.

^^^^^

Shito

You don't take one L then drop the character and switch to a better one. You watch the tapes, see what the opponent did to beat you and create a counter strategy to that. This is how you get better at fighting games.

This is exactly why some people stay stagnant when they're in the learning phase and barely evolve as a player.
Missed this post: a thousand times this.
You don't drop a character because you "only" made it to top 8 out of 1024 players with, on your first tournament.

mbpm1

"Tokido didn't do anything even remotely impressive during that match, he just demonstrated all the areas where FANG is weak and blew him up."

Not accurate. Tokido showed extensive matchup knowledge (a surprising amount) and it did not look like SonicFox had the same level of experience.

Example: The one time SonicFox tried meaty bomb, Tokido dp'd it on reaction. Tokido tatsuing through bomb/fireball setups every time and SonicFox continuing to do it, most likely because very few people have been doing that.
This is why sharing and listening to tech is a good thing.

^^^^^^

Couldn't have been said better. Instead, most people just start going off immediately about how x needs buffs or x needs nerfs.

I don't know where I saw it, but there was this post about how Japan played. Or used to play. The reason they were so good back in the day was because they sat at the arcades and constantly played against monsters and just leveled each other up all the damn time.

But another thing they did was learn the game. They didn't hop to calling for nerfs, they stayed with that shit, grinded it out, and bam! More tech. Whether this is conjecture or not, I dunno, but it sounds like pretty good advice to me in regards to balancing the game. Fighting games have so many variables that buffs or nerfs are incredibly hard to call in the first few months. What's strong today isn't so strong down the line.

Also, I see some people getting mad at not making out of rankings or losing points. If you can, I encourage you to take this shit offline and play Hit up some locals, play with friends, etc. It's a vastly more social and forgiving environment, and I find myself learning a lot more from doing that than watching tapes of my online play.

Mr. X

Sonic Fox one of the 3 us players in Top 8 in his first SF event, not just SF5 and people saying it's FANG fault he lost?

What an odd perspective.

Goodstyle

But SonicFox made top 8 with him, right?

Meanwhile top tier Bison not in the top 16.

Take it from someone who knows, SonicFox's FANG is mediocre and only got by from a meh bracket and unknowledgable opponents. Notice how he totally fell apart against people who DID know how to fight FANG? If you want to see a good FANG, watch Rhyllis on Youtube.

FANG's problems besides being terrible at escaping pressure is that his damage output and poison is too weak to incentivize his opponents to play differently. That needs to change.

Skilletor

Take it from someone who knows, SonicFox's FANG is mediocre and only got by from a meh bracket and unknowledgable opponents. Notice how he totally fell apart against people who DID know how to fight FANG? If you want to see a good FANG, watch Rhyllis on Youtube.

FANG's problems besides being terrible at escaping pressure is that his damage output and poison is too weak to incentivize his opponents to play differently. That needs to change.

I can't tell who is joking anymore.

zenpuff

Neo Member
I don't know where I saw it, but there was this post about how Japan played. Or used to play. The reason they were so good back in the day was because they sat at the arcades and constantly played against monsters and just leveled each other up all the damn time.

But another thing they did was learn the game. They didn't hop to calling for nerfs, they stayed with that shit, grinded it out, and bam! More tech. Whether this is conjecture or not, I dunno, but it sounds like pretty good advice to me in regards to balancing the game. Fighting games have so many variables that buffs or nerfs are incredibly hard to call in the first few months. What's strong today isn't so strong down the line.

Also, I see some people getting mad at not making out of rankings or losing points. If you can, I encourage you to take this shit offline and play Hit up some locals, play with friends, etc. It's a vastly more social and forgiving environment, and I find myself learning a lot more from doing that than watching tapes of my online play.

The majority of the time I hung out in arcades, my time was spent with other people just figuring out how to do new things in whatever the big fighting game was at the moment. We picked different characters, tried new combos, looked for secrets/glitches/exploits...it was a good time. Shit always got crazy when one of us brought in a magazine with new tech in it.

Dreavus

Played for the first time at a friend's house the other day. Really need to lose the habit of trying to rely on jabs like I did in SFIV (especially as Ryu). The game is fast and fun though.

I'm not sure if either of my sticks would work with this game on PC but I'll probably pick it up sometime soon.

Sheroking

Sonic Fox one of the 3 us players in Top 8 in his first SF event, not just SF5 and people saying it's FANG fault he lost?

What an odd perspective.

TBH, people not having any FANG experience is part of the reason he got there anyway. In the Nuckledu match especially, Du could have CA'd him a million times while Fox was mashing on volley from an unsafe distance.

Fox is a great player and will continue to be a big threat, but FANG right now is a double-edged sword.

Razzorn34

Couldn't have been said better. Instead, most people just start going off immediately about how x needs buffs or x needs nerfs.

Karin's anti-airs definitely need buffs. No question. They all lose way too often. It's sad you have to rely on a EX move just to reliably anti-air.

OK Guys. I've had a shitty day, I twisted my foot and now I can't walk on it for at least 2-3 days.

I'm going to sleep now and if the patch with 8-player lobbies and Alex is not out by the time I wake up, I'm going to be sad for a little while. That is all.

qcf x2

I am. I wasn't impressed by what I saw. If he does well 2 tournaments from now I'll eat my words.

Karin's anti-airs definitely need buffs. No question. They all lose way too often. It's sad you have to rely on a EX move just to reliably anti-air.

No, they are fine. You want the character to be perfect or something? It's like that poster here who keeps insisting that Bison needed buffs on offense. Characters that are already strong don't need to be given extra tools.

Someone was implying that the only reason he made it to top 8 at Final Round was because his path there was "easy."

Just curious, did he run into any international players in his run? I know he beat Julio, Wolfkrone, and KnuckleDu, who were notable American SF4 players. PRRog was closest to sending Infiltration to losers but unfortunately for him he ran into him before Top 8. Fchamp ran into Tokido in losers before Top 8 and the night before it's hard to call that matchup since Champ actually beat Tokido in a close 5-4. Not saying SonicFox is bad but these 2 players for example seemed like big threats to the international players but ran into them earlier.

FinKL

TBH, people not having any FANG experience is part of the reason he got there anyway. In the Nuckledu match especially, Du could have CA'd him a million times while Fox was mashing on volley from an unsafe distance.

Fox is a great player and will continue to be a big threat, but FANG right now is a double-edged sword.

I agree here, watch VS Rayray, straight up bewildered the whole match. I'm pretty sure Chun's helicopter kick goes over the ground poison if Ryu's hurricane kick does. Tokido pretty much had ground poison on check with it.

She controls the poke game like no other character. Her anti-airs might not beat everything, but her best one (EX) beats everything.

Her air control is fine.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, with Evolution closing, i think puts the kaboosh on using Drive Club as an example that SFV can strive too. Not that Capcom will close or anything but i hope these updates help the product out and keep it alive.

Ferrio

Banned
She controls the poke game like no other character. Her anti-airs might not beat everything, but her best one (EX) beats everything.

Her air control is fine.

Agreed. She has an invul dp, and a *really* good anti-air normal if you got the timing down. She's fine especially when you consider all her other tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom