• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't been able to play the last couple of days, but on Thursday night I was having the same problem. Trouble finding anyone to play. Within the first hour I only had two matches and both were the same person.

Anyone know how active SFV is online in terms of any numbers. I don't want this game to already be a wasteland online, it's to good a fighter.

I was playing earlier today. Had no trouble finiding matches for hours.

Haven't been able to play the last couple of days, but on Thursday night I was having the same problem. Trouble finding anyone to play. Within the first hour I only had two matches and both were the same person.

Anyone know how active SFV is online in terms of any numbers. I don't want this game to already be a wasteland online, it's to good a fighter.

Fears like this are really unfounded. I've played fighters with a fraction of sfv's sales with a good amount of people to play with years after release. That said, I'm in an extremely good region, if you aren't, I wish you good luck...

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
tfw you lose to the same dude 4x in a day and he's Bison. Edit: now 5. I've received Bison training and tips and it's not happening. Can't punish anything he does unless they do something no Bison above bronze would even consider. I need to watch other ppl handle this dude.

Heh heh Yup. The Bison hate is real. My best friend can't stand him now thanks to me.

LegendX48

How do you guys keep your composure? After a slew of losses I just can't keep a level head, or, to be cheesy, just can't keep my heart in it and basically forfeit.

Some of you guys care about points way, way too much.

Just can't help it, plus the losses hurt.

Spman2099

Gotta have fight request running in the background. Then only hit accept the challenge when the AI battle goes poorly.

I disagree. I was doing that at first, but then I started getting lag during the matches. It is nice to have that panic button, but it isn't consistent and it can lead to you dropping combos. I see the appeal, but I don't think it is worth it in the end. That being said, if you take too much damage, turning the fight requests on and trying to kill time can work.

Kamek

Servers seem to have shit the bed somewhat. Got kicked, re logged in, and can't find a match, after usually getting 1 match a minute.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm never gonna beat hard survival, am I?

You have to boost points and then boost defense when the AI starts to wake-up from braindead.

Or just do trainers if you're on PC

But the entire mode is unfun. Easy is the only one that's actually fun to do repeatedly because it's 10 stages and over. Normal is borderline. Hard and Hell are just awful because it's repeated rounds of brain-dead until they finally wake-up and beat you half to death or the servers fuck up and reset you at 0.

ElFly

Fears like this are really unfounded. I've played fighters with a fraction of sfv's sales with a good amount of people to play with years after release. That said, I'm in an extremely good region, if you aren't, I wish you good luck...

There's no difference if there are 3 players left in the world, or if the whole population of earth is playing, if I still wait upwards of ten minutes to get a match, when logic dictates it should be no longer than 3 rounds + loadtimes for the other player, at most.

You have to boost points and then boost defense when the AI starts to wake-up from braindead.

Or just do trainers if you're on PC

But the entire mode is unfun. Easy is the only one that's actually fun to do repeatedly because it's 10 stages and over. Normal is borderline. Hard and Hell are just awful because it's repeated rounds of brain-dead until they finally wake-up and beat you half to death or the servers fuck up and reset you at 0.
The fact that you get a damage boost for like the first 20-25 levels in Hell makes me think more effort and planning went into making this mode than we think. Which is just... depressing.

Will I get shit on if I use a Dualshock 4 in this game? I'm very new to fighting games (i.e. only played SF4 a little bit and learned how to do the extreme basics with Ryu) and I'm not comfortable with dropping mad cash on a fightstick.

There's no difference if there are 3 players left in the world, or if the whole population of earth is playing, if I still wait upwards of ten minutes to get a match, when logic dictates it should be no longer than 3 rounds + loadtimes for the other player, at most.

Thats what I'm saying. Short of launch day, I don't think I've waited more than two minutes for a match yet. I have to think things are just better if you're east coast US.

M3z_

I got so close to making the top 100 3 times, but now I just can't get over that hump... I get a win away then I lose and get tilted and lose a bunch of points then have to spend the next day or two getting back up there as the top 100 ceiling continues to rise. so frustrating.

Will I get shit on if I use a Dualshock 4 in this game? I'm very new to fighting games (i.e. only played SF4 a little bit and learned how to do the extreme basics with Ryu) and I'm not comfortable with dropping mad cash on a fightstick.
You'll get shit on because of your skill, not because of the apparatus you use. I use a DS4 and I've been able to hold my own against the killers of my region even though this is my first proper street fighter that I've invested time into and played against other people.

You might have problems with some characters more than others but nothing a little practice won't fix. This game is a lot more pad-friendly than SF4 ever was btw.

Nobodies shitting on people in this thread, it's real civil here.
Besides, everyone knows pad warriors are the real OGs, not those fightstick sellouts!

How do you guys keep your composure? After a slew of losses I just can't keep a level head, or, to be cheesy, just can't keep my heart in it and basically forfeit.

Just can't help it, plus the losses hurt.
Some days just go that way, I don't know why. At that point, I get my last win and call it a night.

Always go out on a win.

Nobodies shitting on people in this thread, it's real civil here.
Besides, everyone knows pad warriors are the real OGs, not those fightstick sellouts!

Good to know, but not what I meant. I'm not worried about being ridiculed, I'm worried that no matter how much I practice, I won't be able to compete with the fightstickers.

The trick is to power through the losses and the anger and the self-hatred until you break through to the icy sea of determination, lose three more times, take a round against a shit Mika, and call it a moral victory.

Good to know, but not what I meant. I'm not worried about being ridiculed, I'm worried that no matter how much I practice, I won't be able to compete with the fightstickers.

There's a real advantage, but if you can execute on a pad, you can execute on a pad. No reason not to use one.

LegendX48

Some days just go that way, I don't know why. At that point, I get my last win and call it a night.

Always go out on a win.

I always seem to get ravaged on the weekends. That and going out on a win is just straight impossible sometimes.

The trick is to power through the losses and the anger and the self-hatred until you break through to the icy sea of determination, lose three more times, take a round against a shit Mika, and call it a moral victory.

that's awful specific... and strangely coincidental, I beat and deranked a so-so Mika and called it a day earlier lol

Momentary

Banned
Street Fighter V has me showing up as having no name, no rank, and as a rookie during matches. Shit is HILARIOUS. All the Silver-Golds MAJORLY underestimating me.

God damn Capcom.

For this game, if you feel comfortable with a pad, use a pad. If you feel comfortable with a stick, use a stick. Even in SF4, you could do just as well with a pad I felt. In SF5, it's even easier, to the point where I'd say it doesn't even make a difference.

Trickster

This shit is really annoying, I've begun getting matches where it just doesn't start. When it gets to the part where the earth is in the background and the characters are supposed to appear, they just don't. So in essence the game turns into a pretty screensaver that I have to alt-f4 get end

It's not like a m/kb vs controller situation.

A pad is fine for fighters. It's all about whatever you're comfortable with. A pad player won Evo, so there's that.

Hell there's some stuff I do better on pad than on a stick. But there's also some shit that feels almost impossible to do on a pad versus a stick. But most of that stuff isn't necessary for success.

JayEH

Multiple pro players use pad and have been very successful including the EVO 2014 champion (who used a ps1 pad) and one of the best US players at the moment.

GGs man, really enjoyed those matches. I'd have done a lot worse if I hadn't run a longer set with another Zangief earlier today, dude is definitely a threat in the right hands.

Thanks, man. GGs. Was a learning experience for me mostly. I still got to learn more about Vega's pokes and I have the hardest time with Bison. I'm still trying to figure out what's punishable with what against his normals. Your Bison is solid and your Vega gave me a hard time too. Would love to play again sometime.

Alright, I will consider picking up the game on Steam soon. How are the servers? Is it not possible to set up 1v1 matches against the CPU? Can anyone hook a newbie up with some good absolute beginner tutorials for the game?

I got pretty good at shooting Hado(u?)kens in SF4 as Ryu about 90% of the time, so I've got that going for me.

Xeteh

Alright, I will consider picking up the game on Steam soon. How are the servers? Is it not possible to set up 1v1 matches against the CPU? Can anyone hook a newbie up with some good absolute beginner tutorials for the game?

I got pretty good at shooting Hado(u?)kens in SF4 as Ryu about 90% of the time, so I've got that going for me.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CapcomSF/videos The official SF channel is putting out character tutorials that go over a fair bit.

And as far as vs the CPU... outside of Survival mode the only way to do it is setting the training dummy to CPU controlled.

The best SF player in North America is a pad player.

The highest ranked Cammy on the ladder uses a 360 pad with the analog stick, no idea how he pulls that off. Dpad or bust.

There will be an update in March that adds challenges and trials. They're supposed to teach you the mechanics of the game and how specific characters work.

The reason I'm telling you to wait is because we still don't know how good they might be so hopefully they'll be a good tool for learning.

Capcom has also uploaded introduction videos for most of the characters but for game mechanics, I'd recommend watching Bafael's videos. Someone else will hopefully link to some good tutorials as well.

Also no, you can't set up 1v1 matches against the CPU. There is survival mode but it's not conducive for learning anything.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CapcomSF/videosThe highest ranked Cammy on the ladder uses a 360 pad with the analog stick, no idea how he pulls that off. Dpad or bust.
I play on the Dualshock 4 and use the stick. I also almost exclusively play charge characters. The 360's analog is kinda better, I'd argue.

Vex_

Banned
Believe me, I'm well on the way an ulcer at this point. It's not necessarily the rank itself, it's that I CAN play at that level or higher occasionally but choke.

I think that's the worst part. Knowing you are better than what you are showing. But sometimes I freeze up, and my opponent DOMINATES ME.

ElFly

Thats what I'm saying. Short of launch day, I don't think I've waited more than two minutes for a match yet. I have to think things are just better if you're east coast US.

this is an outrage. I cry of happiness everytime I get a match in two minutes

I assume capcom internal testing tells them that's the normal and that's why we haven't heard anything about this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom