• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it not look at your LP during casual matches? I'm getting matched up with ridiculous people. Just fought a 6000+ and 7000+ and I'm only 1500 lol. This really isn't fun.

st.hk is solid on meaty and can link into medium elbow, which does good damage.

Her st.hp is amazing for CCs though since that can link into almost any button, including itself.
I must be facing some truly terrible Lauras because I genuinely have never seen a Laura go for a st.HP CC. Didn't even know that it did, wow.

The St.hp is then definitely a much better CC than the st.hk. Just think that the st.hk is too slow and predictable to be a good meaty and her overhead is even more reactable.

I must be facing some truly terrible Lauras because I genuinely have never seen a Laura go for a st.HP CC. Didn't even know that it did, wow.

The St.hp is then definitely a much better CC than the st.hk. Just think that the st.hk is too slow and predictable to be a good meaty and her overhead is even more reactable.

st.HP CC is mostly used on resets where they're plus or when they're in your face on plus. It's bad in the neutral range where most laura's are usually gonna be sticking out st.mk/cr.mk/cr.mp or fireballs.

st.hk and overhead especially are slow and fairly easy to react to, but i still can catch a decent amount of people off guard with both assuming I rarely use it.

Shito

st.HP is the better CC button yes, she also has some frame traps leading to st.HP CC.

I've seriously lost probably the past 10 matches I've played. And I'm at 0 LP so it's not like I can go any lower in the ranks. This game just keeps putting me against fantastic players. For comparison I can hold my own pretty well in Mortal Kombat X. But in this I feel like I'm just wasting my time. Feels impossible. I'm using a stick, holding it correctly, done lots of training. Combos, special moves 10x each direction in a row, all that. Can't beat *anyone*. :(

I've never played a game that punishes noobs this much. There has to be other weak players out there that it can match me against instead of consistently matching me against 490LP players.
You're not playing against fantastic players against Bronze. Those are the exception rather than the rule. Odds are you simply don't know what to look for with regards to kicking your gameplan into motion. Focus on how to defend yourself (including anti-airing), knowing how to punish unsafe moves, how to space your normals et cetera.

No but there have been theories.

"Fucking Annoying New Guy" is my personal favourite.
"Fucking Asshole Negates Guard"

Stick is good, but you should stick to pad if you just intend to play SFV. Sticks players refuse to admit it, but pads are way, way more efficient than sticks in SFV, and it was already the case in SFIV. If you can afford to buy a stick, just go for a Dualshock of your choice (I recommand 2) and a chronus, or just go the DS4 route.
Having played with pad for years with SFIV and only a month and a half on stick for V; movement was easier with the former, combos with the latter. Even went back to IV now that I'm using a stick to see whether it was placebo effect and even across different games it was less of a struggle to execute links.

All it really boils down to though is where your comfort zone lies. Both have their up- and downsides.

Well you know how fighting R.Mika turns into a guessing game when she's got you in the corner?
Like that but it only takes one successful grapple or shoulder to get in that position.

Her fireball may not look like much but it allows her to go for mixups that can get extremely hard to predict. Her v-skill dash is fairly fast and her overhead can sometimes catch you from a distance you thought you'd be safe.

I will say that she takes a damn good understanding of offense and the ability to make reads to be successful with her.

Though her Crush counters are absolutely terrible IMO. The HK is so unsafe, realistically only doable when it's a guaranteed CC.

EDIT: Her EX moves are by-far some of the best in the game as far as how much better they are compared to the regular ones. And as skLaFarebear pointed out, she has fairly solid tools in a footsie situation.
Not saying they're bad, they're definitely good. I was just saying that other characters have more unpredictable frame traps than hers.

Her crush counters are not terrible and have multiple applicatiosn and times for usage. Also, the fact that she has 3 of them, not including the obligatory sweep CC whereas most have 2 or less is a beautiful thing.

Skilletor

Stick is good, but you should stick to pad if you just intend to play SFV. Sticks players refuse to admit it, but pads are way, way more efficient than sticks in SFV, and it was already the case in SFIV. If you can afford to buy a stick, just go for a Dualshock of your choice (I recommand 2) and a chronus, or just go the DS4 route.

Wait, wut?

Please explain how it is "more efficient," and how it was already the case in SF4 with stuff like plinking and piano inputs.

Aren't Laura's elbows unsafe if you block them? I remember getting Birdie's command grab every time after guarding against it.

Got wrecked by an R.Mika last night. Holy shit.

Also.. I taunt when I am feeling competitive :)

I feel like if I get away with something that I shouldn't have, it deserves a taunt.

"Fucking Asshole Negates Guard"
Hehe, you're a Dhalsim player right? I used to think the FANG v Dhalsim matchup was more in Dhalsim's favour but oh man, Dhalsim actually has trouble with this matchup. My poison balls are fairly useless in this matchup, short of cancelling his air fireball from a distance but the V-skill, the V-trigger and traps are actually extremely useful against Dhalsim.

Beating my friendly neighbourhood Dhalsim player 7 matches in a row as FANG convinced me to main him. And that dude's been playing Dhalsim since SF4.

Would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Shito

Aren't Laura's elbows unsafe if you block them? I remember getting Birdie's command grab every time after guarding against it.

LP elbow is -2, MP elbow is -7 (punish this!), EX is -11 (punish punish!)
You can tell the difference between the two by the height at which she comes at you with her elbow: waist is LP, face is MP
You're better off throwing a 3-4 frames normal after the LP version, that way you gain the advantage back, otherwise the Laura player will just throw tech and you'll be back to the neutral game.
:)
Command grab is a good idea after a blocked LP elbow, because most Laura's will tend to block and be ready for the throw tech after it, but it you always go this route they can jump out of it.

Well you know how fighting R.Mika turns into a guessing game when she's got you in the corner?
Like that but it only takes one successful grapple or shoulder to get in that position.

Her fireball may not look like much but it allows her to go for mixups that can get extremely hard to predict. Her v-skill dash is fairly fast and her overhead can sometimes catch you from a distance you thought you'd be safe.

I will say that she takes a damn good understanding of offense and the ability to make reads to be successful with her.

Though her Crush counters are absolutely terrible IMO. The HK is so unsafe, realistically only doable when it's a guaranteed CC.

EDIT: Her EX moves are by-far some of the best in the game as far as how much better they are compared to the regular ones. And as skLaFarebear pointed out, she has fairly solid tools in a footsie situation.
Not saying they're bad, they're definitely good. I was just saying that other characters have more unpredictable frame traps than hers.

terrible opinion right here

Skilletor

I feel like if I get away with something that I shouldn't have, it deserves a taunt.

Yeah, except lp which is only -2, and good laura players will only use a stronger version on hit.

dem0neyes

That has to be a terrible joke right?

Owensboro

I'm the one from the video you're talking about.

The plot. It thickens.

Drastically, too. I didn't know the exact circumstances, just caught the blowback.

Perhaps coward is too charged of a word. I apologize. I used it because I thought I was being accused of mashing somehow (didn't know it was about an exact video). I'm much more comfortable with "weak" in this instance. It makes you look weak.

P.S. I'm awful at this game. I still have fun with it.

mbpm1

Drastically, too. I didn't know the exact circumstances, just caught the blowback.

Perhaps coward is too charged of a word. I apologize. I used it because I thought I was being accused of mashing somehow (didn't know it was about an exact video). I'm much more comfortable with "weak" in this instance. It makes you look weak.

Settle it in 3DS SF4. Guile only. Lite Inputs only. :D

notworksafe

losing makes you look weak. falling for the taunt bait makes you look weak. taunting and winning makes you hilarious.

Not really, friendo.
supernatural-awkward.jpg

vixlar

DS4 vs Stick?

I grow up playing fighting games at arcades, so in my own opinion, I feel more comfortable with stick. The beauty of the stick is not the stick itself, although it helps a lot in some situations, but the accesibility to the buttons. With a sitck you have 4 fingers to press the 6 available buttons, versus 2 (or 3) in the DS4. And pressing the three punches or kicks are really cumbersome on pad. I must swap HP and HK to make it better, but it is a chore. I don't like to use L shoulders because i lose my ideal position on my left thumb. And on the right side, using a different finger for hard attacks is not ideal. Dhalsim is really difficult to use on a pad (the only character in this game I think it really needs a stick), and Karim and Birdie are better with a stick, althoug they are totally playable on pad.

Now, do you really must buy a stick? I say NO. The game is very pad friendly, except Dhalsim, as I noted before. But I think part of the feeling of the game is playing as it was in a real arcade. And you don't need to buy the more expensive stick on market, you can try a cheap one and feel how it plays. I heard a lot of young people that can't do special powers on stick. You must know that you must practice a little, and later you can feel the real power of the stick.

Note apart: DS4 players, avoid the Stick on that controller, use the directional pad. I found really difficult to play fighting games on that. You only need 8 directions, and the pad already have those. The travel on the stick is longer, and you don't have precision on where are you pressing. I grew up playing on SNES too.

DS4 vs Stick?

I grow up playing fighting games at arcades, so in my own opinion, I feel more comfortable with stick. The beauty of the stick is not the stick itself, although it helps a lot in some situations, but the accesibility to the buttons. With a sitck you have 4 fingers to press the 6 available buttons, versus 2 (or 3) in the DS4. And pressing the three punches or kicks are really cumbersome on pad. I must swap HP and HK to make it better, but it is a chore. I don't like to use L shoulders because i lose my ideal position on my left thumb. And on the right side, using a different finger for hard attacks is not ideal. Dhalsim is really difficult to use on a pad (the only character in this game I think it really needs a stick), and Karim and Birdie are better with a stick, althoug they are totally playable on pad.

Now, do you really must buy a stick? I say NO. The game is very pad friendly, except Dhalsim, as I noted before. But I think part of the feeling of the game is playing as it was in a real arcade. And you don't need to buy the more expensive stick on market, you can try a cheap one and feel how it plays. I heard a lot of young people that can't do special powers on stick. You must know that you must practice a little, and later you can feel the real power of the stick.

Note apart: DS4 players, avoid the Stick on that controller, use the directional pad. I found really difficult to play fighting games on that. You only need 8 directions, and the pad already have those. The travel on the stick is longer, and you don't have precision on where are you pressing. I grew up playing on SNES too.
It seems you feel more comfortable on a stick so just go for that. If money's an issue, I'm sure someone here will gladly give some recommendations on cheaper sticks that are just as good. EDIT: Apparently you weren't asking for advice, sorry about that.

Btw, I use the stick on the DS4 and I've found little difference between using the D-pad and the stick. I can actually pull some of the more faster moves like Zangief's CA and things like walk-forward hadoken more easily with the stick as compared to the D-pad so everyone has their own preference in this regard.

It really does come down to personal preference for this game, neither stick nor pad have any sort of clear advantage.

Hehe, you're a Dhalsim player right? I used to think the FANG v Dhalsim matchup was more in Dhalsim's favour but oh man, Dhalsim actually has trouble with this matchup. My poison balls are fairly useless in this matchup, short of cancelling his air fireball from a distance but the V-skill, the V-trigger and traps are actually extremely useful against Dhalsim.

Beating my friendly neighbourhood Dhalsim player 7 matches in a row as FANG convinced me to main him. And that dude's been playing Dhalsim since SF4.

Would love to hear your thoughts on it.
That match-up favors F.A.N.G yeah, albeit slightly. Poison balls are fine to use from outside of his limb range or up-close after a knockdown for those cross-up shenanigans with his command dash or whatever it is. V-Trigger means Dhalsim will always be poisoned since it applies them on his poke normals (even on block) and in general F.A.N.G has a bit more leeway (marginally so) with block strings / frame traps because of Dhalsim's fastest normal being 4 frames instead of the usual 3.

From what I've experienced and from what I've seen when Arturo had a set with Sonicfox, it boils down to who can rush the other character down and keep him pinned first.

vixlar

It seems you feel more comfortable on a stick so just go for that. If money's an issue, I'm sure someone here will gladly give some recommendations on cheaper sticks that are just as good.

Btw, I use the stick on the DS4 and I've found little difference between using the D-pad and the stick. I can actually pull some of the more faster moves like Zangief's CA and things like walk-forward hadoken more easily with the stick as compared to the D-pad so everyone has their own preference in this regard.

It really does come down to personal preference for this game, neither stick nor pad have any sort of clear advantage.

Well, It seems that my comment sounds as what controller I must get. Actually, is for people who don't know if an Arcade Stick is a good purchase.

I play well with both controllers (i'm still to try on keyboard, but I was good on there too some time ago).

As I said, this game is very controller friendly, but a Stick is really good if you plan to spend a lot of time in this game or other fighting games.

That match-up favors F.A.N.G yeah, albeit slightly. Poison balls are fine to use from outside of his limb range or up-close after a knockdown for those cross-up shenanigans with his command dash or whatever it is. V-Trigger means Dhalsim will always be poisoned since it applies them on his poke normals (even on block) and in general F.A.N.G has a bit more leeway (marginally so) with block strings / frame traps because of Dhalsim's fastest normal being 4 frames instead of the usual 3.

From what I've experienced and from what I've seen when Arturo had a set with Sonicfox, it boils down to who can rush the other character down and keep him pinned first.
Yes, that's pretty much what I figured but it's nice to hear the opinion of a Dhalsim player too.
and yes, it's his command dash which he can be jabbed or thrown out of. (Except for the EX version which can only be thrown, not jabbed)

Gbraga

That's pretty interesting. Capcom has got some patching to do.

(Of course there's a frame buffer, so I don't want to hear excuses about a <200ms input lag being responsible for your dropped combo).

I feel like hitting combos is the least of my problems with input lag. You just adjust your timing and you're good to go. The problem is reacting. Blocking on reaction, whiff punishing, hitconfirming off of one hit, this kind of stuff gets much harder with high input lag.

They should definitely fix this to at least SF IV levels.

Doesn't Mika have a CC that launches with juggle property that's + on block? Lol
Yes, her f+HP. It's +3 on block which means f+hp xx st.lp/cr.lp is a block string.

Hey, it's still worse than Bison's st.HK being +3 on block and his cr.mp being 6 frame stratup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom