• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was a good day. Can't tell if I got better or there's a lot new players but I jumped like 1k LP today. Super Silver get!! B)

Maybe Gold League is attainable after all...

Having a lot of fun with the Trials even though they're all so insanely easy compared to USF4 which I did complete.

Spman2099

Today was a good day. Can't tell if I got better or there's a lot new players but I jumped like 1k LP today. Super Silver get!! B)

Maybe Gold League is attainable after all...

Having a lot of fun with the Trials even though they're all so insanely easy compared to USF4 which I did complete.

There is still a lot of junk, but I do feel like these trials have more practicality than the SFIV ones.

They are, undeniably, so much easier.

laaame

Alex seems really bad against the shotos. Or anyone with a projectile really.

Does he have any reliable means of damage outside of his command grab/using meter? His main combos seem to come off of lights, which do next to nothing in terms of damage.

His base damage is really bad but I feel that was intentional. The two ways I see Alex getting his damage is off counter hits/ hard hits and stun.

With counter/ hard hits, he has way more combo options, like mp-mp lp chop, and crush counters. He can also confirm his light attacks into mp for decent damage off 4 frame moves.
But the main source of damage most likely comes from his stun output. All of his hit confirmable specials do above average stun, he has his leaping command grab (stun gun headbutt) that does 250-300 stun, and his regular command grab would provide the most use for stunning the opponent. The command grab itself is kinda shitty when compared to Mika, Birdie, or Zangief when it comes to damage and frames, but has much higher stun than all of them and has decent range.
With a full stun bar you got access to the Hp flash chop into the followup grab for high guaranteed meterless damage with not much scaling. Its probably the only way that move has any use in a real match.

With these two aspects in mind, you can play the mind games of charging the V-skill for the threat of landing a hit, which gets them to block. Then with this in mind, you could easily (in theory) dash up and land the command throw. Rinse and repeat and you have an amazing character. Or Alex could just be a bad character, so Capcom should just buff him just in case.

There is still a lot of junk, but I do feel like these trials have more practicality than the SFIV ones.

They are, undeniably, so much easier.

They are more practical but I gotta admit I kinda enjoyed the impractical ones from 4. At the very least they were really nice for execution practice. V's fighting system just doesn't lend itself to crazy combos. It was a design choice. Crazy combos are not really what this game's about and that's why the Trials are easier.

At first I was a bit worried about this but it turns out it's not so bad. I was thinking easy combos = boring to watch but it's totally not. I enjoyed the shit out of watching Final Round and NCR.

They are more practical but I gotta admit I kinda enjoyed the impractical ones from 4. At the very least they were really nice for execution practice. V's fighting system just doesn't lend itself to crazy combos. It was a design choice. Crazy combos are not really what this game's about and that's why the Trials are easier.

At first I was a bit worried about this but it turns out it's not so bad. I was thinking easy combos = boring to watch but it's totally not. I enjoyed the shit out of watching Final Round and NCR.

I like the simpler combo style, but that is just because I couldn't do any fancy stuff in SF4.

I finally beat survival on hard with Karin

4ADOdQr.gif

Now you only have to do it again with the other costume:p

ImBehindYou

Neo Member
Going from my monitor at uni to playing on a TV through an AV receiver feels like I'm underwater :(

Anyone up for a set in Europe? I'll be free but my CFN:CantaloupeHead

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
If you're gonna sandbag the first match in an attempt to get two wins back to back, I'm gonna take the free win and back out. The rematch feature has already started a new garbage meta.

You know, I just came in to moan about some guy who ragequit after I destroyed him in the second match and then I see this. I booted up the game and jumped into training mode and was almost immediately matched up against someone. I was rusty as hell and lost the first match, but noticed the kind of mistakes my opponent and I were making. Roll on match two and I beat the guy, only for him to ragequit.

So here's how I see it. I took my loss and gave up some lp and then I beat some guy and was denied the lp I earned. And I've never ragequit on anyone. So how about act like an adult and do the same? If you feel that you were suckered into believing you'd get two easy wins, just take the loss and back out of the decider. No matter how you try to spin it, you're just making the experience worse for other people. And bitch about the other guy all you want. At least he isn't a ragequitter.

Scotia

Banned
For those that care, I've made a list of Alex's win/loss quotes:

Alex (Mirror Match)

'Well, well. It seems I've still got a ways to go yet'

Ryu

Win

'You're an interesting one...What is it that your eyes see?'

Loss

'Your fists show a lot of potential. I wait for the day we meet again.'

Ken

Win

'Just what I'd expect from a U.S martial arts tournament champ. You're in different league.'

Loss

'You can get a lot stronger yet. I can't wait to fight you again.'

Chun Li

Win

'Your kicks are something else. Did you hone them on them battlefield?'

Loss

'Your combos are a little wild, but I admit it, you've got talent.'

Nash

Win

'What are those scars on your arm and face? There's no way you got them in that last match.'

Loss

'If you're not prepared for death, never raise your fist against another person again.'

M. Bison

Win

'Fighting you was worth it, but something feels off...'

Loss

'You have no future before you. You only have despair.'

Birdie

Win

'You're not a heel, just a glorified jobber!'

Loss

'That haircut, those clothes...You're completely broke, ain't ya!'

F.A.N.G

Win

'You've got height and reach, but you're not making it work for you.'

Loss

'Well you're not exactly ideal, but you'll make fine fodder for my next experiment.'

Vega

Win

'If your face is so important, you shouldn't show it in public.'

Loss

'Sophistication is so far beyond you, there's no point in letting you live.'

Necalli

Win

'My soul won't be taken that easily, no matter what you are.'

Loss

'Yours is an unawakened soul. Now fill my st...stomach.'

Cammy

Win

'Your speed might serve you well on the battlefield but you won't beat me if that's all you've got.'

Loss

'You're precision is amateurish at best. I could fight you a hundred times and not lose.'

Dhalsim

Win

'What the...? How can your arms and legs extend like that?'

Loss

'The world is vast. Be not surprised by what lies within arms reach.'

Zangief

Win

'If it's a straight up battle of brawn you want, I won't lose!'

Loss

'Come at me harder next time! We're all equals in ring!'

R.Mika

Win

'You don't have it takes to be a face. Not the power, nor the technique.'

Loss

'I've been in the ring longer than you. You won't get a three-count on me so easily!'

Karin

Win

'You're good at putting on the pressure. Catching you was tough.'

Loss

'That was an interesting fight. I'll be sure to remember your name.'

Laura

Win

'You want me to join your school? Even though I just beat you?'

Loss

'You look like you've got potential! Come at me full blast next time!'

Rashid

Win

'You're fast, but your blows are weak. You could hit me a thousand times and not win.'

Loss

'You live in a big city and don't even have Internet?'

Ghazi

Got his soul snatched by Sanford, took donations for a new laptop to improve his stream, then completely bailed on the stream. Has had a "fuck the FGC" attitude ever since, even though he's made a couple of Next Level appearances.

That is so depressing, him and Chris Hu were probably my favorite streamers.

mbpm1

Alex seems really bad against the shotos. Or anyone with a projectile really.

Does he have any reliable means of damage outside of his command grab/using meter? His main combos seem to come off of lights, which do next to nothing in terms of damage.

From when I played him, his best means of damage in neutral revolved around using his slash thing (back-forward kick) like a pseudo-rog dash punch. -3 on block and pushes you out, goes some distance, leaves frame advantage on hit, cancels fireballs (although you'd never use it that way), seems to have a decent hitbox to beat stuff, works nicely as a whiff punish on missed cr. mk's, comes out fast.

From this you can set up things like dash up pressure since it looks like a dash, walk up pressure since your opponent won't want to press buttons, use more buttons, etc.

He's still not great at getting damage.

Syntsui

Now that I'm done with Witcher 3 I was finally able to get the Silver rank. It feels really good to actually know that I'm improving and beating smart opponents. I still have a few bad addictions that are costing me matches, but I'm slowly getting rid of them.

Again, thanks Tokido!

LakeEarth

My 3rd Strike muscle memory keeps getting me in trouble with Alex. Keep trying to combo with medium kick, keep trying to poke with f.mp even though it's slower now that it's an overhead, HK stomp goes further so I always miss when I use it, you have to hit j.HP earlier because it won't come out in time at the height you'd want to use it in 3rd Strike, etc.

I also really have to learn to take advantage of his parry. How do you stop the clothesline from happening again? What's the trick to cancelling it mid-charge?

mbpm1

I also really have to learn to take advantage of his parry. How do you stop the clothesline from happening again? What's the trick to cancelling it mid-charge?

I think you just tap hp+hk instead of holding it. If you're already holding it the clothesline probably will come out no matter what

BadWolf

Finished the combo trials and went through the demonstrations, ended up with an easy 200K FM thanks to those.

The combo trials were pretty fun, a nice mix of bnb, flash and some challenge.

You don't actually need to watch the demonstrations btw, you can just quit right after they start and they will count as having been watched.

BiggNife

Asked this before but didn't see a response - is it possible to get colors 14 and 15 in the shop yet? Do I need to be a certain level? Or are they premium only?

vg260

Tempted to buy the classic ken costume

Same, but the whole store costume/color unlock situation is so ridiculous, I'm going to wait it out until they implement the zenny store, and hopefully they make some wider-scale changes. I don't want to spend any fight money and possibly screw myself over. There's no telling what level of FM you get from the daily challenges planned. It's too easy to burn through the bulk you get upfront from the single player stuff. I actually like Ken's default too so I can wait.

Thanks, I'll try it out more later tonight.

I don't think anyone knows that yet. Logically, it should be lifetime FM accumulation, but this is a game with a lot of baffling omissions so I'm not going to take the risk until it is confirmed.
darnit!!! It's because only like 3 ppl have the trophy!!

Capcom plz...

Release the buttons after the parry. If you're still holding the buttons, the clothesline will come out no matter how long it has left to charge.

I beat someone by parrying and dashing forward to hit them with an EX Powerbomb. Felt pro.

Asked this before but didn't see a response - is it possible to get colors 14 and 15 in the shop yet? Do I need to be a certain level? Or are they premium only?

There have been a bunch of responses to this, it's tied to your character level
lvl 25 gets you colour 14, colour 15 we don't know yet, probably 30 or 35.

Disktrasa

Banned
The seasonpass aint regionlocked?

I bought the game on USpsn, playing on my EUpsn, so i can buy it on the eupsn, what do you think guys?

BiggNife

There have been a bunch of responses to this, it's tied to your character level
lvl 25 gets you colour 14, colour 15 we don't know yet, probably 30 or 35.

I knew 12 and 13 were tied to level but I wasn't sure about the last two. And I'm sure it was, but I asked and didn't get a response and I'm not going to dig through the past 20 pages.

Basically I just really want Vega's color 15 because it's by far the best one but of course I can't because it's tied to a character level so high that no one has it yet. So frustrating.

I also bought Vega's story mode costume hoping it would grow on me, but...nope. Still super indifferent towards it.

LakeEarth

How and why the fuck are people rage quitting in casual matches?? There is literally nothing to lose in a casual match, why?

I once pointed this out to a casual dropper, that he's actually reducing his fight money accumulation because he's losing the consolation XP he would've gained from the match. He did not respond with maturity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom