• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ucchedavāda;198276799 said:
Outside of training mode, and jump-ins, most of my combos in V are just a single normal cancelled into a special. While I'm always trying to learn combos, I am really bad at transferring them to matches even when I can do them consistently in training mode.

You definitely want to get cancelling down, and that is where grinding in the training room comes into the picture, but you can also get a lot further than where you are now, by improving your foundation, rather than obsessing over longer combos.

Well what can I do against a fast character that's in throw ranges but is throwing loads of LP and LK with no stopping seemingly, I can't just block forever and after a while they tend to break through unusually via the legs

There was a problem of people getting logged into the wrong id. Apparently that still happens!?

Isn't that just what BP was in 4?

I remember it had BP and CP, but I don't think BP was used for match making, I mean it kind of couldn't be since SF4 had character select in ranked. Unless things changed in Ultra, I don't remember that well.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Well a combo I'm working on is LP LP MK heavy Shoryuken though you need to be in throw distance to pull that off, so it's risky
That's not a combo

I remember it had BP and CP, but I don't think BP was used for match making, I mean it kind of couldn't be since SF4 had character select in ranked. Unless things changed in Ultra, I don't remember that well.
Well and you said to not use "character LP" for match-making, just like it was in 4.

Jump ins and cross ups all day. The CPU may be reading your inputs if you try to play legit but it's inexplicably bad at anti-air on wake up. Get the first knockdown however you can and go from there. That should work up through the 30s. 40 and above is where things get really dangerous IMO but if you can knock down and jump in or cross up it will still work a lot better than it should.

They start doing anti-airs when i try to cross up.

The Hermit

Ia there a list to Gaf's players?

My username is Martin-Br, if anyone wants to test their skills against a low bronze Vega player .

You sure you getting 4 hits? Because that combo is literally impossible haha.

One way to tell if something comboss, in training mode set Guard to 'Guard after first attack'. If something doesnt combo the dummy will block.
Well in that state it pushes me away on the 2 LP then the mk connects and I hit the h shor

Tripon

How do you beat Mika's Irish whip? It feels gimmicky, but as Ryu I fell for it every time and could never shake out ofnit, even with half screen Irish whips.

Hustler

Well a combo I'm working on is LP LP MK heavy Shoryuken though you need to be in throw distance to pull that off, so it's risky

So why not work on easier combos first?

MK HK --> H Shoryuken or Taitsu.

Or

Hold back MP, HP --> H Shoryuken or H Taitsu

Once you get those down, throw in jumping kicks or punches and cross ups.

Then work on pulling off a Taitsu --> EX Shoryuken or CA

It's all gradual and takes time.

How do you beat Mika's Irish whip? It feels gimmicky, but as Ryu I fell for it every time and could never shake out ofnit, even with half screen Irish whips.

I know this sounds shitty, but 'don't get hit'. It's a chain from her f.MP, if you're hit by a standing f.MP, you're done for the throw. The followup is entirely up to them.

The move has a relatively quick startup but it has a CRAZY recovery time if it whiffs. Backdash and punish, my friend.

Xeteh

GGs man, that is enough beatings for me. I had so many input errors, bleh.

At least I jabbed you out of some teleports, that was the first time I've fought a Dhalsim.

Well what can I do against a fast character that's in throw ranges but is throwing loads of LP and LK with no stopping seemingly, I can't just block forever and after a while they tend to break through unusually via the legs

Just block low.
You'll get pushed out of range of their light attacks, which gives you more options, and since lights don't do any grey damage it doesn't cost you anything. You don't necessarily have to do anything more than that.

Of course, you can mash an invincible move through their buttons, but that is very risky since that sets you up to be crush countered, so I would not recommend that you do that.

It's working for me though
Have you set the dummy to block after the first attack?

Bob White

ggs

Some quick Cammy tips. Use stand roundhouse more. If they jumped while you hit the button, you can still anti air. Crouch fierce into vtrigger is just free pressure. It's not unbeatable but it gives you free momentum while they down back and you try and open them up.

Edzi

If you're hit, there's no way out. I honestly feel like it was a mistake to let her get the wall bounce from anywhere on screen if you backdash. Every Mika I go against just spams st. MP to get the easy wall bounce combo every time.

Xeteh

ggs

Some quick Cammy tips. Use stand roundhouse more. If they jumped while you hit the button, you can still anti air. Crouch fierce into vtrigger is just free pressure. It's not unbeatable but it gives you free momentum while they down back and you try and open them up.

Thanks.

I missed so many links with s.hp, my reactions are just balls. Thanks for the fights though.

Tripon

The rope toss?

You can't get out of it once she connects.

I know this sounds shitty, but 'don't get hit'. It's a chain from her f.MP, if you're hit by a standing f.MP, you're done for the throw. The followup is entirely up to them.

The move has a relatively quick startup but it has a CRAZY recovery time if it whiffs. Backdash and punish, my friend.
Hmm, okay. Just got to watch out of it. Is there any easy tells when a Mika player is setting up for it?

BadWolf

How? Just use it when you're near a corner.

It would make her boring and limited outside the corner.

Hmm, okay. Just got to watch out of it. Is there any easy tells when a Mika player is setting up for it?

Just block.

It's super hard to hit confirm it so most players just commit and if they commit then they are screwed as the recovery is super long if the first part is blocked and the follow up comes out.

It's not a throw and it doesn't chain from her ground normals. A j.HK combos, though, so blocking high on her jumps or AA is best. On the ground, a block keeps you clear of it and if they commit to it? Free punish with the whiff.

mbpm1

It's working for me though

No way is that a combo. You're hitting with the two light punches and then the mk isn't properly blocked after.

That would work in SFIV but the frame data for SFV means that is literally impossible.

Are you sure you're setting the dummy to block after the first hit? Bc if you're trying things that only work bc the training dummy doesn't block no wonder you're not combo'ing in actual matches

Tripon

Man, that would ruin Mika... It would make her less fun and really hurt her viability. It is hard to say how good she is right now, but no one is saying she is top and there is a reason for that.
Tampa Bison did the the other day. Dude was salty as heck....

No way is that a combo. You're hitting with the two light punches and then the mk isn't properly blocked after.

That would work in SFIV but the frame data for SFV means that is literally impossible.

Are you sure you're setting the dummy to block after the first hit? Bc if you're trying things that only work bc the training dummy doesn't block no wonder you're not combo'ing in actual matches
. With on first hit on the dummy blocks the 2 punches but leaves himself open to the mk and h shor as a result

Zackat

What's the very best resource out there for beginners? I've played a few hours, had some fun, but it's clear that I don't have the fundamentals down.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL45-KVgrSkf4X981AoUKPlz34VNnJFhYp

Good place to start. There are other videos on that channel, some using sf4, that are all relevant to sf5.

Also Juicebox's Footsies video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQQCan5oo90 it's long but pretty good.

And the eBook that you should read: http://shoryuken.com/2014/07/07/lea...ng-games-with-our-free-beginners-guide-ebook/

There is also a thread for new players http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1162886

Vice

I think lp into crouching medium punch works on counter hit and in v trigger. I believe medium kick has more starup, so even if it does work standing medium punch or crouching medium punch would be more consistent with the same amount of damage.

You can work on comboing crouching medium ounch into his medium punch target combo. It's a little slower than stand lp but a lot easier to time and more damaging.

qcf x2

If you're hit, there's no way out. I honestly feel like it was a mistake to let her get the wall bounce from anywhere on screen if you backdash. Every Mika I go against just spams st. MP to get the easy wall bounce combo every time.

I use Mika and I agree. It's strong enough as a corner-only tool, wall bounce from mid screen is definitely gonna get the Ken Griffey Jr nerf bat someday.

As for what to do, if you can block the sequence she's done for. If they are hit confirming, you're done for.

Sheroking

I don't know what it is with SF people who just want their grapplers to be literally nothing but that.

Not that I agree that her irish whip is too good, but you need to be careful about giving grapplers too much. Command grabs are super powerful and that's an archetype that, if allowed to be too well-rounded, can become incredibly obnoxious and un-fun to fight.

Characters that get good damage or mix-ups from command grab set-ups NEED to have serious holes to exploit.

Not that I agree that her irish whip is too good, but you need to be careful about giving grapplers too much. Command grabs are super powerful and that's an archetype that, if allowed to be too well-rounded, can become incredibly obnoxious and un-fun to fight.

Characters that get good damage or mix-ups from command grab set-ups NEED to have serious holes to exploit.
Maybe I don't have enough experience against her but I feel like when I'm in the corner, I may as well put the controller down. No other character does that to me.

Damage needs to be reduced or something. Right now it's kind of ridiculous.

Rektash

Ucchedavāda;198278805 said:
She's not the strongest woman in the world for nothing.

No matter which buttons she presses. Chun Li wins.

Her V Skill is zero effort, free ambigeous crossups.

Her V Trigger is broken garbage.

Fuck her.

Sheroking

Maybe I don't have enough experience against her but I feel like when I'm in the corner, I may as well put the controller down. No other character does that to me.

Damage needs to be reduced or something. Right now it's kind of ridiculous.

Well, some top players are pretty salty about her right now, so you might not be too far off.

I feel as though her neutral is among the worst in the game and her corner game is super strong to compensate, but I'm not quite sure about her other match-ups. Maybe other characters have a harder time keeping her out than Karin.

Bubba77

I think I need to put SF5 down for a while. Especially ranked mode. The ragequitting is just bothering the crap out of me. I hadnt played in a few days because of the division so of course I open up with a losing streak. Then I win a few games to bust out of it but of course both ragequit.....So no comeback for me. Then lose my next two matches.....

I think Ill come back when they find some real fix for this. Its just hurting my psyche!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom