• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

I mean in my case with Bison I took to him naturally but even in that case I needed to be shown examples of how to play because I was making some really critical mistakes, using unsafe moves, didn't understand how godlike st.HK was etc.

I KNOW I'm using Alex wrong because I'm kind of just using him like a crappier Birdie. But my god I just didn't win shit with him today. Most of my wins were other Alexes and people who sat fullscreen the whole time.

mbpm1

I mean in my case with Bison I took to him naturally but even in that case I needed to be shown examples of how to play because I was making some really critical mistakes, using unsafe moves, didn't understand how godlike st.HK was etc.

I KNOW I'm using Alex wrong because I'm kind of just using him like a crappier Birdie. But my god I just didn't win shit with him today. Most of my wins were other Alexes and people who sat fullscreen the whole time.

How I won with him when I tried him out yesterday was just:

-Apply pressure with distanced lp dash chop thing or flash chop
-anti-air with jab or cr. hp into qcf chop
-mixup with dash chop and dash into buttons/throws
-random stomps lel
-Basic meaty pressure/grab mixups on knockdown.
-crush counter st hk
-going through moves with ex dash chop
-Block a lot

Still, he feels awkward.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Getting "Failed To Retrieve stats" after every match, and when choosing the rematch option i got 2 "Opponent disconnected" and 2 "Disconnected from server"

S E R V E R B O Y S

qcf x2

Birdie can do a cross up and land in front. Is this known? It happened on accident and I tested it in training. I have not a reliable way to hit it yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=truLJ9Pjcuk

This bullshit happened to me last night when I was fighting a Nash. I was on the verge of an awesome comeback when I got hit by that garbage (j MK for Nash). Capcom, bro... they have yet to figure out how to make cross ups work since they ditched sprites.

This bullshit happened to me last night when I was fighting a Nash. I was on the verge of an awesome comeback when I got hit by that garbage (j MK for Nash). Capcom, bro... they have yet to figure out how to make cross ups work since they ditched sprites.
Birdie's hurtboxes are so weird. More than a few times, I switched directions to anticipate a cross up, because my opponent's attack very clearly is behind Birdie's head, and just got hit from the front.

Better to just cr.mp everything.

So I've only put in about 2-3 hours with Alex so far and while I sound kind of down on the character I want him to be viable. So does anyone have any tech that I may not be aware of?

I feel like Alex should have been what Birdie is honestly.

Isaccard

s'only day 2, give it time, hit the lab see what you can find, and just have fun for now idk

Hey guys, guess what?

I'm back down to bronze. Only took 4 losses with Alex.

I'm really disappointed with how his toolkit gets stuffed super easily.

qcf x2

Birdie's hurtboxes are so weird. More than a few times, I switched directions to anticipate a cross up, because my opponent's attack very clearly is behind Birdie's head, and just got hit from the front.

Better to just cr.mp everything.

Yeah, the hurt boxes are weird. I'm talking about Nash though. I was Mika, the opponent was Nash, his j MK did what the Birdie j MP did in the link that was posted. And it wasn't rollback. And it wasn't consistent. It only happened once, it kinda felt like the game pulled a 50/50 on me.

BiggNife

This is a long shot but does anyone here main Fang and would be willing to just do some lobby matches at some point

I fight him so rarely in ranked that I just don't know the matchup for Vega and I lose almost every time

Also to be clear I'm only ultra bronze so I'm pretty scrubby

Getting Alex's headbutt out of a stand MP or HP is pretty tricky. I've been practicing it, but it seems like I can only get it to come out like 2 out of 5 tries. I'm bad at charge moves on pad in general though

mbpm1

This is a long shot but does anyone here main Fang and would be willing to just do some lobby matches at some point

I fight him so rarely in ranked that I just don't know the matchup for Vega and I lose almost every time

Also to be clear I'm only ultra bronze so I'm pretty scrubby

What a coincidence lol, I just beat a FANG with Vega lol

Don't use FANG tho sry

Been kind of a long day, but I feel like I'm finally past the flu that has been dragging me down since the weekend. Alex is fun, but you can also see that he's not quite the mobile grappler he was in 3S. Parries and power bombs are nice to have around regardless. Online is weird but nice today. I got no ragequits and I soundly beat an annoying 4K Ryu. Sucker wanted a rematch after I ran 170 points from his shoto ass. Get out of here with that. I don't rematch anyone even if I get double perfected (which hasn't happened yet and I hope it never will).

As far as Alex goes...

Pros:
+Specials do great stun (300 stun on EX stun gun is INSANE)
+His V-Trigger is really neat with the parries and behind the back combos/power drops it opens up
+f.HP looks like a good anti air and close up pressure tool
+He has some pretty nice buttons in st.lp/mp, cr.lk/mk and st.mk (dat range)
+His CA chipping if blocked is nice. I also appreciate that it leaves him pretty close to the opponent unlike Karin's CA
*He has far more combos than in 3S. Most of the common sense improvements became a reality
+All alternate colors look better than his default costume color. why

Cons:
-His damage output is kinda wack. His CA in particular scales just terribly for some reason.
-His normal grab range feels downright terrible. Feels like you need to be breathing right down someone's neck to connect
-His stomp got nerfed a bit too hard if you ask me. It can hit successfully from 75% distance, but nerfing crossups AND punishes on jumping opponents is harsh
-His f.mp chop being a slow ass overhead now just doesn't make sense to me. At least make it fast
-All alternate colors look better than his default costume color. why
-EX stun gun headbutt only does one headbutt. Make Alex headbang on these suckers. Gotta hit them like five times like he does in 3S

Been kind of a long day, but I feel like I'm finally past the flu that has been dragging me down since the weekend. Alex is fun, but you can also see that he's not quite the mobile grappler he was in 3S. Parries and power bombs are nice to have around regardless. Online is weird but nice today. I got no ragequits and I soundly beat an annoying 4K Ryu. Sucker wanted a rematch after I ran 170 points from his shoto ass. Get out of here with that. I don't rematch anyone even if I get double perfected (which hasn't happened yet and I hope it never will).

As far as Alex goes...

Pros:
+Specials do great stun (300 stun on EX stun gun is INSANE)
+His V-Trigger is really neat with the parries and behind the back combos/power drops it opens up
+f.HP looks like a good anti air and close up pressure tool
+He has some pretty nice buttons in st.lp/mp, cr.lk/mk and st.mk (dat range)
+His CA chipping if blocked is nice. I also appreciate that it leaves him pretty close to the opponent unlike Karin's CA
*He has far more combos than in 3S. Most of the common sense improvements became a reality
+All alternate colors look better than his default costume color. why

Cons:
-His damage output is kinda wack. His CA in particular scales just terribly for some reason.
-His normal grab range feels downright terrible. Feels like you need to be breathing right down someone's neck to connect
-His stomp got nerfed a bit too hard if you ask me. It can hit successfully from 75% distance, but nerfing crossups AND punishes on jumping opponents is harsh
-His f.mp chop being a slow ass overhead now just doesn't make sense to me. At least make it fast
-All alternate colors look better than his default costume color. why

This is exactly where I am at right now. Maybe it is just my years of playing 3s that his playstyle isn't clicking with me as much as I'd like. I may be going about him all wrong in this game and might have to rethink my approach.

mbpm1

I feel like they wanted there to be a mixup between stomp and stungun, but bc of the way the moves work it's not really there. I guess you have to be breathing so much pressure down their necks that they're panicked, but that's hard to get. Seems strictly for that and punishes on fireballs, otherwise you'l just get beaten on the way down with jabs or w/e

Csr

Is anyone getting instance where the game hangs after a rematch timeout? Seems to be happening quite a bit.

It happened to me a few times, it took a long time but it showed me the menu every time. Better to chose "end battle" before the timer goes to zero.

Holy shit I just beat a Gief by running out the clock and he literally landed his critical art at the 0 second mark

Maybe the most intense match I can remember

I legitimately feel sorry for him

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I25mepmBElk&t=4m

As you can probably tell by my play I was fucking terrified

I feel sorry for all gief players, the amount of stress you must have to go through being timed out and having to push in on everyone's pressure, it seems like a pretty rough experience.

I've had similar to the above, where the guy has landed moves that would win, after time out. Equally annoying for them, when they work you all the way to the corner and you get out with something gimmicky / silly like a wall jump or EX eagle dive (Rashid). Just seems frustrating.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Granted, I haven't taken Alex online yet, but I like how he feels. Doesn't seem all that slow at first glance (his forward dash is pretty scary). His trials were fun to do, and proper use of V-skill/trigger seems pretty technical. Think tonight I'll play some casuals with him and see what happens. (Thanks for the free trial, Capcom!)

Scum among scumbags.

Hey! My friend is a Mika player!
And I hate his guts. But he's my only local fighter buddy so I have to humour him.

Could be his Time Warner Internet cutting out.

A likely story.

Tan

Rematch funky for anyone else? Every 3rd round I've had ended in a DC.
...or is that really just rage quits every time?

RedAssedApe

Banned
any tips for bison trial 9? is that dash that the cpu does at the beginning required or is it like some other combos where you have to walk forward for a brief frame? i can land all the hits except for the final psycho press.

stupid charge moves lol

GGs Suplex. Those headbutt mind games were getting to me lol. Really gotta work on my Alex AA's, keep pressing MP for some reason. Nice back and forth though, too bad about the disconnects.

GGs Suplex. Those headbutt mind games were getting to me lol. Really gotta work on my Alex AA's, keep pressing MP for some reason. Nice back and forth though, too bad about the disconnects.

Yeah the disconnects are bullshit. Router has been just going red for whatever reason tonight.

I don't think it'll be long before people figure that it's either another headbutt, an AA, or a LK Elbow after the initial headbutt.

Your Alex is pretty good at keeping me away, and you're wise to evade the charge clothesline. Nice HKs.

Tik-Tok

any tips for bison trial 9? is that dash that the cpu does at the beginning required or is it like some other combos where you have to walk forward for a brief frame? i can land all the hits except for the final psycho press.

stupid charge moves lol

If I recall correctly this is the one where you go in to V trigger and chain a bunch of specials together. When in v trigger, you can cancel his specials in to other specials with no charge. So just do all the motions don't wait to charge the head stomp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom