• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Village

If anything its much cheaper to produce games now. Nobody is asking for a AAA fighting game.

Actually Given the recent success of tekken and injustice, and the eventual continued success of smash.

The general audience might be asking exactly for that. Not having enough time and money pumped into it is actually the cause of SFV's problems in the first place

I suck at fighting games, but I wanted to give SFV a shot
was planning on running through Ryu's trials and then doing his story mode

...I can not get past trial 3.
jumping hard punch -> standing medium punch -> crouching medium kick -> hadoken

half the time it doesn't register the crouching medium kick.
i keep shuriyukening when i'm trying to hadoken, or the hadoken isn't quick enough when i do pull it off.

whyyyyy

Probably because you're mashing, some of the links in this game are a bit tighter and if you mash it out it won't connect.
Instead of doing the entire combo, just try the stMP > crMK part, until you get a feel to it.
And don't do crMK with a diagonal input (down+forward), actually press straight down, or even down+back, and then just roll the input forwards before crMK connects and press punch, it's best if you just practice this part as well.

myco666

i keep shuriyukening when i'm trying to hadoken, or the hadoken isn't quick enough when i do pull it off.

whyyyyy

Does the cr.mk come out or does it get blocked? If it doesn't come out you are pressing it too early and if it gets blocked you are pressing it too late. For hadouken first make sure you can do it raw and only after that try to do cr.mk hadouken. You could also practice canceling normals by doing standing medium punch into hadouken since it can be easier than from cr.mk.

Shadoken

Actually Given the recent success of tekken and injustice, and the eventual continued success of smash.

The general audience might be asking exactly for that. Not having enough time and money pumped into it is actually the cause of SFV's problems in the first place

Am saying from Capcom , its quite obvious Capcom dont have the resources for a AAA Fighting game or they just dont know how to do one.

They used to make so many fighters back then Darkstalkers,JOJOs..etc. Why not make more fighters?
Release a Street Fighter Alpha 4 or something. It doesnt have to be a big budget 3D fighter with cinematic cutscnes or whatever.

As for SFV , SFV has the content of a budget fighter yet the asking price of $60. If it launched at $40 nobody would have complained.

Their finances are public information, they've been making profits for at least the last 8 years straight.
There was a bit of a downer in 2013 and their profits dropped (still profits though) and their cash on hand dropped as well and is where those dumb FuD about capcom being broke came from, but they've been doing pretty much the same for nearly a decade.

If anything its much cheaper to produce games now. Nobody is asking for a AAA fighting game. You have indie studios making Fighters like Skullgirls.

Dont see why Capcom cant have some low budget fighting games that cater to the hardcore audience.

Lab Zero raised $830k via crowdfunding to expand the Skullgirls roster from 8 characters, on top of whatever money was posted into the project prior to that crowdfunding campaign. It wasn't exactly a cheap game to develop.

dickroach

Does the cr.mk come out or does it get blocked? If it doesn't come out you are pressing it too early and if it gets blocked you are pressing it too late. For hadouken first make sure you can do it raw and only after that try to do cr.mk hadouken. You could also practice canceling normals by doing standing medium punch into hadouken since it can be easier than from cr.mk.

half the times it gets blocked even though i feel like I'm timing it the same every time, and if it doesn't get blocked I, I got for the hadoken which either gets blocked or i fuck up the input

I'm not mashing. I have all the moves down when I try them individually. my thumb hurts. I've been trying this for 20 minutes :[

half the times it gets blocked even though i feel like I'm timing it the same every time, and if it doesn't get blocked I, I got for the hadoken which either gets blocked or i fuck up the input

I'm not mashing. I have all the moves down when I try them individually. my thumb hurts. I've been trying this for 20 minutes :[

It'll take a lot of practice, but stop if you are getting frustrated or your hands hurt. I get better results when I am relaxed and can just repeat the motions until I get the combo down pat.

But don't feel like you have to master those combos before you proceed. I didn't finish the trials for my main character until half a year after I started playing my first fighting game.

if the hadoken gets blocked, then you aren't cancelling the crMK, you have to make the motion right after you press crMK and actually hit p when crMK connects; think of it as one smooth motion and not 2 separate ones

Village

Am saying from Capcom , its quite obvious Capcom dont have the resources for a AAA Fighting game or they just dont know how to do one.

They used to make so many fighters back then Darkstalkers,JOJOs..etc. Why not make more fighters?

Its not back in the day 2017 , there are different expectations for different franchises. There are different expectation on people in board rooms handing out the cash to do these projects.

Its not back in the day, and now is very different

dickroach

if the hadoken gets blocked, then you aren't cancelling the crMK, you have to make the motion right after you press crMK and actually hit p when crMK connects; think of it as one smooth motion and not 2 separate ones

got it!
didn't know what cancelling was. finally figured it out
I think I'm well on my way to going pro

Pompadour

If anything its much cheaper to produce games now. Nobody is asking for a AAA fighting game. You have indie studios making Fighters like Skullgirls.

Dont see why Capcom cant have some low budget fighting games that cater to the hardcore audience.

People mostly complain about lack of content, polish, graphics when it comes to shitting on fighting games. It very much seems the baseline for what a fighting game needs is to be content heavy to appeal to casuals.

Plus, fighting games are expensive in general. Making the characters are extremely expensive. Skullgirls has a pretty small roster but that still required millions of dollars to underpay their staff to achieve.

I think Capcom basically tried to do what you're describing with SFV. It's hard to peg what SFV's budget was like but it's certainly around AAA, despite that being a pretty nebulous term. If all the story crap was never created I think launch SFV would be what to expect from a hardcore SF (but less pretty, perhaps).

Even still, the hardcore community wants a new Darkstalkers but I doubt they want one that looks worse than the originals. 2D art of that caliber isn't cheap and 2D artists are becoming rarer so it'd probably end up having very little animation like BlazBlue because they certainly couldn't do it justice in 3D for cheap.

And even if that did happen Capcom has no foothold in the arcade market which they certainly would need to target to profit off of niche fighters. Tekken 7 got called barebones and it had 2 years earning money in arcades to fund its console version. Literally the outliers to the fighting game model are NRS games that are content rich in their earliest versions (and Smash which comes once a generation and sells millions).

Kikirin

I think something that'd help is knowing that there's conceptually two sorts of ways for moves to combo - 'links' and 'cancels'.

With links, the opponent is stunned long enough from your first attack for you to recover completely from it and do another attack that connects. For the mentioned trial, this is the standing medium punch into crouch medium kick part of it - do st.mp, wait for the punch animation to finish, then do the cr.mk. It'll take some trial and error to get a feel for the earliest time that your next input is accepted.

With cancels, you don't wait for your first move to completely recover before doing the second. Instead, the recovery time is 'canceled' directly into the next attack. This corresponds to the crouching medium kick into hadouken. Finish the input on the hadouken right as or shortly after the cr.mk connects instead of waiting for the cr.mk to finish. You can even use the 'down' direction of the cr.mk as the first direction for your hadouken - so down+mk > diagonal down+forward > forward + punch.

You can practice the two ideas - st.mp > cr.mk and cr.mk > hadouken - individually without needing to do the whole combo string put together. I'd suggest doing these until you have a good sense of the timing needed to combo them.

Edit: Looks like you got it figured out while I was writing this haha. 'Grats.

Lulubop

People mostly complain about lack of content, polish, graphics when it comes to shitting on fighting games. It very much seems the baseline for what a fighting game needs is to be content heavy to appeal to casuals.

Plus, fighting games are expensive in general. Making the characters are extremely expensive. Skullgirls has a pretty small roster but that still required millions of dollars to underpay their staff to achieve.

I think Capcom basically tried to do what you're describing with SFV. It's hard to peg what SFV's budget was like but it's certainly around AAA, despite that being a pretty nebulous term. If all the story crap was never created I think launch SFV would be what to expect from a hardcore SF (but less pretty, perhaps).

Even still, the hardcore community wants a new Darkstalkers but I doubt they want one that looks worse than the originals. 2D art of that caliber isn't cheap and 2D artists are becoming rarer so it'd probably end up having very little animation like BlazBlue because they certainly couldn't do it justice in 3D for cheap.

And even if that did happen Capcom has no foothold in the arcade market which they certainly would need to target to profit off of niche fighters. Tekken 7 got called barebones and it had 2 years earning money in arcades to fund its console version. Literally the outliers to the fighting game model are NRS games that are content rich in their earliest versions (and Smash which comes once a generation and sells millions).

FACTS

dickroach

thanks for writing that up anyway!
yeah, practicing the crouch-kick into the hadoken, and realizing I hadn't done it right once for thirty minutes and that it was supposed to look like that helped.

mercviper

whyyyyy

Timing on the medium punch into kick is kinda late. Like you can't hit cr.mk until the hit explosion from the st.mp disappears, and then immediately after you input the kick you need to hit toward punch to chain the hadoken. If you're pulling off shoryus by accident then try walking up and neutral jumping to start the combo instead of forward jumps because you shouldn't have any forward inputs except for the 1 hadoken.

I'm sure there's better ways and more proper terms to explain that but I'm new-ish to the fgc scene

edit: oops there's already solutions written. What I get for coming back to opened threads after lunch lol.

If you are rather certain they will throw tech it. If you are not sure if they are going to use a normal or throw do the invincible uppercut. Both options are good but can lead to you eating a ton of damage. I would just block instead unless your opponent is constantly throwing you.

Alright thanks! You've been a lot of help.

Last question for today: I would love to try to get good with charge characters. I had SF2 on SNES and never quite wrapped my head around it since.

I can do a sonic boom, or that one dashing HP that Balrog has, but not consistently, or under pressure. I'll try and the charge just won't be there.

Any advice on how to ensure one is doing the charging correctly?

Last question for today: I would love to try to get good with charge characters. I had SF2 on SNES and never quite wrapped my head around it since.

I can do a sonic boom, or that one dashing HP that Balrog has, but not consistently, or under pressure. I'll try and the charge just won't be there.

Define correctly

JusDoIt

I think it's really easy to forget now that arcades are gone that fighting games used to represent the cutting edge of video games.

Pixel art in commercial video games never exceeded what Capcom and SNK's fighting games were doing.

3D graphics were ushered into the mainstream by Virtua Fighter and Tekken.

The genre was always a showcase for the industry, which is why the expectations for these games remain high despite their relative niche status.

There are two parts to doing charge moves correctly: One is making sure that you have enough charge, and the other is doing the motion correctly. The first one is something you learn through experience, so that you have a feel for when you have charge, and the other is something that you simply grind out through practice.

myco666

Hard to say where you are exactly having the problem but honestly there isn't really much else than to grind it in training mode and try to get the feel for it. Getting comfortable enough to being able to do it in a match is other thing but that is just something that comes overtime by doing it in a match. Charge moves also have different time requirements on how long you need to charge it so might be that too.

Lab Zero went around making pitches to traditional FG publishers, but no one took the bait iirc. They especially wanted to do Darkstalkers, but Capcom wasn't interested, I guess. Obviously they also went around looking for someone among these pubs to publish SG, but once again no one was interested. At least it got made, though.

JusDoIt

Lab Zero went around making pitches to traditional FG publishers, but no one took the bait iirc. They especially wanted to do Darkstalkers, but Capcom wasn't interested, I guess. Obviously they also went around looking for someone among these pubs to publish SG, but once again no one was interested. At least it got made, though.

It's so crazy that it began as a Konami published game.

Shadoken

I wonder if they will approach Capcom again with Darkstalkers. Wasnt SG very successful?
They definitely have a much better recognition now.

ElFly

I wonder if they will approach Capcom again with Darkstalkers. Wasnt SG very successful?
They definitely have a much better recognition now.

dunno if very successful

the thing about all those alpha / marvel / darkstalkers / jojo games that capcom released in the 90s is that they weren't that successful

if Street Fighter doesn't sell well dunno if that is gonna fill them with confidence to invest in DarkStalkers

Shadoken

DS would have to be successful in the first place. That game was niche for a reason.

DS wasn't released in the same time as games like SG , where the gaming crowd was far more accepting of 2D fighters.

SF3 : OE was probably way more succesful than the original release , just like how MvC2 re-release was more succeful.
I dont see why a new DS should perform any worse than Skullgirls assuming they are equal in quality.

dunno if very successful

the thing about all those alpha / marvel / darkstalkers / jojo games that capcom released in the 90s is that they weren't that successful

if Street Fighter doesn't sell well dunno if that is gonna fill them with confidence to invest in DarkStalkers

SG seems to have 800k on Steam , and even a mobile game. I think the franchise is pretty successful given its indie status.

Pompadour

I think it's really easy to forget now that arcades are gone that fighting games used to represent the cutting edge of video games.

Pixel art in commercial video games never exceeded what Capcom and SNK's fighting games were doing.

3D graphics were ushered into the mainstream by Virtua Fighter and Tekken.

The genre was always a showcase for the industry, which is why the expectations for these games remain high despite their relative niche status.

This is very true. In the era when arcade hardware was considerably more powerful than what people had at home plus the limited focus of fighting games (two characters and a stage) the graphics could really be pushed far. That was one of the biggest appeals to casuals.

I also think this is one of the bigger reasons SF3 didn't do well despite being gorgeous. The casuals flocked to 3D since that was the hot new thing and 2D seemed old-fashioned. It seems crazy now considering SF3 still looks great and early 3D doesn't hold up nearly as well.

mbpm1

Their finances are public information, they've been making profits for at least the last 8 years straight.
There was a bit of a downer in 2013 and their profits dropped (still profits though) and their cash on hand dropped as well and is where those dumb FuD about capcom being broke came from, but they've been doing pretty much the same for nearly a decade.
OK, but I'm saying we don't know the company from the inside. How their layout/planning is going. There could be many reasons they aren't doing this.

I think visual design is the main one

No, it was because DS was super technical compared to other fighting games. It had a decent following in Japan and that was really about it. To this day, there's one in Japan kinda, but not as big as it once was obviously.

DS wasn't released in the same time as games like SG , where the gaming crowd was far more accepting of 2D fighters.

SF3 : OE was probably way more succesful than the original release , just like how MvC2 re-release was more succeful.
I dont see why a new DS should perform any worse than Skullgirls assuming they are equal in quality.

I'm not talking about Dark Ressurection. I'm talking about the original games. They were super technical and hard to play. Like shit was mad intricate. Even when fighting games were popular back in the day, nobody really fucked with those games outside Japan.

DR sold like shit, but that was partly because those games never really had a big following. To bring them back, they'd have to make them more accessible, which would kinda dilute DS and what it was.

Gotta remember that SFV was still like 4-5 years away until Sony fronted the Bison Bucks.

And this is for a popular franchise that isn't as niche as DS.

ElFly

SG seems to have 800k on Steam , and even a mobile game. I think the franchise is pretty successful given its indie status.

those examples you gave were because SF3 and MvC2 were originally released on dreamcast, and SF3, worst of all, released long years after the arcade release. don't think it is representative. compare to SF2 on SNES. it's a huge fall in sales, it wouldn't be rare that the psn version of those games outdid the dreamcast release

a lot of the skullgirls sales has been sales through the years; the game recouped costs fairly quick tho, yeah

gotta remember that skullgirls was a 8 character game initially and only later on (years later? can't remember) a few more were added, so costs for a non anemic DS game would be higher.

I don't think it is a bad idea, hell, it would probably recoup costs easily, but DS by the skullgirls guys would need to have a better sales model than Skullgirls and SF5 had. again, capcom cannot figure out how to get their second biggest franchise to sell well, and you are asking them to partner with western developers for a niche title, that's a huge risk no matter what

Shadoken

those examples you gave were because SF3 and MvC2 were originally released on dreamcast, and SF3, worst of all, released long years after the arcade release. don't think it is representative. compare to SF2 on SNES. it's a huge fall in sales, it wouldn't be rare that the psn version of those games outdid the dreamcast release

a lot of the skullgirls sales has been sales through the years; the game recouped costs fairly quick tho, yeah

gotta remember that skullgirls was a 8 character game initially and only later on a few more were added, so costs for a non anemic DS game would be higher.

I don't think it is a bad idea, hell, it would probably recoup costs easily, but DS by the skullgirls guys would need to have a better sales model than Skullgirls and SF5 had. again, capcom cannot figure out how to get their second biggest franchise to sell well, and you are asking them to partner with western developers for a niche title, that's a huge risk no matter what

MvC2 came on PS2/Xbox too. I think no 2D Fighting game sold well after the PS1 released coz everyone was sipping on the 3D koolaid. Even a huge seller like SF took a huge nose dive in the PS1 era and an ever bigger nose dive for PS2.

IMO I also think a 8 character DS game that released digitally would sell enough to recoup costs. Then sell over priced DLC to fund future characters ( Hey if your tastes are niche , ya gotta pay up ).

SFV should have easily met expectations , but literally no company in the world would launch a game like that. Its just shocking to think the game didnt even have Lobbies and VS CPU at launch. Like what were they expecting casual players to even do lol.

No seriously.

Who is going to buy DS enough to justify anything with that game.

Are people really this unaware of how niche DS was? Because it barely had a tournament presence outside of Japan. And now with Japan not really giving a shit about the console, scene, you wanna have them focus on a game that won't make shit anywhere?

You can't recoup development costs with DLC if nobody buys the game or the DLC.

Hey guys, I'm thinking I'm coming back to V. But I'm a bit out of the loop since season2.
So is there a good resource to catch up on the technicals?
Mainly, Id like to know
1. tiers
2. are all non ex dps still not invincible?
3. any other need to know bits
Thanks everyone, hopefully I can reintegrate into the community. Stoked to see edzi made it to platinum, damn

JusDoIt

I also think this is one of the bigger reasons SF3 didn't do well despite being gorgeous. The casuals flocked to 3D since that was the hot new thing and 2D seemed old-fashioned. It seems crazy now considering SF3 still looks great and early 3D doesn't hold up nearly as well.

On point.

Hey guys, I'm thinking I'm coming back to V. But I'm a bit out of the loop since season2.
So is there a good resource to catch up on the technicals?
Mainly, Id like to know
1. tiers
2. are all non ex dps still not invincible?
3. any other need to know bits
Thanks everyone, hopefully I can reintegrate into the community. Stoked to see edzi made it to platinum, damn

1. Top 5/10 are shaky as shit. Most can do well, so long as you aren't Alex, Juri, or FANG. Rog is still ridiculous tho, but Urien ain't so bad, Laura got toned down a little, and Guile is busy being solid. Ibuki is the new hot thing.
2. They are, but depends on the DP. Look above at MrCarter's post for a rundown of changes. It's at the start of the video.
3. For the most part, most characters got new shit that allows them to work better. Unless you play FANG, Juri, or Alex. Don't. You don't need the stress.

Would a DS release not just cannibalize Capcom's other fighting games (SFV and MvC:I)? They clearly intend to make a lot of money over the lifetime of those games by selling DLC, and adding yet another fighting game to their lineup would likely mean a worse return on investment on SFV and MvC:I. The development cost for a DS game could instead be invested in franchises that do not compete with their other products, for a better ROI.

Shadoken

No seriously.

Who is going to buy DS enough to justify anything with that game.

Are people really this unaware of how niche DS was? Because it barely had a tournament presence outside of Japan. And now with Japan not really giving a shit about the console, scene, you wanna have them focus on a game that won't make shit anywhere?

You can't recoup development costs with DLC if nobody buys the game or the DLC.

I am assuming if it does come out it will be dumbed down a bit but still not SFV level. Kinda like GG or KOF.

An 8 character FG for $20 would easily sell enough to recoup costs , heck just the brand name and how much Fandom Morrigan has gathered over the years. She is such a popular character. And even the franchise has seen much bigger visibility via the MVC Franchise.

Forget a new game , just reuse those MvC3 sprites and some from MvCI and reuse the engine. Throw in a couple of new chars and We could get a new game SFxT style. ( Then later port those characters to Ultimate MvCI like USF4 lmao )

Pompadour

SFV should have easily met expectations , but literally no company in the world would launch a game like that. Its just shocking to think the game didnt even have Lobbies and VS CPU at launch. Like what were they expecting casual players to even do lol.

Street Fighter X Tekken shipped with way more content but had similar sales. They probably figured it didn't matter so they saved their money.

1. Top 5/10 are shaky as shit. Most can do well, so long as you aren't Alex, Juri, or FANG. Rog is still ridiculous tho, but Urien ain't so bad, Laura got toned down a little, and Guile is busy being solid. Ibuki is the new hot thing.
2. They are, but depends on the DP. Look above at MrCarter's post for a rundown of changes. It's at the start of the video.
3. For the most part, most characters got new shit that allows them to work better. Unless you play FANG, Juri, or Alex. Don't. You don't need the stress.

Thanks! Damn I thought I heard Alex got decent buffs, guess they didnt amount to much.
Necalli player myself, so I know I have to learn to press kick to grab now.

Ucchedavāda;239549709 said:
Would a DS release not just cannibalize Capcom's other fighting games (SFV and MvC:I)? They clearly intend to make a lot of money over the lifetime of those games by selling DLC, and adding yet another fighting game to their lineup would likely mean a worse return on investment on SFV and MvC:I. The development cost for a DS game could instead be invested in franchises that do not compete with their other products, for a better ROI.

Considering the niche DS aims for, they wouldn't be in complete combat with each other, but the market for FGs is getting pretty packed right now, not just from Capcom. They'd have to find a period of cooldown, and even then, DS isn't a game people are gonna rush out and buy in droves.

I am assuming if it does come out it will be dumbed down a bit but still not SFV level. Kinda like GG or KOF.

An 8 character FG for $20 would easily sell enough to recoup costs , heck just the brand name and how much Fandom Morrigan has gathered over the years. She is such a popular character. And even the franchise has seen much bigger visibility via the MVC Franchise.

Forget a new game , just reuse those MvC3 sprites and some from MvCI and reuse the engine. Throw in a couple of new chars and We could get a new game SFxT style. ( Then later port those characters to Ultimate MvCI like USF4 lmao )

Honestly, I can't even see them doing that. GG wasn't dumbed down too much, and KOF really just had easier inputs. DS gets pretty wild, and again, it's already a niche game so if you scorn the people who want it, who's left to play it? Even dumbing it down wouldn't work. The game would still be too technical for most players to shift through. You can try and water it down but it's still stronger stuff than most games.

Most people don't give a shit about characters enough to buy a game over it. Not enough to recoup cost. Yeah people like her, but they like her in Marvel. They won't like her in DS.

Rival Schools would be a far better choice over DS. At least that isn't routed in an overtly niche history that can't be modified gameplay wise.

Thanks! Damn I thought I heard Alex got decent buffs, guess they didnt amount to much.
Necalli player myself, so I know I have to learn to press kick to grab now.

Good news for you, DP change is the same for Necaili since he's always been like that. And they didn't give Alex enough. They never do lol

Top Bottom