• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my copy today! I played a little bit of Story mode SFIV on PS3 (but wasn't very good), and have had a few SFV sessions in the last couple of weeks with some friends who are good.

I feel like even from those past matches the learning curve and general feel of SFV are way better than IV. Maybe it helps to have had people teaching me in the room, but I have done pretty well against one of them and I won against my first three casual opponents online.

But yeah the game is amazing. I currently main Rashid which I hear is not super common?

Edit: What's the limitations of the cross platform play? Can I look up people by Fighter ID? Does mic audio work in the lobbies?

Edgeward

I feel like 90% is that I just can't physically react in time, to higher ranked players.

Not all of it is reaction based. That is a misconception many people make. Part of it anticipating and having it in your mind to react a certain way with a particular punish, AA, etc. This requires learning the spacing and opponent's tendencies. Sometimes early on it will require you to just block the attack first and just have patience to observe what particular go to moves they like to do - tick throws, overheads, fireball traps, etc.

The other part is having it be reflexive enough that you can pull it out and it is just a matter of confidence, comfortability to pull off the move in a smooth motion under duress.

Just got my copy today! I played a little bit of Story mode SFIV on PS3 (but wasn't very good), and have had a few SFV sessions in the last couple of weeks with some friends who are good.

I feel like even from those past matches the learning curve and general feel of SFV are way better than IV. Maybe it helps to have had people teaching me in the room, but I have done pretty well against one of them and I won against my first three casual opponents online.

But yeah the game is amazing. I currently main Rashid which I hear is not super common?

Edit: What's the limitations of the cross platform play? Can I look up people by Fighter ID? Does mic audio work in the lobbies?

You can look up people by Fighter ID and have them as your favorite but you will not to be able to see or be notified when they are online at all times. Only when you look at your list. No mic or text chat, just pre-selected phrases. Those will have to be done with off-game alternative solutions.

SephLuis

I think I got one more in me after this Luis :D

GGs. Hope you got the hang of cross ups. Now, it's a question of practice. Even pros fall in it from time to time.

A few tips to improve your game with Karin:

- Go to training mode and try every normal and special attack she has. Check what their ranges are so that you get a feel when to use them. This will help a lot when you are into a footsie heavy match.

- Remember that many of her attacks aren't safe. For example, cr.HK isn't safe, but from certain distances it cannot be punished by many characters. Safe is when the opponent can block the attack and there isn't enough time for them to punish it.

Any of the Ressenhas follow-up aren't safe, but you can play with it. Launch and Ressenha and, if they block it, try using a grab. If they start to see the grab coming, use the leg follow up. Those little mix ups can destroy an opponent defense really easily.

- Check this combo video and practice so you can punish people when they make mistakes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzUN5NbVByI

- Karin anti-air aren't really good. They are useless against cross-ups and even at the right distance they trade a lot. After hitting HP on an anti-air, you can follow up with a dash to trick your opponent

- Remember that Karin is a highly aggressive character. She is strong when close to the opponent so all her attacks are useful to close the distance. Sometimes you have to be patient when doing that and the dash is her most useful tool. Using the shoulder follow-up it's safe on block, but you cannot attack after it. So use the shoulder a lot.

I guess that's it for now. If you play a little per day, I guess you will improve a lot and soon.

Xeteh

I feel like I've learned nothing at all other than I'm sluggish, but you're an absolute doll for helping me out with a lounge like that Luis <3

You'll get better, man. I played a ton of SFIV and I can tell I've improved a shitload. I'm still awful but I'm way better than where I was.

FluxWaveZ

whoops, I didn't think so many random people would join like that. I'm just going to kick everyone and make it private unless you know some of them.

Yeah, that's gonna happen if you don't make a lobby private. I don't know any of these players, no.

It's insanely laggy, too, holy crap. Make sure when you make another lobby to make it a FTX, so we don't have to always go back to the main menu after a match.

I-Have-No-Idea-What-Im-Doing-Dog-02.jpg

SephLuis

There is no way I'm going to become good at this game. Fucking terrible with no chance at improvement. I dunno how you guys do it.

I started bad. Real bad. Used to play SF2 online and my friend would beat me easily.

Then I got into reading SRK tutorials for beginners and went training. Got my fundamentals down and soon started winning. Those fundamentals still allow me to change to almost any fighting game and beat other beginners by quite some margin.

Read my tips before and it should improve your game. Read about fighting game fundamentals and it will help you with pretty much any FG ever.

FluxWaveZ

Oh dear god, will edit this with my comments in a second but I had no idea what I was getting into. This is horrible

Ha, ggs. I assume you're relatively new to the game? Yeah, I've put in quite a bit of time and today's actually the first time I've played Laura, so there's definitely a skill discrepancy.

Anyone else wanna fight?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Ha, ggs. I assume you're relatively new to the game? Yeah, I've put in quite a bit of time and today's actually the first time I've played Laura, so there's definitely a skill discrepancy.

Anyone else wanna fight?

A Mika trial by fire, eh? There's no better way to go.

I'll just put it here.

First off... Sweet Jesus. are you really ranked like in the 400's in the world? If so that would make me feel better.

I have never played against someone so aggressive, and I was completely unprepared.

The thing that pissed me off the most was when I would get off the ground you would instantly get me in some kind of grab (not sure if Laura's special or a normal grab). Had no idea how to prevent that... I also have not learned how to block against cross-overs (is that what they are called?) or maybe more of not recognizing them and thus being able to block them.

Then there was the usual thing of sometimes I wanted to do a specific move and did the wrong input. sigh.

I'm sorry you had to play me. And I thought "oh yeah, I enjoy reading this guy's posts on GAF. What's the worst that can happen?" lol...

Anyone else wanna fight?

Played for the first time two weeks ago against friends with fight sticks. Learned a bit from them, able to beat one of them already. Got my own copy of it in the mail on PS4 tonight. So if I had to guess I'd say about 5 hours of experience lol.

What do you do when you get stuck in a rut? Lately I've been losing alot and I just don't know how to take my gameplay to the next level. For the most part I was doing ok with Nash but now it feels like I hit a plateau.

FluxWaveZ

First off... Sweet Jesus. are you really ranked like in the 400's in the world? If so that would make me feel better.

Online, yeah, I guess that's my current rank on the leaderboards.

The thing that pissed me off the most was when I would get off the ground you would instantly get me in some kind of grab (not sure if Laura's special or a normal grab). Had no idea how to prevent that...

Welcome to grapplers. Get used to that, 'cause a whole bunch of people have command grabs in this game.

Yeah, just in general, you're lacking a bunch of experience which would just naturally improve the more matches you play.

Ah, gotcha. So what do you think? Just never clicked with her at all, even before my friend maining her caused me to hate her.

I think I'm having fun with her; more than I was when I was trying out Ryu. Maybe I'm a mobile grappler sort of player, after all.

This is why I can't play Ryu. I want to parry everything.

I genuinely feel that no matter how hard I try, I don't get better at this game.

;___; Why must you do this.

It's not like you didn't get any rounds on me. You still did better than what you made yourself out to be.

GGs to you as well. Don't drink yourself to sleep! We should probably hit the arcades with AustinGAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom