• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

stn

It wasn't even the fireball game that made you lose, dude. It felt like Ryu threw 200 fireballs that whole round, yet I don't think he ever chipped away more than 20% of your health. You just lost because he capitalized on the mid-range (ex. sweeping your whiffed moves). And although this isn't ST by any means, a really good ST player will probably have enough of an understanding of spacing to be good at any SF game (except maybe 3S, since parrys are a whole different beast). And yeah, neutral jump the fireballs.

KingBroly said:
The first part was, because fireballs were super good in SF4.
I'm not seeing it. All the pure fireball characters were not that strong in the grande scheme. And although fireballs were pretty decent overall, you couldn't just sit and chuck. I would know, I turtled my way to victory against top ST players, was never able to do that in SF4. Even Sagat had to play the neutral game. I'd agree with you if you said they were decent/solid, but "super good" is a stretch.

qcf x2

I have a question for the Cammy army, if there are any left (I feel like people have been jumping ship): How do you get in against Ken? His cr hp destroys every single jump in option I have, including EX strike. He's obviously pretty scary on the ground, his dp is fast and hurts, and with her low health, ... that's my least fav matchup. I'd rather face 5 Giefs in a row than 1 Ken.

...Which is funny, because with every other character I use I'd rather face Ken than any other opponent, lol. Maybe it's because I think Cammy's crush counter sucks on wakeup. I think in one of the betas her cr HP was a CC.

FluxWaveZ

Flux don’t let that # 9 scare you man...You have that match, sometimes you gotta just go dumb, he threw way too many FB.

Ha, playing dumb is specifically the thing I've been working at turning off in fights, and it's been working. But yeah, you're right: I was definitely intimidated there, and that can do a good job of holding one back.

Flux only lost cos of dropkicks

Nah, I know I would have lost even if I hadn't drop kicked a bunch. After the first round, I mind screwed myself and I knew he was fundamentally the better player, so I kinda froze.

Neat advice overall, I'll add it all to my repertoire to level up like when I got the same against FlashMetroid.

Whales

Banned
I don't know why the cammy army is switching, that character is solid as heck, her pressure with dive kicks is crazy

or maybe it's just my defense that is shit, but a cammy can bully me so hard, make me block for 5 mins straight then knock me down, rinse and repeat

It wasn't even the fireball game that made you lose, dude. It felt like Ryu threw 200 fireballs that whole round, yet I don't think he ever chipped away more than 20% of your health. You just lost because he capitalized on the mid-range (ex. sweeping your whiffed moves). And although this isn't ST by any means, a really good ST player will probably have enough of an understanding of spacing to be good at any SF game (except maybe 3S, since parrys are a whole different beast). And yeah, neutral jump the fireballs.

I'm not seeing it. All the pure fireball characters were not that strong in the grande scheme. And although fireballs were pretty decent overall, you couldn't just sit and chuck. I would know, I turtled my way to victory against top ST players, was never able to do that in SF4. Even Sagat had to play the neutral game. I'd agree with you if you said they were decent/solid, but "super good" is a stretch.
ST players are great at 3S, also. They're usually pretty damn good at basically any game.

Yeah you gotta watch that stuff. Just imagine this is a clip from a tournament:

v3U5PA.gif

There's no way you think it's anything other than one player going deer in the headlights. Not only are you not progressing your gameplan, but you're signaling your mental state to your opponent.

Flux don’t let that # 9 scare you man...You have that match, sometimes you gotta just go dumb, he threw way too many FB.

Related, but I've turned off the display options for player ranks/titles etc. Helps me out. It's annoying that catching a glimpse of someone's rank/league can get in your head sometimes.

how is anyone supposed to deal with a brick wall Ryu like that? It's like trying to move an immovable object; dude never let you in after the first round or left himself open much, if at all.

Beyond that, I feel like you could've gotten away with a few command grabs in there.
You have to be willing to use the ENTIRE clock. You cannot get impatient.

FluxWaveZ

Related, but I've turned off the display options for player ranks/titles etc. Helps me out. It's annoying that catching a glimpse of someone's rank/league can get in your head sometimes.

You... can do that!? Holy crap, turning that off immediately when I turn the game back on. I try not to let it get to me, but I will always subconsciously either play like an idiot if I'm going against way lower leagues or play super unusually and overly cautious against a way high league. This would help a lot to get me over that.

Quesa

You... can do that!? Holy crap, turning that off immediately when I turn the game back on. I try not to let it get to me, but I will always subconsciously either play like an idiot if I'm going against way lower leagues or play super unusually and overly cautious against a way high league. This would help a lot to get me over that.

Same, except I always play like an idiot

yup, it’s in the options..

If you really want to go in blind, look down at the versus screen. So whether they are super bronze or diamond, you play em the same.

K.Sabot

Leaving ranks on lets me identify what to do vs a player at round start though.

If I didn't see that someone was ranked 10,000, I'd be a lot less comfortable trying to set up zoning against a guy who will inevitably hold upfoward at round start.

Remember how everyone thought Fireball spam would be dead in this game?

yeah...

Ryu needs everything nerfed though. Fireballs, Speed, Normals by 2-5 frames each, damage by 10-30 hp each, less stun, etc.
what/?? If Ryu is the best character in the game, then NO ONE needs nerfs. He’s crazy balanced. Seriously, who’s struggling against Ryu? The player more than likely is just better than you. He is completely adaptable to whatever skill level you are.

Yessir. Glad I can help someone out with that.

yup, it’s in the options..

If you really want to go in blind, look down at the versus screen. So whether they are super bronze or diamond, you play em the same.

Oh, that too. I avert my eyes from anything that would tip me off, until of course the results screen, where I (hopefully) will not have lost 100+ points to a bronze player.

The first part was, because fireballs were super good in SF4. The second part not so much.

You can't simply buff anything and everything to create balance. While buffs can help, you're still going to need nerfs somewhere down the line.
Well sure, but nerfing Ryu seems like the wrong choice. And the nerfs you were saying didn't even make sense. That's why I didn't know if you were serious or not.

FACE

Banned
The first part was, because fireballs were super good in SF4. The second part not so much.

You can't simply buff anything and everything to create balance. While buffs can help, you're still going to need nerfs somewhere down the line.

Fireballs weren't that great in SF4 when a lot of exes and ultras went right through them.

FSLink

Banned
Kinda funny that some people in here don't realize that was damdai aka the SF2 ST legend lol
Also you can turn off names? Sweet I'm going to do that asap. I play much better if I don't know who the hell it is.

Mediking

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";201090332]Yeah you gotta watch that stuff. Just imagine this is a clip from a tournament:

v3U5PA.gif

There's no way you think it's anything other than one player going deer in the headlights. Not only are you not progressing your gameplan, but you're signaling your mental state to your opponent.[/QUOTE]

Mike Ross would say: "That guy is so godlike. What can Flux do to stop this?!?!?!?"

Pompadour

how is anyone supposed to deal with a brick wall Ryu like that? It's like trying to move an immovable object; dude never let you in after the first round or left himself open much, if at all.

Beyond that, I feel like you could've gotten away with a few command grabs in there.

Remember pre-release people said zoning wouldn't exist in SFV?

Mr. X

Nah Flux did the first round. Walk block, neutral jump. Practice the range where crMk xx fireball isn't a block string and see if Mika can poke or armor through. See what range a fast long normal you press to hit his fireball startup. Body flop is a good idea to change up timing to hit AA normals but isn't it super bad on whiff and block?

Use max range sweep to duck fireballs and hit Ryu. Not sure if it'll be safe on block but a good Ryu wouldn't want you there.

Figure where to stand to avoid getting crossed up by corner escapes.

mbpm1

Finally reaching the point where I'm getting enough RQers to ruin my runs.

Hope Capcom gets the penalty system right (they probably won't)

All the Mika hate is garbage.

Alex gets in - he can kill you on mixups
Laura gets in - she can kill you on mixups
Zangief gets in - he can kill you on mixups

Mika gets in - OMG WTF THIS CHARACTER IS SO STUPID URGH BRAINLEEEEEESSSSSSSS

ArjanN

speaking of character design, Lili from Tekken and Karin are like the same person

who is responsible

Whoever came up with that generic anime/manga character trope like 40+ years ago.

That and how pretty much everyone can still do like 50% damage off of one mistake anyway.

mbpm1

But Juice I don't wanna play Marvel

Kappa

Quesa

My theory is that a lot of this is off the back of how "fast" brimstone looks and feels. It makes the mixups seem faster than they are.

Xeteh

I legit think it comes down to the Irish Whip. Nothing infuriates people more than losing control of their character. People will get over it eventually.
No they won't.

mbpm1

I legit think it comes down to the Irish Whip. Nothing infuriates people more than losing control of their character. People will get over it eventually.
No they won't.

They're not losing control though

Wrestling is assisted so their character is choosing to go along with the move Kappa

I poked around in Survival and found out why the AI goes ham on you - in the final few rounds it ups the difficulty to "MEDIUM_HARD"

for reference, most of the levels in Survival 30 are "VERY_EASY" or "EASY_MEDIUM"

hamchan

No they won't.

Pretty much. Who likes getting put into the corner from mid-screen. I sure don't. Fuck Mika.

MrCarter

I poked around in Survival and found out why the AI goes ham on you - in the final few rounds it ups the difficulty to "MEDIUM_HARD"

for reference, most of the levels in Survival 30 are "VERY_EASY" or "EASY_MEDIUM"

Would you be able to change that on PC and play everything on easy?

Mr. X

Mika is the best grappler in the game, probably in the upper half of the roster and people hate fighting grapplers or any character where you might need to play radically different.

There's several at my local, nobody likes fighting good ones win or lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom