• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shito

"Some people" being a vocal portion of top players?

She is easy. Her corner game is a little OD. Whether or not that will merit nerfs is something we shouldn't think about for a while.
It's not like top players are immune to saying dumb things, you know. We've had countless examples of that in the past... ^^

She's certainly not "easy", it takes a certain mindset to play her properly (newsflash: mix-ups are not guaranteed to work 100% of the times, you still have to take the correct decision on the offense part as well!) and to be able to deal with clever opponents who know how to shut her down by exploiting her many weaknesses.

Sheroking

Mika is easy if her opponent don't know how to play against Mika.

If her opponent knows how to play against her, she is not easy to play at all.

No character in this game has a situation as tilted and favorable as Mika with the corner. There is no "knowing how to fight her" in that situation, it's a matter of making a correct, hard read to get yourself out of trouble. Which is why you will be watching tournament players get run over by Mika for the next year or more.

Yeah, she has to work to get the corner. Nobody is saying she's flawless or ban worthy or anything - just dumb and easy. You don't need to apologize for playing a dumb, easy character. I did it for 5 years in SF4.

Trickster

No character in this game has a situation as tilted and favorable as Mika with the corner. There is no "knowing how to fight her" in that situation, it's a matter of making a correct, hard read to get yourself out of trouble. Which is why you will be watching tournament players get run over by Mika for the next year or more.

Yeah, she has to work to get the corner. Nobody is saying she's flawless or ban worthy or anything - just dumb and easy. You don't need to apologize for playing a dumb, easy character. I did it for 5 years in SF4.

I just find it tiring that people crap on Mika the way they do, like yesterday where we had that "video evidence" of 1 jab from Mika = dead. When in fact it was nothing even close to that hyperbole.

Sheroking

I just find it tiring that people crap on Mika the way they do, like yesterday where we had that "video evidence" of 1 jab from Mika = dead. When in fact it was nothing even close to that hyperbole.

When somebody loses because they got hit with an errant st.MP, got corner carried, and made two wrong guesses - they're going to be salty. They're going to talk shit. She IS dumb and easy, she is not necessarily over-powered. Need more time to tell for sure.

That's just my position on the character.

Spman2099

When somebody loses because they got hit with an errant st.MP, got corner carried, and made two wrong guesses - they're going to be salty. They're going to talk shit. She IS dumb and easy, she is not necessarily over-powered. Need more time to tell for sure.

If that is all there is to her game (a random, stubby, six frame st. MP) then it is you that is dumb for ever being caught by it.

Shito

Well then, since nearly all the characters in the game can kill you off "just" a random normal and two wrong guesses, I suppose all is fine and the whole game is dumb and easy either way! ^^
Most of those characters don't even need the corner to do that, by the way...

Trickster

I think if anything, right now is the strongest she'll ever appear. I feels it's clear judging by how people played against Marn at NCR, and how a top tier player like Tokido followed Fuudo's Mika into the corner, that people simply don't really have enough matchup knowledge agains't her yet. Like, Marn got away with sooo much shit that he shouldn't have.

FluxWaveZ

The Mika show continues.

I like that my streak of maining characters that end up pissing off the majority of the playerbase in FGs continues.

Westlo

So I'm starting to realize where the bulk of my input problems stem from. I'm inputting a button before I finish a quarter circle b/f input. I bought Karin's story outfit and I'm going through normal and I noticed its why I sometimes fuck up tenko in combos.

This is going to be a hard problem to fix for me.

This was the last post I read in this thread before booting up SFV for the first time since Sat, and this bug just happened to me, da fuck?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
The Mika show continues.

I like that my streak of maining characters that end up pissing off the majority of the playerbase in FGs continues.

Yeah, at this point I fully embrace the hate my best friend throws at her/me. Thing is, she was always going to be my main--I told him so the second she was announced. That she turned out to be such a giant pain in the ass for everyone else is just icing on the trash talk cake.

That said, I'm onto Alex currently. Landing a CC/V-Trigger combo with him is so damn satisfying.

SF5 is a pretty jab-heavy game, IMO. I think Japanese players are of the opinion that if you don't have a 3-frame jab, you're a crap character. Jabs seem to counter so much stuff in this game.
Nah, you have to work on your meaties. Online with lag might mess up your timing, but in a real match, jab gets stuffed on wakeup and in strings just like any other SF. They are really good defensive tools, but if abused you’ll get blown up.

Vahagn

So what's the consensus on Laura. Is she top or mid tier? Haven't played rank in about a week, decided to just do the trials and easy/normal mode survivals for free money plus play round with Alex some.

I did notice that me 3300 LP points that used to have me at about the 12,000 ranking no has me at ~18,000. gotta keep up, want to be under 10K.

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.png

ElFly

Goddamn Birdie's wake up animation is retarded. Throws me off all the time and I end up screwing up my meaties. His cross up animation is dumb too

Birdie is trash in the animation department in gral

asshole barely crouches at all and yet his torso and head are not really there and will pass through stuff like a tatsumaki even when it visibly should hit

I get that hitboxes are independent from the animation frames but the damn things should be close, damnit

Trickster

I just had the weidest fucking bug in the game yet.

For absolutely no apparent reason whatsoever, in my last ranked match the game decided I should play as Ken and not Mika, the character set as favourite character ( even doublechecked after the match ).

Is this something anyone else have experienced or heard to happen?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Spent a while in the lab working on Mika tech, finally learning some V-trigger combos (the mid-screen Marn ambiguous reset and corner cross-under). Proceed to fight a Mika in Casual, and then he invites me for a set of 10. Pretty much play the whole set and lose all but one game. The frustrating thing? He had such a tenuous grasp on the character. Barely doing any combos, no setups, just hard reads. I got my ass kicked by someone who played like they just picked the character up. I wasn't playing on tilt or anything, I just couldn't adjust my game. It really sucks being beaten by someone who very obviously doesn't have any kind of deep understanding of the character, and isn't even playing fundamentals super well or anything. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Hopefully it's just a bad day, or me spending a whole bunch of time in the lab just fried my brain a bit.

I just had the weidest fucking bug in the game yet.

For absolutely no apparent reason whatsoever, in my last ranked match the game decided I should play as Ken and not Mika, the character set as favourite character ( even doublechecked after the match ).

Is this something anyone else have experienced or heard to happen?

Even the game itself wants you to stay honest.

Haven't had that happen to me but it's pretty funny.

Spent a while in the lab working on Mika tech, finally learning some V-trigger combos (the mid-screen Marn ambiguous reset and corner cross-under). Proceed to fight a Mika in Casual, and then he invites me for a set of 10. Pretty much play the whole set and lose all but one game. The frustrating thing? He had such a tenuous grasp on the character. Barely doing any combos, no setups, just hard reads. I got my ass kicked by someone who played like they just picked the character up. I wasn't playing on tilt or anything, I just couldn't adjust my game. It really sucks being beaten by someone who very obviously doesn't have any kind of deep understanding of the character, and isn't even playing fundamentals super well or anything. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Hopefully it's just a bad day, or me spending a whole bunch of time in the lab just fried my brain a bit.

Upload and post the replay. Let us see what you did wrong and help.

Karin vs Dhalsim is a busted matchup. There I said it. It's impossible to win for Karin.

No tools to get in. No tools to keep him close. Dhalsim can literally do what he wants in that matchup and toy around with Karin to his hearts content.
Factually wrong on all accounts.

You have some of the most badass buttons. Hit the limbs. V-reversal the limbs. EX uppercut the limbs.
V-Reversal'ing the long limbs is a pointless endeavour for multiple reasons. The window of you hitting his limbs with one is minimal as it is, never mind that it's an inefficient method of closing the gap with how you won't even get a hard knockdown off of it. And then there's the obvious about how, depending on the character, you deprive yourself of a (comparatively speaking) more consistent way of inching closer to Dhalsim whether it hits or not. There are wiser moments to opt for a V-Reversal vs him. Using Karin's EX Uppercut against his limbs is also equally flawed, since often times you'll only tag him with one hit and he'll be close to (if not fully) recovering by the time Karin touches the ground again. I'd only attempt it situationally; using it for a killing blow if you have oodles of health to spare, for example.

Trying to hit his limbs while he does his fireball zoning + limbs game is a battle you will loose as a Karin player. You are low health yourself and have to deal with fireballs as well as occational timed port ins in addition to limbs.

Ex uppercut either whiffs completly or does a single hit for 30 damage on limbs (just retested that in training mode). Dhalsim quick rises faster than you are back on the ground after your ex dp. All you accomplish is waste an ex meter for no damage and no positional advantage.

While V-reversal is a decent tool, you don't have it at your disposal more than once or twice per round. Because of that alone it is very limited in use and situational at best.

Furthermore people really overrate Karins buttons. Are they some of the better buttons in the game? Yes, they certainly are! She can't hang anywhere close to characters with really good buttons though. Chun/Vega/Bison rule supreme and you can't hit any buttons in those matchups as Karin. You'll get destroyed if you do.

I got some other indicators this matchup is complete garbage as well: According to the SF V stats page Dhalsim is Karins worst matchup by far, with Karin only having a 40% winrate against him. And to be perfectly honest, it feels even worse than that. I wouldn't be suprised if this tilts even more into Dhalsims favor as people start to learn their characters better.
I scoff at using a global stats page as an indicator when Ranked is filled to the brim with players who don't know how to handle most match-ups, let alone those as unorthodox and nuanced as Dhalsim or Zangief. Strawman argument.

Here are the guidelines I've written a while back for you to read through. The broad strokes apply to the entire cast, no exceptions.

I wouldn't suggest attempting to whiff punish Dhalsim as Karin online unless you're very good or well practiced. Maybe whiff punishing cr.HP is okay, because that lingers - but if your timing is off against his st.MK or st.MP, you'll just get hit with the MK that's coming next. If there's any rollback, don't bother.

IMO, the way to play that match-up is to stand outside of his poke range. If he throws a fireball, you can command dash in or even EX Orochi for a big damage combo. If he's teleporting on wake-up, go for the throw and make him stop. If he's just blocking, stay in there and pressure.

The challenge of that match-up is getting right beside him and then making him block instead of teleporting.
Every character should whiff punish / counter-poke Dhalsim. It's the entire foundation of the match-up to keep him second-guessing / honest if one can hold his own defensively.

All of his long-range limbs are a lot slower this time around too, so it's not difficult to perform online either.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Looking to get a decent pad as the DS4 isn't cutting it. Is the Hori Fighting Commander the best? I saw the Mad Catz pad getting shitty reviews.

HiResDes

I'm tired of Cammy she's not as fun as she once was, and I'm thinking about picking up Laura or Mika as I love a somewhat in your face mixup based style. I had to sell my tourny stick due to hard times and I'm using a pad now, so I was wondering which of the characters might have a lower execution ceiling?

I'm tired of Cammy she's not as fun as she once was, and I'm thinking about picking up Laura or Mika as I love a somewhat in your face mixup based style. I had to sell my tourny stick due to time hard and I'm using a pad now, so I was wondering which of the characters might have a lower execution ceiling?

I'd maybe say Mika. They're both pretty low for execution so you should honestly pick what you prefer. Mika's combo's are longer on average but easy to execute. Laura has some pretty crazy V-trigger combos that can be challenging at first but after a little while are easy enough.

HiResDes

I'd maybe say Mika. They're both pretty low for execution so you should honestly pick what you prefer. Mika's combo's are longer on average but easy to execute. Laura has some pretty crazy V-trigger combos that can be challenging at first but after a little while are easy enough.

Thanks man!

Shito

I'm tired of Cammy she's not as fun as she once was, and I'm thinking about picking up Laura or Mika as I love a somewhat in your face mixup based style. I had to sell my tourny stick due to time hard and I'm using a pad now, so I was wondering which of the characters might have a lower execution ceiling?
Mika is easier on the execution / fingers side.
Laura's combos are quite simple and short, but in order to be played properly (ie: with making full use of her vdashes) she asks for a lot of quick inputs. That's where I'm struggling with her at the moment. :D

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Looking to get a decent pad as the DS4 isn't cutting it. Is the Hori Fighting Commander the best? I saw the Mad Catz pad getting shitty reviews.

I like the FC4 a lot. I haven't used the MadCatz but I get the sense that the consensus is that the Hori is the better option.

I use R1 and R2 a lot, and the FC4 has nice flat buttons for both while the MadCatz has triggers for L2/R2 for some inconceivable reason, so for that reason alone, I'd never choose the MC.

I think the d-pad is better too, though I don't have any strong objections to the DS4/DS3/DS2 style of d-pad. Hori makes circle motions a bit easier is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom