• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
*shrug*

I switched from Gief to Ryu on ranked and was matched up against Silver players in my first matches. Got dropped all the way back down to bronze but that's just how it is. You pick a new character you don't know how to use and you'll be put back in your appropriate place for that character as well.
But is there any reason not to have LP per character?

Or, if everyone really likes the simplicity of a single league points value, there could easily be other invisible metrics that go into an algorithm to determine a skill score for each player and they could be matched based on that. Maybe that's already what Capcom intends but it's hard to tell at the moment.

Game should track your most played character, and less played ones should receive half the penalty in LP....until they become the most played ofc.

That's what casual matches and batte lounges are for. Train your alts there until you are confident enough to take them to ranked.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
trying to get through survival hard with Nash... any pointers?

I either get rekt by ryu/chu in stage 13-15, or somewhere late 20s. highest i went was 29.

I gets really annoying when cpu just reads you input and counters it.

Jump ins and cross ups all day. The CPU may be reading your inputs if you try to play legit but it's inexplicably bad at anti-air on wake up. Get the first knockdown however you can and go from there. That should work up through the 30s. 40 and above is where things get really dangerous IMO but if you can knock down and jump in or cross up it will still work a lot better than it should.

ElFly

Ucchedavāda;198274723 said:
Then pay for your excitement with your LPs. ;)

I honestly think it is ok to lose LP for an alt, cause then you are somewhat matched to people of your skill.

Maybe not so much but then again we shouldn't care much for LP.

Iokis

If you're in Rookie, the ceiling for notable improvement is pretty much infinite. Just simply look at replays of your matches and note down the mistakes you made. Look at replays of better players who play your character. Read up basic strategies online. Practice BnBs in Training mode for a bit.

I took a step back, cleared my head, watched a couple replays and character guide videos, got something to eat, stepped back into the game...

6 wins in a row and back in Bronze. Now this of course doesn't mean anything as we're all scrubs down here, but it's heartening to know that I'm not the absolute worst player on the planet :p

Now I need a break, I feel completely drained from all the adrenaline. Haven't really had a game affect me in such a way since when I was first starting out in WoW 11 years ago and PvP was new and scary.

I'm done for today, but should anyone want to play against a scrubby Laura (EU preferred cos of timezones and all that) my Steam name and CFN name are both Tamath. Feel free to prod me via Steam chat.

Bob White

This is what you wanted! lol, it's still only a day 3 birdie. I still randomly throw out crouch strong during pressure strings thinking I'm cammy.

I think I need that tutorial mode that should have been at launch , it's the only thing that's gonna save me now and even then I bet ill fuck it up

Ucchedavāda;198274229 said:
One difference is that said vet would only pummel their way through ranked once, when LP is account wide, while they'd be doing so every time they switched character, if LP is per character. It would only make it worse for low-ranked players, and add a lot of grind for higher ranked players, since they'd have to get all the way back around the point where they were before.

It's the China stage; if you get KO'd in the left corner, you break down the door to the resturent. If you then get KO'd in the left corner again, you get thrown into the kitchen.

Shit, I had no idea you could go further... God I hope they patch those into all the stages, its so cool. Put a dozen of them into training stage lol.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Dat cross-up

gifvorxm.gif

What's the size limit for gifs on GAF?

I think I need that tutorial mode that should have been at launch , it's the only thing that's gonna save me now and even then I bet ill fuck it up

Why don't you ask for help? See if anyone wants to do some Lounges for the purpose of training?

Or, if there are no bites, turn the CPU on to 4-5 in Training and turn off infinite health bars. Gives you a good idea on how much you can take in a fight, gives you KO screens and everything.

No offense, man, but you don't seem like you're having fun at all. Forcing yourself to play in order to 'get to the fun' is never going to work. You are training. You don't run a marathon after a few tries. Cut yourself some slack and practice.

I honestly think it is ok to lose LP for an alt, cause then you are somewhat matched to people of your skill.

Maybe not so much but then again we shouldn't care much for LP.

I fully agree.
What I said about playing for your excitement with LPs is actually pretty much how I approach the game. I only get salty from losing (including losing LPs) when I feel like I am stuck in stupid mode.

Vice

As opposed to new players getting destroyed because they played someone else? Yes. He will league up as Karin and be in his appropriate league. Otherwise your just gonna get players who are too scared to play other characters and that will hurt the game
It's difficult to balance. If LP is showing player skill then their skills should carry over to a new character and going from Ryu to Birdie shouldn't result in too many extra loses for the player. However, a lot of people rank up due to getting better with only how their character works rather than how the game works, so people who cojld anti air with shoryukens and crouch heavy punch won't get using air to airs or some other buttons to beat jump ins.

But, learning and oosing with newncharacters can be good for learning matachups. And, most of the time it's not the character someone is playing that's the problem.

Why don't you ask for help? See if anyone wants to do some Lounges for the purpose of training?

Or, if there are no bites, turn the CPU on to 4-5 in Training and turn off infinite health bars. Gives you a good idea on how much you can take in a fight, gives you KO screens and everything.

No offense, man, but you don't seem like you're having fun at all. Forcing yourself to play in order to 'get to the fun' is never going to work. You are training. You don't run a marathon after a few tries. Cut yourself some slack and practice.
My biggest issue if I had To name it is input speed, nothing's gonna fix that and without that chaining moves successfully for a good attack is a pipe dream.

I want to get good at this game, I want to like it but between poor matchmaking, moves spammers, rage quitters, server issues and my own failures it's getting hard to go on

Karsha

Maybe someone else found this before but I'll give me 2cents here. I found a workaround to the lag, especially in friendly lobbys. After playing a lot with my friends I noted that the lag would appear in the beginning of the matches and continue for the entire set, or vice versa.
What I figured is that the game "locks" the ping of both of you after character select and it keeps that for all the set, so here's what we did, we set it to ft10 and if the first round of the first match would start with lag we'd quit until it started normal. After it did it continued like that for the whole set.
It's a shitty technique but it does work .

Ferrio

Banned
If they can't tie LP per character they should atleast give me a title that says "I'm not on my main" so people know I'm not a fraud.

My biggest issue if I had To name it is input speed, nothing's gonna fix that and without that chaining moves successfully for a good attack is a pipe dream.

I want to get good at this game, I want to like it but between poor matchmaking, moves spammers, rage quitters, server issues and my own failures it's getting hard to go on

What exactly do you mean by input speed?
For most part, you actually don't need to be that quick to do cancels or links.

Your input speed you mean?

Training mode! Set the dummy to "Block After First Hit" and see what works to link. Then do that shit a hundred times. Not even joking.

You don't sound like you're just starting out but you aren't letting your loses become education. When I'm in a spiral, I get the same way and I'll stop for a few hours to clear my head. It can get REAL shitty out there, especially in Ranked. But each situation you find yourself losing in is a point to learn from.

Someone has mentioned watching your own replays before. I can't stress that enough. You play Ken, right? If you have been watching high level Ken play (You should be), then watching your own will make you want to slap yourself. Of COURSE you got hit there, you did XXXX when you should have XXXX.

Knowing your moves is step one. That's what training is for. Knowing when to use them is step two. Nothing works all the time.

Yadda yadda pep talk, you need to give yourself more credit and practice. You will make yourself hate the game at this rate.

Ucchedavāda;198276243 said:
What exactly do you mean by input speed?
For most part, you actually don't need to be that quick to do cancels or links.
I can't seem to chain jabs or moves into others very successfully or at all, so a punish from me is likely to be a single tatsu or shoryuken, rather than a 3 hit combo leading into something. If I do try something flashy chances are either a I fuck it up by being slow or imprecise or b the opponent is already in block

I can't seem to chain jabs or moves into others very successfully or at all, so a punish from me is likely to be a single tatsu or shoryuken, rather than a 3 hit combo leading into something. If I do try something flashy chances are either a I fuck it up by being slow or imprecise or b the opponent is already in block

Training mode, buddy.

Do that shit til you see inputs in your sleep. It needs to be muscle memory for it come out on the fly! Ten times on the left, ten times on the right, repeat.

It sounds unfun! It's not, because it'll make you better. Do ten times on either side before every fight, use training as a warmup. You panic right now because you think "THIS IS IT THIS IS IT" and nothing comes out.

Training.

Training mode, buddy.

Do that shit til you see inputs in your sleep. It needs to be muscle memory for it come out on the fly! Ten times on the left, ten times on the right, repeat.

It sounds unfun! It's not, because it'll make you better. Do ten times on either side before every fight, use training as a warmup. You panic right now because you think "THIS IS IT THIS IS IT" and nothing comes out.

Training.

Well a combo I'm working on is LP LP MK heavy Shoryuken though you need to be in throw distance to pull that off, so it's risky

I can't seem to chain jabs or moves into others very successfully or at all, so a punish from me is likely to be a single tatsu or shoryuken, rather than a 3 hit combo leading into something.

Outside of training mode, and jump-ins, most of my combos in V are just a single normal cancelled into a special. While I'm always trying to learn combos, I am really bad at transferring them to matches even when I can do them consistently in training mode.

You definitely want to get cancelling down, and that is where grinding in the training room comes into the picture, but you can also get a lot further than where you are now, by improving your foundation, rather than obsessing over longer combos.

If they wanted to do character specific LP properly it would be pretty simple to combine both a character rating and a general rating.

The character LP is the one you would show to the player and the one used for match making in normal circumstances.

The general LP would be a product of all matches played just as LP is now, it could probably be hidden from the player as it would only have influence for match making when the player is using a character they have played very few matches with, in which case you would some sort of weighted average of the two ratings that skews progressively towards the character rating the more matches you play. That means when you start playing a new character you get matched around your general rating to begin, and your character LP will shoot up if you can hang there.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Err.. my fighter ID changed for some reason, apparently I'm now called AzurKane.

Wtf Capcom.
There was a problem of people getting logged into the wrong id. Apparently that still happens!?

If they wanted to do character specific LP properly it would be pretty simple to combine both a character rating and a general rating.

The character LP is the one you would show to the player and the one used for match making in normal circumstances.

The general LP would be a product of all matches played just as LP is now, it could probably be hidden from the player as it would only have influence for match making when the player is using a character they have played very few matches with, in which case you would some sort of weighted average of the two ratings that skews progressively towards the character rating the more matches you play. That means when you start playing a new character you get matched around your general rating to begin, and your character LP will shoot up if you can hang there.
Isn't that just what BP was in 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom