• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any good resources to see which moves are punishable by which characters? There's a few matchups a dread because I just don't know how to punish and it's hard to learn during a match you're trying to win.

The worst is Karin when I'm using Rashid, it feels like every time I block something either she's too far away to punish or if she's in my face it seems like all of her normals come out faster than mine and even if I try to do something like cr. LP xx spinning mixer I'll get counter hit.

Karin has frametraps for days, you just have to be patient, her st MP is especially deceptive because it makes her move forward as well.

pixelish

arturo became the first person to reach diamond

Sabin@KSB2016 ‏@nycfurby 5m
First diamond in the world at 14k :) can't wait for that Japan trip soon!!! http://ift.tt/1S38Jdg

Cf131YAWEAEmjUp.jpg

Arkeband

Banned
I have a lot of trouble with Ryu players, I seem to underestimate him more often than not. I'm so used to Ryu and Ken being newbie picks but they have pretty solid, easy combos, so good players seem to punish any mistakes I make with huge counter combos.

I'm still trying to git gud with Necalli, I'm beating some ultra bronze/silver players by playing really defensively, but I have virtually no motor skills for combos, so any victories are hard won by chipping away their health while avoiding their combos which will do half my health bar if they connect.

I'm trying to learn Chun-Li on the side, too.

I need a SFV training camp or something.

LakeEarth

Survival mode hard is so painful , so much time lost to fail near the ending stages. I have been attempting it since the release of the game but I am not making it anywhere in this madness. I should probably quit though I am too persistent to continue. :(

Personally, I stopped trying to do Hard/Extreme. I'm thinking they may change it in the future that'll make it a bit more bearable, so I thought I might as well wait it out.

Normal is still short enough that I still consider it fun. Nevermind the difficulty, Hard/Extreme just take too damn long.

Is it just based on the Parry? Because not a lot of Ryu players are using it.

I know Ryu can do a lot of damage, but nothing him about him screams top tier unless you're a God Tier Parry Machine.

It's because everything about ryu is great and he has no drawbacks. Every stat is either above average or the top of the cast.

Best v skill in the game
Best chip super in the game
Huge far crush counter confirms
Arguably Best fireballs in the game
Arguably best dp in the game
Very easy meaty setups make him arguably the best grappler in the game
Unusually high priority jump ins
Hard to punish corner escape tatsu
Great dashes
Easy hit confirms
Unblockables

If you compare to him, the other top characters arent as complete across the board. Chun needs meter for reversals, nash has an awkward anti air suite, karin doesn't have a fireball etc

Which seems like a load of BS to me. Why would he be maining Nash if he isn't the best in his mind? Especially when he probably has a bunch of sub characters he knows how to play in his backpocket too.

He thinks that nash is a top tier character and that the power difference between nash and ryu is negligible enough that it doesn't hinder his ability to win. Furthermore, if you watched his decapre in 4 you'll notice that nash is much more in tune with his playstyle. Not to mention that nash is slightly favored vs ryu anyway.

MadGear

Wow, this Gief called Riskbreaker . He is one of the very few ragequiters I encounter these days and even if he wins the first round the probability of him ragequitting the second round is very high. I hope this guy gets hit by a reset at some point. Hate him.

But yeah as I said, I meet very few ragequitters these days. Now we just need to get rid of those that are left.

HardRojo

Hopefully this month's patch finally addresses rage quitting? I would when Capcom will announce details. We'll be in the second half of the month next week.

LakeEarth

Hopefully this month's patch finally addresses rage quitting? I would when Capcom will announce details. We'll be in the second half of the month next week.

As far as I am aware, there is nothing known about what's coming this month other than the new character. I'm sure they want to fix the Zenny problem ASAP though.

Has anyone figured out if the million FM trophy allows you to spend it? I'm only at half a million. I know letting you spend the FM is common sense, but this game has a lot of odd omissions that negate common sense.

Pompadour

As far as I am aware, there is nothing known about what's coming this month other than the new character. I'm sure they want to fix the Zenny problem ASAP though.

Has anyone figured out if the million FM trophy allows you to spend it? I'm only at half a million. I know letting you spend the FM is common sense, but this game has a lot of odd omissions that negate common sense.

I don't know if we know yet but with the proliferation of trainers for the PC version I'm sure someone could (somewhat) easily find out.

is it possible to get to 1M with the existing content though?

edit: I guess sky's the limit considering character level ups and online FM for wins.

Wow, this Gief called Riskbreaker . He is one of the very few ragequiters I encounter these days and even if he wins the first round the probability of him ragequitting the second round is very high. I hope this guy gets hit by a reset at some point. Hate him.

But yeah as I said, I meet very few ragequitters these days. Now we just need to get rid of those that are left.

What Country is he from? UK?

I think I know him IRL. Has he done it multiple times? Gonna sort him out. He is claiming that it was a DC and not a RQ.

Arkeband

Banned
Not really, hence "hopefully". We don't even know which character we're getting this month lol.

I'm hoping they pick Juri or Ibuki. And if this patch launches alongside Zenny, they'll probably make more money by selling them alongside cliche fanservice sexy outfits, which would be a very Capcom move.

You can if you're willing to do Hard/Extreme survival mode for every single character. Which I am not.

there's a mod for the PC version that sets all survival modes to 1 round lol
I'm surprised folks haven't tested it yet

then again if the CFN police come through that's deuces to ur account i guess

LakeEarth

Yeah, it's really keeping me from achievement hunting this game.

Granted, I never really go for achievements in any MP game.

Well, hopefully the daily rewards will be well implemented. If they give 1000FM a day, it'll take a year or two but I'll get to a million eventually!

But if you're going for the platinum trophy, you have to 1) be good enough or dedicated enough to reach Gold eventually, and 2) willing to dedicate hours of frustration and/or monotony to beat Extreme survival with at least one character. Then you can start worrying about fight money.

What's the recommended path in this game for beginners for improving and what characters are safe to try? My favorite is Rashid but I think Ken is pretty cool too so far, still have a lot of characters to try out though.

jeemer

What's the recommended path in this game for beginners for improving and what characters are safe to try? My favorite is Rashid but I think Ken is pretty cool too so far, still have a lot of characters to try out though.

People were recommending Nash or Ryu early on. I'm a Rashid main. If you're a total beginner I'd probably avoid him for a bit, he has some strange quirks, low damage and his v-skill alone is a bit naff.

LakeEarth

Birdie is quite simple but really strong. I highly recommend him for beginners.

His antiair (d.mp) is one of the few "check all" antiairs in the game, meaning it will hit in front, above him, and even some shallow crossups. And unlike DPs, it doesn't require a complicated motion so you can do it quick.

He does big damage, which allows for good comebacks. Meanwhile, he has a bit of extra health to take more damage.

Usually a problem with big characters are that they get zoned out. And with Dhalsim and Fang it is a big problem (but how often do you run into them?). But with other fireball characters, it isn't so bad. His v-skill rolling can move forces opponents to stop what they're doing, and lets you approach while simultaneously encouraging them to come after you (which is what you want with your antiair and good ranged normals).

The only thing he doesn't have is a good reversal. So you'll have to learn how to block in pressure/wakeup situations.

I think I know him IRL. Has he done it multiple times? Gonna sort him out. He is claiming that it was a DC and not a RQ.

I was going to say... RQ'ing after winning the first round doesn't sound like a thing... sounds more like connection issues. Gotta love how the RQ has impacted the community so that we believe every disconnect is a rage quit.

『Inaba Resident』;200775388 said:
Yeah, I agree with Ryu likely being the best right now. People talk about Chun but Ryu has all the tools plus insane damage. Dude hits like a truck

Truck? Only if it's an 18-wheeler going 70 on the highway.
Otherwise bus or tank might be more appropriate. There's a reason I tossed out my pride as a Ken main for 20 years and started playing as Ryu. :)

Speaking of -- if I wanted to use Hot Ryu on PC, how would I do that? Also, it doesn't seem likely, but would Capcom detect that I'd modded the base model of Ryu to use the Hot Ryu assets and punish me? I think it's time to PM someone...

Ken is not recommended for beginners; hell, I'd struggle to recommend him for people who have been playing Ken for years and years at this point.. He's flashy, which is what I always liked about Ken, but his toolset is limited, his v-skill is super risky as a cancel, and he requires some pretty quick reflexes to get hit confirm combos off his pokes in my experience. As I said above, there's a reason I'm containing my hatred of Ryu as a character and using him as my go-to shoto instead of Ken this time around. :\

BadWolf

If you are new to fighting games then Ryu is usually the best choice.

mbpm1

Is it just based on the Parry? Because not a lot of Ryu players are using it.

I know Ryu can do a lot of damage, but nothing him about him screams top tier unless you're a God Tier Parry Machine.

Put it this way

Ryu is thought of as a jack of all trades, but in this game he's more like a master of all trades. Above average in every category which adds up even if his strengths don't extend as high as others. Godlike anti-airs, damage conversion from solid buttons in footsies, parry game if necessary, throw tech and solid oki game, far overhead, guard break with v-trigger and damage addition, strong frame traps into damage into knockdown potentially, easy comboable super, good walk speed, great dash, etc.

Kikirin

Are there any good resources to see which moves are punishable by which characters? There's a few matchups a dread because I just don't know how to punish and it's hard to learn during a match you're trying to win.

The most straightforward way is to look at frame data and compare the block advantage of the move you are trying to punish against the startup of your attacks. It is theoretically possible to punish moves if:

1) it is negative
2) its absolute value is larger or equal to the startup of the attack you are punishing with

Note that the block advantage doesn't factor in chain, special, super, or V-trigger/V-skill cancels - this is the disadvantage when the attack is blocked and the opponent waits out its entire recovery.

While punishes are on a per-character basis, as a very general rule of thumb:
- moves that are -4 or more negative are punishable with at least a light normal starter
- moves that are -6 or more negative are punishable with at least a medium normal starter
- moves that are -8 or more negative are punishable with a heavy normal starter

You'll still need to try it out in training mode to get a feel for how tight the timing is, and to see if other variables like spacing prevent you from punishing. While it takes a while to get used to using the data like this, it's faster than using complete trial and error on every move.

I feel like 90% is that I just can't physically react in time, to higher ranked players.

Yeah, I'm the same. My reactions are poor, like throw teching is something I just have to assume that this is when they're gonna throw so I'll try to tech it.
Even pro players typically don't have raw reflexes against high-level pressure from skilled players. In actuality, the trick behind this is anticipation; they constantly weigh in options based on their opponent's mannerisms throughout the rounds / prior matches, the distance between characters, available meter and so forth. Universal habits are also included in this: most characters needing to slightly walk forwards to be in throw range again after they jab twice, the likelihood of throws and overheads increasing if you're one hit away from a KO, constantly buffering special attacks behind whiffed normals in case someone does walk or push a button in your range, et cetera. It's all quite subtle in the grand scheme of things compared to knowing whether or not you leave yourself at an advantage frame-wise, but it does matter in the long run.

MadGear

Yes, I think he is from the UK. But before I condemn him to eternal damnation there is a chance I'm confusing him with another Gief player who quit on me a couple of times last week. However at least for todays match the timing of his unfortunate disconnect was very "suspicious".

Mr. X

I'm bored at work so I will write about Chun.

Chun is easily Top 3/4 in a surprisingly well balanced SF title. This means she can lose and has weaknesses.

Her strength is in her normals and walk speed. She easily moves in out of her preferred range to make you whiff and eat counter hits. Her normals are mostly fast and have excellent reach. Ex Legs is a 5 frame safe on block poke that hits about stHP range, ex fireball on block feels like I'm working after a kd. V trigger is on3 of the best, combos from overhead or 3f crlp into crmk xx sbk into setups that make dps whiff or crossup and still leave her in front of you. Watch the stun bar as I run through you with these legs, fam.

Weakness? Bad jump, bad v reversal, bad v skill, bad projectile, bad vs projectiles. Chun shouldn't be throwing fireballs if isn't a crmk xx fireball, worst throw range, only slow ass reactable fHK after midscreen throws because dashing is - if you quick rise.

People are scared of iaLL for no reason. If it isn't after a crlp or stmp, hit a button. Hurtbox is texas sized. She is out of throw range after a point blanked crlp. crLP crlpx2 or crlp stmp means iaLL or bHP frame trap to catch something in start up so don't press after a blocked crLP. Like vs Cammy, take the throw, quick rise and block low afterwards.

Stop letting Chun (me) get away with V trigger overhead. I'm going for it after I push you to a very specific range, the max range where crlp will connect. I don't think her on block frames change either but because everyone gets scared I'm making Chun look like a grappler now. You can't really wait it out, it's long.

V trigger also makes fb better and let's me negate 1 projectile hit with bHP which can cancel into my own fb.

Reversal Ex Legs punishes poorly spaced whatevers and whiffed whatever. Learn the reach.

Don't jump at Chun unless projectile. sLK bHK jMP xx Legs njHK or dash unders are all bad for you, especially in v trigger.

My gtfo move is ex sbk, not v reversal.

CrMK xx fireball is tricky because 4 different projectiles and I can delay cancel crMK. Good luck. Same with bHP.

V trigger activation on Chun wakeup has a good chance of costing me my downcharge for reversal ex sbk.

Since I'm aware of what you should take advantage of, I'm trying to control the pace at all times

Chun is easily Top 3/4 in a surprisingly well balanced SF title. This means she can lose and has weaknesses.

Her strength is in her normals and walk speed. She easily moves in out of her preferred range to make you whiff and eat counter hits. Her normals are mostly fast and have excellent reach. Ex Legs is a 5 frame safe on block poke that hits about stHP range, ex fireball on block feels like I'm working after a kd. V trigger is on3 of the best, combos from overhead or 3f crlp into crmk xx sbk into setups that make dps whiff or crossup and still leave her in front of you. Watch the stun bar as I run through you with these legs, fam.

Weakness? Bad jump, bad v reversal, bad v skill, bad projectile, bad vs projectiles. Chun shouldn't be throwing fireballs if isn't a crmk xx fireball, worst throw range, only slow ass reactable fHK after midscreen throws because dashing is - if you quick rise.

People are scared of iaLL for no reason. If it isn't after a crlp or stmp, hit a button. Hurtbox is texas sized. She is out of throw range after a point blanked crlp. crLP crlpx2 or crlp stmp means iaLL or bHP frame trap to catch something in start up so don't press after a blocked crLP. Like vs Cammy, take the throw, quick rise and block low afterwards.

Stop letting Chun (me) get away with V trigger overhead. I'm going for it after I push you to a very specific range, the max range where crlp will connect. I don't think her on block frames change either but because everyone gets scared I'm making Chun look like a grappler now. You can't really wait it out, it's long.

V trigger also makes fb better and let's me negate 1 projectile hit with bHP which can cancel into my own fb.

Reversal Ex Legs punishes poorly spaced whatevers and whiffed whatever. Learn the reach.

Don't jump at Chun unless projectile. sLK bHK jMP xx Legs njHK or dash unders are all bad for you, especially in v trigger.

CrMK xx fireball is tricky because 4 different projectiles and I can delay cancel crMK. Good luck. Same with bHP.

V trigger activation on Chun wakeup has a good chance of costing me my downcharge for reversal ex sbk.

Since I'm aware of what you should take advantage of, I'm trying to control the pace at all times

To add for her v-trigger pros, it also pretty much negates and beats all armored moves as well, unless you just throwing jabs.

Mr. X

To add for her v-trigger pros, it also pretty much negates and beats all armored moves as well, unless you just throwing jabs.
Anyone who's reversal is not throw invincible, if I corner you, you're eating 2 throws. If I get a corner bHP Cc, vt into hella damage.

Also, Chun meaty bHK is that new hotness.

Whales

Banned
feels like I can't do shit against good mika players :/

Just got beat pretty badly by one, that rope throw of hers is too good

this reminds me of the tips i'd tell people to fight against my elena

just don't let me heal dawg, its simple trust me

Mr. X

Great write-up, but I love this point in particular: I never thought about this possible use for vtrigger!
I caught on when a Silver ranked Mika cornered me. First time thought it was a setup, 2nd time i realized it was to kill my charge. Cost me both rounds, don't think he rematched.

FluxWaveZ

Wait, explain it to me like I'm a baby. What does:
Mean? I'm not sure how this will affect a Chun-Li's charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom