• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Sayad

People said Urien, Rog, and Laura were going to dominate the whole season and those characters are struggling compared to Karin, Necalli, and even Akuma in Top 8s.

But ahh I just want better wake up options to better even things out. That and bring back v reversals.
Rog performance so far have been comparable/better than S1 Chun even though only two notable players are using him. Urien just won a super stacked tournament this past weekend and the first Tobanga SFV, it's not the character's fault if the one top player using him doesn't travel much.

Like, who are people expecting to win stuff with Urien in the US, LI Joe or Gootecks?

FluxWaveZ

I still don't think chun was that bad in season 1

She really wasn't.

I was looking at my "Respect" tab on CFN, to see what my most viewed replay was. Decided to check out what it was, and it was something like October 2016, me playing Balrog and the opponent playing Chun-Li.

Every other moment, the opponent would be using air legs. Watching older videos really puts into perspective what was messed up in S1.

Guile
Boxer
Necalli
Karin
Ibuki

That works. But I'd personally replace Ibuki with Laura. It is very important to remember that Laura has a 2-bar V-Trigger, and she has 1k health. She can activate V-Trigger twice in a single round.

Are you implying that those characters aren't top tier and don't have problems? Because they are and do. Tournaments performance isn't everything.

Remember how S1 Chun wasn't winning anything either?

No, that's not my point. Those characters still have problems. Nobody can refute that. But in terms of how dominating the top tiers are, it's not consistent with the claims that Top 8s would only just have those three characters (guest starring a few more) and how things turned out in reality.

Are there that many notable Urien and Laura players though? And hasn't Smug been dominating every tournament he has been into? Feels like dude has placed very high lot of the time.

That's the other side of my point too. I can only think of Idom and Strider for Laura, and Brian F and Smug for Rog. The latter did really well recently, and Smug does well at NLBC, but he still gets bodied from time to time so it's not always a blow up. In terms of results, Smug has placed in Top 8s the most, but there are dozens of other players doing that more than him I think.

Just seeing one Rog as opposed to like seven is better than most people thought SFV would turn out this year.

Rog performance so far have been comparable/better than S1 Chun even though only two notable players are using him. Urien just won a super stacked tournament this past weekend and the first Tobanga SFV, it's not the character's fault if the one top player using him doesn't travel much.

Like, who are people expecting to win stuff with Urien in the US, LI Joe or Gootecks?

Again, we didn't see a mass of people rushing to Urien after all those cute combos. Things rarely ever go as predicted in terms of calling what character is going to show up in a Top 8.

If you told me Nash would be winning anything, or even getting within Top 8, I'd call you crazy. But here we are. That isn't to discount Bonchan or anything. Just that shit always plays out weird in fighting games.

Shadoken

Ed - SFIV

Wow damn you are correct. Damn that is literally every SF series getting a rep this season. Pretty cool.

Season 1 had three too - Urien, Alex and Ibuki. So it's very likely.

That was because of the big lack of SF3 characters in the base roster.

But honestly I dont think there are many Alpha characters left besides Sakura. Rose might be represented via Menat. And Dan is well Dan , Dont thin Adon is coming back either. FF chars might have their own season , since they have Alpha,SFIV and SF3 characters within themselves anyway.

I am surprised that Fei Long hasnt hit yet , hes the only popular SF2 character left. And his style is not represented at all.

MCD250

I think Urien is top five tbh. Dude has mad options and pathways that lead to easy/big damage. The "nerfs" that he got this week were more like normalizations that made his ass less busted.

kirblar

I think Urien is top five tbh. Dude has mad options and pathways that lead to easy/big damage. The "nerfs" that he got this week were more like normalizations that made his ass less busted.
Urien still has to "play fair" and rely on a bunch of stray hits for a big bulk of his damage despite having a great V-Trigger. He doesn't have that chain-potential outside of it that makes Laura/Balrog so annoying.

Neoxon

Wow damn you are correct. Damn that is literally every SF series getting a rep this season. Pretty cool.

That was because of the big lack of SF3 characters in the base roster.

But honestly I dont think there are many Alpha characters left besides Sakura. Rose might be represented via Menat. And Dan is well Dan , Dont thin Adon is coming back either. FF chars might have their own season , since they have Alpha,SFIV and SF3 characters within themselves anyway.

I am surprised that Fei Long hasnt hit yet , hes the only popular SF2 character left. And his style is not represented at all.
If that Season 3 list is accurate, I wouldn't be surprised if Fei Long was in Season 4. As you said, he's the last popular SFII character left to add (assuming that Sagat makes Season 3).

MCD250

Urien still has to "play fair" and rely on a bunch of stray hits for a big bulk of his damage despite having a great V-Trigger. He doesn't have that chain-potential outside of it that makes Laura/Balrog so annoying.

Plus I would argue that needing to play "fair" doesn't necessarily preclude from being the best, or one of the best characters in the game. Guile probably needs to play fairer than Laura, and he doesn't have that sort of explosive damage that she has, but I wouldn't hesitate to say that he's a better character than her.

Urien has amazing normals, great anti-airs that lead to mixups or big damage combos, an invincible reversal, high health/stun, good specials, easily one of the best V-Triggers and a fairly useful V-Skill. He has all the makings of a great character, so of course Capcom had to take it a step further in S2 by giving him a +2 cMK, even more health and an EX move that gets him in free.

kirblar

Plus I would argue that needing to play "fair" doesn't necessarily preclude from being the best, or one of the best characters in the game. Guile probably needs to play fairer than Laura, and he doesn't have that sort of explosive damage that she has, but I wouldn't hesitate to say that he's a better character than her.

Urien has amazing normals, great anti-airs that lead to mixups or big damage combos, an invincible reversal, high health/stun, good specials, easily one of the best V-Triggers and a fairly useful V-Skill. He has all the makings of a great character, so of course Capcom had to take it a step further in S2 by giving him a +2 cMK, even more health and an EX move that gets him in free.
My argument more is that Urien, like Guile, is really good but that it's fine because he isn't miserable to play against.

I never thought she needed the nerfs.

She needed nerfs lol, but Capcpom in their infinite wisdom, punched her in the face when a stern talking to would've gotten the job done.

Making the air legs minus and adding more recovery to the st.hp alone would have made her a very fair but still decent character.

She needed nerfs lol, but Capcpom in their infinite wisdom, punched her in the face when a stern talking to would've gotten the job done.

Making the air legs minus and adding more recovery to the st.hp alone would have made her a very fair but still decent character.

Sorry, I meant as to what she got as to what she should have gotten.

Pompadour

Except Street Fighter 1. There is like 5 characters that never made the jump to Alpha, after all.

And if FF counts as a series to rep I want my Saturday Night Slammasters rep.

Village

due to the steamcontroller update thing, it seems as though I can't get past the mission screen on the menu

So fuck me I guess

daakusedo

It didn't come late, they're just not gonna give FM for finishing Chun-li trials.
I did Ryu one's and got the money, goddamn...

Man, I'm not sure how I feel about offline modes anymore.
Been playing through tekken story/arcade, and the input reading bs AI is just so frustrating with their perfect answer to everything you do.
The final secret boss took me nearly an hour because it's just nigh impossible without relying on gimmicks that only work on AI.

Treasure battle is ok because the AI isn't as turned up and even if you lose you don't have to fight the same character again anyway, it's just an endless stream of random fights, plus the rewards are cool.

I would really enjoy something like it in SFV, but I think I would just straight up ignore arcade mode when/if they release it, I'm tired of the game deciding that I'm allowed to get a hit in now.

Village

Steam has now caused my controller on my pc to stop working with this game, and have alternate functionality I asusme trying to navigate my entire desk top instead.

If this doesn't work, I wont be able to play street fighter

and I will have wasted a fuck ton of money on a game that the thing, that allows me to play it has fucked it up.

And I don't think they will refund me

FUUUUCK MMMMEEEEE

Zackat

Steam has now caused my controller on my pc to stop working with this game, and have alternate functionality I asusme trying to navigate my entire desk top instead.

If this doesn't work, I wont be able to play street fighter

and I will have wasted a fuck ton of money on a game that the thing, that allows me to play it has fucked it up.

And I don't think they will refund me

FUUUUCK MMMMEEEEE

you cant use joy2key or something?

Village

Edit: through round about fuckery, I now have parts of the controllers I have working. its as weird as it sounds.

I'm going to have dig it and figure out what the fuck steam did to the controlers.

Edit: GOT IT

Figured out the problem for anyone else this happens to, SFV uses the Steam PC Desk top controls and the steam specific game controls. Why I don't know capcpom. I guess anywho, yeah mess with both of them. Also bonus I can now use that ps3 stick I like with the jiggly trigger because I moved the sensitivity down

Finally got a hang of piano-ing with Ed on pad. Still far from being consistent but I'm definitely finding my rhythm. It is a pain in the ass especially with my button config.

MCD250

Man, I'm not sure how I feel about offline modes anymore.
Been playing through tekken story/arcade, and the input reading bs AI is just so frustrating with their perfect answer to everything you do.
The final secret boss took me nearly an hour because it's just nigh impossible without relying on gimmicks that only work on AI.

Treasure battle is ok because the AI isn't as turned up and even if you lose you don't have to fight the same character again anyway, it's just an endless stream of random fights, plus the rewards are cool.

I would really enjoy something like it in SFV, but I think I would just straight up ignore arcade mode when/if they release it, I'm tired of the game deciding that I'm allowed to get a hit in now.
That's basically how I feel. It's why I've never been too bothered by SFV being comparatively light on SP content. At this point in life, fighting anything other than another person feels, at best, like a waste of time, and at worst it's straight up irritating. The gimmicky stuff you see in NRS games like modes that let you fight without arms or whatever doesn't interest me either.

paolo11

Jab for AA still in...and it leads to another 50/50 on the ground if a character has a command grab...

Nah this is just too far away from how I like to play...I won't stink up the thread though. I'm really out and going back to my SP games. I don't know how the pros got through this frustration period and this random guessing stuff, but I don't want any parts of it. Freakin Gief is a pure 50/50 now lol...but with normals like a Zoner.

Shoto playstyle is pretty much dead with the best one being Gouki who of course has the most mixup. Nah...this game stopped being for me after season 1.

Can't believe what Capcom has done here. Half the cast is just a guessing of tick tac toe...smh. Pretty whack meta imo.

Man, you really have an amazing Ken. It will be sad if you have it up. I do understand how you feel thought. I main Ryu haha

jett

D-Member
Can someone give me some tips or BnB's for playing as Gief. I'm struggling with this dude. I get destroyed in embarrassing ways. :p

Neoxon

Assuming that the S2 & 3 leaks are accurate, the representation split would be...

• SFI: Ryu, Ken, Birdie, Sagat
  • SFII: Chun-Li, Guile, Dhalsim, Zangief, M. Bison, Balrog, Vega, Cammy
  • SFA: Charlie Nash, Karin Kanzuki, Rainbow Mika, Sakura
  • SFIII: Alex, Ibuki, Urien, Oro, Necro, Q
  • SFIV: Juri, Crimson Viper
  • SFV: Rashid, Necalli, Laura, F.A.N.G, Ed, Kolin, Abigail, Menat, Zeku

SFV would still outnumber the others in reps, unless you get technical and list Kolin, Ed, & Zeku as SFIII, IV, & Alpha respectively.

JusDoIt

Assuming that the S2 & 3 leaks are accurate, the representation split would be...

• SFI: Ryu, Ken, Birdie, Sagat
  • SFII: Chun-Li, Guile, Dhalsim, Zangief, M. Bison, Balrog, Vega, Cammy
  • SFA: Charlie Nash, Karin Kanzuki, Rainbow Mika, Sakura
  • SFIII: Alex, Ibuki, Urien, Oro, Necro, Q
  • SFIV: Juri, Crimson Viper
  • SFV: Rashid, Necalli, Laura, F.A.N.G, Ed, Kolin, Abigail, Menat, Zeku

SFV would still outnumber the others in reps, unless you get technical and list Kolin, Ed, & Zeku as SFIII, IV, & Alpha respectively.

I'm down with this.

Top Bottom