• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ame

So did Alex not get any shop colors? Cause fuck survival.

I really hope he gets some cool shop colors in the next update. Only completed easy and normal survival with him. I refuse to touch hard survival, but so far I'm happy with color 5 and 6.

Trying to hit his limbs while he does his fireball zoning + limbs game is a battle you will loose as a Karin player. You are low health yourself and have to deal with fireballs as well as occational timed port ins in addition to limbs.

Ex uppercut either whiffs completly or does a single hit for 30 damage on limbs (just retested that in training mode). Dhalsim quick rises faster than you are back on the ground after your ex dp. All you accomplish is waste an ex meter for no damage and no positional advantage.

While V-reversal is a decent tool, you don't have it at your disposal more than once or twice per round. Because of that alone it is very limited in use and situational at best.

Furthermore people really overrate Karins buttons. Are they some of the better buttons in the game? Yes, they certainly are! She can't hang anywhere close to characters with really good buttons though. Chun/Vega/Bison rule supreme and you can't hit any buttons in those matchups as Karin. You'll get destroyed if you do.

I got some other indicators this matchup is complete garbage as well: According to the SF V stats page Dhalsim is Karins worst matchup by far, with Karin only having a 40% winrate against him. And to be perfectly honest, it feels even worse than that. I wouldn't be suprised if this tilts even more into Dhalsims favor as people start to learn their characters better.
You say 40% like it's the end of the world....that's not even that bad. That's no Gief vs Seth bullshit.

How are you approaching the match though? When I fight Dhalsim I just go in with reckless abandon.

qcf x2

Trying to hit his limbs while he does his fireball zoning + limbs game is a battle you will loose as a Karin player. You are low health yourself and have to deal with fireballs as well as occational timed port ins in addition to limbs.

Ex uppercut either whiffs completly or does a single hit for 30 damage on limbs (just retested that in training mode). Dhalsim quick rises faster than you are back on the ground after your ex dp. All you accomplish is waste an ex meter for no damage and no positional advantage.

While V-reversal is a decent tool, you don't have it at your disposal more than once or twice per round. Because of that alone it is very limited in use and situational at best.

Furthermore people really overrate Karins buttons. Are they some of the better buttons in the game? Yes, they certainly are! She can't hang anywhere close to characters with really good buttons though. Chun/Vega/Bison rule supreme and you can't hit any buttons in those matchups as Karin. You'll get destroyed if you do.

I got some other indicators this matchup is complete garbage as well: According to the SF V stats page Dhalsim is Karins worst matchup by far, with Karin only having a 40% winrate against him. And to be perfectly honest, it feels even worse than that. I wouldn't be suprised if this tilts even more into Dhalsims favor as people start to learn their characters better.

If I can hit his limbs and get in with Mika of all characters, I'm sure you can with Karin and her comparatively beastly normals. Don't forget Cammy in your Best Buttons list though.

And don't read too much into those stats. I don't doubt that it's a tough matchup, but nobody is above 50% against Sim according to that data. Most of those losses are from people who approach Sim like a regular matchup. He's always been like Gief for me... there's a way to play him, and if you don't do it you're gonna get wrecked. The average player is going to get frustrated and fall apart against this version of Sim, with his high stun and damage potential.

Sim historically can't do shit against pressure, so one or 2 v-reversals should be enough unless you're playing against a pro. I mean, his V-trigger gets totally nullified by v-reversals, lol.

The rematch option in ranked is undoubtedly one of the best features of SFV, brings so much hype. Just played a great set with a very good Rashid and I'm still unsure how I won the last match considering how sweaty my palms got.

Sheroking

I wouldn't suggest attempting to whiff punish Dhalsim as Karin online unless you're very good or well practiced. Maybe whiff punishing cr.HP is okay, because that lingers - but if your timing is off against his st.MK or st.MP, you'll just get hit with the MK that's coming next. If there's any rollback, don't bother.

IMO, the way to play that match-up is to stand outside of his poke range. If he throws a fireball, you can command dash in or even EX Orochi for a big damage combo. If he's teleporting on wake-up, go for the throw and make him stop. If he's just blocking, stay in there and pressure.

The challenge of that match-up is getting right beside him and then making him block instead of teleporting.

Wow..what happened to CountBlack? Why is he banned?

So much talk about Mika...but I haven't really been matched up with another Mika. Perhaps because I play as Mika as well and the game seems to give you very little mirror matches.

Grifter

Anyone else for games? Gold Karin on east coast. CFD - risottoball

You still think that happened? Lol, no I don't think I've beat anyone I met here. Prrtty good players in here.
GGs btw

GGs. Possibly tho! I was getting crushed by Necallis until looking into the match more lately.

ElFly

Did we talk about

Matt Edwards, Fighting Games Community Manager for Capcom UK, released a bit of interesting information on this week's Winner Stays On session in London.

Edwards has had at least a little behind the scenes time with unreleased characters in Street Fighter 5, and he had some intriguing words about the next fighter to join the SF5 roster. When asked when the next character would be released, Edwards replied by stating,

"I don't know the exact date, it should be Guile, but I don't know the exact date."

www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/apr/05/...ds-shares-info-latest-winner-stays-broadcast/

This confirms the graphical release order?

FWIW, when I was watching the CapcomFighters twitch stream on the day Alex released, the guys on stream said that the release order was that of what was already shown previously (assuming they meant the graphic) and that it was confirmed?

If this is true, it makes me sad because Juri is soooooo far away.

ElFly

If history is anything to go by, they'd leave her pressure game mostly intact, but just make it even harder for her to get it started. Looking at the balance tweaking across pre-release versions:

Beta 2: Charged dropkick was way more difficult for the opponent to stuff, f.MK traveled much further, V-Skill was faster and gave more of a damage boost. She had legit footsies and greater damage potential.

Beta 3 / Release 1.00: Dropkick was nerfed, f.MK was nerfed, V-Skill was nerfed, the mid-screen wall bounce was taken away, and Nadeshiko disappeared if Mika got hit right after V-Trigger activation. Basically, any tool she had previously used to close the distance got worse, and she was much weaker mid-screen, but nothing substantial changed about her options once she was in close and had advantage.'

Beta 4 / Release 1.01: The wall bounce was restored and Nadeshiko no longer disappears on hit.

If the designers really felt it was necessary to nerf Mika, I think they'd probably go back to 1.00 status and remove her mid-screen wall bounce on the grounds of making it more difficult for her to corner carry and reducing her damage potential outside of the corner. But I don't see her corner/knockdown game itself changing significantly. In every version so far, it's been clear that she's intended to be a corner bully; the main thing that's fluctuated is how much work she has to put in over the course of the round to acquire the corner.

Mika could be a lot more interesting IMHO if they buffed her V-skill to be faster / more useful, and dropped a little of the mixup or the wall bounce.

Screw Guile.

Let's not say hurtful things we cannot take back.

GGs. Possibly tho! I was getting crushed by Necallis until looking into the match more lately.

Maybe I turned the tide for you? Lol. I think you just helped me beat a tough rank karin just now, so thanks.

Is there anything sweeter than a come from behind victory in ft2 rank match?

Renekton

Question: is Rashid's LP mixer in any scenario advantageous on block?

My 4f jab keeps losing after I block, maybe I misjudged the blockstun duration.

Sheroking

Question: is Rashid's LP mixer in any scenario advantageous on block?

My 4f jab keeps losing after I block, maybe I misjudged the blockstun duration.

I know the properties of spinning mixer are different while the V-trigger is out, but I don't think spinning mixer is ever plus or even on block. LP is just safe.

Tripon

I really like commentating Street Fighter V matches, but for this event I will share my speaking time with Ken Bogard, our French star Street Fighter commentator! Our collaboration worked very well like that last year; I MC the opening ceremony, introduce the players, run the post-match player interviews, and so on, while Ken is in charge of commentating the matches themselves. Finally, Rayoux will take care of the off site interviews in the players' VIP area! But that's just the French casters team, we also have a full team of US speakers for Red Bull TV (Mike Ross and his crew) and British commentators for the Twitch stream (F-Word and Zade). We even have a Japanese channel! Our goal is for everybody to be able to enjoy the show from home in the best possible way.

http://www.redbull.com/en/esports/s...es.TWITTER.17762.No.418264805&linkId=23074338

Red Bull to have an American English stream and British English stream. That is amazing.

Sheroking

Any of you all ever play Derrick Legend in SF4? Dude was the top ranked Juri on XBL for a long time. I regularly got beaten destroyed by him.

I think I just played him in SF5. His Necalli is... um... interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom