• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been paying too much attention to this thread since it got moved to the community section. But did something happen where we are not allowed to express frustration about the game/matchups without being mocked for it?

May I ask what your fighting game history looks like?

When did you start playing fighting games, what are your favorites, what types of characters do you play?

I've learned that my character(s) and playstyle has major weaknesses. I'm trying to do better.

That being said, Sim does alright against Ryu. He certainly has answers for j.LK. He doesn't deal with corner pressure well, and his damage output is much much lower than Ryu's. I have a real hard time with the Necalli matchup too.

Whales

Banned
Started worh chun, then tried out bison who I like BUT i just can't properly play charge chars with a DS4.

And now i'm back at using ryu..My fundamentals (especially AA) need some training

Plus I actually like his moveset too

stn

Dhalsim is a direct counter to Ryu, has been for practically forever. I watched some high level sets and it looks as difficult as ever, especially without a focus attack to randomly absorb a hit and pray you get in.

EDIT: I'm all for people ranting about bad matchups, its just the nature of it. But I feel like you have to be on the receiving end of ST Zangief v. Honda in order to truly appreciate how ugly a matchup can get. No focus attack, no V-trigger, no V-reversal, no ultra, no parry - no nothing. You either stand in a corner and mash cr. jab and hope you stuff a headbutt, or you walk forward into death.

Dhalsim is a direct counter to Ryu, has been for practically forever. I watched some high level sets and it looks as difficult as ever, especially without a focus attack to randomly absorb a hit and pray you get in.

It's a lot different with this game. Improper spacing and timing a single normal wrong can mean that Ryu gets to go in an do pretty heavy damage. In ST and all the way up to IV, Sim's normals generally covered a different range of space and had recovery that wasn't too bad. This game is very very different.

Edit: Oh god. The ST Gief x Honda matchup is super tough to deal with

FluxWaveZ

If Dhalsim is a direct counter to Ryu, then what character could Dhalsim possibly not be a direct counter to?

Trickster

May I ask what your fighting game history looks like?

When did you start playing fighting games, what are your favorites, what types of characters do you play?

Started around 2½ years ago with SF4. Outside of that and SF5 I haven't really enjoyed the other ones I've tried.

In SF4 I played a lot of different characters to various success, like T.hawk, Cammy, Seth, Ryu, Ken and Poison.

In SF5 I've been dedicated to Mika

stn

If Dhalsim is a direct counter to Ryu, then what character could Dhalsim possibly not be a direct counter to?
Someone with an air attack. Someone with fast walk speed. Someone with ambiguous jumps. Straight-forward footsie characters have always been given trouble by 'Sim, its the fast-paced rushdown characters that have caused him grief.

See: ST Cammy, ST Vega, SF4 Yun, SF4 Yang, SF4 Akuma, SF4 Cammy, etc...

Hyun Sai

I've got the feeling that Dhalsim is not a counter to Ryu in SFV. I may be wrong, but this match-up seems pretty equal to me.

People are saying Rashid beats Dhalsim even without the internet, so....

FluxWaveZ

Someone with an air attack. Someone with fast walk speed. Someone with ambiguous jumps. Straight-forward footsie characters have always been given trouble by 'Sim, its the fast-paced rushdown characters that have caused him grief.

See: ST Cammy, ST Vega, SF4 Yun, SF4 Yang, SF4 Akuma, SF4 Cammy, etc...

Alright... who is that in SFV? I'm asking.

stn

Alright... who is that in SFV? I'm asking.

Cammy - she has a dive-kick and fast mixups.
Chun-Li - good pokes and fast walk speed
Necalli - dive kick, has that claw dash which can absorb one hit

I also wouldn't be surprised if Rashid has a slight advantage. He has an air flip, a dive kick, and his v-trigger tornado seems like a good counter to long-range pokes.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Rashid has a slight advantage. He has an air flip, a dive kick, and his v-trigger tornado seems like a good counter to long-range pokes.

His mobility options are actually stopped by a lot of good pokes. His v-trigger is a problem, but it doesn't vacuum in if you're airborne and teleporting away after a jump works against it.

The matchup is strong for Sim when he's playing a mid-range game, but as soon as Rashid is outside of poke range, it's a lot harder.

Mediking

I had a REALLY good casual match against a Ryu today. It came down to us both having very small health but I pressed the wrong button and he caught me with me guard down. It was a great game. Too bad there isn't a way for me to tell whoever it was that it was a good game. The only way I tell people its a good game is having Cammy's default message which pretty much tells the other guy it was a good game when I win.

Keep in mind that Necalli's dash only absorbs one hit of projectile damage, so that characteristic is not so useful in this matchup, since only Sim's EX fireball goes horizontal and it hits twice. However, it does allow Necalli to punish Sim's regular fireballs at near full screen, getting you in at the same time.

Ucchedavāda;199209474 said:
Keep in mind that Necalli's dash only absorbs one hit of projectile damage, so that characteristic is not so useful in this matchup, since only Sim's EX fireball goes horizontal and it hits twice. However, it does allow Necalli to punish Sim's regular fireballs at near full screen, getting you in at the same time.

His crouching jab also is lightning fast. If he's up close, like glue, he can stop most of what Sim is doing because of the speed of his normals.

Exr

Is there a comprehensive framedata app or site yet? I need to figure out some strategies to beat Nash as Gief and Bison

No kidding. For a while, it felt like I was the only Necalli player in this thread who thought he was pretty good.
If it makes you feel any better, I've been saying how good Necalli is pretty much since release even though I don't play him myself.

leroidys

Man, the only way I have to play this game is on my roommates wifi connected PS4 on his horrible input lag having 6 year old Samsung TV. And his couch is really low, so playing with my arcade stick in my lap is super awkward. I would just buy a PS4, but the talk of a refresh makes that sound like a bad idea. Would be easier to swallow if PS4s weren't $350.

Oh well, guess I'll just be scrub tier for life 😭

Man, the only way I have to play this game is on my roommates wifi connected PS4 on his horrible input lag having 6 year old Samsung TV. And his couch is really low, so playing with my arcade stick in my lap is super awkward. I would just buy a PS4, but the talk of a refresh makes that sound like a bad idea. Would be easier to swallow if PS4s weren't $350.

Oh well, guess I'll just be scrub tier for life ��
fwiw I think the "PS4K" stuff is nonsense. makes literally no sense for Sony to do that when the console is already selling fantastically + there's no way they'll get a GPU that can run any modern AAA games at 4K without it costing like $1000.

I'd bet like $10 that it's literally just a PS4 with 4K spec HDMI and somehow that's been miscommunicated down the pipeline of rumours.

fwiw I think the "PS4K" stuff is nonsense. makes literally no sense for Sony to do that when the console is already selling fantastically + there's no way they'll get a GPU that can run any modern AAA games at 4K without it costing like $1000.

I'd bet like $10 that it's literally just a PS4 with 4K spec HDMI and somehow that's been miscommunicated down the pipeline of rumours.
That would make a lot of sense if this didn't happen

Not really. In most Street Fighters it's always been an even-ish match-up that slightly favoured Dhalsim once you understood the nuances; the above is an overblown reputation largely because of the subtle intricacies at play that most people simply never bothered to pick up on.

Street Fighter V exemplifies this, and if anything Ryu has the (marginal) advantage now due to how the fireball game has changed for Dhalsim among other things.

Anyone with good corner carry, frame traps (plus subsequent mix-ups) and mobility. There are no hard counters in this game though, so in this case it just translates into Dhalsim having to be more deliberate.

Necalli's divekick is garbage against Dhalsim or just about any character with strong anti-airs, really.

What makes that match-up tricky isn't because of the reasons you outlined. Intelligent V-Skill usage coupled with Necalli's fast forward dashes, the up-close pressure he can apply in combination with the threat of a command grab as well as his SRK-esque attack rendering Dhalsim's Yoga Drill or instant-air Yoga Gale pressure less effective are the primary dangers to look out for. It's still not lopsided however, since both characters have to be meticulous in their approach against one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom