• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quesa

to be honest, its one of the harder cancels i've done. Almost as bad as some of chun's cancels into LL xx super.

Keep in mind, that link combo will only work at a set distance. So you'd have to be in close to even get it off. Alex's St.MP actually hits from pretty far range & is far more hit confirmable with his chop. So, while i'm not saying forgo learning it, as getting your cancel/link timing down will migrate over to other characters & increase your wrist's speed at which it does certain actions, do understand that you most likely will not be using that hit confirm all that much in an actual match.

Thanks for the help! MPxxL.Slash definitely seems more manageable. And I was able to do the LP cancel three times in a row just now, so I'm satisfied as far as "doing it for the challenge" goes.

SUPARSTARX

Can't properly timed meaties also beat a wakeup DP?

There's some moves that have upper or lower body invincibility. But the fully invincible ones are obviously not gonna be beaten out by meaties. Anybody that's aware of the properties are gonna wake up with a medium DP or EX-DP for full invincibility most of the time.

Pejo

Man I fought a lot of Alex last night. That EX elbow move destroyed me. Either it caught me as I was jumping or I block it and ate a powerbomb.

NastyBook

But you pressed that rematch button after getting an easy win and suddenly get pissed and rage quit when it turns out the guy is better than you...

My point still stands. If you're going to play a competitive game then take the losses when they come. Don't try to justify rage quitting. It's a video game, and I presume you're an adult. It's pathetic.
Who are you talking to? Where in my previous posts did I say I would ragequit? I said that I wouldn't deal with sandbagging, and that's it. I have no problems losing up front. If you're better than me, you're better than me.

Who are you talking to? Where in my previous posts did I say I would ragequit? I said that I wouldn't deal with sandbagging, and that's it. I have no problems losing up front. If you're better than me, you're better than me.

I think he's equating not selecting to go to round two as the same as ragequitting?

There's some moves that have upper or lower body invincibility. But the fully invincible ones are obviously not gonna be beaten out by meaties. Anybody that's aware of the properties are gonna wake up with a medium DP or EX-DP for full invincibility most of the time.
Like how Nash's EX qcb+k move has upper body invincibility only. Huh, thanks.

A.E Suggs

Whoah whoah whaoh, what's your strategy with each? I've had the hardest time with Gief on Hard for some reason.

With vega they can't deal with flying barcelona, like at all.. With gief for some reason they act stupid to the armor on his standing fierce. You'll have trouble vs cammy,chun and mika(well at least I did) but the rest are a cakewalk, especially since they can't deal with lariot well either.

Kouichi

Oh my god. So I'm sitting comfortable in Ultra Bronze, doing pretty good, and then the game decides to throw two silvers and an ultra silver to bring me back to super bronze. Then when I'm in Super Bronze they throw in THREE more Super Silvers!

But you know what? By the third silver, I was just like fuck it, I'm rematching every single one. I've taken rounds, but I haven't beaten a single one. But dammit, I'm going to take advantage of this and try to get some practice.

With vega they can't deal with flying barcelona, like at all.. With gief for some reason they act stupid to the armor on his standing fierce. You'll have trouble vs cammy,chun and mika(well at least I did) but the rest are a cakewalk, especially since they can't deal with lariot well either.

deja vu.

I don't think Birdie is working out for me anymore. I think I'm playing too patiently and defensive and not pressing enough buttons to win. I miss walking up with Honda and jab xx hands-ing everything safely :(

I think I might switch to Bipson or Alex. I enjoyed playing Bison as kind of an unofficial alt after Decapre, and I tried out the trials with Alex, he seems to fit what I want in a character in SFV (maybe until Guile and Balrog drop), without actually playing any matchups.

I don't think Birdie is working out for me anymore. I think I'm playing too patiently and defensive and not pressing enough buttons to win. I miss walking up with Honda and jab xx hands-ing everything safely :(

I think I might switch to Bipson or Alex. I enjoyed playing Bison as kind of an unofficial alt after Decapre, and I tried out the trials with Alex, he seems to fit what I want in a character in SFV (maybe until Guile and Balrog drop), without actually playing any matchups.

If you like pressing a lot of safe buttons, Bipson is definitely your character.

Jet black Vega : Unlocked by clearing Extreme Survival.

Believe.

UUUUUGGGGGGGH

I just want that jet black Vega

29_col03.jpg

Capcom why

Unlocked Vega lvl 30 today, and the 15th color is still not here, so I gess it's 35 or more.

I dinged 45 with vega last night and still no color 15. Maybe 50 is the magic number. I still don't have his yellow title either btw

Birdie definitely seems to excel at making the fight come to him. Although it is too early, Alex seems to be pretty good at both.

For a lot of matchups, his V Skill forces action out of an opponent. Not many will just sit there and let you build V Trigger, and people seem to be terrified of cans.

I dinged 45 with vega last night and still no color 15. Maybe 50 is the magic number. I still don't have his yellow title either btw

it's kinda foolish of them double gating this stuff behind both requirements AND FM. Limiting the audience that would happily spend their FM helps Capcom's bottom line because eventually the player will run out and start spending real dollars.

Ferrio

Banned
Well regardless of what I think of Alex's viability, he's real fun to play. A lot more varied playstyle than Laura that's for sure. I have a feeling I should be fishing for CC's with f.hp a lot more and charging a lot less even though lp elbow slash is great. AAs seem to be my big weakeness. Cr.HP is nice if you judge the distance right, if you do it too late or they crossup it's bad times. Might have to stick with his jab, but I'll be playing around with f+hp more as an AA since it's hitbox looks really damn good.

Anyone got any good tech they found?

Well regardless of what I think of Alex's viability, he's real fun to play. A lot more varied playstyle than Laura that's for sure. I have a feeling I should be fishing for CC's with f.hp a lot more and charging a lot less even though lp elbow slash is great. AAs seem to be my big weakeness. Cr.HP is nice if you judge the distance right, if you do it too late or they crossup it's bad times. Might have to stick with his jab, but I'll be playing around with f+hp more as an AA since it's hitbox looks really damn good.

Anyone got any good tech they found?

The only cool thing I learned from the 10 minutes I played him is that st.mk -> clothesline links during v-trigger if you use a v-skill first. You can get insane damage off a poke that way.

Whales

Banned
I like Alex but man I just can't play any char that doesnt have an invincible reversal on wake-up. I get abused too much

yes im a scrub lol

LakeEarth

I tested it, and Alex's EX rising knee move does not work on grounded opponents like it did in 3rd Strike.

This is the problem with playing a certain character in only one game, it is hard to unlearn things.

mbpm1

I tested it, and Alex's EX rising knee move does not work on grounded opponents like it did in 3rd Strike.

This is the problem with playing a certain character in only one game, it is hard to unlearn things.

Yeah it's just a better Laura's throw

....f'n hell- https://t.co/O2xr1sBYmg

Fix for OSes created more problems. Is this all stemming from input leniency w/ jumps?
Didn't this already exist in SF4?

Gief could Jump Cancel his stuff so he wasn't so free to throws

Rooter McGavin

Neo Member
I like Alex but man I just can't play any char that doesnt have an invincible reversal on wake-up. I get abused too much

yes im a scrub lol

Just block on wake-up. Hop into some casual matches and don't even worry too much about trying to win. I know that doesn't necessarily sound like good advice, but as soon as everyone starts blocking your reversal wake-ups you're going to be in some trouble.

Mr. X

Fix for OSes created more problems. Is this all stemming from input leniency w/ jumps?
-_- i thought this would be something else

Doing specials move in jump startup existed last patch. You see it in 3S play too. You just end a move in up forward before the punch kick button since jump startup is throw invincible.

I feel like this existed in every 2D fighter with throw invinc jump startup.

Scotia

Banned
FUCK SURVIVAL

Why give me a low health supplement when I was on less than 10% health? God I fucking hate this game mode and whoever designed it.

Whales

Banned
Just block on wake-up. Hop into some casual matches and don't even worry too much about trying to win. I know that doesn't necessarily sound like good advice, but as soon as everyone starts blocking your reversal wake-ups you're going to be in some trouble.

I know, I don't dp everytime, just once in a while.

Thing is, once you get someone with a wake-up DP they will start respecting you on wakeup a fucking lot more because they don't want to eat another, so it helps.

The thing with blocking is that I get knocked down, then they cross me up, I block, they do their blockstring then jump at me right away again. I'm too slow to AA so I reblock for a whole 5 mins until they either hit me or I manage to counter.

I'm really bad at antiairing people who wanna crossup on wakeup :/

:|

Is Birdie making you work too hard?

I think I'll still play him as an alt, but I guess i have too many habits ingrained from years of holding down/back that I need to break to be successful in this game.

If you like pressing a lot of safe buttons, Bipson is definitely your character.

I messed with him a little in SF4, I like that he's kind of an offensive footsie based character in SFV. If Alex doesn't work out, I'll try him next.

I think personally I haven't found a character that fit my eye, and that's kind of holding back my enthusiasm in diving into a character in this game.

tariniel

I know, I don't dp everytime, just once in a while.

Thing is, once you get someone with a wake-up DP they will start respecting you on wakeup a fucking lot more because they don't want to eat another, so it helps.

The thing with blocking is that I get knocked down, then they cross me up, I block, they do their blockstring then jump at me right away again. I'm too slow to AA so I reblock for a whole 5 mins until they either hit me or I manage to counter.

I'm really bad at antiairing people who wanna crossup on wakeup :/

I play Bison and have mostly the same problem. You have to use v.Reversal a lot more, or learn to air-to-air in those cases. Sometimes I can dash under.

I'm complete ass with Necalli compared to my Bison, but just by having the DP some matchups go a lot better for me. That and the 3F jab.

Speaking of Necalli - how the hell do you fight Nash with him? What's Necalli's answer for the moonsault?

Thank God for best 2 out of 3. I had a string of ten or so losses that took me from Bronze all the way back to Rookie, then I got matched with a predictable Ryu that beat me the first set because my head isn't in the game anymore due to the losses. But then I put my game ace on, got my mojo back and cleaned him up on the run back and got two wins and my Bronze status back.

This game. I have a love/hate relationship with it I tell ya.

Trickster

You could just throw, y'know. I'm sure your opponent would appreciate it ;)

That's for scrubs.

Anyway, just lost to some 5.6k birdie, no idea how to play against birdie, dude has such ridiculous range, getting in is so hard and birdie players know that, so they're extra prepared to AA than most players.

Whales

Banned
I play Bison and have mostly the same problem. You have to use v.Reversal a lot more, or learn to air-to-air in those cases. Sometimes I can dash under.

I'm complete ass with Necalli compared to my Bison, but just by having the DP some matchups go a lot better for me.

Speaking of Necalli - how the hell do you fight Nash with him? What's Necalli's answer for the moonsault?

True, I could start using V-reversals a lot more. I forget about them all the time.

Also, the battle lounge search is garbage. Can't filter by connection, and when you search it takes like 1min just to show the flags ( and half of the time it just shows the SFV flag...) And everytime I select a room it tells me it's ''full'' (even if I join and the lobby was initially at like 1/6...)

Ferrio

Banned
Random stuff/thoughts I found in my small bit of playing Alex:

-s.mp has amazing range. Feels like a lot like Ryu's but with a better hitbox.
-CC st.hk, HK elbow, EX flash is great damage off his st.hk.
-Both light versions of flash and elbow are nice pokes.
-After a headbutt you're in range of a lk elbow, or a MP/EX headbutt. I feel this is pretty gimmicky especially the headbutt, but I caught quite a few off guard doing an EX headbutt right after landing one.
-His V-skill is great if you're able to safely use it.
-st.mk/st.hk == Fuck you Karin.
-Air stampede seems really really risky. Right now I feel like no one has much reason to block low against alex, especially at ranges you'd do stampede. Seems to cause a weird semi-hard knockdown or something. So free mixup if you do hit it.

HardRojo

Gonna have to put those throw inv pre-jump frames to work!

Random stuff/thoughts I found in my small bit of playing Alex:

-s.mp has amazing range. Feels like a lot like Ryu's but with a better hitbox.
-CC st.hk, HK elbow, EX flash is great damage off his st.hk.
-Both light versions of flash and elbow are nice pokes.
-After a headbutt you're in range of a lk elbow, or a MP/EX headbutt. I feel this is pretty gimmicky especially the headbutt, but I caught quite a few off guard doing an EX headbutt right after landing one.
-His V-skill is great if you're able to safely use it.
-st.mk/st.hk == Fuck you Karin.
-Air stampede seems really really risky. Right now I feel like no one has much reason to block low against alex, especially at ranges you'd do stampede. Seems to cause a weird semi-hard knockdown or something. So free mixup if you do hit it.
I've been messing around with his counterhit combos to take advantage of his V-Skill and when punishing DPs. It seems like this is his most damaging combo in the corner using one bar: CC st.HK, HK elbow, cr.HP, EX Knee.
If midscreen, I simply use CH st.HP, HP flash, follow up Power drop EX.
Alex is fun, I need to get into some serious matches with him first though.

Thank God for best 2 out of 3. I had a string of ten or so losses that took me from Bronze all the way back to Rookie, then I got matched with a predictable Ryu that beat me the first set because my head isn't in the game anymore due to the losses. But then I put my game ace on, got my mojo back and cleaned him up on the run back and got two wins and my Bronze status back.

This game. I have a love/hate relationship with it I tell ya.

Yea I just went from 1000 to 550 lol, I keep getting higher lp than me and keep losing all games just barely.. Oh well hopefully it changes to the other way soon.. Been like this for me in like 2 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom