• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Zangief can, on reaction, 720 a shinkuu hadoken.

I think it needs to be point blank and not comboed, but I just crossed over a Ryu who woke up with his CA, and I saw it, churned the butter and pressed the button, and cleanly grabbed.
Ken can do this too. I haven't experimented but I bet a lot of characters can do this against various CAs. In practice you don't see a lot of CAs outside of combos so this probably isn't super useful tech. Still a fun way to inflict mental damage if the opportunity ever arises.

Groof

you know that point you reach when you've played so much you're kind of just going on auto pilot? that's me right now.

time for a break i guess

I'm gonna try and get into super bronze again but once again I'm on a loss streak, definitely not playing this game for a while once I get back there

Consider sticking to casuals and lobbies. Casuals for quick, random matches, and lobbies for longer sets. That way you don't have to worry about your point or rank, and longer sets are especially useful in that they allow you to learn matchups across multiple matches.

Ranked can be soul-crushing, but is absolutely not necessary to get better at the game. In fact, you'll see a lot of one-trick-ponies and shenanigans in ranked, since people are primarily concerned about getting those points. When I first started playing (USFIV), I started out playing a lot of ranked, and then didn't touch it for almost a year once I started befriending other players whom I could run lobbies with, instead. And you have GAF to help you find those players, which makes it even easier.

I just beat a gief, I actually just beat a gief, is the world ending?
It's raining blood outside, so .. yes?

Ucchedavāda;198268463 said:
Consider sticking to casuals and lobbies. Casuals for quick, random matches, and lobbies for longer sets. That way you don't have to worry about your point or rank, and longer sets are especially useful in that they allow you to learn matchups across multiple matches.

Ranked can be soul-crushing, but is absolutely not necessary to get better at the game. In fact, you'll see a lot of one-trick-ponies and shenanigans in ranked, since people are primarily concerned about getting those points. When I first started playing (USFIV), I started out playing a lot of ranked, and then didn't touch it for almost a year once I started befriending other players whom I could run lobbies with, instead. And you have GAF to help you find those players, which makes it even easier.

It's raining blood outside, so .. yes?

Casual is an option last time I was there though it was just as hard

Jarekx

I'm worried my connection might be shit and that's why i'm winning so much. I really hope that's not the case.

I'm just winning a lot more compared to when I played SFIV a lot online.

Hex

Banned
Ucchedavāda;198268903 said:
Casuals is not any easier, though you'll more often run into people playing their secondaries, but there is no points or ranks on the line. So it's a lot less stressful.

And you still get some xp and fight money if I am not mistaken.

Iokis

Well I got to Bronze for all of 30 seconds then got my ass beat right back down into Rookie

It's not really about the winning, but I'm already at the point where I don't feel like I'm learning anything new. I just don't know what to do. So some games I'll just get blown up and no amount of self-reflection is helping me work out what I should have done differently.

Takes a toll on the ol' motivation.

Ucchedavāda;198268903 said:
Casuals is not any easier, though you'll more often run into people playing their secondaries, but there is no points or ranks on the line. So it's a lot less stressful.

Right, you're not looking for 'easier', you're looking for a place you can safely practice and refine without the little part of your brain screaming "POOOOOINTS" and getting in the way.

qcf x2

I'm worried my connection might be shit and that's why i'm winning so much. I really hope that's not the case.

Your connection might have something to do with it, but there's definitely a better chance to steal a round or 2 in this game as compared to late game SF4. I have a friend who started playing SF with USF4 on PS4, so last year... he had no chance of catching up to people with 6 years of experience with the game. I finally convinced him to crawl out of the shadows of Survival/Training and play some random people in Casual. He went 12-8, fully expecting to go 0-20. SFV is new to pretty much everybody, so while those with prior experience have a leg up, the barrier to entry is nowhere near as intimidating as it likely will be in 3-4 years when everybody knows the intricacies of the game like the back of their hands.

Unrelated, I have the worst trouble when it comes to combining buttons. I've always kind of had that issue, so throws were annoying in SF4 and to a lesser extent now. But now with v skill, v-trigger also being activated with dual button presses, I lose matches because I get, like, a standing mp instead of a v-skill when I know I pressed both buttons. Then I check the replay and it said I pressed them consecutively, not together. I am skeptical on if that's the case or if the netcode has something to do with it, but I haven't played offline matches yet to confirm. Regardless, I'm now wondering if I need to position the stick differently or consider switching to seimitsu buttons or something.

FluxWaveZ

Well I got to Bronze for all of 30 seconds then got my ass beat right back down into Rookie

It's not really about the winning, but I'm already at the point where I don't feel like I'm learning anything new. I just don't know what to do. So some games I'll just get blown up and no amount of self-reflection is helping me work out what I should have done differently.

Takes a toll on the ol' motivation.

If you're in Rookie, the ceiling for notable improvement is pretty much infinite. Just simply look at replays of your matches and note down the mistakes you made. Look at replays of better players who play your character. Read up basic strategies online. Practice BnBs in Training mode for a bit.

Can I also say that I appreciate your explanation for your wins are outside forces instead of flexing and shouting about how rad you are?

Good attitude! But don't be afraid to have some pride!

Hex

Banned
If you're in Rookie, the ceiling for notable improvement is pretty much infinite. Just simply look at replays of your matches and note down the mistakes you made. Look at replays of better players who play your character. Read up basic strategies online. Practice BnBs in Training mode for a bit.

I agree with this.
If you are in rookie, take advantage of it.
Do not worry so much about winning, think more about completing that combo or that string in a real match situation. Consider that a win.
You do not have much to lose, it is honestly not a bad thing.

Seriously considering ditching Ken at this rate, seems he is so bad in a lot of situations
Although there are different opinions, I feel this version of Ken is not beginner friendly. A person who genuinely knows how to play aggressively can do well with Ken IMO.

EDIT: Though I have to agree with FluxWaveZ, dropping a character just because he seems to not be great in certain situations isn't a good thing to do. Every character has their strengths and weaknesses and that's just part of the character design. Pick the character who most closely resembles the style of play you enjoy and just stick to them. Eventually you'll learn to take full advantage of their strengths and do your best to cover their weaknesses.

FluxWaveZ

Seriously considering ditching Ken at this rate, seems he is so bad in a lot of situations

You'll naturally do better with some characters than others because it's a personal thing, but abandoning a character for this reason isn't right. Once you move onto another, you'll use the same excuse once you get into other kinds of difficult situations often with that character. A lot of characters are bad in a lot of situations.

Are you having any particular characters that you struggle against? Or a move that always seem to hit you 'no matter what you do'?

You won't learn on the fly. You need to hit the books, the lab. I had problems with wake up DPs for a while, so I sat in Training with a Ryu set to Shoryuken endlessly as I worked out what to do on my own time.

Train. It's an actual skill you're learning and Ken isn't easy but he's not bad.

Why does a disconnect or closing the application result in a disconnect of the match?

Shouldnt it just continue with the match but the player who rage quits basically stops sending inputs to the server?

This would prevent a lot of rage quitting because the match would just continue or be logged on the server as if the disconnecting player has walked away from their controller.

Rage quitting or getting disconnected should just result in a win for the player who stays on, so this would be a good way to accomplish this systematically.

Counter strike does this when someone disconnects by replacing them with a bot. Maybe street fighter replaces them with a level 1 cpu opponent?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
If your LP are really keeping you from enjoying the game you should practice in casual for a while.

And if that still puts you in a bad mood, take a break. There are times when I can feel I'm in the zone and I can easily manage my feelings about losing and other times I just don't feel like I'm playing right, I'm in my own head, and the losses make me angry. The temptation is to keep playing until I win but the reality is that I will keep losing. Once I'm demoralized I can feel myself playing even worse.

You have to be able to walk away and reset your attitude. Go into your next session with an expectation that you will lose some. Over time you will lose less but you have to persevere.

ElFly

Why does a disconnect or closing the application result in a disconnect of the match?

Shouldnt it just continue with the match but the player who rage quits basically stops sending inputs to the server?

This would prevent a lot of rage quitting because the match would just continue or be logged on the server as if the disconnecting player has walked away from their controller.

Rage quitting or getting disconnected should just result in a win for the player who stays on, so this would be a good way to accomplish this systematically.

Counter strike does this when someone disconnects by replacing them with a bot. Maybe street fighter replaces them with a level 1 cpu opponent?

Because their server team is full of dumbos who couldn't get this right after 4 betas.

Because their server team is full of dumbos who couldn't get this right after 4 betas.

I just don't understand why the system is designed to end the session if a player loses connection. It would be more practical if the game just saw it as no inputs or commands from the disconnected player.

I just don't understand why the system is designed to end the session if a player loses connection. It would be more practical if the game just saw it as no inputs or commands from the disconnected player.
Perfect solution and brilliant idea.

Makes too much sense, so it'll never happen.

The game does not run via the server, but via a peer-to-peer connection between the two players, whose clients simply send each other their inputs. If it works like IV, then replays are only sent to the server afterwards, which explains why a disconnect results in no replay. This has the advantage of giving you a faster connection, since you are connected directly to your opponent, but comes at the expense of one player's poor connection affecting both players, and is probably subject to more issues since firewalls / routers / etc. are more likely to interfere.

However, since in V you are connected to a server all the time anyway, it should certainly be possible to detect the case where one person is disconnected from both the match and the server, for example because they closed down the game.

SFIV handled this properly, despite not having the same persistent connection, so it is probably mainly a problem of Capcom shipping the game before it was ready for prime-time.

Jarekx

Can I also say that I appreciate your explanation for your wins are outside forces instead of flexing and shouting about how rad you are?

Good attitude! But don't be afraid to have some pride!

Thanks. I've just been worried about it since I learned how the rollback code works. I hate being on the wrong end of it and I don't want to be putting others through that.

Maybe after the kids head to bed tonight I"ll hop on and try to do some battle lounge with gaffers to put it to rest.

I just remember when I played SFIV I felt a lot of situations I just didn't know how to deal with and got frustrated, lost, and never learned anything. In V I just concede that I got outplayed, learn what I can and move on. Karin still bodies me, though.

Well I got 1 round at least...

I have no idea how I'm supposed to get out of the corner

GGs, sorry for the pressure. I wanted to really practice some block strings.

Noticed a few things that you might want to focus on.

After a knockdown, if you dash, you throw. In the last set you started doing some meaty attacks and it changed the game right away. You need to mix up your game more after you score a knockdown. Bison doesn't have any good wakeup options.

You were a bit too passive. You could use more Chunli's normals. Especially anti-air. I could jump in when ever and you rarely punished with anti-air. Chun has some very good anti-air normals.

EX-Spinkick and V-Reversal would be good once in awhile to the wake-up or corner pressure.

Also good that you punished blocked infernos, but for the scissors kick, you should be careful when you try to punish. It is pretty safe from the correct distance.

cordy

Banned
After making it to Silver I've just been playing Casuals and haven't even been into Ranked. Sure, it would be great to get Gold, at the same time the stress of it isn't what I want right now. I think I might just stay Casual until I'm done with the game or at least until I'm extremely great via Casual.

ElFly

Ucchedavāda;198270873 said:
The game does not run via the server, but via a peer-to-peer connection between the two players, whose clients simply send each other their inputs. If it works like IV, then replays are only sent to the server afterwards, which explains why a disconnect results in no replay. This has the advantage of giving you a faster connection, since you are connected directly to your opponent, but comes at the expense of one player's poor connection affecting both players, and is probably subject to more issues since firewalls / routers / etc. are more likely to interfere.

However, since in V you are connected to a server all the time anyway, it should certainly be possible to detect the case where one person is disconnected from both the match and the server, for example because they closed down the game.

SFIV handled this properly, despite not having the same persistent connection, so it is probably mainly a problem of Capcom shipping the game before it was ready for prime-time.

I haven't played through a proxy to check, but I suspect the game is putting more priority on sending replays to the server than registering who won.

So when the other player disconnects, the whole thing comes crashing down cause suddenly there's no replay to report and thus no point in connecting to the server again.

You will notice that once you hit a RQ, you gotta reconnect to the matchmaking queue, which is insane.

Sorry for not updating the OP yet guys. I'm really ill so I'm basically bed bound and my files are on my desktop. I'll try and get it done in the next few days!

f0rk

GGs, sorry for the pressure. I wanted to really practice some block strings.

Noticed a few things that you might want to focus on.

After a knockdown, if you dash, you throw. In the last set you started doing some meaty attacks and it changed the game right away. You need to mix up your game more after you score a knockdown. Bison doesn't have any good wakeup options.

You were a bit too passive. You could use more Chunli's normals. Especially anti-air. I could jump in when ever and you rarely punished with anti-air. Chun has some very good anti-air normals.

EX-Spinkick and V-Reversal would be good once in awhile to the wake-up or corner pressure.

The pressure was what I wanted, I'm clueless on how I'm supposed to get out of it when you aren't doing really dumb stuff (like the guys I beat in ranked). Every time I try and hit a button I feel like I get hit by a frame trap.

I know I need to practice anti air. I think I'm struggling with having the correct directions required on HK as well as being slow. Whenever I was actively thinking about it in the midfield you did the slide instead

I was trying ex spin at the end but I need to practice it more, I quick get up -> jump most of the time which clearly isn't what I wanted lol

I'm not sure if you were going soft but you probably have better punishes for blocked legs.

Ken can do this too. I haven't experimented but I bet a lot of characters can do this against various CAs. In practice you don't see a lot of CAs outside of combos so this probably isn't super useful tech. Still a fun way to inflict mental damage if the opportunity ever arises.

Rashid can do it against pretty much everyone with his. It has a lot of startup invulnerability and a huge vertical hitbox.

Are you having any particular characters that you struggle against? Or a move that always seem to hit you 'no matter what you do'?

You won't learn on the fly. You need to hit the books, the lab. I had problems with wake up DPs for a while, so I sat in Training with a Ryu set to Shoryuken endlessly as I worked out what to do on my own time.

Train. It's an actual skill you're learning and Ken isn't easy but he's not bad.
People pulling off combos when I fucking can't
They always getting inside my defenses yet I can't there's I'm fucking fed up tbh. Training as Laura now.

The pressure was what I wanted, I'm clueless on how I'm supposed to get out of it when you aren't doing really dumb stuff (like the guys I beat in ranked). Every time I try and hit a button I feel like I get hit by a frame trap.

I know I need to practice anti air. I think I'm struggling with having the correct directions required on HK as well as being slow. Whenever I was actively thinking about it in the midfield you did the slide instead

I was trying ex spin at the end but I need to practice it more, I quick get up -> jump most of the time which clearly isn't what I wanted lol

I'm not sure if you were going soft but you probably have better punishes for blocked legs.

Yeah I have a lot of same problems with frame traps. I guess you just have to recognise the spots where to push a button. Or go for the v-reversal to get some space. It is difficult for characters without a DP move.

I don't have that much experience against Chun so didn't know how unsafe legs were.

Getting my arse kicked as Laura now, yay. The game clearly knows I'm new at Laura but sends me against bronzes which I got to as Ken, really fucking fair that
Since my KD ratio is already dogshit I might just purposely lose matches so I can go back down to rookie, that wouldn't take much effort thoug considering I must be fucking shit already

I can't create battle lounges anymore. Wtf...

I only had a problem with this the first week and haven't had an issue since. But ever since last night I just get disconnected from my own lounge within seconds. What gives?

I played what felt like 10+ Laura's in a row yesterday.

As Rashid I find the matchup difficult. I don't want to get in, but I do not benefit from, or have the tools to keep her out either. Every tornado shot is a huge risk, and my normals do not cut it to win the neutral game, at least not against her.

I lost quite a few of the matches. Oddly, the highest ranked (3700 lp) Laura, I beat rather convincingly, but I lost to a 1000 LP Laura, who beat me. It's funny though, cause even the 1000 LP Laura knew what she was doing with the ex electricity reset. It's so easy it's basically 'built in', yet absurdly effective.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I can't create battle lounges anymore. Wtf...

I only had a problem with this the first week and haven't had an issue since. But ever since last night I just get disconnected from my own lounge within seconds. What gives?
Yeah I just got this problem, too.
The best guess is still that people get their profiles f'd up and can't create lobbies anymore. Check the date/LP on your character profile. Spreading like a virus lol

ohkay

Getting my arse kicked as Laura now, yay. The game clearly knows I'm new at Laura but sends me against bronzes which I got to as Ken, really fucking fair that
Since my KD ratio is already dogshit I might just purposely lose matches so I can go back down to rookie, that wouldn't take much effort thoug considering I must be fucking shit already
The matchmaking is done by LP, so you'll be fighting the same people you would've as Ken. Like a lot of people have suggested to you, casual matches might be a good way to go. You'd still be fighting people around the LP you're at and would give you a chance to work on your character without worrying about points

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom